Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: More Power to Bikes ?
Yes 43 81.13%
No 10 18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2006, 18:32   #16
Team-BHP Support

ze point..

n_c,
maybe i'm missing the point but the Enfield bikes already are made in 350cc & 500cc variants, right?

i don't think reducing engine capacity or output is the correct way to educate bike riders (or car drivers for that matter).

for all we know our famous padmini taxis don't do much more than 30-35bhp, and the regular mopeds, scooters, bikes, etc are an average of around 7bhp - look at how most of these people drive.
[don't jump on me @ this point - if you're a safe driver, good for you - i'm talking about the ones who aren't].

maybe its asking for too much but what is desperately needed is a re-vamp of the license issuing and testing system. nothing is possible ASAP but eventually things'll work out.

our job as BHPians is to ensure that we practise what we preach on this website. our BHP Garage has speedo shots doing 180km/hr+ speeds - when speed is limited on the expressway (i don't know what it is limited to). what does that say about us????

a lot of parents make a big mistake with their chalta hai attitude when they let their underage or unlicensed kids ride / drive.

i'm not trying to single anyone out here - we're all in this together.
Old 9th February 2006, 18:37   #17
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th February 2006 at 19:00.
Old 9th February 2006, 18:38   #18
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th February 2006 at 18:59.
Old 9th February 2006, 19:42   #19
BANNED

Gee I have a better idea than limiting bikes to this and cars to that.. why don't we all just give up all forms of transport and go back to the dark ages of walking everywhere or using horses...
OR
why dont we all abandon democracy and bring in the commies?
WISEN UP NC...... it dosn't matter if people have more horsepower or less.. in this country they are still going to drive and ride like JERKS!!
Old 9th February 2006, 19:57   #20
bhp
BHPian

i agree with nitrous................get only 600cc and 1000cc bikes bcoz only the classes will be able to buy them and ride them with some responsibility...........
also there must be proper driving tests before issuing a licence.....
Old 9th February 2006, 21:28   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
Gee I have a better idea than limiting bikes to this and cars to that.. why don't we all just give up all forms of transport and go back to the dark ages of walking everywhere or using horses...
OR
why dont we all abandon democracy and bring in the commies?
WISEN UP NC...... it dosn't matter if people have more horsepower or less.. in this country they are still going to drive and ride like JERKS!!
Hey, I totally agree ... and don't forget even horses/bulls are gonna be allowed as we will have certain animal rights activists gunning !! But I promise v'll still see toppled carts on the roads and even head on collisions or maybe not too many of those but a lot of street fights coz one didn't allow the other to pass by ... I DREAD to imagine the scene then !!!

Cumon, its not about stopping bigger machines, its about parents teaching kids about their responsibilities and still v'll have a few maniacs out there !!!

My parents have raised me and given me vehicles but dad always stressed on over pushing though he till date luvs them engines -- bigger and better ( Thats why he's taking the Palio from me ) !! So like him there are loads of parents whi have instilled the right road fundas into their kids so why deprive them of that pleasure ...

Cheers
Old 9th February 2006, 21:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Guys,

After reading about the Bajaj 250cc bike - a thought crossed my mind - should bike riders in India be given more powerful bikes?

I dont think so - looking at the way these guys ride. No BASIC DRIVING SENSE - NO PATIENCE - LANE CUTTING - NO HELMETS and what ever possible ways and means not to ride safetly are rampant.

But then say about 10 % of those real bikers will suffer 100 and 125 cc machines and crib about not having more powerful bikes. but i still say - we dont need to give more powerful bikes to the riders now , not atleast till they mature !

your say ?
cmon nc people getting powerful cars or bikes do have to understand their responsibility and most of them do and those who do not its their f****n problem they ll suffer sooner or later we cant do anything about it
Old 9th February 2006, 22:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

yeah there is a problem. Not just with bike riders, but all kinds of drivers. Often its a case of when you can do it, and bikes have more options in the city. On the highways, the opposite is often truer - as the 'street experiences' section on this forum bears testimony to. Cars at 3x the speed limit, trying to take the vehicle to its limit on public roads is not sane/safe driving. The same goes for buses, trucks....
The solution is not in the type of vehicles sold, but the licence issuance, enforcement, education. Its the wrong solution for the problem. In fact, like someone said, assuming that bigger bikes imply more stability, better braking etc (why that should be the case is another debate), the converse might be marginally truer.
Old 9th February 2006, 22:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Hope u know that Japan has a 276 bhp, 180 kph Restrictions in every car to be legal. Fast cars are detuned electronically to be road-legal.
This restriction stresses on the safety concerns.

Over a period of time, this can be implemented in our country for bikes too.
Old 9th February 2006, 23:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
our job as BHPians is to ensure that we practise what we preach on this website. our BHP Garage has speedo shots doing 180km/hr+ speeds - when speed is limited on the expressway (i don't know what it is limited to). what does that say about us????

it says that MANSON is a prick who chose the expressway to see what his car maxxes out at, he should have instead tried doing that at a market place, carter road or marine drive like those other excited souls we see around, atleast that would be relatively safer, RIGHT?

seriously speaking it was the first time i really got to drive on the expressway, and that too my newly acquired possession, i was enthusiastic and thats about it.

and talking about the forum team-bhp doesn't discourage power, considering we have a modifications section, and are always caught drooling over one of those tricked rides.
But one thing the forum surely promotes is using whatever amount of one possesses RESPONSIBLY.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 9th February 2006 at 23:11.
Old 9th February 2006, 23:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Manson, don't misunderstand NC.
There are a lot of people who've posted their top speeds and he didn't mean U.

@NC: This is an auto-forum.We all love speed and do things at our own risk taking the maximum safety precautions as possible when maxxing out our cars/ bikes.

PS:I'm answering this with a neutral POV.
There have been misunderstandings on this same forum and I'd do my best to make sure it doesn't repeat ever.

Last edited by nitrous : 9th February 2006 at 23:25.
Old 9th February 2006, 23:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Guys, Hope u know that Japan has a 276 bhp, 180 kph Restrictions in every car to be legal. Fast cars are detuned electronically to be road-legal.
This restriction stresses on the safety concerns.

Over a period of time, this can be implemented in our country for bikes too.

Is that a 276bhp OR 180kmph or both??
Old 9th February 2006, 23:44   #28
Team-BHP Support

realization...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
it says that MANSON is a prick who chose the expressway to see what his car maxxes out at
But one thing the forum surely promotes is using whatever amount of one possesses RESPONSIBLY.

manson.
manson,
don't take this personally. this wasn't an attack on you. i'm referring to all of us who frequent this website, in general.
infact, if you take a look at the Top Speed thread you'll probably see my listed top speeds too.
all of us have tried our stunts on the expressway, or where-ever possible.
what i was stressing on was a start to revamping our rules and the transportation authority in general.
that doesn't mean it is fool-proof - as we've seen from the numerous cases of terrible 2/4 wheeler accidents all over the world even in countries which have advanced driving / license issuing laws.

ad
Old 9th February 2006, 23:59   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
manson,
don't take this personally. this wasn't an attack on you. i'm referring to all of us who frequent this website, in general.
infact, if you take a look at the Top Speed thread you'll probably see my listed top speeds too.
all of us have tried our stunts on the expressway, or where-ever possible.
what i was stressing on was a start to revamping our rules and the transportation authority in general.
that doesn't mean it is fool-proof - as we've seen from the numerous cases of terrible 2/4 wheeler accidents all over the world even in countries which have advanced driving / license issuing laws.

ad
didn't mean to sound rude if i did, just got slightly cheesed off as i had just given an explanation in my honda city garage comments section, and now the above post.

anyways its back to sweetness now, and no matter how much i and the other bhpians love speed and all that, i think what you are suggesting in terms of revamping the whole system of insurance, driving permits e.t.c is a more than required step.

but just yesterday while i was cruising at about 60 km/h (which i do very often) on the eastern express highway towards thane this honda city (ohc) all kitted and stuff whizzed past, and it didnt take long for me to turn a slow, boring fuel saver drive to a quickie. but then all what happened between that city (which was driven almost responsibly excpet for a mild thing here and there) and my car was some real good fast lane driving, and i do remember waving out to slow down whenever i felt we needed to.
all this was fast, but to a great extent almost safe, that guy and i just had some fun with our rides, waved out and went our ways after that. so its not the power, its the maturity levels that need to be given a hard look.

manson.

p.s. though not very attractive but my car and the other ohc were the same colour, and i so hoped i could get a video of that drive, 2 similar cars whizzing past and stuff . . .

Last edited by manson : 10th February 2006 at 00:04.
Old 10th February 2006, 01:48   #30
BHPian

Does it really matter.. Even if bikes of 20bhp+ are NOT introduced still the scenario will remain the same.. Instead of riding these fast bikes fast they'l ride their moderate bikes faster.. I mean they can easily ride their 125-150 cc bikes to speeds around 80-100 and even bikes of 20bhp+ are gonna be ridden the same speed in cities.. On highways it really doesn't matter - U get wat u give

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks