Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 21:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome

The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome, today found one guy selling it got 2 packets and used half packet to rub off the rust off my rx and trust me it has magical properties. the front wheel and the front mudguard were beyond magic to fix, so have to replace them, electroplating is more expensive than a replacement.

Pramod
Old 21st September 2011, 21:13   #2
BHPian

Re: The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome

Pramod,
No brand name , no information on who the manufacturer is? I could really use this powder!
Regards,
Ashok
Old 21st September 2011, 21:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Pramod,
No brand name , no information on who the manufacturer is? I could really use this powder!
Regards,
Ashok

It was sold on the street by a hawker, he had some gleaming mudguards and rims, all done up using this powder, if you want some find out anyone from Trivandrum who shuttles to Chennai and i will gift you a pack. due to the contents of the pack courier operators will not let me courier it.

and the best part i paid just 20 bucks and 2 hours of rubbing the bike and its gleaming

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 23:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Occasionally this powder is sold on the footpaths on the Railway Station Road in Ernakulam. Demonstrates and sells. Seen in Trivandrum also years back. But boy, it works.
Old 21st September 2011, 23:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its nothing but chalk powder. It will remove the rust but make surrounding areas more rust prone. Its a band aid fix that will ruin the parts in the long run.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:44   #6
BHPian

So any good brand recommendations....... the handle bar has got small annoying rust spots
cheers!!
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I learned long ago that the easy way is usually not the best way.

Of course, I have no idea what is really in the magic pink powder but I'm guessing it is some sort of hard abrasive material which may range in hardness from chalk to garnet. As it works so easily it is probably much harder than chalk.

The harder the material the faster it removes rust.
The harder the material the faster it removes metals like chrome.

Once the protective chrome plating is removed, instant rust will be the result unless the metal surface is coated with some sort of "clear coat" paint which is a temporary fix to say the most.

In my opinion it is better to use the least abrasive material. This is why I suggest using either steel wool or better yet if you can find it, "brass wool".
Both of these are matted material consisting of very fine, almost hair like wires and neither of them are as hard as chrome.
Because they are softer, they will not remove chrome plating unless a great deal of energy is expended in rubbing the surfaces.

The chrome plating on my Royal Enfield leaves a lot to be desired as it is very thin but it is better than nothing. That is why I wax it using the best auto wax I can find.

This auto wax is the kind made specifically for use on "clear coated" auto finishes. It contains no abrasives at all.
Wax is temporary but when it is newly applied it helps the thin chrome to keep water away from the steel underneath it.

The only place where wax or "clear coat paint" won't work is on the exhaust pipe and silencer. These get too hot for either material to last for over a few seconds after the engine is started.
They will work to protect the exhaust or silencers chrome if your not going to use the bike for a few months.
Waxing the cooler plated and painted areas often will keep your motorcycle looking new for years.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 22nd September 2011 at 09:59.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Its nothing but chalk powder. It will remove the rust but make surrounding areas more rust prone. Its a band aid fix that will ruin the parts in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I learned long ago that the easy way is usually not the best way.
Agree!
Brasso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is a better alternative to take out rust spots and in preserving the original chrome. It is available locally.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome, today found one guy selling it got 2 packets and used half packet to rub off the rust off my rx and trust me it has magical properties. the front wheel and the front mudguard were beyond magic to fix, so have to replace them, electroplating is more expensive than a replacement.

Pramod
Pictures would help, especially if you have before and after pictures. Some close up pictures (After) would help the experts here gauge if there is any damage due to the hardness if he powder.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from the Pink Powder, as others have rightly said. I have found out, from experience, that this is a quick-fix and results in complete damage to the whole part, later on. After you have used this a few times, you will notice small Pits getting formed on the whole surface and these Pits would develop and spread Rust.

Just throw these away into your Garbage Bin.
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:47   #11
BHPian

Ive used a similar powder here in Mumbai. The difference is it is white and not pink. It costs something around 20 bux and is available at almost all bike spare part shops. Ive been using it for a few years now on my bro's Karizma (silencer heat shied and handle bar) and am sompletely satisfied. It not only removes rust spots but shines the chrome parts. If im not mistaken its called Chakachak Fatafat chromium polish.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Stay away from the Pink Powder
Its not that bad, when a rust spot appears its usually a small rust spot and then it grows, so what this powder does is it scraps off the excess growth around the spot and also scrapes the rust from the spot leaving it to be barely visible, i have used it and it works, the mechs in my area swear by the quality of results and any chrome part is prone to rust over a period of time. See i just do not want to discourage you but using stern statements like
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Just throw these away into your Garbage Bin.
is little uncalled for, you might have had a bad experience so enlighten others but dont just kill an idea like this. My bike is 19 years old and it still has the original shocks, rims and silencer that it came with and my house is just 3 kms away from the sea and this bike has gone around india with my bro and hence has taken a lot of abuse and this powder really showed its magic and those parts look like new now, i know i have to take preventive measures like rubbing a thin film of grease on those chrome parts else it will get rusted soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
am sompletely satisfied. It not only removes rust spots but shines the chrome parts. If im not mistaken its called Chakachak Fatafat chromium polish.
Good to hear from a long term user, and the name is quite catchy .

Today i took the front mud guard for plating and it will cost 375 (a new one made locally is 250-350) and all he could guarantee is 5-6 months, this is usually the lifespan of chrome anyway.

I will take some pics and post it tomorrow.

Pramod
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Rust= iron oxide. When you say "fix" rust you're just chipping off the oxidised iron layer that may in some cases be holding the whole thing together. So, like a lot of folks have said, it's a temporary and illusory solution and sooner or later your bike will return it (worse than its) original state, as long as the factors causing it to rust in the first place exist (mostly environmental).

No offence but what on earth would prompt you to try a mysterious pink ANYTHING on your bike, presumably teh love of your life? Some of these magical cures do more harm than good. Treat the advice in the right spirit.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar

Its not that bad, when a rust spot appears its usually a small rust spot and then it grows, so what this powder does is it scraps off the excess growth around the spot and also scrapes the rust from the spot leaving it to be barely visible, i have used it and it works, the mechs in my area swear by the quality of results and any chrome part is prone to rust over a period of time. See i just do not want to discourage you but using stern statements like

is little uncalled for, you might have had a bad experience so enlighten others but dont just kill an idea like this. My bike is 19 years old and it still has the original shocks, rims and silencer that it came with and my house is just 3 kms away from the sea and this bike has gone around india with my bro and hence has taken a lot of abuse and this powder really showed its magic and those parts look like new now, i know i have to take preventive measures like rubbing a thin film of grease on those chrome parts else it will get rusted soon.

Good to hear from a long term user, and the name is quite catchy .

Today i took the front mud guard for plating and it will cost 375 (a new one made locally is 250-350) and all he could guarantee is 5-6 months, this is usually the lifespan of chrome anyway.

I will take some pics and post it tomorrow.

Pramod
I've been unfortunate then, but parts not scrubbed with this powder repeatedly, did not rust as much as the ones that were!
And I paid for it by having to replace those parts. So, I'll stick to my guns.
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Rust= iron oxide. When you say "fix" rust you're just chipping off the oxidised iron layer that may in some cases be holding the whole thing together.
I am not talking about rust in the frame and all, i am talking specifically about the rust on the chrome parts and if rust is holding things together then the obvious choice is to replace the part. This so called fix is better and cheaper than plating the part

Quote:
So, like a lot of folks have said, it's a temporary and illusory solution and sooner or later your bike will return it (worse than its) original state, as long as the factors causing it to rust in the first place exist (mostly environmental).
True, but what i am suggesting here is not a permanent solution. But doesn't it hold true for newly chromed articles as well?

Quote:
No offence but what on earth would prompt you to try a mysterious pink ANYTHING on your bike, presumably teh love of your life?
See i just tried something which most of the people recommended and it worked, so i am just spreading a word of mouth, its up to people to decide whether to use it or not, no guns pointed at any one

Quote:
Some of these magical cures do more harm than good. Treat the advice in the right spirit.
Taken in the right spirit and just wanted to higlight the word "some" used by you in the above line.

Here are some before pics

After pics will be uploaded tomorrow, it didn't work on the front end

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks