Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:45   #1

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed

I am a big fan of 2stroke bikes , i have owned several bikes in the past, but i always wanted to pick a junk bike and restore it from scratch after a long search found a 2000 model in a bad condition, price quoted was 23k and after negotiation picked it up for 19k, could not wait for long to ride it, so stripped it completely ,there was lot of rust ,got it completely painted all, silver parts were painted grey the other parts were painted red there was on work on the engine so the build happened in 2 weeks, now i have a problem which i think the gurus will be able to help me

1. The bike is currently running on first oversize(.25) my mech told me the piston has been damaged and a rebore is needed, i want to know what will be the FE after that.

2. There is a another problem the bike starts to flutter in any gear i have changed the main and pilot jet and also float pin but no difference the FE now is about 20kmpl i want to use this bike as my daily ride so please help in resolving this issue. pic of the build will be uploaded shortly.

Pics of before and work in progress
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-17092011028.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-17092011029.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-17092011030.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-25082011018.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-25082011019.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-25082011020.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-25082011021.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-19092011031.jpg  

Last edited by PowerPort : 24th September 2011 at 14:27.
Old 29th September 2011, 00:17   #2
BHPian

Re: First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPort View Post
I am a big fan of 2stroke bikes , i have owned several bikes in the past, but i always wanted to pick a junk bike and restore it from scratch after a long search found a 2000 model in a bad condition, price quoted was 23k and after negotiation picked it up for 19k, could not wait for long to ride it, so stripped it completely ,there was lot of rust ,got it completely painted all, silver parts were painted grey the other parts were painted red there was on work on the engine so the build happened in 2 weeks, now i have a problem which i think the gurus will be able to help me

1. The bike is currently running on first oversize(.25) my mech told me the piston has been damaged and a rebore is needed, i want to know what will be the FE after that.

2. There is a another problem the bike starts to flutter in any gear i have changed the main and pilot jet and also float pin but no difference the FE now is about 20kmpl i want to use this bike as my daily ride so please help in resolving this issue. pic of the build will be uploaded shortly.

Pics of before and work in progress
To your Point 1: - You can go for rebore, offcourse don't ask for mileage from RX, my bet would be around 30+ if it is tuned good. Remember lean mixture would give good FE however, would ruin your bore in the long run.

To your Point 2:- If I were you would go like this.
1. Check if the spark plug is good.
2. Clean the carb and ensure pilot and main jets are dirt free.
3. Clean/Replace Air Filter.
4. Air Fuel Screw tuning should be apt for flutter free.
5. Quality of fuel.
6. Right mixture of 2T oil to a liter of petrol ( 30ml is recommended by Yamaha)

Seniors please feel free to correct if I had missed out any for the thread starter should know.
Old 29th September 2011, 08:26   #3

Thanks sriram for the suggestion the fluttering has stopped now.
The things I did were
1.changed the spark plug to NGK recomended by many bhpians.
2. Changed the airfilter.
3. Replaced main jets to the old one which was in the bike earlier.
After all these changes the bike is running well, FE has also improved.
FE is abt 35+, as I don't have a spedo one the bike do not the exact figures.
There is another concern, I have replaced the rings and the is a strange sound, my mech told me that the sound will reduce after some time,well is it true? If yes how long will it take?

The after pics will be posted shortly.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:53   #4

Finally found time to click some pics, would expect you all to comment one the final outcome, also some suggestion will be of great help.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011034.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011036.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011035.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011037.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011038.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011039.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011040.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011041.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011042.jpg  

First Timer- Restoring a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed-29092011043.jpg  

Old 29th September 2011, 17:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice colour on the machine. The typical red!
Old 30th September 2011, 06:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice restoration, painting looks good. Any reason why you have taken off the speedometer console? Appears a bit gross in that area coupled with the non standard head light stays
Job seems to be well done and congrats for your ride.
Old 5th October 2011, 23:15   #7

Quote:
There is another concern, I have replaced the rings and the is a strange sound, my mech told me that the sound will reduce after some time,well is it true? If yes how long will it take?
I still have not been able to sort this issue, any suggestions?

Regards
Old 6th October 2011, 03:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
What exactly was that strange sound? After the rings replacement you could hear humming noise for around 1k km. Try changing the engine oil after 1k km.
Old 6th October 2011, 08:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still have not been able to sort this issue, any suggestions?

Regards
Where is this noise originating from? Is it from the Engine Bottom or the Cylinder? If its from the cylinder, then problem would be the clearance that would be given during the reboring. This will not impede much except for a irritating ride.
If its a noise from Engine Bottom need to isolate the source which is causing this noise.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
To your Point 1: - You can go for rebore, offcourse don't ask for mileage from RX, my bet would be around 30+ if it is tuned good.

6. Right mixture of 2T oil to a liter of petrol ( 30ml is recommended by Yamaha)

1. RX135 4 speeders are known for their good FE. With controlled riding, u can expect as much as 40-45 kmpl. I have known bikes to deliver 47-48 under careful riding using the very accurate reserve to reserve checking method.

2. Yamaha NEVER recommends premix ratios coz the bike is always expected to be run on the autolube system.

30ml/lit is the approximation used by rx riders using oilpumps with the fact that 1000 ml of 2t oil is used up every 1000 km. So assuming the rx has FE of 30kmpl, 30 ml oil will be used per liter.

That is just an approximation.

Please stick to the oil-pump.

Last edited by alok_balsekar : 6th October 2011 at 10:32.
Old 6th October 2011, 22:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Where is this noise originating from? Is it from the Engine Bottom or the Cylinder? If its from the cylinder, then problem would be the clearance that would be given during the reboring. This will not impede much except for a irritating ride.
If its a noise from Engine Bottom need to isolate the source which is causing this noise.
The noise is from the cylinder , as my mech had told me that piston is damaged and said that the sound might reduce after some kms(carbon deposit), but I have used the bike for more than 500 kms but no difference.
Is it advisable to rebore and put a .50 piston, and what will be the expected FE? As I intend to use the bike as my daily ride.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:21   #12

PowerPort,

Can you please let me know where you have do the restoration ? Is thisMch still available ? I recently accuired a Rx 135 4 speed and it needs a Pait job

Help much appreciated
Old 8th April 2019, 21:56   #13

Help/Suggestion to fix/upgrade Yamaha RX 135 (4 Speed)

Looking to fix/upgrade my Yamaha RX 135 slightly. I am 1st owner, 18k run. Bike has been sitting idle over a decade. Recently got it serviced and running again now but has some issues.

Need suggestions for -

1. Head Light Upgrade (One of the new LED Lights), but would it require additional/updated winding etc. because the stock system seems to pulse with the engine and overall light is weak (unless decent RPMs).

2. Front shockers - have gone bad, I am told. So needed to be replaced. Any upgrade options? or Replace with stock?

3. Rear shockers - No issues. Just thinking about upgrade - SNS, Nitrox, Stock?

4. Disk Brake? Recommended - which one? or keep stock?

5. Huge problem - Extreme vibration over 60-70. I forgot whether thats the nature of the bike, or is this a problem. Engine has never been opened. I was told by a mechanic, that there is a slight knocking during throttle, but I am not sure. All I know is, if bike is on center stand and I rev it, it vibrates too much and starts to move slightly (if standing on a hard surface) because of the vibration. During ride also going above 70 becomes VERY uncomfortable and fearful.

6. Engine oil leak - should be a relatively easy problem to fix.

7. Petrol smell when its left at ON. Have to turn it off (even for 1-2 hour) otherwise too much petrol smell and bike gets over. Carburetor issue?

8. Quite a lot of white smoke on idling, I am assuming, much smoke while running too.

9. Bike also needs a paint and buff job.

Any suggestions (for all or any point) is welcome.
Tyres already upgraded to Michelin Sirac.

I am in Lucknow, but can also take it to Delhi, if needed. I want the best for it (proper installations/upgrades/paint etc.)
Old 9th April 2019, 09:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help/Suggestion to fix/upgrade Yamaha RX 135 (4 Speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicD View Post
1. Head Light Upgrade (One of the new LED Lights), but would it require additional/updated winding etc. because the stock system seems to pulse with the engine and overall light is weak (unless decent RPMs).
I would advise to stay away from those funky Led lights as the throw is extremely poor and the it affects the vehicles coming in the opposite direction, however if you want to know how its done, you need to convert the Bike to run DC all over, for this you would need a bigger battery, a beefed up charging circuit (90/100 Kit) and a Better RR unit.

Quote:
2. Front shockers - have gone bad, I am told. So needed to be replaced. Any upgrade options? or Replace with stock?
These things can be repaired, I believe your mech has meant to replace the inner tubes and the oil seals.

Quote:
3. Rear shockers - No issues. Just thinking about upgrade - SNS, Nitrox, Stock?
These disturb the ride height and dynamics of the bike, But are comfortable, look for something in rx weight class, Apache RTR though heavy, was a mod people used to preffer

Quote:
4. Disk Brake? Recommended - which one? or keep stock?
Pulsar, Gladiator, CBZ, RXZ 5 speed, Unicorn, Apache + Fiero hub are some options

Quote:
5. Huge problem - Extreme vibration over 60-70. I forgot whether thats the nature of the bike, or is this a problem. Engine has never been opened. I was told by a mechanic, that there is a slight knocking during throttle, but I am not sure. All I know is, if bike is on center stand and I rev it, it vibrates too much and starts to move slightly (if standing on a hard surface) because of the vibration. During ride also going above 70 becomes VERY uncomfortable and fearful.
Check for the chain sprockets, especially the little one, check if you have all the rubbers in the bore.

Quote:
6. Engine oil leak - should be a relatively easy problem to fix.
Not true, splitting the crank is a major headache in an RX unlike an RD 350, so while you are at it get the crank also looked at and replace all the engine bearings.

Quote:
7. Petrol smell when its left at ON. Have to turn it off (even for 1-2 hour) otherwise too much petrol smell and bike gets over. Carburetor issue?
Looks like you have an overflow, you will have to replace the float needle jet. But before that you have to clean the tank and replace the fuel tap and the filter also clean the carb. There is a link in my signature that can take you to my youtube channel which would answer most of your questions.

Quote:
8. Quite a lot of white smoke on idling, I am assuming, much smoke while running too.
Too Much of oil, it could be your engine oil burning in the combustion chamber due to failed crank seals. Check you 2T oil injection(if its the stick pump) or premix ratio. Take a plug reading also to ascertain this.

Quote:
9. Bike also needs a paint and buff job.
That can bring a huge difference, I have had rusty old clunker bikes, the moment you put a lick of paint and make sure all the bright works shine, it make the bike come out really well.

Pramod
Old 29th December 2019, 00:48   #15

I have purchased a Yamaha RX 135 4 speed from a retired bank employee in the last week of November 2019. I plan to restore and keep the bike, because I am a big fan of Yamahas. My first priority was to get the paperworks right, and yesterday the bike has been in my name as per the m parivahan app. Now, I want to get the mechanicals in perfect order. I am facing the following problems:

1.The primary problem is shifting gears. The bike starts with one kick, and I have already replaced the spark plug. But downward shifting from neutral to first gear and again upward shifting from first to second gear is making a lot of noise as if I am revving the bike.

2. Just after I shift into first gear, the bike suddenly lunges forward.

3. The bike runs fine in second and third gear but the engine stops as soon as I apply the brakes.So, crossing roads has become a nightmare.

But the engine is in great shape and I pickup is excellent.I have also found a mechanic (a young lad in his 20s) who is quite proficient at repairing two strokes. He opened the engine cover and I saw that the inside was flooded with engine oil. Now, what are my options? The authorised Yamaha service center is near my home and I have seen them servicing RX bikes.

I also know the mechanics fairly well because they service my FZS. But I will not be allowed into the service area as it will be against their company policy. Alternatively, I can give the bike for servicing to this young mechanic but in that case I have to procure the spare parts myself. And I do not know where to get them in Kolkata. Which option do you suggest?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th December 2019 at 07:37. Reason: Formatting. Please take the time out to format your post properly before submitting. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks