Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 14:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Acceleration issue in my Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
+ 1.

First check if there's any oil leak before you take out the bike a ride every morning by inspecting the ground. If no, check if the bike 'smokes' bad when you rev. If its smoking, Bajaj a.s.s. maybe right.
Thanks JK,
Therez no oil leak, and there is no white smoke under hard revving.
(Could the lack of white smoke be attributed to my FFE)?
Old 28th December 2011, 14:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+ 1.

First check if there's any oil leak before you take out the bike a ride every morning by inspecting the ground. If no, check if the bike 'smokes' bad when you rev. If its smoking, Bajaj a.s.s. maybe right.

Edit: FFE from? If of bad design,it can cause problem.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 14:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Does FFE + K&N really mess up the bike
They might need to open the head to check .I think FFE + K&N both in a bad state of tune ruined the bike.
But again pulsars dont have that quality in parts to take up excessive mods.I had to reset the valves few times and replace them once even though the bike runs on stock setup.

Last edited by bullboy : 28th December 2011 at 14:30.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 14:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Edit: FFE from? If of bad design,it can cause problem.
Got the FFE done from Chennai, Hardeep (Mount Road), Design seems to be Ok (As per a Mech Eng Colleague)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
They might need to open the head to check .I think FFE + K&N both in a bad state of tune ruined the bike.
But again pulsars dont have that quality in parts to take up excessive mods.I had to reset the valves few times and replace them once even though the bike runs on stock setup.
Ouch that really hurts,I really didnt tune the bike as such, Had installed the K&N 1060C, but didnt to a Carb rejet, just did the adjustment and the bolted on the FFE after my OEM exhaust had rusted.

So Shall I go back to my stock setting (Original Airfilter + Stock Exhaust) and then check the usage. I checked with a local mech, and he was like
the head gasket needs to be replaced,and the pasting needs to be scrapped,and new paste and gasket need to go on,and there is always a chance of a slight misalignment and your mileage can take a hit or you start spewing a lot of white smoke. (Similar thing was again confirmed by another mechanic from a local bajaj a.s.s.)

So the Solution as I surmrise is
a) Remove the head, get the Piston rings and Valves checked
b) Change to stock setting - Airfilter as well as the Exhaust.

right?

regarding the bad state of tune, is there a way i can get it corrected?
Old 28th December 2011, 15:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
the head gasket needs to be replaced,and the pasting needs to be scrapped,and new paste and gasket need to go on,and there is always a chance of a slight misalignment and your mileage can take a hit or you start spewing a lot of white smoke
I disagree with this . My bikes head was opened many times , a couple of times by Bajaj ASC to fix knocking sound and then by my local mech to seat valves and later to change them. Its sealed properly , no leaks or smoke none.
I still get around 50kpl +/- 2/3 kms.
Now I could see the head in my bike is seated more properly that it was new LOL.

Once everything is back to stock, you mech will be able to tune the carb properly.
Idle speed around 1000-1200 rpm.
Air screw can be 2 turns open max from close.But might need slight adjustment to get correct idle speed.

Last edited by bullboy : 28th December 2011 at 15:33.
Old 28th December 2011, 15:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I disagree with this .
Let me try find a competent Mechanic and get the Piston rings checked.

On the same, i have another question as well, Assuming if I have to go for a complete Bore Piston and cylinder Kit, Can I go for a P200's kit or the New 180 DTSi's kit

Thanks Buddy, Right, i get your point. Somehow the reliability is always compromised the moment K&N Or FFE is brought into Picture.

Does K&N really affect your bike, I heard that the filters will allow dust to get inside the cylinders and they end up messing with the head.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 28th December 2011 at 15:48.
Old 28th December 2011, 15:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
P200's kit or the New 180 DTSi's kit
If going for P200's kit
Your avg might take a hit.
But again you might need to upjet .Also the exhaust need to be checked (not quiet sure on this part).
200's future availability will also be a question.
Considering the weak mechanicals of pulsar its better to stick to stock
Old 29th December 2011, 10:24   #23
BANNED

First dump the K n N filter, it simply helps engine to eat more dust and dirt, go back to stock filter and stock pipe as FFE pipe is single pod 4 stroke bike will not help much, we just get the mental power due to its loud sound, try racing with stock bike you'll get the figure of actual gain.Still if you want after market filter try Uni pod filters but again upjetting is required.
I am running this filter in my all bikes.
Try some two stroke bike on pipes if you want to feel the real power, i am sure you'll end up dumping the whole bike.
You can install 220 cylinder kit as well but choice is yours, we have done conversion of friends avanger 180 to avanger 220 with oil cooler almost 3 years back.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
You can install 220 cylinder kit as well but choice is yours, we have done conversion of friends avanger 180 to avanger 220 with oil cooler almost 3 years back.
Thanks Ajay, - Plan is to dump the K&N and the FFE , and you are right, I didnt find any performance improvement, though i liked the exhaust growl and note. Mid range improved very slightly (I was bored with my stock set up and hence had gone for this around an year and half back)

I really am interested in the 200/220, but if its 220, What would be the approximate cost involved? Can i contain it <15K. The reason being that, i am planning to for a new bike later this year but will be keeping this one as well.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:13   #25
BANNED

No idea about the cost involved, seeing Bajaj spare prices it should be under 15K, visit the showroom and get the details.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Thanks Ajay, - Plan is to dump the K&N and the FFE , and you are right, I didnt find any performance improvement, though i liked the exhaust growl and note. Mid range improved very slightly (I was bored with my stock set up and hence had gone for this around an year and half back)

I really am interested in the 200/220, but if its 220, What would be the approximate cost involved? Can i contain it <15K. The reason being that, i am planning to for a new bike later this year but will be keeping this one as well.
I would suggest that you try playing around with pilot and main jets before you decide to put away the filter ?
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 14:04   #27
BHPian

A 220 Stock exhaust will cost you around 4.5k , 180 was around 3.5k when i last checked , might have gone up.
With the remaining amount I'm not quiet sure you will be able to change all the necessary parts to that of 220 (kitting) + tire upgrade.

IMO, its not worth to do ,instead sell off the bike add 15k that you have in hand and take some loan and get a good bike like RTR ,if you like.

If it was a two stroke then it would have been worth spending the money on reboring stuff.

Or better bring back the bike to stock and ride round.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 14:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that you try playing around with pilot and main jets before you decide to put away the filter ?
Thanks JK, - Finding somebody competent to do that had been my issue.
I had upsized to Karizma's jets when i was in TVM but then brought back to Stock again. Will give it a shot.

Quote:
If it was a two stroke then it would have been worth spending the money on reboring stuff.

Or better bring back the bike to stock and ride round.
Just out of curiosity, Whats the worst thing that would happen If i continue to ride the bike the way it is and topping up oil ever 1K Km,
(Crank Shaft breakage?)

I dont want to sell this bike, and yes might as well bring it to the stock set up. On the newer bike, waiting for KTM 200 vs T'Bird 500 .
Old 29th December 2011, 14:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Whats the worst thing that would happen If i continue to ride the bike the way it is and topping up oil ever 1K Km,
1. Pollution
2. Loss of power , hence less kpl.
3. Stress to engine internals.
4. Worn out piston rings can damage cylinder wall. Engine death eventually

I also had high hopes for KTM200 ,but the top speed according to reviews are around 130kph.
Old 29th December 2011, 15:21   #30
BANNED

First open the head and find out whether really a rebore job is required or not, else just change the worn out parts, pack the head and ride it with stock pipe and filters.
You'll be more then happy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks