Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 09:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Acceleration issue in my Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3

Make-Pulsar 180 UG3
Kms Done- 29000
Riding terrain- Till 25000 kms 30% city and 70% Highway. From 25000 till now,its reverse.

Now the Issue.I noticed this yesterday when i was tried to overtake a slow moving indica.I was at 50 kmph in 5th gear,4000 RPM.I twisted the throttle.The engine roared but the speed didnt increase proportionally.Its as if the engine is revving but not able to transmit the power to the wheels.I drive properly and my bike is serviced every 2500 kms.Just had a engine overhaul 3000 kms ago. I am to take it to the Bajaj service but wanted to know what is causing this problem so that its diagonised properly and Bajaj wont rip me off telling nonsense reasons!
Old 12th October 2011, 09:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Acceleration issue in my 180 UG3

Check the Clutch has proper play in it.
Ensure that the bike has not slipped into false neutral. Pulsar has this problem of false neutrals but mostly attributed to improper clutch settings and engine oil.
Check you have proper engine oil filled.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:14   #3
BHPian

Looks like your clutch is slipping / starting to wear out. Considering you have done 29k and the last 4k have been 70% city riding, it is quiet possible that your clutch may have crossed 50%-70% of its useful life.

Besides, AFAIK, Pulsars clutches are very cheap to replace and usually last around 30k to 40k kms.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:21   #4
BHPian

Definitely looks like a clutch issue. Shouldn't usually die at 29K but you never know.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Looks like your clutch is slipping / starting to wear out. Considering you have done 29k and the last 4k have been 70% city riding, it is quiet possible that your clutch may have crossed 50%-70% of its useful life.

Besides, AFAIK, Pulsars clutches are very cheap to replace and usually last around 30k to 40k kms.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
+1 that, also a wrongly aligned clutch cable can easily wear out, am one of the victims. Check for the cables and plates condition at the first place. These grease monks have a dirty habit of tighting the clutch cable too much and in effect its wearing out prematurely.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 22:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Acceleration issue in my Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Check the Clutch has proper play in it.
Ensure that the bike has not slipped into false neutral. Pulsar has this problem of false neutrals but mostly attributed to improper clutch settings and engine oil.
Check you have proper engine oil filled.
Its not false neutral.If in false neutral the bike would not even accelerate.But in my case it accelerates very slowly but the engine revvs up fast!
I have used only Motul 300V fully synthetic oil with a change interval of 5K kms till now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Thanks for the input Dueller.Any idea how much clutch costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Definitely looks like a clutch issue. Shouldn't usually die at 29K but you never know.
Thats what even i was wondering.I hardly use the clutch except for changing gears.And during highway rides, i am in 5th gear most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
+1 that, also a wrongly aligned clutch cable can easily wear out, am one of the victims. Check for the cables and plates condition at the first place. These grease monks have a dirty habit of tighting the clutch cable too much and in effect its wearing out prematurely.
But this issue has cropped up since day before.I got my last service 2K kms back.Till last week it was running superb and i even touched 115 kmph last week !And i have not touched or fiddled with the clutch cable mechanism.Dunno how it can get misaligned
Old 12th October 2011, 23:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks for the input Dueller.Any idea how much clutch costs?
As far as I remember, Pulsar 180 UG3 clutch cost around 800 bucks, while a Karizma's clutch was about 2.5k. But this is 2006/07 info. I've quit riding now, so I'm not up-to-date with the pricing. Even adjusting for inflation and time gone by, I think a new set should not cost more than 1500 rupees maximum.

Please pardon if I'm totally off scale.

Cheers!
DueLLeR

EDIT: Found this link: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question...2115308AAHfi7a , which again dates back to 2006. Hope it helps.

Last edited by DueLLeR : 12th October 2011 at 23:03.
Old 13th October 2011, 00:04   #8
BHPian

It could be the clutch and/or the chain-sprocket set. Around 29k is when the Pulsar's sprocket set needs a change. But from the symptoms mentioned it seems like a clutch issue.
FYI, i changed my 220s clutch at 21,000 kms. But then that has a lot to do with my riding style with a few hours of stunting thrown in for good effect.

While you're at it, do get your fuel-air ratio checked. At times, due to a lean running engine, the engine dosnt make enough power despite a wide open throttle.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:52   #9
BHPian

Clutch life is around 30k in pulsar if you are riding properly. Mine was changed around 32k when there was gear slipping to neutral.
If sprocket issue then you will get some sort of grinding sound. Check the play and clutch cable as well.
I'm not sure pulsar really need synthetic oil ,Motul 5100v 15w50 is quiet good.
I have read somewhere that synthetics are not good for wet clutch.
So my advice is adjust the clutch.lubricate the cable adjust play and change oil to Motul 5100.You can consider clutch change if this will not work.
Old 13th October 2011, 13:35   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123
It could be the clutch and/or the chain-sprocket set. Around 29k is when the Pulsar's sprocket set needs a change. But from the symptoms mentioned it seems like a clutch issue.
FYI, i changed my 220s clutch at 21,000 kms. But then that has a lot to do with my riding style with a few hours of stunting thrown in for good effect.

While you're at it, do get your fuel-air ratio checked. At times, due to a lean running engine, the engine dosnt make enough power despite a wide open throttle.
Ya I too feel the clutch is shot. Chain set was changed at 25k so its perfectly fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy
Clutch life is around 30k in pulsar if you are riding properly. Mine was changed around 32k when there was gear slipping to neutral.
If sprocket issue then you will get some sort of grinding sound. Check the play and clutch cable as well.
I'm not sure pulsar really need synthetic oil ,Motul 5100v 15w50 is quiet good.
I have read somewhere that synthetics are not good for wet clutch.
So my advice is adjust the clutch.lubricate the cable adjust play and change oil to Motul 5100.You can consider clutch change if this will not work.

Ya my clutch is almost at the end of its life. Also the clutch mechanism has become very hard. I am getting pain in my fingers from the day this clutch slipping has started.

I have switched the oil to semi synthetic motul you mentioned fro the last change since I found fully synthetic to be very costly
Old 15th October 2011, 15:45   #11
BHPian

From your post above, I feel like it could also be your clutch cable lacking lubrication, hence your clutch getting stuck in half position or something. I'd highly recommend you try lubricating your clutch cable yourself or at your friendly mechanic's place and see if there is a difference. Make sure the mechanic lubricates into the cable with oil and not just applying grease at the top - near the lever.

Last edited by hellmet : 15th October 2011 at 16:10.
Old 28th December 2011, 12:08   #12
BHPian

I have a problem with my 180 UG2, Offlate its drinking oil, Its consuming around 400 ml for every 1000KM.My bike is 06 Make and done close to 25K.
I have been running with a K&N for the past 15K KM and been running with an FFE as well for the past 7K Km.Also i am running 120 section Ceat tyre.

The problems that i face now
a) Engine Oil cosumption - 400 ml for every 1K, I am using Motul 300V synth, i had tried using Motul 5100 Semi synth, but still the same result

b) Top End whack is reduced - Before it used to do close to 115, now its around 105-110

c) At times in gear acceleration feels a bit strained (This may be my imagination as well)

I had showed to Bajaj *** and they suspect my engine is shot , and would need new bore piston and the works.

So Do I need to change the same or shall i continue using the bike and topping up the oil every 1K Km.

Would highly appreciate any help/guidance on this.
Old 28th December 2011, 13:59   #13
BHPian

Go to a competanet local workshop and chech the bike .An experienced mech will be able to identify the issue.
From the issues you mentioned i assume that the piston rings are gone so might be the valves.
The bike might continue to run but will be smoky and the power will be affected. Not good and it might cost you more to fix it up later.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 14:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Go to a competanet local workshop and chech the bike .An experienced mech will be able to identify the issue.
From the issues you mentioned i assume that the piston rings are gone so might be the valves.
The bike might continue to run but will be smoky and the power will be affected. Not good and it might cost you more to fix it up later.
I did go, but they wanted to open up the head and had put a disclaimer that things may be worse if they put it back together.

The question that i have now is, Does FFE + K&N really mess up the bike?

I really do take care of my bike with regular service and et all..
Old 28th December 2011, 14:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go to a competent local workshop and check the bike .An experienced mech will be able to identify the issue.
+ 1.

First check if there's any oil leak before you take out the bike a ride every morning by inspecting the ground. If no, check if the bike 'smokes' bad when you rev. If its smoking, Bajaj a.s.s. maybe right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks