Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 07:25   #1

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm

Hey guys,

I've been hearing some horror stories over the validity and safety of the rigid rear frame structure (mount on) provided by local Indian manufacturer. Would like to hear it from the local themselves.

I'm out looking for one to convert to a hard tail. Would consider an extended swing arm if I'm not able to find a decent one.

Any good recommendations (source) including the extended swing arm that is reliable and reasonably priced would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 24th October 2011, 19:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm

What is the reason for an extended swing arm? Are you making that much power that the straight stance of the bike is having issues putting down, or is it just the style quotient?
Old 24th October 2011, 19:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbue View Post

I've been hearing some horror stories over the validity and safety of the rigid rear frame structure (mount on) provided by local Indian manufacturer. Would like to hear it from the local themselves.
By local manufacturer do you mean Royal Enfield.
Then be assured the system is quite good. No issues in my close to 90k kms in 8 years of ownership.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

imbue

I'm far from local but I do have my opinions about hard tail motorcycles.

If your riding one of these and turning, even gently to follow the road and the rear tyre hits a chuckhole the rear of the bike will jump to the side while the wheel is in the air.
When the tyre comes back down and bites into the pavement, be prepared to have the bike "high side" you.

There are two different ways to end up on the ground.

In a "low side" the bike washes out from under you and drops you fairly gently to the pavement. Think of the front tyre skidding and sliding to the side to picture this.

In a "high side" the bike literally throws you up in the air and off to the side. It is impossible to land gently.

Back in the late 1940's Royal Enfield was among the first to offer a true swing arm rear suspension. Although it had it's naysayers, it proved to be a wondrous method of keeping the rear tyre in contact with the ground, especially when traveling over rough roads, fields and hills. Far better than the plunger system used on most other motorcycles of the time.

As I say, I am not local but I cannot imagine a hard tail rear suspension system that will not produce horror stories regardless of the maker.

In any case, if you choose to install such a suspension (or lack of it) that is your choice. Good luck to you.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Arizona Jim has made his point in his usual factual manner, and it is clear. But, perhaps not loud enough. Allow me to pump up the volume.

You will crash. On anything but the smoothest of tarmac.
You will hurt your spine, wrist and neck, on even the smoothest of tarmac.
You will install a sprung seat to combat the constant pain in your rear.
The sprung seat will do you no good whatsoever, only increase the chances of you crashing, but this time you will probably have longer airtime.

That being said, a rigid rear frame on a bike that is not going to be a daily ride, or be ridden for more than a few kilometers at a time, can be something you could live with.

It may end up looking awesome as well.
I say, go for it. But not on your daily ride.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:50   #6

Where can I get hold of the extended swing arm? Can the original shock be used to fit (by lowering it somehow?) Any leads guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
By local manufacturer do you mean Royal Enfield.
Then be assured the system is quite good. No issues in my close to 90k kms in 8 years of ownership.

Obviously it's not. There's no hard tail rear rigid produced by RE Factory for todays bike.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd November 2011 at 16:54. Reason: back 2 back posts. Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where can I get hold of the extended swing arm? Can the original shock be used to fit (by lowering it somehow?) Any leads guys?

Obviously it's not. There's no hard tail rear rigid produced by RE Factory for todays bike.
My bad. I assumed swing arm and did not focus on the extended part.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I do not know where you can get yourself an extended swing arm. However I have seen a bull modded with a custom swing arm, perhaps built from the original one itself, am not sure. The shock absorbers are also from the avenger, I guess. This bike was built at a garage I frequent, and I will find out how they did what they did.

I rode this bike and quite liked the stance and handling. It was different...perhaps not the best, but felt good.
With a set of forward controls and a nice set of custom handlebars, the look and feel would have been a lot better, in my opinion. However the new owner wanted to buy and ride as-is.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-img_20110312_144244.jpg  

Last edited by sriku : 4th November 2011 at 18:53. Reason: missed some points
Old 4th November 2011, 23:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm out looking for one to convert to a hard tail. Would consider an extended swing arm if I'm not able to find a decent one.

hi imbue,

i think you are referring to Delhi based manufacturer, right?

some pics of his work.
Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5078980893_c668f77ca2_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5078981121_af98190921_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5078981523_8b5cc8983e_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5078981693_e1db8b2595_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5078981897_7b4344f9dd_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5079574344_4443d4700f_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5079581798_2e6b84ee63_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-5078982159_67e5ab3328_o.jpg
yes you are right, Indian after market parts industry is very small which uses very old school technology, thus resulting in less accuracy & quality.

IMO you should get a custom hard tail or extended swing arm from your locality, where its manufactured with better technologies like CAD/CAM, TIG/MIG , CNC BENDER, WATER JET CUTTING etc.
(or import form USA)

rgds
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 4th November 2011 at 23:49.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 20:45   #10
BHPian

@jeepster, that is some nice job. Few more bits like revised rocker covers & a second exhaust port would further make up the vintage look.
Old 17th November 2011, 19:20   #11

Thanks for the updates guys. I got myself an extended swing arm from a friend. Will post on the custom build and ride outcome!
Old 15th October 2012, 17:30   #12
BHPian

I am doing a similar project on my 1982 bullet. I am using a steel rod (en10027). Its an 8 inch rod having 1.5 inch steps on both sides. I would be doing up the swing arm myself. Would be using MIG welding for the same. Final stance of the bike would be 5 inches longer and 2.5 inches lower.
Old 15th October 2012, 22:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post

You will crash. On anything but the smoothest of tarmac.
You will hurt your spine, wrist and neck, on even the smoothest of tarmac.
You will install a sprung seat to combat the constant pain in your rear.
The sprung seat will do you no good whatsoever, only increase the chances of you crashing, but this time you will probably have longer airtime.

It may end up looking awesome as well.
I say, go for it. But not on your daily ride.
I cannot but agree on the hardtail being a piece of utter rubbish- ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. One famed Bullet re-design house has completely trashed a Harley (the 'first' Harley to be modified in India) into a completely unusable piece of two-wheels.
I fully agree with the poetic justice done in the above lines by Sriku.

I rode the Harley, for the 5 odd km that it has managed to run in the last 7 months- and I swear Sriku, I thought you rode the balance 5 given that you echoed my exact sentiments.

Please dont hardtail anything.

-KD.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
I cannot but agree on the hardtail being a piece of utter rubbish- ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. One famed Bullet re-design house has completely trashed a Harley (the 'first' Harley to be modified in India) into a completely unusable piece of two-wheels.
I fully agree with the poetic justice done in the above lines by Sriku.

I rode the Harley, for the 5 odd km that it has managed to run in the last 7 months- and I swear Sriku, I thought you rode the balance 5 given that you echoed my exact sentiments.

Please dont hardtail anything.

-KD.
Haha! I rode a friend's Harley 48 (Stock) which I thought had the worst banana seat and rock hard rear suspension. He recently upgraded the front and rear suspension with imported aftermarket stuff, also got a nice full seat with plush cushioning, screaming eagles, the works! All of a sudden that Harley went from being un-rideable for even its 1-tank limited range (~100kms) to a bike that I want to ride for hours together. Now the 1-tank limit suddenly seems depressing, when earlier it was not even a consideration. Though what a beautiful tank it is.

Coming back to the hard tail business. I think anyone expecting to ride one in India needs to get a reality check. There is really no point. Leave the hard tails for those one-off custom bikes made to look pretty at 0 kmph. I would go the opposite direction and get the best suspension I can afford. My spine is more important than my modelling portfolio.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:00   #15

Hey imbue..
It's really good for you that you've opted for an extended swing-arm.

I know that I'm reading yesterday's news. But then an extended rear swing-arm will allow you to mount your rear suspension whilst enabling a ride slung lower than the stock one.

In fact, I'm planning a mod on my bull. Can you please post the pics of your ride?

I've currently planned something on the lines of Indian Larry's grease monkey. Just want to check out your ride.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks