Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 13:45   #121
BHPian

Re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My second renewal was in Feb 2020. I think thereafter an amendment has been made to the MV act, which allows only two renewals for new private vehicles after the initial 15 year period, and only one renewal for commercial vehicles.

So I don't think I can renew once it runs out in 2025.
Hi Gansan,

Would you have a link to article for this MV act amendment?
I tried searching on Google, but am unable to find any reference to it.

Thanks.
Old 14th June 2022, 00:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the Splendor has a problem. A major refurbishment was done during January to replace the worn out wheel rims, spokes, drums, brake shoes, wheel bearings, chain and sprockets - everything. Bike was good afterwards and 5000 Kms have passed . But for the past few days there is a problem.

There was a Tak-Tak-tak sound from somewhere around the chainguard while braking/opening the throttle. This was more pronounced while riding double. I thought the chain was coming into contact with the chain guard. There was also a clunk while releasing the clutch after engaging gears. So I thought there might be an issue with the wheel dampers/sprocket bearing too.

My mechanic has been attending for the past three days. First he removed the wheel and chain/sprockets, cleaned everything and fitted back. We took the bike for a ride without the chain cover in place but the noise still came. Then we replaced the sprocket bearing but still no luck. Then he said probably the chain/sprocket set has failed within 5k km, and replacing with a new set will solve the problem. So I bought him an entire new set - chain/sprockets/sprocket bearing/Wheel bearings and brake shoes. Everything was fitted this afternoon. But when I took the bike for a spin with a pillion, the sound had increased.

Now there is a "tak" sound during initial moving off. Then there is the continuous "tak tak tak" sound while braking. Apart from these, now there is a continuous "Kark-kark-kark" noise as if something is rubbing somewhere. It speeds up when I speed up, and slows down when the bike slows down. All these are very pronounced while riding double, and not so noticeable when riding alone. The rear shock absorbers were also replaced in January.

The mechanic is at his wits end. He says the next option is to open the gear box. But I am not very convinced. The noise seems to emanate from somewhere between the gear lever and the rear wheel. Tomorrow I am going to have the chain guard removed and ride again to check it out. Any ideas? The noise is so annoying I am thinking of scrapping the bike. Could it be a gear/clutch issue?

About a week ago a Bullet mildly banged the bike from the rear during stop and go traffic. I felt a jolt. My wife was seated in the pillion and said it's front wheel hit her side footrest, but not her foot. I have a feeling this issue might have started after that. Is that possible?
Old 14th June 2022, 01:08   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
About a week ago a Bullet mildly banged the bike from the rear during stop and go traffic. I felt a jolt. My wife was seated in the pillion and said it's front wheel hit her side footrest, but not her foot. I have a feeling this issue might have started after that. Is that possible?
Almost 15 years ago, I was in a similar situation although in the Bullet's position.

A Super Splendor braked aburptly and I hit my bike's front wheel into its chain guard. The front wheel slipped between his rear wheel and saree guard and hit the chain guard although there wasn't any major visible damage. Thereafter, the Splendor guy got a similar tak tak sound when he tried to take off. The chain cover had deformed and was hitting the chain.

Try removing the chain cover and ride it for some distance. I feel that should fix the problem.

Last edited by ashis89 : 14th June 2022 at 01:12.
Old 14th June 2022, 01:21   #124
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have already done that before replacing the chin/sprocket set today. After which the sound has increased. Tomorrow I plan to remove the chain guard and ride again.

But in my case the Bullet definitely did not hit the chain guard. The sari guard cum pillion footrest projects well behind the chain guard. There is no gap for a Bullet wheel to go in. I think it didn't hit the rear wheel either, because then the mudguard would have broken. My wife says it hit the sari guard cum pillion foot rest and she felt the shock in her foot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks