Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 15:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bike for a matured rider. EDIT - Bought a '94 RoadKing

Considering your usage, you may check out the new KTM200. Got very promising reviews all over the internet. Estimated price is 1.5L.
Old 8th December 2011, 15:47   #17
BANNED

If you are not bothered about mileage n all, go for RD350, Bangalore is Mecca for RD's and usual electrical issues are history, a proper done up RD can roar to life even after months of hibernation with just 3-4 kicks.Most welcome to see my RD's any time.
If the purpose is just going from one to another point buy any modern 4 stroke bike and be happy.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 15:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Thats quite a deal you got there. Is it with FI? I did ride one yesterday (one with FI). Liked the power but I am looking for more power
I especially wanted a carb because of its low maintenance (FI had a lot of complaints). It was a May-2010 model, I picked it up in Apr-2011. At that time OnRoad was ~85K, I saved ~30K on the sticker price...

On the power front - (under 1.5Lacs) the ~20 Bhp (Pulsar 220 carb) is one of VERY FEW options (from the top Bhp wise). I think the new bullet 500Efi Classic is 25Bhp? (IIRC). The Yam R15, ZMR, Apache range, all have lower Bhp compared to the 220. (Honda CBR250 is ~23Hp, but >1.5L OTR IIRC)

Last edited by svsantosh : 8th December 2011 at 15:59.
Old 8th December 2011, 16:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@mac187: Buy a cycle. A good road bike would cost you around 40-50k.

Use that for weekend rides that are going to make you
stronger
healthier
more in tune with nature

Very little in terms of maintenance and very good on the reliability front as well.

Just giving you an alternate view point.

I love my RE tb, but cycling is also a lot of fun.
wah bhai wah! mac wants a cycle running on horsepower and you're suggesting one run by manpower
Old 8th December 2011, 20:40   #20
BHPian

The new generation Royal Enfields are much more reliable, especially the 350 Twinspark engine. The 500 FI still has some niggling issues. You can also wait for the KTM Duke 200. Finding a used Ninja 250 anywhere will be difficult.
Old 9th December 2011, 05:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

mac187

If you can only afford a older, used Royal Enfield you are probably right about the repair and maintainable required.

If you can find a 2010 or newer Royal Enfield UCE powered motorcycle within your budget it won't be near the hassle you remember with the older ones.

Yes, I only have 4,700 km (2914 miles) on my 2011 American model, having owned it only 6+ months however the only thing I've had to do is to change the oil and oil filter at the recommended intervals. lubricate the drive chain, replace the Bosch sparkplug with a NGK BPR6ES and replace 3 small light bulbs.

It has consistently given me 74 miles per gallon (31.45 km/ltr) and while there are a large number of other motorcycles that will give better economy none of them have (in my opinion) the classic styling and appeal of this machine.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Considering your usage, you may check out the new KTM200. Got very promising reviews all over the internet. Estimated price is 1.5L.
KTM makes a strong case with the Power that it brings to the table. I need to see one in flesh before I plonk my money on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
If you are not bothered about mileage n all, go for RD350, Bangalore is Mecca for RD's and usual electrical issues are history, a proper done up RD can roar to life even after months of hibernation with just 3-4 kicks.Most welcome to see my RD's any time.
If the purpose is just going from one to another point buy any modern 4 stroke bike and be happy.
That is a very generous offer, I would love to see your RD Ajay. I will PM you on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
mac187

while there are a large number of other motorcycles that will give better economy none of them have (in my opinion) the classic styling and appeal of this machine.
Without doubt the styling of a RE is unmatched. I am not worried about fuel economy anymore. This bike is for weekend rides only. I may use it maybe twice a month! This is the primary reason I want a bike which should add to my joy on the weekend and not spoil the party with its issues... I feel like I am talking about my woman
Old 9th December 2011, 11:29   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Motorcycles are very much like women and guitars.

Choosing one woman over another or one guitar over a similar guitar is a very personal thing.

Your best friends won't understand your decisions and certainly a world full of strangers on the internet can't.

Use your research on the Web and your brain to sift out the potential problems and then use your heart to pick the winner from the remaining contestants.
You are going to have to live with it for years to come,
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 13:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Motorcycles are very much like women and guitars.

Choosing one woman over another or one guitar over a similar guitar is a very personal thing.

Your best friends won't understand your decisions and certainly a world full of strangers on the internet can't.

Use your research on the Web and your brain to sift out the potential problems and then use your heart to pick the winner from the remaining contestants.
You are going to have to live with it for years to come,
Exactly!

The heart wants what the heart wants.

You want to use a bike once a week and a few times a month, but you want reliability. But since you're taking it out occasionally, you want riding-pleasure and something that gives you joy.

I'm afraid I have to say this. With all due respect to the current crop of motorcycles, no bike gives you the sort of riding-pleasure that an RD350 would give you. It's true, I might be sounding mad here, because I've got it completely wrong. You were looking for reliability and that would mean the RD is out of the question right from the start. But hold on and think about this for a second.

If you prioritize riding pleasure over reliability, get the RD, or even a Bullet 350/500 (preferably the Desert Storm Edition), or else just get any modern motorcycle out there.

The KTM 200 holds promise. The CBR-250 has delivered. The P220 is old, but tried and tested. Ditto the 'Zma. And then you've got the R15 rounding it off, much like the never-picked but promising kid in a school Cricket friendly.

All the best!
Old 27th December 2011, 12:59   #25
BHPian

*Update*

The hunt is on for a Yezdi.

Found two examples.
1. '87 Classis II

Pros: Completely rebuit, looks great. Seller ready to give few spare parts.
Cons: Ride was very harsh. Has been rebored recently

2. '95 Roadking
Pros: Ride is very smooth. Engine not opened yet. Serviced by Moosa. Seller giving one pair of silencer (not original)
Cons: Fails in the looks department. Samurai indicators, pulsar battery, Yamaha headlight switch assembly, brown dull paint, clutch and front brake levers are not original either.

Both bikes are at the same price and need FC, insurance and about 3k to sort out few minor issues.

Need inputs from Yezdi owners and TBhpians.
Old 27th December 2011, 13:22   #26
BHPian

Wouldn't a Yezdi clash with your requirements of low maintenance? Spare parts and good mechanics won't be easy to come by for an old classic like Yezdi.
Old 27th December 2011, 13:28   #27
BHPian

Mac: I would say go for the RoadKing. Look out one in the color you like or get one that is mechanically sound and you get the paint and chrome job done. What is the price quoted for these bikes? A lot of them have jacked up the prices these days. The classic although is a nice bike, you will enjoy the RK because the engine is better and the ride smoother.
Old 27th December 2011, 13:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid View Post
Wouldn't a Yezdi clash with your requirements of low maintenance? Spare parts and good mechanics won't be easy to come by for an old classic like Yezdi.
True. But I really dont want a Pulsar again. I dont like ZMA, R15 etc. So in the new age bikes, I have to wait for KTM. I would like to buy a tested product. Hence will have to wait for a while.

So it was between Bullet and Yezdi here. The more I though about it, I realised that a Yezdi was the first bike I ever sat on, as it was owned by my Uncle. I said to heck with my laid back attitude, I will give my best to maintain a bike if I love it enough.

Hunting for Yezdi now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Mac: I would say go for the RoadKing. Look out one in the color you like or get one that is mechanically sound and you get the paint and chrome job done. What is the price quoted for these bikes? A lot of them have jacked up the prices these days. The classic although is a nice bike, you will enjoy the RK because the engine is better and the ride smoother.
I too was thinking on the similar lines. Above all a good engine in the bike is what I should look for, these things can be put in place over a period of time. Painting is the least of my worries. I am worried about original parts really.

I have PM'ed you the price.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Hunting for Yezdi now..
Word of caution - Please ensure you take along an expert with Yezdi's to check out the bike. Take a longish test ride to ensure it is able to do decent speeds without getting strained. Go for the CDI road kings if available in the market rather than going for the points one. Will save you lot of trouble and hassle. Lastly, ensure the fuel tank does not have any leaks. Forget the aesthetics, you can bring it back to stock condition with some moolah spent.

PS: I ended up with a Yezdi about 2.5 years ago which was aesthetically ok-ok but the engine and fuel tank were both bust. Thankfully sold it off within a week without much loss!
Old 28th December 2011, 10:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Word of caution
True. I am unable to get a Mech with whom I can go to check out the bikes. I dont have much idea about the Yezdi. But thats is a point, I will surely follow.

Quote:
Go for the CDI road kings if available in the market rather than going for the points one.
Can you please enlightenment about the difference between the both.

Quote:
PS: I ended up with a Yezdi about 2.5 years ago which was aesthetically ok-ok but the engine and fuel tank were both bust.
I have faced fuel tank rust in my last bike too. But I have never heard of engine rust.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks