Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one should my friend choose?
HONDA CBR250R ABS 47 33.10%
KTM DUKE 200 95 66.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 17:32   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR250R ABS vs KTM Duke 200. EDIT : The CBR it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
ABS version of CBR disk pads are almost the double the cost of the regular ones.
Hey any reason why the disk-pads are so expensive? Are they not interchangeable? Apologies if these questions are very basic/ignorant in nature
Old 24th February 2012, 18:20   #77
BANNED

I knew and I knew from the beginning that the KTM is a amazing bike but probably preferable mostly for Yamaha bike likers. The aggresive offroader type front stance and totally urban tuning makes it not a general bike.
Old 24th February 2012, 19:30   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Good choice, your friend would love the bike. It is a very versatile bike, good for city and perfect for touring.
Thanks, I sure hope he does like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by degenr8 View Post
Good Choice buddy :-)

Quote:
Very thoughtful choice. Congrats. The cost of the spares(CBR) would keep anybody happy.
Yup, thoughtful it was! Spares is not a stong point for KTM or likewise even Honda with all those supplier issues. But lets hope that no issue arises.

Quote:
Forgot to mention this. ABS version of CBR disk pads are almost the double the cost of the regular ones.
Really, Well Could you share the cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I knew and I knew from the beginning that the KTM is a amazing bike but probably preferable mostly for Yamaha bike likers. The aggresive offroader type front stance and totally urban tuning makes it not a general bike.
It is indeed a really good package, especially for short commutes, city et all...And it looks sharp! But don't you worry on that front!

With the new HRC color

Honda CBR250R ABS vs KTM Duke 200. EDIT : The CBR it is!-05hondacbr250.jpg

Honda CBR250R ABS vs KTM Duke 200. EDIT : The CBR it is!-03hondacbr250.jpg

The CBR has got its back!
Old 24th February 2012, 21:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey any reason why the disk-pads are so expensive?
The ABS version uses Nissin calipers, the std ver Bybre. Nissin parts are expensive. (Check out ZMA pad costs!)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 23:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The ABS version uses Nissin calipers, the std ver Bybre. Nissin parts are expensive. (Check out ZMA pad costs!)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta,
But would branding make so much difference? Logically if you look at it brake pads will be the same quality and to reckon 'ByBre' comes from house of Brembo which have better reputation that Nissin Calipers. Not to debate but did not quite understand the logic here of Honda.
Old 24th February 2012, 23:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey any reason why the disk-pads are so expensive? Are they not interchangeable? Apologies if these questions are very basic/ignorant in nature
Quote:

Regards
Sutripta
In Addition to what Sutripta said, it looks like the ABS version is a 3 pot caliper instead of 2 pot on bybre, hence longer = more expensive?

Bybre = made in India. Nissin = imported stuff hence expensive. I've had my fair share of buying Nissin pads for the ZMA, ended up purchasing an EBC Double H brake pads this time!
Old 24th February 2012, 23:41   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
In Addition to what Sutripta said, it looks like the ABS version is a 3 pot caliper instead of 2 pot on bybre, hence longer = more expensive?!
Ahhh that's the info i was looking for Sanjay, thanks for it. Guess now it does make sense as to why it is priced expensively. Rather than the country of origin would like to blame it on our hon'ble Indian Government who always decide to levy additional tax on imported stuff.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Really, Well Could you share the cost?
Most of them have already given the answers for the cost being more on ABS.
The actual cost of it is Appx 1200 for rear and Appx 1600 for front or vice versa but the cost being same.
Old 26th February 2012, 06:31   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
In Addition to what Sutripta said, it looks like the ABS version is a 3 pot caliper instead of 2 pot on bybre, hence longer = more expensive?

Bybre = made in India. Nissin = imported stuff hence expensive. I've had my fair share of buying Nissin pads for the ZMA, ended up purchasing an EBC Double H brake pads this time!
I don't think the extra material is the real contributory factor. Can't explain the rear pad, or the ZMA pad costs. But imported = expensive. Like the price difference between (Marutis) MGP and SGP.

Quote:
Sutripta,
But would branding make so much difference? Logically if you look at it brake pads will be the same quality and to reckon 'ByBre' comes from house of Brembo which have better reputation that Nissin Calipers. Not to debate but did not quite understand the logic here of Honda.
Bybre is essentially KBX.
KBX started off with a technology agreement with Brembo.
Then it became a 50: 50 venture between Bosch and Brembo.
And lastly Brembo bought out Bosch.
But I guess Brembo does not consider these products are not 'real' Brembos, and thus invented a new brand - ByBre(mbo).
Leave it to the individual to read anything they want between the lines.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 22:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KBX started off with a technology agreement with Brembo.
Then it became a 50: 50 venture between Bosch and Brembo.
And lastly Brembo bought out Bosch.
But I guess Brembo does not consider these products are not 'real' Brembos, and thus invented a new brand - ByBre(mbo).
Leave it to the individual to read anything they want between the lines.
That explains a lot, I've been a fan of KBX since I got the pulsar frond end on my RX with a KBX kit, one set of brake pads lasted me a year whereas an ETS pad would last me only 4 months. Guess i'll get em bybre pads now and hope they fit on the old pulsar caliper!

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 26th February 2012 at 23:02.
Old 27th February 2012, 10:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's some amazing bit of history travel Sutripta, was actually wondering what happened to KBX. But they were the OEM Suppliers even for Benz & other major car manufacturers in India if my circle is to be believed. Honestly felt Eliminator brakes used on my RD were much greater than the existing setup that it wears.
Old 27th February 2012, 19:07   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Update: Guys, My friend had a test drive of both the Duke as well as the CBR!

The Honda CBR250R ABS it is!
...But on the other hand you had done a thorough research and came to an informed decision to buy the Honda CBR250R ABS.

I remember years ago, I had booked the Pulsar 220 direct FE when it was launched by Bajaj. There were no user reviews to go by. It was a blind call to book the bike.

Many of my friends also booked the same bike.

Within months most of the 220 bike engines started to bomb one by one. Bajaj had to stop production of the 220 FE completely.

Fortunately for me, my 220 never had any issues to date !

However the Karizma was a better smooooth ride than my 220. But for sheer rock and roll fun rides, nothing to beat my 220 !!

I hope they have better luck with the DUKE 200 !

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Team-BHP is a collaborative community and each member is a valuable part of the Team-BHP family. Any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for, and only upsets the balance. Please do not personally attack another BHPian.*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th February 2012 at 23:20. Reason: See note in post
Old 29th February 2012, 20:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Thread re-opened to discuss color options between the HRC scheme or Red.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st March 2012 at 13:45.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 01:22   #89
BHPian

Hi Guys,

So my friend has been waiting for the stock of the HRC color to arrive, the dealers are quoting around 45-60 days waiting period (Just for a color!). The Red/silver combo is available but it is from the old stock, He was even offered a discount as they wanted to make a quick sale.

Coming to the point, although subjective he really liked the Red color but just because the HRC was a 2012 model. I had asked him to go for it...It makes sense as quality improvements were obvious. He too agreed with me on that front.

That is all for now, Hope the HRC looks better in flesh than the other colors.

PS: Any actual pics/info on the how the HRC looks is welcome!
Old 30th July 2012, 23:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

The same question is bugging me. Some of the observations after spending time with a KTM and a CBR on a highway ride.

Not at all satisfied with KTM's torque. CBR is so much better in this department. Feels like a proper upgrade from a 220.

KTM is so much more flickable. However, I've got a feeling that the CBR won't be all that lazy in the ghat sections.

I have heard that Akrapovic is available for CBR, which already sounds healthy. Somehow, I couldn't appreciate the sound note of KTM. Also, the FI unit is so much more audible on the Katoom.

The Duke I was on was quite reluctant when shifting between 1st and 2nd. Is this an issue on all KTMs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks