Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 18:52   #1
BHPian

My Honda Twister, Grey colour

Just a day before the Republic Day I got a set of keys for Honda Twister, Grey colour.

Below were my key requirements.
# Reliable and Resale Value
# Mileage Kitna deta hain
# Front Disc brake and Self start a must
# 100cc to 125cc bike
# Bike should be light weight as it will be used only as a city bike.

The other contenders were Honda Shine, Bajaj Discover 125cc and Yamaha SS125. I had owned 2 Bajaj bikes before Bajaj Pulsar 180cc Dtsi (first model in Dtsi avatar) and Bajaj Avenger 180 and hence choose to try different make this time. So stayed away from Discover. My close friend was tired of convincing me to buy a discover as he owns a Discover 100cc.
Initially I wanted to buy Honda Shine, but the test drive did not impress me. The initial pickup felt to be inadequate (was it just a new bike!) and also the gear shift pattern 4UP is something I disliked.

The first Honda dealer I visited was Dhruvadesh @ Mekhri circle where I was very disappointed and walked away from the showroom. I kept postponing my visit to Yamaha showroom as it was far from my house, until my nephew informed Dhruvdesh also has a Honda Showroom at Yelahanka. One fine day I visited the showroom around 09:30 Am and they had just opened the shop and cleaning was in progress. I enquired the gentleman who was cleaning if any sales rep was available. He put me on to Mr.Madhu a sales rep, who was very helpful and was more than happy to organise everything from Test drive, booking, documentation and delivery!

This was also my first machine with full payment and coincidentally the bike costed around 63k onroad and delivered on 63rd republic day!

Bits I did not like
< Rear tyres seem to be too thin
< Missing Tripmeter
< Those of you who are used to electrical switches on TVS or Bajaj you will hate the switches on this Honda motorcycle.
< I miss the Engine kill switch for those lo……..ng waiting at the traffic lights in Bangalore. I wonder what is the reason Honda is not providing on any bikes?
< Lot of rainbow colours used on the speedometers is not pleasant to look at during day light, simple plain background colour would have looked better in my opinion. However during night with the backlight ON it is pleasant.
< Heptagon shaped rear view mirrors looks funny to me. It does not give a very clear view of approaching vehicles from behind. Seems like the rectangular shaped rear view mirrors are out of fashion on the new GEN bikes.
< I’m not a fan of those extra plastic fittings and to me the bike would have looked better without those engine cowls. The rear mudguard is stretched unnecessarily long in length.
< The rear shock absorbers seem to be quiet stiff in solo drives and things do improve when riding with a pillion. Since most of the riding will be solo, need to see how it fares. It is worth to mention that my previously owned Bajaj motorcycles were more comfortable.
< Gear shift lever is Toe shift only and I'm not happy with it. This will be changed at the soonest.

Characters I liked
* Engine is very smooth
* Im impressed with the pickup for a 110cc engine and it is clearly ahead of my 100cc 2 stroke samurai (ok previously owned).
* Electric start is very good. Engine starts within ½ a second after depressing the start button. I keep playing many times to try and depress the button as fast as I can to check whether the bike starts, but Honda wins every time.
* Riding position to my height is just nice. I got the Handle bar adjusted from the showroom so that I can sit upright.
* Bike is light weight and easy to drive around city and manage those congested parking lots.
* Gear shift pattern 1Down/3Up is good for this category of the bike is a welcome. Even the Honda CB shine gear shift pattern is all 4 UP.
Motorcycle comes with Alloy wheels and Tubeless tyres. Did I say its my first bike with Alloy wheels!

Riding experience
Needless to say driving Honda brings smile on your face and true to be ‘Power of Dreams’ as claimed. The initial torque is quite good and city driving on this machine is at ease. I have been maintaining the speed within 40KMPL and an occasional 45kmpl.
Gear shifting is good but I do feel sometimes there is a gear slip from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Either there is a real gear slip or I need to be careful enough.
It has clocked nearly 200 kms in 3 days and so far never had false neutrals.

Thanks for reading the post BHPians!

Last edited by sriny_blr : 28th January 2012 at 18:56.
sriny_blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 20:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Is this Honda’s Budget bike for INDIA ??

Good share,@Sriny.
I too would have suggested you a discover,given the good pricing and the brilliant Fuel Efficiency,but to each,his own,I guess.
63K for a 100 CC is overpriced,IMO.And the Yamaha SS125 is priced just above this and that is leagues apart,in terms of the plastic quality for the switchgear et all or the smooth engine and gearbox.
Some pictures would be an awesome addition to this thread
Old 28th January 2012, 20:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase, the title of the thread does not seem to suggest its a new buying/ownership thread. Although you might find it slightly underpowered i am sure the engine would last very long and serve you well, as its form Honda.

It would help the readers if there were some pictures of the bike as well, do post when you get time.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 28th January 2012 at 20:27.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Good share,@Sriny.
Some pictures would be an awesome addition to this thread
Thanks Vishwas and pictures are on the way, hopefully I get sometime to upload today !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations on the purchase, the title of the thread does not seem to suggest its a new buying/ownership thread. Although you might find it slightly underpowgered i am sure the engine would last very long and serve you well, as its form Honda.

It would help the readers if there were some pictures of the bike as well, do post when you get time.
Hi Mayankjha, I dont think it is underpowered for a 110cc engine. Long lasting engine was one of the Main reason going for a Honda.
Thanks
sriny_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2012 at 14:46.
ani_meher is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th January 2012, 10:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Srini on the purchase but the title of the thread is confusing, I was thinking whether Honda has launched a new bike.

Can you posts some pics of the bike? BTW did you not notice the negatives you mentioned during the test drive itself. Also did you TD any other bikes in that price range.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:32   #7
BHPian

Honda Twister Review: Is this Honda’s Budget bike for India ?

Some pictures of the Mototcycle for your comments

Engine cowl. A little long I feel
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-engine_cowls.jpg

Head light and fairing looks good
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-fairing1.jpg

Fuel cap. Works good.
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-fuelcap.jpg

Heptagonal side mirrors
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-ht_side_view_mirror.jpg

Saree guard; Though this is an after market fitment by dealer doesnt really suit well to the bike!
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-saree_guard.jpg

Unique grab bars for bike. may be also designed for heavy weight pinion riders!
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-seat.jpg

speedometer console. Notice all rainbow colors.
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-speedometer.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-my_twister.jpg  

sriny_blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Honda Twister, Grey colour

@ sriny_blr
Congrats on your purchase. My younger bro bought this bike some 20 days back. Same colour as in above pics. Though everything is good, I'm not happy with the rear suspension setup. Its too hard for the pillion and super thin cushioning on the seat makes it even worse.

Let me know your experience.

Edit: How much did you pay for saree guard. My bro will be buying one soon.

Last edited by HammerHead : 30th January 2012 at 19:39.
Old 30th January 2012, 19:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
How much did you pay for saree guard. My bro will be buying one soon.
Why do you have to pay for it? It is supposed to come with the bike no ? Without which I guess it cannot even be registered.
Old 30th January 2012, 19:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Why do you have to pay for it? It is supposed to come with the bike no ? Without which I guess it cannot even be registered.
Are you sure? When it comes to Honda, one need to even pay for the number plate and Honda stickers!! We bought Honda Activa and Dio years back and paid for the same!!
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 07:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
@ sriny_blr
Congrats on your purchase. My younger bro bought this bike some 20 days back. Same colour as in above pics. Though everything is good, I'm not happy with the rear suspension setup. Its too hard for the pillion and super thin cushioning on the seat makes it even worse.

Let me know your experience.

Edit: How much did you pay for saree guard. My bro will be buying one soon.
Thanks Hammerhead. As I have mentioned earlier I find it stiff on solo rides, however when riding with pilion rider I did not find it stiff and the Pilion rider had no complaints.
Also you may want to note that most of my city rides are not more than an hour on the bike.

Hope the below pictures will help for all to know the accessories price.
My Honda Twister, Grey colour-price_list1.jpg

My Honda Twister, Grey colour-price_list2.jpg

The bike has clocked around 250+ kms so far and the mileage when I checked once was 66KMPL. All riding was in City and 75% Non peak hours and 25% peak hour
So far Im very Happy with the Twister

Last edited by sriny_blr : 31st January 2012 at 07:58.
sriny_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 15:23   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the Twister. I own a Twister too, Green colour. 66 is really good mileage, the max I ever got was 58 KMPL. You are right about the stiffness of the ride. The suspension setting is too hard. I ride with pillion 90% of the time but I find it too stiff even with a pillion. Both of us can feel every little bump on the road.

I've had the Twister for around 1.5 years now, I am starting to feel that its inadequate for MY* needs. Feel like its time to move on.

*The bold font was just to indicate that it was my personal opinion :P
Old 31st January 2012, 16:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Congrats on the Twister. I own a Twister too, Green colour. 66 is really good mileage, the max I ever got was 58 KMPL. You are right about the stiffness of the ride. The suspension setting is too hard. I ride with pillion 90% of the time but I find it too stiff even with a pillion. Both of us can feel every little bump on the road.

I've had the Twister for around 1.5 years now, I am starting to feel that its inadequate for MY* needs. Feel like its time to move on.

*The bold font was just to indicate that it was my personal opinion :P
Good to know you have been using since a year and 1/2. Did you had any issues at all so far please share. Bike is yet to visit the service centre for its 1st service.

Are you planning for an upgrade to a 150+cc? is the KTM duke introductory pricing too tempting
Old 31st January 2012, 17:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Good to know you have been using since a year and 1/2. Did you had any issues at all so far please share. Bike is yet to visit the service centre for its 1st service.

Are you planning for an upgrade to a 150+cc? is the KTM duke introductory pricing too tempting
I have only had one major issue so far. About 3-4 months back, the self-start, lights, indicators and horn suddenly refused to work. Took my bike to the service centre and the issue was diagnosed to be a dead battery (not discharged). They replaced it free of cost since it was within warranty.

The Duke is very competitively priced but for me the pillion seat comfort is really important and the Duke seems to fall short in that department. I am planning to upgrade to the CBR 250R within a month.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:21   #15
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase.

Last week I purchased the Twister, White color.
Price: 61k, Got some free accessories from KUN Honda (buzzer, saree guard, crash guard)

I have few questions which I thought of getting some suggestions from Tbhpians.

1. In idling the bike doesn't turn off, however during 2nd or 3rd gear it turns off, many times it happened. The service guy told that it will be like this only in the initial period. Is this true ?
2. The gear lever is very troublesome when engaging from higher to lower. My shoe is getting a black spot because of that bush. Any suggestions on this ?
3. Planning to replace the Head light and speedometer bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Just a day before the Republic Day I got a set of keys for Honda Twister, Grey colour.

Last edited by gopinathann : 15th May 2012 at 16:27.
gopinathann is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks