Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 18:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Hello friends I find the Impulse headlight too weak, is their any update or any good bulb possible with the stock setting. As I don't want to go ahead and play with the wiring.
Bulb suppliers in 2-wheeler markets like Karol Bagh (Delhi) would certainly have higher-wattage options (probably 55W vs. stock 35) in a compatible mount, which is what I'm planning to install.

Few potential issues:

1. The current output of the stock Impulse alternator is sufficient for the 55W upgrade, except that perhaps the "flash to pass" switch may not be effective, since that causes BOTH (low/high-beam) filaments to be switched on simultaneously, which on a 55W would add up to more than the total output of the alternator (meaning the headlamp might actually lose intensity when the switch is pulled, rather than gaining it); otherwise I'd expect it to work fine.

2. For normal high/low beam use on 55W and maybe for a low-current LED-type auxiliary lamp, I'm assuming that the stock wiring / switchgear is sufficiently over-rated, and that there are not likely to be any issues; but no confirmed info to that effect.

3. I've occasionally seen the plastic reflectors used in bike headlamps melt (vs. the glass/steel of the old days), presumably from the added heat of high-output bulbs. Whether this would effect the Impulse's reflector or not is a risk that one or more of us is going to have to take in order to find out.

I was just in Delhi but didn't have time before going to remove my bulb and confirm the mount style - so will get to that next time and post here with the results.

Meanwhile, the senior technician at the local Hero agency readily confirmed that the rattly noise (at 3,000 and 4,500-5000rpm) in my engine is indeed the crankshaft, that he's seen the issue before, that it is likely an issue of manufacturing defect (the bike still has under 10,000km), and that if replaced, there should be no further problems. Seems there might've been a bad batch of either rod/crankpin/bearing that's affected some of these bikes (incl. another local one I've ridden). New parts (crank assembly) have been received, and work will begin once the tech is back from winter holiday. Labor rs1200 and a day or two, otherwise no charge (they say). We'll see.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 31st January 2016 at 18:10.
Old 31st January 2016, 21:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Bulb suppliers in 2-wheeler markets like Karol Bagh (Delhi) would certainly have higher-wattage options (probably 55W vs. stock 35) in a compatible mount, which is what I'm planning to install.

Few potential issues:

1. The current output of the stock Impulse alternator is sufficient for the 55W upgrade, except that perhaps the "flash to pass" switch may not be effective, since that causes BOTH (low/high-beam) filaments to be switched on simultaneously, which on a 55W would add up to more than the total output of the alternator (meaning the headlamp might actually lose intensity when the switch is pulled, rather than gaining it); otherwise I'd expect it to work fine.

2. For normal high/low beam use on 55W and maybe for a low-current LED-type auxiliary lamp, I'm assuming that the stock wiring / switchgear is sufficiently over-rated, and that there are not likely to be any issues; but no confirmed info to that effect.

3. I've occasionally seen the plastic reflectors used in bike headlamps melt (vs. the glass/steel of the old days), presumably from the added heat of high-output bulbs. Whether this would effect the Impulse's reflector or not is a risk that one or more of us is going to have to take in order to find out.

I was just in Delhi but didn't have time before going to remove my bulb and confirm the mount style - so will get to that next time and post here with the results.

Meanwhile, the senior technician at the local Hero agency readily confirmed that the rattly noise (at 3,000 and 4,500-5000rpm) in my engine is indeed the crankshaft, that he's seen the issue before, that it is likely an issue of manufacturing defect (the bike still has under 10,000km), and that if replaced, there should be no further problems. Seems there might've been a bad batch of either rod/crankpin/bearing that's affected some of these bikes (incl. another local one I've ridden). New parts (crank assembly) have been received, and work will begin once the tech is back from winter holiday. Labor rs1200 and a day or two, otherwise no charge (they say). We'll see.

-Eric
Hey Eric thanks for the input, I was reading the manual and also the wattage. Few things which I found out are mentioned below:

1. Impulse has a AC/DC Circuit (without battery it would start and the Headlight would run - but no indicators or horns).
2. It has around 140W to play with. What I was thinking is that I wont touch the stock headlight assembly. Instead I would change the indicators to LED and then add two Auxillary Lights. Advice please.
3. Also since you have been with the Bike since long want to know with 245mm of ground clearance do you think I should put engine sump guard.
4. I wanted a knuckle guard would you be able to suggest me something about it.

I have just ridden my Impulse around 430km, and it is still in break-in period so not pulling it above 5000rpm. So if any of the things mentioned by me is incorrect then kindly correct me.

I am planning to go to Uttaranchal after the break-in period is over. but it would be great if we can meet someday.

Keep me updated about the issue your bike is facing. Did you ask the mechanic the reason for the crank shaft issue.

Ride Safe,
Shivanshu
Old 4th February 2016, 01:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I was thinking is that I wont touch the stock headlight assembly. Instead I would change the indicators to LED and then add two Auxillary Lights. Advice please.
3. Also since you have been with the Bike since long want to know with 245mm of ground clearance do you think I should put engine sump guard.
4. I wanted a knuckle guard would you be able to suggest me something about it.

it is still in break-in period so not pulling it above 5000rpm. So if any of the things mentioned by me is incorrect then kindly correct me.

it would be great if we can meet someday.
I'd have to check my own manual again - I hadn't remembered there being as much as 140W there. If you're right, then obviously the wattage of any accessory lighting can be as much as alternator output minus the wattage of your high beam/brake/tail lamp/IP; I like the idea of LED lighting, which is much lower wattage per lumen. vs. incandescent bulbs. Should probably be wired into the A/C side, so as to preclude any extra strains on the battery itself. And wired specifically into the high-beam circuit, so that it will shut off when dipping headlamp to oncoming traffic (being blinded by such oncoming brilliance a major cause of night-time accidents).

I'd like handguards myself, but haven't found a source. Hero was originally supposed to be supplying them with the bike, but it seems they rarely if ever did. I've seen people fabricate them desi style, which seemed to work. Probably someone somewhere in the country has them in an accessories shop; otherwise importation is an option.

Re: the crankshaft, the mechanic (senior tech at the Kullu branch) simply suggests it's a manufacturing defect; of which component specifically would be hard for him to know, as the entire assembly (counterweights, rod, and crankpin) is replaced as a unit in such cases. And I doubt whether Hero has acknowledged anything about it officially.

245mm is fairly generous, and shocks are pretty hard, so I've hit the bottom only rarely, and not to the point of damaging anything. Sump guard is never a bad idea, but whether or not you really NEED one depends entirely on how terrible of conditions you reasonably expect to encounter. There IS a thin aluminum cast tab extending down from the crankcase several cm's, which I'm guessing is there to take the hit in the event of high-centering, rather than the main body of the case itself. The Unicorn (having the same basic engine) also has that tab, of which I broke a half off on one hard hit en-route to Chandra-Tal in Spiti (where the road had not yet been bulldozed for the season). No damage to the case in that instance... only the tab. I've thought about a guard for mine, but not sure if I'll ever get around to it.

With the Impulse, for better or worse, life begins at 5,000rpm - which is to say you've got something to look forward to, and if I were you, I'd find a way to get through that run-in period ASAP . I could wish for more low-end; but in truth the strong pull from 5-8,000 can be quite entertaining, and the bike can be ridden briskly in the hills so long as you don't mind a lot of gear-changing and spirited revving.

Indeed would be a pleasure to meet up, so do get in touch if you plan to be around Manali sometime.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 23:39   #79
BHPian

Hey Eric,

How are you doing? I would like to have some advice: My Bike has done around 650kms now, I am still not taking her above 6000rpm. I am riding almost 70kms everyday with her. The ride is a mix of traffic, straight roads, jams, potholes and all. I have started noticing the change in Engine Sound, for me it seems that tappets are getting loose or something in Engine when it gets hot. Is this natural or is their something I need to look into?

Cheers,
Ride Safe
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Can any of the owners tell me how hard it is to find the spares for the Impulse now? Especially the engine parts and basic essentials like brake pads/shoes, clutch plates, cables etc etc.. I am thinking about picking one up.
Old 19th January 2017, 23:55   #81
BHPian

Recently I rode to Dharali, Uttaranchal here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-20170115_154319.jpg  

Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-20170116_131948.jpg  

Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-20170116_132034.jpg  

Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-20170116_132432.jpg  

Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-20170116_133230.jpg  

Shivanshu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 12:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I rode to Dharali, Uttaranchal here are the pics:
Awesome!! Must have been a terrific experience. Did you have snow tyre/chains?
DieselDestiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 21:08   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Awesome!! Must have been a terrific experience. Did you have snow tyre/chains?
Thank you, the stock tyres on Hero Impulse i.e. CEAT Gripp were good enough for getting the grip. But in hard snow or black ice, it was a bit tough.
Old 12th September 2017, 19:14   #84
BHPian

Anyone has a IMPULSE OWNER MANUAL in PDF format?
I have got an Impulse but no owner manual. Previous owner has lost it.
Also any headlight mod to run it off DC supply always?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks