Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 03:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
Put the bike on main stand and hold the rear tire diagonally and see if there is play. Slightest play and your wheel bearing is gone. Hold on the rear axle bolt and nut, sideways, if there is play or little displacement, your swing arm bushes need attention.
Thank you. I will try that today.
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
Put the bike on main stand and hold the rear tire diagonally and see if there is play. Slightest play and your wheel bearing is gone. Hold on the rear axle bolt and nut, sideways, if there is play or little displacement, your swing arm bushes need attention.
Hello! I followed the instructions and it seems like the bearings and bushes are fine. No play at all.

To append the situation, whenever I brake from high speeds and while driving at low speeds the grinding sensation creep in and stay until the speed falls down below 15kmph or so.

Gear shaft bearings or scissor gear (I already checked this with SVC and he said it is fine) or anything else?
What else could this be ?

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 23rd July 2013 at 06:11.
Old 8th August 2013, 14:43   #33

I am facing a recurring problem. The chain gets lose every 15 days. The local mechanic loosens up the rear tyre and pushes it back, but it gets loose again in no time. Any permanent solution for this?
Old 9th August 2013, 09:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotiyaa View Post
I am facing a recurring problem. The chain gets lose every 15 days. The local mechanic loosens up the rear tyre and pushes it back, but it gets loose again in no time. Any permanent solution for this?
When was the last time you changed the chain and its sprockets? Maybe they are worn out. If the sprocket's teeth are pointed and sharp enough then it is time to replace them. Else check if the chain adjusters inside the swing arm is in good condition or not.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 11:53   #35
BANNED

I had posted in this thread two years ago (Jun 12) if I should retain my 6 year old Avenger 180 or go in for the 220 variant.
I was also wondering what I should do to keep the bike going for five more years.

Now, two years down the line, I should tell you all that my Avenger 180 is battle fit.
I took care to assess my bike carefully and ended up doing the following :-
1. Replace the tyres ( rear ones are expensive) Rs 4500
2. changed the front brake pads & the rear shoes Rs 500
3. overhauled the front shockers Rs 300
4. changed wheel sprocket and chain set Rs 600
5. new battery Amaron Rs 3000
6. new cables for clutch, brake and accelerator Rs 450
7. New spark plugs Rs 150

For around 9500 spent over two years, my bike had become mechanically and electrically very sound and will easily last 5 more years with basic maintenance.
The point I would like to make to all Team BHPians is that one should not be in a hurry to go in for a new bike or car.
The job of the marketing teams of all industries is to push a new product down our throat. The problem is that in most cases we didnt need the product in the first place; worse still we dont need its replacement so soon. Do not succumb to the temptations of the market and indulge in mindless spending on gear and gadgets.
I would recommend that you spend the money on a mountain hike instead.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 16:48   #36
BHPian

Update at 70,000 km

My bike has now crossed 70,000 km in 6.5 years and is still going strong.

I have compiled a table which shows issues which have occurred.
The metric 'Distance between repairs' gives us an indication of the reliability of the bike.

Some points to clarify the table:

1. Parts which are expected to be replaced due to regular wear and tear or ageing such as clutch plates, chain and sprocket, tyres, battery, bearings etc. have not been listed. These could be considered if they fail prematurely.

2. Repairs which had to be carried out as a result of accidental damage or where I think that negligence has contributed to premature failure have been excluded.

3. The dates and distances given here are those where repair was carried out which may be different from the date of failure in some cases.

4. Issues which could result in the bike becoming unfit for driving have been classified as 'Major' else 'Minor'.

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-bike-issues-1.jpg

Among the major issues, the clutch cable and starter motor have given me repeated problems and the disc brake caliper assembly had to be replaced once. Other issues have been minor. Cost of spare parts is low so these do not bother me much.

Since my original post at 50,000 km I have taken it on a 6,000 km ride across India. During the ride the bike had some stability problems so i got all the bearings replaced (both wheels, swingarm and steering). The bike feels much tighter now. A photo of the repairs:

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-img_0543_r.jpg

Some photos from the 6,000 km East-West ride:

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-img_0456_r.jpg

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-img_0487_r.jpg

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-img_0502_r.jpg

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-img_0514_r.jpg

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-img_0702_r.jpg

The condition of the bike is fairly good even now. As of now I can see no other bike in the market which fulfills my need for a powerful and reliable machine with comfortable seating at a reasonable price. I will probably be using this bike for may more years.

@fiestarry - Good to see that your bike is also ageing well.

Last edited by highway_star : 11th May 2014 at 16:52. Reason: Image not clear
highway_star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 16:36   #37
BHPian

I see that my Avenger drifts/feels unstable in windy conditions. Is this normal or should it be checked?
Old 11th February 2015, 17:04   #38

After owning 1 bike and 4 cars in different timelines, am back to considering a bike for a city transport alternative.

Today saw an Avenger in our office parking lot, and started considering it for my next purchase. However after seeing the reviews here, i think Bajaj products are (again) back to my never ever list. Highway_star seems to have spent more than the cost of his bike on service/maintenance. (he's a high mile cruncher, but does that warrant such high costs?)

Recently i dusted my 19 year old horse called Splendor, i had stopped using 11 years back, my brother was using it occasionally, and since he also went the car way, the splendor wasnt used since 2 years . I opened up the tank to find some petrol still sitting inside, the bike started in the second or third kick itself (with choke on)

My search for a second bike will continue, it might be the FZ or the RTR or CBR, Also i think the splendor deserves a long-term review sometime soon.
Old 26th February 2015, 14:57   #39
BHPian

Hi Highway Star,
Nice and easy to read review. A quick question..as i too have an Avenger :-).
The bag on your Tank. Is it s dedicated tank mounted bag ??. looks neat and useful. Can you guide me as to where you got it and how is it strapped on to the tank.
Old 15th March 2015, 22:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hi Highway Star,
Nice and easy to read review. A quick question..as i too have an Avenger :-).
The bag on your Tank. Is it s dedicated tank mounted bag ??. looks neat and useful. Can you guide me as to where you got it and how is it strapped on to the tank.
Sorry for the late reply. The tank bag is made by Cramster. It is attached to the tank by magnets. It is a general design for all bikes and not specific to Avenger. I got it from Smart Designs in Mumbai. It should be easily available at many places.
Old 28th November 2015, 19:56   #41

Got new wider rubber for my avenger today. Replaced the stock 130/90-15 zapper with 140/90-15 TVS Rambo tyres.
The rear now looks even more chunky. <3 Also the old rear view mirror got rusted pretty bad, so changed that too with round shaped ones ( Enfield type). To complete the package gave her a good wash with chain cleaning, brake tightening and engine oil top up.
The 9 year old baby now looks good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-1448720743858.jpg  

Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms-1448720784137.jpg  

Old 28th November 2015, 23:20   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway_star View Post
Some photos from the 6,000 km East-West ride:
Well well well, this certainly is a small world. I just saw your picture from your cross country ride with Mr Lodhi and realized who you are! The FB pictures from your trip were inspiring to say the least. This thread deserves details of your wonderful ride. 6000 kms in 20 days across the country is quite some riding. Hats off to you guys.

PS - I was your junior, the handle gives it away.
Old 29th November 2015, 17:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Well well well, this certainly is a small world.
Thanks! Do connect with me offline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks