Team-BHP - Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/118403-honda-cbr-250r-answers-some-commonly-asked-questions-49.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 5303788)
Hi guys, is it advisable to go for a CBR 250 as a used bike? I have a budget of under 80k and found a few all the way from 45k to 1.2 lacs. The cheapest ones are the early ones with the VFR dual tone colours, which I love. Problem is that they all look tatty and second owner used, probably by college kids who ride in slippers while weaving in the traffic like maniacs.
I also found a single owner one for 75k no negotiation, 2015 one with not a lot of kilometres.
It’s a bit pricey compared to the chapri ones but the biggest issue for me is that it doesn’t have the dual tone red and silver VfR colours.
Anyway, what would you guys suggest, should I get the chapri one for cheap and try to restore it or a nice one for almost twice the price or just not go for the CBR for whatever reason?

Few months back i was in the same boat as you are.
Had caught an itch to get an CBR 250, searched around a bit in Mumbai and finally bought a sparingly and caringly used 2016 model 13k run for 85k, unfortunately a non-ABS one.

Its a gem of a machine depending on how it has been used by the previous owner, good performance, decent fuel economy, fairly comfortable and still looks classy.

Stay away from abused models would take a lot of time and money to fix them, part availability is not good.
Also i would not suggest you models older then 2014, as i heard some parts for them were imported and local replacement not available e.g the handle lock assembly for the old model is said to cost around 10k, so stay away from it, also if possible please get the ABS version, std variant has poor brakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaur (Post 5305913)
Few months back i was in the same boat as you are.
Had caught an itch to get an CBR 250, searched around a bit in Mumbai and finally bought a sparingly and caringly used 2016 model 13k run for 85k, unfortunately a non-ABS one.

Its a gem of a machine depending on how it has been used by the previous owner, good performance, decent fuel economy, fairly comfortable and still looks classy.

Stay away from abused models would take a lot of time and money to fix them, part availability is not good.
Also i would not suggest you models older then 2014, as i heard some parts for them were imported and local replacement not available e.g the handle lock assembly for the old model is said to cost around 10k, so stay away from it, also if possible please get the ABS version, std variant has poor brakes.

Hi Gaur, thanks for the reply. I was just gonna see a black one tomorrow with a faulty handle lock that the owner said is not a biggie.
It also has no ABS and I have now decided to wait and find a decent abs one only. For some reason all the abs ones I have seen are tatty and look abused. One owner didn’t even know the bike had abs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 5306008)
Could you please tell me how to look for the valve clearances being right as this will be my first bike :)

This would be your FAQ thread, you should get all your answers here :).

Typically, it is like small glass marble balls against each other sound.

EDIT : I see you have already found this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManasN95 (Post 5299459)
Guess now I'll have to take the CBR to the Shree Byke Point suggested to rectify the wobbling issue once and for all.

So the wobble has increased back to how it was, and the front suspension feels loose too.

Met Prasad Bapat at Shree Byke Point and he suggested changing the fork oil, which was changed within the last 3-4 months only, but let's see. Will do it if needed.

Although I don't think this is an issue of just lubrication. Cone set was changed recently too, and "suspension ka out nikala hai" was also done, although I have to fully understood what it means.

I'll be taking the bike to Prasad Bapat on Wednesday to solve the issue.

The previous owner has supposedly put in Motul 20W (I'm not sure, neither is he).

If there's a need to replace the fork oil, should I go for Motul 20W itself or should I try something different?

Please suggest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManasN95 (Post 5307321)
The previous owner has supposedly put in Motul 20W (I'm not sure, neither is he).

If there's a need to replace the fork oil, should I go for Motul 20W itself or should I try something different?

Please suggest.

You can go for Motul 20W. Reduced front dive under braking and appropriate increase in stiffness compared to OEM 10W fork oil. Overall, improves handling and cornering ability. I wouldn't go back to 10W oil anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5252rpm (Post 5267690)
Hello Riders,

My 250R is coming close to 40k kms and its been a trusted companion. However, just recently I have this weird issue of bike shutting off in lower rpms at times. If I ride prolonged in traffic or lower gears, when I try to slow down and downshift, mostly bike shuts down when rpm goes below say 1.5k rpm. There is no hesitation in starting back though.

I took my CBR to Highlander Bangalore for a thorough service. Karthik intially thought this is a shim issue and checked them, but issue persists. Apparently it looks like a symptom of fuel pump failure - which is yet to to checked.

Did a quick googling and found that down shift stalling is a know issue with CBR. Does any of the bhpians came across this issue? Can this be repaired than replacing it (14k for Fuel Pump) Please throw some light.

PS : Other than this, bike runs butter smooth (especially after service from Highlander) and as good as new. As long as bike turns on after it stalls, I m fine with it. But if does not one fine day , its an issue as I do long distance touring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddhant (Post 5307648)
You can go for Motul 20W.

Yes, this is what I heard 4 years ago so I have put Motul 20W ever since. But there have been so much new oils and / or options after that, still Motul 20W is the best fork oil for the CBR?

Also, please mention the correct amount of fork oil to be filled if in case it needs changing.

If someone knows a good mechanic or a Honda dealer who can work on the CBR in Delhi, please let me know. Looking to get a 2012 ABS inspected that may need some work.

Dear Manas,

Please get the rear swing arm inspected and also the rubber bushes.
Move rear wheel side ways left right and see if the chain tension changes.
Have a safe ride.

Hi! Greetings to you.
Please inspect inner RHS and LHS crank gearbox oil pump Magneto housing.
One of the oil seals has failed and leaking Crank back pressure.
Do post your feedback.
Ride safe.

Here she is, 2012 Abs done 32k. And it’s the colour I wanted, finally have full filled my childhood dream. Needs to be cleaned and serviced but runs like a charm regardless.
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-bac1853dd0e748d79c20c29dd184e3b4.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 5309575)
Here she is, 2012 Abs done 32k. And it’s the colour I wanted, finally have full filled my childhood dream. Needs to be cleaned and serviced but runs like a charm regardless.
Attachment 2303793

Congrats mate on your purchase! Believe me, your next upgrade will definitely be a Japanese Multi-Cylinder machine, coz you'll be spoiled with all that refinement.

As mentioned before, go through all these threads and be informed about a few points.

Once again, congrats. And ride safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 5309575)

Congrats. You got the color that you were looking for.

Few things.

Get the exhaust shield replaced or repainted to silver. New one would cost barely Rs.700. that's the only thing spoiling the look.

From the pic, it seems there is a leak (unless it was present on the ground from before you parked the bike there). So get it checked.

Ensure the lockset is working fine. Use wd40 or few drops of gear oil into the key hole every few months. The lockset of 2011-13 model is insanely expensive and not easy to find as well.

Good Luck...

While changing engine oil at a local garage, the mechanic observed oil leak (although slow leak) from the engine top cover area. He is saying the O-ring has gone bust. Now, I am wondering if this is the reason I need to top up engine oil by 70-100 mL every 1000 kms. Honestly, I am not sure how long this has been going on. If anyone can help with the part number for the O-ring seal, that'll be helpful.

View of the engine top cover, source of the slow leak
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbrenginetopcoveroilleak.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddhant (Post 5315485)
If anyone can help with the part number for the O-ring seal, that'll be helpful.

Hi Siddhant, I am attaching link to the CBR250R parts catalogue book pdf on my Google drive. You will find the part number there. I would have shared the number myself but I couldn't understand from the photo which particular area or part are you talking about.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-18...w?usp=drivesdk