Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 10:16   #1

Help with decoding Royal Enfield Bullet Chassis & Engine Numbers

A Royal Enfield bullet 350 happened to end up in my hands, which was registered as a disposal vehicle from the Indian Army. The numbers engraved on the chassis and the engine took us for a ride as the design of the engine cover has a similar design of a G2 engine, but the format of the numbers are quite different from that found on the G2 Engine. Apart from that, below the fins on the left crank case (further down to the number written there) there are two protruding circular bulges, which we did not find on any of the G2's that we happened to see.

Number on Chassis B/XXXXXX/3BX EI/78XXX

Number on Engine 120XXX/3GX EI/82XXX

The Registration Certificate of the said Bullet shows a date from the1980's, and the vehicle was registered against Ex-Army vehicle. So we guess that the Bullet would have been manufactured at least ten years prior to that date. It also have an original heavier crank with G written on both the pieces of the Crank.

Can anyone help us identify the history of this Machine, at least the year of production?
vishnuharih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help with decoding Royal Enfield Bullet Chassis & Engine Numbers

The following post might help

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2616031
Old 18th April 2012, 23:30   #3
BHPian

This is quite surprising to me as I heard that Enfield uses same number for Engine & Chassis. I am not sure as to when this was started but this is the case till quite recent.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 19th April 2012, 00:34   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuharih View Post

Number on Chassis B/XXXXXX/3BX EI/78XXX

Number on Engine 120XXX/3GX EI/82XXX

Can anyone help us identify the history of this Machine, at least the year of production?
Your best bet would be , mail the full details to

Quote:
Graham is asking that you include digital pictures of the numbers to absolutely verify them. You can email him at chairman@royalenfield.org.uk or write him at 39 North Moor Road, Huntington, York. YO32 9QN, United Kingdom.
Source : Royal Enfields
Old 19th April 2012, 02:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I would think this post has nothing to do with the question.

EI*** is the restamp of Enfield India, photographs will help on an approx. year of build.
Old 18th August 2015, 09:29   #6
BHPian

Hello friends,

Taking delivery of Tb 500 this week. The vin given to me is ME3U5S5F1FG058846.

Can someone please decipher?
Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 09:45   #7
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpai View Post
Taking delivery of Tb 500 this week.
Congratulations and best wishes.

Quote:
ME3U5S5F1FG058846.
F = 2015. G = July. Please check the date of pollution test on the sticker pasted inside of the side panel cover.
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 12:25   #8
BHPian

Thank you Mr Ravi.

Your thread on Tb500 was a factor which gave me the confidence to go in for tb500.

On the lookout now for a crash guard. The ones at the show room are thicker ones which are meant for the classics. Your crash guard model is not available in my town. Thinking of going in for the diamond shaped. Hope that it wont interfere with the brakes and knees.

Warm regards
jnpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 12:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the lookout now for a crash guard. The ones at the show room are thicker ones which are meant for the classics. Your crash guard model is not available in my town. Thinking of going in for the diamond shaped. Hope that it wont interfere with the brakes and knees.
jnpai mate glad to see your booking of Tbird500 turning into flesh. Well I too use the same crash guard as J.Ravi does. It is an ideal crash guard for the new Tbird's due to their front foot pedals shifted forward for comfort cruising. Diamond crash guards are good too but if you ride with riding boots/regular boots, then your shoes may fiddle with the crash guard as the space between the foot and the crash guard is limited although not very small. You can try and speak to the manufacturer(http://www.qualitymetalindustries.com/contact_us.html) directly and ask him to send the crash guard to you by courier or other means.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 12:56   #10
BHPian

Thanks Navin...

Will follow up on the advice for the guard.

Yes indeed things moved at a fast pace. I will join the Royal Enfield family later this week. To say it is a dream come true, will be wrong. For, the whole thing was not even in my dreams, till Aug first week.
Will be starting a new ownership thread once the delivery is taken.

reg.
Old 18th August 2015, 13:20   #11
J.Ravi

Quote:
Your thread on Tb500 was a factor which gave me the confidence to go in for tb500.
I wish you and your bird infinite miles with smiles. Thanks for the compliments.

Quote:
Your crash guard model is not available in my town.
As Navin pointed out, diamond crash-guard does not go well with the new Thunderbirds. You can talk to M/s Riyaz Ahmed or Rizwan Ahmed. They will arrange to ship one for you. They have shipped to far away places like Kolkata.
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 18:20   #12
BHPian

Mr Ravi,thanks for your wishes.

I did contact M/s Quality in Chennai, they re directed me to a dealer in my town, but the model in question is out of stock. However they showed me another piece, of the same manufacturer - a straight rod crash guard. Looks good and strong, and will not interfere either with the brakes or knees. Model No: BUSB205 rings type. Looks wise its very ok. The accessories dealer says it will fit the tb well, the SA at the dealer says its remains to be seen if it is correct fit.

I am in two minds, the primary reason being the apprehension whether the straight rod will be adequate in case of a fall. Also this piece seems a little bit thick and whether it will come into contact with the mud guard and create problems?

Just sounding you out on this, sir. Hope to have your good advice.
I will contact the props of Quality Steels after getting your opinion.

reg
Old 19th August 2015, 08:23   #13
J.Ravi

Quote:
I will contact the props of Quality Steels after getting your opinion.
I don't know how the straight bar will look on a Thunderbird and the protection it gives in case of a fall. If you like it, go ahead. Once I fell down, when my bird was about to come to halt. The Thunderbird-specific crash-guard saved me and my bird. So, I can vouch for the protection offered by the Thunderbird-specific crash-guard [BUTB2013].

I suggest we can have further discussions on this topic in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3773787
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 10:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However they showed me another piece, of the same manufacturer - a straight rod crash guard. Looks good and strong, and will not interfere either with the brakes or knees. Model No: BUSB205 rings type.
These kind of crash guards were found on yesteryears Yamaha RX100's and some Yezdi's. I don't know the crash worthy effectiveness of these bars as I have heard people complaining about it twisting in impact and sometimes even swivelling and trapping/hitting the riders' leg near knee area on impact.

Quote:
I am in two minds, the primary reason being the apprehension whether the straight rod will be adequate in case of a fall.
Like Ravi sir I too use the same crash guard. I had a minor fall while taking a sharp turn on a steep by lane. My Tbird500 fell on the right side but both the motorcycle and I were saved due to the crash guards. Neither me nor the motorcycle had any scratch thanks to the crash guard. I would suggest you to wait for some time to get these crash guards else go ahead with this crash guard model (BUTB2001). Try it on your Tbird before buying it.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 11:45   #15
BHPian

Mr Ravi, Navin...

Friends, thanks for the advice. The prospect of the single rod bar swivelling and contacting the knee/leg in case of accident is a good point.

Will order for BUTB2013 for my tb500. Safety is paramount.

BTW Navin, I just stumbled on your tb ownership thread yesterday. Wow , I don't dare to suggest that any other individual in India has 5 Enfields in the garage. Except perhaps the Indian Army, which is not "individual".

My humble entry into Enfeildom is scheduled for tomorrow.
jnpai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks