Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 20:21   #16
Mik
BHPian

Re: Police fine for riding a bike with your slippers on?

Way to go Kolkata Police. I really appreciate this drive. Hopefully they are as serious when approving licenses and with regards to helmetless riding.

Slippers are not safe riding wear anyway and specially ineffective while toe-shifting. This should bring down a few leg injuries - if not anything else.
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 20:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik
Way to go Kolkata Police. I really appreciate this drive. Hopefully they are as serious when approving licenses and with regards to helmetless riding.

Slippers are not safe riding wear anyway and specially ineffective while toe-shifting. This should bring down a few leg injuries - if not anything else.
Ot did kolkatans notice that there has been a sudden increase in the number of offendors being caught and fined? Minor violations which would otherwise go unnoticed in the past will almost always be caught and booked now. I see lots of people getting caught and fined in every traffic signal these days. I was surprised to see a cop run atleast 50 feet to intercept a zen that had jumped the signal at yellow/ red.

Last edited by dhiman : 5th May 2012 at 21:02.
Old 5th May 2012, 21:12   #18
BHPian

Like always we need to 'enforce' simple logic. Its not safe to ride a bike with slippers. I know one character who wouldn't listen no matter what and he lost a toe. He does wear a pair of shoes all the time now.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 22:14   #19
BHPian

This should be made a law in Chandigarh also, i consider riding with slippers/sandals an insult to the motorcycle.
And also proper shoes are safer in-case you fall.
cruiser@0523 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 00:37   #20
BANNED

This is utterly ridiculous.

In pune, if some cop stops me just because i am riding with slippers (which i do for short distances) , i will go ahead and pay fine provided he mentions exact offence on receipt. Else let him find a onther "Bakra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
When I went for my motorcycle test it was strictly mentioned not to wear chappals/flip-flops as that is not allowed and against the law.
If possbile do scan and post here for reference.

On second thought, from safty point of view , this should be advised. But in Pune/MH, i dont even see 100% riders with helmets !! leave alone lippers :-).

PS: I never ride without Helmet.

Last edited by idea : 6th May 2012 at 00:39.
Old 6th May 2012, 01:07   #21
BHPian

So all mechanics who take your Bike/car etc for test drives should buy a shoe
is it start of another scam called "SHOE SCAM".

If this happens with me, I would fight to get this in writing on challan and would seek help from court of law and media as its a Insult of common man's rights, and
I think it sounds similar to survey which states a little under Rs.20/day is sufficient for a family to survive.
Old 6th May 2012, 01:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Don't know whether to laugh or be sad about this! Is this real? No slippers? What's with the obsession with biker's dressing all of a sudden? First was compulsion of helmets, now compulsion of shoes. First was at least with good reason, but this is ridiculous.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:19   #23
Team-BHP Support

A bit outlandish, I must say. A rule I wouldn't think of enforcing as I'd thought it's understood that one should wear adequate footwear while riding. C'mon, does the law need to tell you that you need to ride wearing comfortable and protective footwear?

Sandals/chappals/flip-flops are woefully inadequate for the purpose of riding, at least from a safety point of view.

That said, will/can this law be enforced in a country like India, where 50% (or more) wear flip-flops/chappals? It's going to be hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Yes, driving a motor vehicle in sandals or chappals is NOT allowed. Driver shall wear proper shoes. I am not able to produce a link for this but I have heard about this from Punjab Police. One of the way to extort money form outstation cars when everything is okay but the driver is in slippers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
How do they catch drivers of the motor vehicles were the foot of the driver is not visible, say car for instance?

And any idea if driving barefoot is an offense or not?
Actually, I'd heard of a practice from several people. My parents and even my driving instructor (several years ago) insisted that I drive barefoot. Apparently, it gives you good feedback and 'feel'. Heavy shoes with thick souls often rob you of the feel of the pedals, I was told.

I must admit, I was very uncomfortable driving barefoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
This is crap ! AFAIK, there is no such rule in the CMVR ( I would love to be corrected on this) . If they have such a rule that would mean the Father of the nation is not eligible to drive a 2 wheeler.

Spike
Sorry, Spike. Have to disagree with you here.

Whoever you are, the Father of the Nation or the Queen of England. A rule is a rule, and there is a purpose behind it. It's sad if the purpose is to extort money. But look at it this way, your feet would be that much safer on the road.

Father of the Nation or not, riding especially in our country is scary. You never know what will happen to you, however careful you are. It's not about having the privilege of riding barefoot just because you've given us independence. It has nothing to do with that. This is about riding in a hostile environment where even a strong wind or sandy/oily surfaces could bring you down. MKG would agree.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th May 2012 at 02:27.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 09:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I must admit, I was very uncomfortable driving barefoot.
Driving barefoot is uncomfortable, as well as DANGEROUS. Some people sweat a lot, and it makes the foot slippery on pedals.

Proper grip on pedals is very important for adequate control in extreme circumstances.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wrong inference

Quote:

Sorry, Spike. Have to disagree with you here.
Suhaas, I think you got me wrong. I did not mean that driving barefoot is better or must be encouraged. The last line in my post was to add some humor (see the smiley at the end).

Quote:
Whoever you are, the Father of the Nation or the Queen of England. A rule is a rule, and there is a purpose behind it. It's sad if the purpose is to extort money. But look at it this way, your feet would be that much safer on the road.
Agree

Quote:
Father of the Nation or not, riding especially in our country is scary. You never know what will happen to you, however careful you are. It's not about having the privilege of riding barefoot just because you've given us independence. It has nothing to do with that. This is about riding in a hostile environment where even a strong wind or sandy/oily surfaces could bring you down.
Fully agree to you on this and I endorse the view that proper driving gear must be used while driving.

Quote:
MKG would agree.
So do I.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 6th May 2012 at 10:23.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 10:22   #26
BHPian

Riding with slippers on your feet is dangerous.One runs the risk of losing a toe or two or more. So whether it is a law or not , it is a practice that is best avoided. I was always told wear proper footwear when taking the two wheeler out.
However when it came to driving , I was taught to drive barefoot. Our driver insisted that this gave the learner better feedback and control. It took me a while to kick this habit.
I taught my wife to drive and now even after twenty years of driving she still kicks off her sandals when she gets behind the wheel. So, I am really going to get kicked if this practice permeates to Tamilnadu!
Any rule which encourages safety all round must be followed . Nothing is more irritating than rules being insisted upon as a means of harrassment.
regards,
Ashok
Old 6th May 2012, 10:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, I'd heard of a practice from several people. My parents and even my driving instructor (several years ago) insisted that I drive barefoot. Apparently, it gives you good feedback and 'feel'. Heavy shoes with thick souls often rob you of the feel of the pedals, I was told.
Oh yes! I remember my driving instructor insisting on me removing the shoes before starting on the daily session. According to him, that helps to connect with the car

And yes, riding motorbikes with slippers is dangerous. But then, I wish they get stricter on saving the head (helmet rule) before getting on with the footwear rule.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
This should be made a law in Chandigarh also, i consider riding with slippers/sandals an insult to the motorcycle.
And also proper shoes are safer in-case you fall.
AFAIK,its already in place in chandigarh,its just that Cops overlook the fact of riding with slippers,as helmet is always given first preference,and most of the chappal clad riders wont have a helmet either
Old 6th May 2012, 12:15   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Driving barefoot is uncomfortable, as well as DANGEROUS. Some people sweat a lot, and it makes the foot slippery on pedals.

Proper grip on pedals is very important for adequate control in extreme circumstances.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Suhaas, I think you got me wrong. I did not mean that driving barefoot is better or must be encouraged. The last line in my post was to add some humor (see the smiley at the end).

Agree

Fully agree to you on this and I endorse the view that proper driving gear must be used while driving.

So do I.

Spike
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, Spike. Should have understood the humor. Was having a rough night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Oh yes! I remember my driving instructor insisting on me removing the shoes before starting on the daily session. According to him, that helps to connect with the car

And yes, riding motorbikes with slippers is dangerous. But then, I wish they get stricter on saving the head (helmet rule) before getting on with the footwear rule.
I think it would take a long time for the authorities to enforce rules that make adequate riding gear mandatory. Shoes, gloves and a helmet are a must, in my book. But in a country where people buy Rs.100/- helmets just to by-pass the law, I wonder how this rule can be enforced strictly.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
How do they catch drivers of the motor vehicles were the foot of the driver is not visible, say car for instance?
And any idea if driving barefoot is an offense or not?
It can be done in the same way they check for Bus / taxi driver's uniform. At times few drivers (on Delhi roads) just wear the shirt of their uniform but the trouser of different color and they are being challaned by the traffic police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Does the rule say driver shall wear proper shoes, or proper footwear? I know that driving barefoot is illegal in some countries, but proper shoes – that’s interesting. Not sure if there is a definition there on proper shoes. For e.g.; Majority of women drivers would be driving with some kind of footwear on, but not shoes probably.
Or probably, I should spend big on one of these when I get to India next time Car Shoe - The original driving Car
From proper shoes, I didn't mean a specific driving gear but it should be shoes. No specific information is available in this regard. I have just heard about such rule.

Quote:
I too was advised by my driving instructor (a driver of my relatives) that I should learn driving without any footwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
AFAIK,its already in place in chandigarh,its just that Cops overlook the fact of riding with slippers,as helmet is always given first preference,and most of the chappal clad riders wont have a helmet either
Yes, I too have heard about this rule in Punjab itself.

Cheers!
Irish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks