Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 00:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Biking in this extremely hot Summer?

A valid question. "Live to ride" and allied sentiments aside, here's what I propose:
  • If you want to ride for the fun of it and not owing to a compulsion, you can choose to do so early mornings / late evenings.
  • Choose a route where it will be possible for you to ride "non stoppish". Personal experience, the biggest issue with riding in the heat is when you have to come to a halt every few minutes (traffic lights, heavy traffic etc). Chalk out your route in a way that your stops are minimised and the effect of heat (again a personal opinion) reduces by at least 50%.
  • A good pair of sunglasses (with proper UV protection, not the cheap roadside waalas) help cut down the glare and the ambience "appears" to be cooler. Definitely helps.
  • Like many other BHP-ians, I too stress the need to wear at least the bare minimum gear viz - proper riding boots / shoes, a full face helmet and riding gloves. Oh yes, and a good pair of denims at the very least. Say goodbye to formal trousers (on a bike, YUKKKKKKKKKK), bermudas, capris and the likes. It may sound crazy but after a couple or so runs, putting on your gear irrespective of the weather will become second nature to you.
  • Lastly, a good bandana. Helps soak a good deal of sweat from your scalp / forehead and prevents it from getting on the helmet visor (along with your snazzy sungalsses). Also, kinda adds to your rebel biker look. I suggest carrying a couple at least; in case going for a longish ride.
Ride safe.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 8th June 2012 at 00:37.
Old 8th June 2012, 02:49   #32
BHPian

Hi Bluevolt,
Your aim of riding 2-3 days a week means its safe to assume that you aren't looking for a really long ride but perhaps just short ones to keep the bike in running condition.

As a few have already advised, just take the bike out for a short spin early morning/late evening. As long as you're back soon enough (say within 1-2 hours) no need to bother with stuff like shades, water, snacks et al. Though please ride safe - helmet and shoes are a bare minimum, better if you have riding gloves and a good riding jacket.

So I noticed with a lot of interest how people have said that if someone is a true biker they'll ride in any weather. I think I can call myself a true biker after having done many rides including Del-Mum-Del (solo), Hyd-Del (solo), tour of Rajasthan (solo - that too in summer), ride to Himachal (group) etc not to mention innumerable day rides to Ambala, Agra, dhabas near Jaipur and what not. I have spent hours on the saddle (there were times when I rode 16-18 hours in a day), have had my headlight blow out in the middle of the night with the nearest town a 100km away, been hit by a bat (the batman ones, not the cricket waala!!) while riding, rode on the hills, plains, desert...you name it so what I say comes from experience and hard-earned lessons and not hearsay!

My advice - understand your body and your bike - doing a 200km+ leisure ride in this season makes no sense what so ever. You will be putting needless strain on your body as well as your bike and while your ego might get a good boost for a few hours; your joints, back, skin and your bike will be cursing you for days to come I can understand if you have to take the bike out on emergency but please don't get swept up in the hype and a false sense of confidence/achievement.

If you want a longer ride, just wait out 1-2 months, once rains are out of the way the weather will be much better and a ride will make that much more sense - just my 2 cents.
singhsid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 21:32   #33
BHPian

I tend to agree with singhsid. biking season will be here soon. You will get dehydrated in this heat, will be tired and tend to make mistakes which can be lethal. so park your bike and ride when you are comfortable riding. Or if ur still hell bent on riding then take the bike out early at 5:30 AM, weather is good and light is good too with no traffic.

And please also wear a jacket, in the summers you can use a mesh one....believe me sweat and heat is a lot less painful then skin grafting.

Note from Support:

1- Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins.
2- Do not post....like....this. Please use proper punctuation.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th June 2012 at 13:17. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2012, 20:27   #34
BHPian

Hi, it is possible to ride with all the gear in scotching heat and still keep yourself cool. The trick here is to keep your neck protected from the heat. The blood vessels in the neck are superficial and as a result absorbs more heat into the blood from the atmosphere and transfers it to the body core and thus increasing body heat. This can be prevented by wrapping a wet scarf around the neck and hydrating it often. Thus the brain and the body core remains cool and you have the protection of your best riding gear as well.
Regards adrian
Old 11th June 2012, 14:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised at this question bluevolt, especially when it comes from a professional rider like you.

Personally I feel summer is THE BEST time as you won't find people's menace of crossing the road nor watery roads for brakes to slide.

Wearing a mesh jacket over a thin cotton tee's helps; ride with shorts instead of jeans, keep drinking plenty of water (no Gatorade, energy drinks, they're mere waste of money), 7up or any of favorite aerated drinks though nothing can substitute water; apply moisturizer/Nivea at butts; eat fresh fruits or consume juices; have hard boiled sweets or drink Maaza etc & mix Electral to avoid cramps; eat & sleep well to avoid fatigue.

If the heat is still unbearable, avoid riding between 12:00 noon to 4:30 PM & compensate it by starting early (best option) or ending the ride late & take rest at Dhabas during the noon time.
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 17:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
7up or any of favorite aerated drinks though nothing can substitute water; .
7up and any aerated drinks should absolutely avoided during long summer rides. It accelerates dehydration. Like you said, water is the best liquid.

Also, the new age talcum powders like dermicool and navarathan cool, helps in shielding from the heat

Last edited by madbullram : 11th June 2012 at 17:30.
madbullram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 07:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
7up and any aerated drinks should absolutely avoided during long summer rides. It accelerates dehydration. Like you said, water is the best liquid.
saar, 7up is not the ONLY drink to be taken through the journey, but to reinstate 7up ALONG with water. I should've mentioned it clearly. Aerated drinks along with water doesn't dehydrate so soon. Instead of consuming 1.5 litre of water, a litre of water with .5 or .3 litre of aerated drinks gives a change.
Old 12th June 2012, 08:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
saar, 7up is not the ONLY drink to be taken through the journey, but to reinstate 7up ALONG with water. I should've mentioned it clearly. Aerated drinks along with water doesn't dehydrate so soon. Instead of consuming 1.5 litre of water, a litre of water with .5 or .3 litre of aerated drinks gives a change.
Oh did not know this. I remember some 5-6 years when I had fainted during the Rajasthan ride the doctor giving me a royal dress down for drinking aerated drinks and water. He said the high sugar, carbonation of the drink was the reason and I should avoid any of these aerated drinks. His advice was its good when we need some instant energy (he was referring cyclist on short ride having them if I remember) and not when you planning to ride long.

The advice he had given, which I had followed and helped me immensely during touring was water, coconut water, juices without ice . Also, chocolates
Old 12th June 2012, 09:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
during touring was water, coconut water, juices without ice . Also, chocolates
Right, but these days Maaza & Slices are found more than tender coconut water. Using hard boiled sweets has its own advantage that they don't melt like chocolates + chocolates causes more thirst.

Mixing a little Electral with Slice/Maaza helps on energy & regain the lost salts through sweat from the body.

All said, bottom line still remains the same - There's no substitute for water (just like water doing a great job on LC engine )
Old 12th June 2012, 16:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Bought water bladder from Decathlon (you get similar ones outside also). Coconut water is best substitute.
Have been looking for this. Think I will place an order soon. Though the monsoons are nearly here.

And a little OT - anyone checked out the blog from where the picture of the water bladder was taken? Amazing blog, artwork!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 21:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Have been looking for this. Think I will place an order soon. Though the monsoons are nearly here.

And a little OT - anyone checked out the blog from where the picture of the water bladder was taken? Amazing blog, artwork!
I wanted provide Decathlon link, it was not working other day.

Now I am not seeing the bag on their site. However they have different types.
Buy Btwin Cycling MTB WATER BAGS WATER BAG 7 Online

If you are not Bangalore, you can check in a shop at Mantri Mall. The shop is at LG, left to Spar. They sell similar stuff, but at normal market price.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I have not used my bike for past one month due to summer heat here in NCR (Temperatures are 40+ ever since beginning of May).

I want to know how other BHPians are dealing with this issue. I am really missing my Karizma and want to use it at least 2-3 times a week but parents advise against it.

But on the same note I don't want to fall ill because of the Loo. I usually wear a WINCHITER over the shirt to prevent hot winds hitting my body directly.The same thing applies during rains and cold wave too. In other words how to deal with biking during extreme weather conditions.
Interesting subject. Americans have a saying 'A comfortable G.I. is a more efficient G.I.'. I use my bike year round. Summer, monsoon, winter, all through out. While Mumbai's summers are not as hot as the summers in the north, they still have a bite in them. The key to using bike year round is being properly equipped with the right riding gear for each season.

Winter in Mumbai is almost temperate and does not require heavy insulated riding gear. My riding jackets have a waterproof insert which blocks the air vents preventing the wind chill. That is more than enough to keep me warm and cosy. A nice pair of riding gloves and riding shoes take care of feet and hands, keeping me warm and cosy even at 100 km/h.

Monsoon is real fun to riding in. If you are properly equipped, riding in the rains is one of most relaxing experience. It really helps me unwind after a full day's hectic work. I have couple of rain suits for the monsoon. A 2 piece and a 1 piece. Both are by Spada. Guaranteed not let in 1 drop of water. Along with the rain suit, I have water proof gloves by Alpinestars and water proof shoes from Sidi. Along with a good helmet with anti fog visor, these make sure that not a drop of water leaks in even at 70 - 80 km/h.

For summer, I have a well ventilated jacket along with ventilate riding gloves and shoes. In addition to these I use a Veskimo personal cooling system. You can find more information on it over here Cool Vest for Heat Stress Relief, Motorcycle Cooling Vest: Veskimo Personal Cooling Systems. The system is extremely efficient and believe me it works. Not a drop of sweat at 40 degree ambient temperatures. It also doubles up as a hydration pack. While it is expensive, it is totally worth it.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 10:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Have been looking for this. Think I will place an order soon.
Quote:
I wanted provide Decathlon link, it was not working other day. Now I am not seeing the bag on their site. However they have different types.
I bought a 2 liter bladder at Wildcraft and it cost me only 500 bucks. If you're on a budget buy this and use any other backpack to put the bladder in it. The hydration packs which come as a backpack with bladder cost around 2.5k onwards IIRC.

Quote:
If you are not Bangalore, you can check in a shop at Mantri Mall. The shop is at LG, left to Spar. They sell similar stuff, but at normal market price.
Sorry, did not understand your post. Did you say the LG shop sells such stuff too?
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 11:07   #44
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Sorry, did not understand your post. Did you say the LG shop sells such stuff too?
He meant Lower Ground. The shop is located near Spar exit.
JVH is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 15:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
He meant Lower Ground. The shop is located near Spar exit.
Thanks Jayant for correcting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks