Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2006, 20:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Dudes...what about a proton air filter for maruti 800...any place in mumbai..where i can get it ..?any contact number..price details..
Old 22nd April 2006, 02:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Proton makes custom filters. It is currently not available in Mumbai. Please PM for details
Old 24th April 2006, 16:18   #18
BHPian

do you work for proton? ( no offence intended but ur posts are seemingly to obvious ) .
1000 bucks for a proton filter is a con job. u get several after market filters ranging for 300 to 500( porsche,hp etc which are more value for money. after all proton stands in the same league( k&n imitation).
proton hav a number of items on the sales menu which are nothing but marketing gimmicks like their multipurpose chambers that they claim improves over all performance.making a good chamber is close to rocket science their are just to many criterias. u can either hav low end ,midrange or top end. having all in one is just a wish list.

getting back to filters im sure proton doesnt hav half of k&n's research capabalities ,experience etc. a badly designed filter can have adverse effects on the engine which is where the enthusiasts wont mind shelling out more for k&n.
i think they wont last long....critiscisms are open
Old 25th April 2006, 00:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljun
do you work for proton? ( no offence intended but ur posts are seemingly to obvious ) .
1000 bucks for a proton filter is a con job. u get several after market filters ranging for 300 to 500( porsche,hp etc which are more value for money. after all proton stands in the same league( k&n imitation).
proton hav a number of items on the sales menu which are nothing but marketing gimmicks like their multipurpose chambers that they claim improves over all performance.making a good chamber is close to rocket science their are just to many criterias. u can either hav low end ,midrange or top end. having all in one is just a wish list.

getting back to filters im sure proton doesnt hav half of k&n's research capabalities ,experience etc. a badly designed filter can have adverse effects on the engine which is where the enthusiasts wont mind shelling out more for k&n.
i think they wont last long....critiscisms are open
Sorry yaar, I dont work for proton. I am not an auto journalist or a magazine content developer....
1. Just posting what I felt and saw with my own eyes on my own bike. I never mentioned it is the best filter in the world.
2. I have never tested HP, Shark filters etc. But I did test proton and saw the difference. I know K&N performance from others experiences. Proton is a cheaper option to those.
3. Protons stuff are (no doubt)not their own technology. He carefully observes K&N and other stuff and makes good alternates at a lower cost. That it...
4. Proton has lots of stuff like 2 stroke reed valves, Expansion Chambers etc. He cuts open foreign stuff and replicates them using his methodology. And making chambers is not rocket science. If it was people like proton and tectrac cant make good Exhaust. Recently he showed me a BMW F650 exhaust for which the owner wants a perfomance exhaust.
5.All good Exhaust manufacturers (except the dubba can makers) grade their stuff into lowend, mid range and topend. Believe me this is not just the criterias. We need to understand that when using a top end exhaust, it gives torque only say above 8500 or 9000RPM. Only road racing bikes need this, cause they are always above this rev band. For normal street use, low end or a maybe midrange is perfect. No exhaust will give you all these. Only showoff guys will think it will and get disappointed.
6. Have you opened a K&N filter and seen what is inside. I have. Thats why I say, theres nothing special in K&N stuff. Proton may use lower quality stuff. Same method. Technology for K&N is not Coca Cola formula. Nothing official about it !!!!!
Old 26th September 2006, 10:34   #20
BHPian

How about fitting any filters for my TVS Fiero F2. Any good filters to go for? Done 23K Kms. Any suggestions.
Old 27th September 2006, 18:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067
How about fitting any filters for my TVS Fiero F2. Any good filters to go for? Done 23K Kms. Any suggestions.
Many brands in the market. K&N is the most popular. Shark, Proton, HP are the others. Depends on what your budgets are. Performance is pretty much the same. Filters is just one component to increase performance, not the end thing.
Old 27th September 2006, 23:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
To all who have been waiting for the feedback on Proton Filters, here it comes......

1. Prima facia it looks like the K&N. But its tougher. I mean the steel used is perhaps harder. Sometimes filters get damaged while being fitted.

2. Same materials used. Animal fat is also used in the manufacture of the filters.

3. Performance - I fitted this on my HH Ambition. The bike has run 39000kms on the stock filter. When I fitted it, it gave out a distinct growl. But it disappeared when I shut the air box. I kept the box slightly open to extract that growl which pleases me.

There is some difference I feel on the power output. It might vary on other bikes since my bike has done 39000kms. It might be higher in new bikes. I certainly feel the engine is breathing better and is opening up. That smooth feeling is evident when you open the throttle.
I am always tempted to ride with a free throttle. To extract more power, I need to rejet the carb. Planning to use main jets from the CBZ (size-105). Stock size is 95.

4. Mileage - Not tested as yet. Will be doing in the forthcoming days. Proton's owner has been using his filters in his M800 mpfi and Honda Activa.He said FE will improve. Need to verify that.

I am currently using a prototype that he has developed. He is still finalising the adapter. Will have a real one fitted once I give him my full feedback. I guess it should cost around Rs.1000, although he has not told me anything on pricing.

He had been developing a custom exhaust for a BMW F650 Funduro and was busy. Will be working with him on a custom exhaust for my Ambition like the one on the Pulsar 250.

Will post more comments soon.
if u have actually seen the quality of the worlds best filters like k&n, UNi etc...u might not even talk like this. i appreciate ur enthusiasm in quoting that proton is the best, but u just cant beat the product quality and benefits of teh worlds best. if a chennai based firm can make filters that can give 17kmpl for a esteem...as if there is not freeflow filter in this world.
Old 28th September 2006, 00:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid
if u have actually seen the quality of the worlds best filters like k&n, UNi etc...u might not even talk like this. i appreciate ur enthusiasm in quoting that proton is the best, but u just cant beat the product quality and benefits of teh worlds best. if a chennai based firm can make filters that can give 17kmpl for a esteem...as if there is not freeflow filter in this world.
Fieroid, No offense meant here.

1. I have seen the ripped up RC 1060 K&N filter - The difference was the quality of the materials used and the pasting and packaging. The quality difference justifies the price differential between K&N and the locals.

2. I have never stated proton is the best. K&N is made on highly advanced machines and a lot of R&D goes in. While Proton is made at a poor neighbourhood by a local auto part maker.

The design is based on many internationally available filters and for your information, this is not rocket science. It has been mentioned on the K&N website itself. Any guy who has cut open the free flow filters and has good engineering skills and a mould design can make them.

3. I just wrote what I have seen and heard at the makers workshop. I personally tested them on my bike and returned good FE readings even after riding hard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks