Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2006, 14:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Proton Performance Filters - Tested!!!!

To all who have been waiting for the feedback on Proton Filters, here it comes......

1. Prima facia it looks like the K&N. But its tougher. I mean the steel used is perhaps harder. Sometimes filters get damaged while being fitted.

2. Same materials used. Animal fat is also used in the manufacture of the filters.

3. Performance - I fitted this on my HH Ambition. The bike has run 39000kms on the stock filter. When I fitted it, it gave out a distinct growl. But it disappeared when I shut the air box. I kept the box slightly open to extract that growl which pleases me.

There is some difference I feel on the power output. It might vary on other bikes since my bike has done 39000kms. It might be higher in new bikes. I certainly feel the engine is breathing better and is opening up. That smooth feeling is evident when you open the throttle.
I am always tempted to ride with a free throttle. To extract more power, I need to rejet the carb. Planning to use main jets from the CBZ (size-105). Stock size is 95.

4. Mileage - Not tested as yet. Will be doing in the forthcoming days. Proton's owner has been using his filters in his M800 mpfi and Honda Activa.He said FE will improve. Need to verify that.

I am currently using a prototype that he has developed. He is still finalising the adapter. Will have a real one fitted once I give him my full feedback. I guess it should cost around Rs.1000, although he has not told me anything on pricing.

He had been developing a custom exhaust for a BMW F650 Funduro and was busy. Will be working with him on a custom exhaust for my Ambition like the one on the Pulsar 250.

Will post more comments soon.
Old 13th April 2006, 14:52   #2
BHPian

gr8 stuff!!.. waiting for further results!.. is there one availiable for the OHC ??

~cheers
-Ash
Old 13th April 2006, 17:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Proton's filters are mostly custom made. You ned to show the car's or bike's intake to actually have a adapter designed.
Old 14th April 2006, 15:32   #4
BHPian

few questions ?;-

Genreally when ur fitting these kinda air filters, u should upjet, to get better performance outta it.

1. Did ur topend increase a bit?
2. Custom Exhaust, Cool, Fill me up a lil .
2. 1000 is actually quiet cheap towards k&n filters, Anywayz ill wait for the org price.i hope its worth it although i never doubt on proton's stuff
3. adapter ? for?
Old 18th April 2006, 01:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak
few questions ?;-

Genreally when ur fitting these kinda air filters, u should upjet, to get better performance outta it.

1. Did ur topend increase a bit?
2. Custom Exhaust, Cool, Fill me up a lil .
2. 1000 is actually quiet cheap towards k&n filters, Anywayz ill wait for the org price.i hope its worth it although i never doubt on proton's stuff
3. adapter ? for?
1. I havent changed my jets as yet. Will be doing it after I return from the Speed run bangalore.
2. I feel the power has increased a bit. No sure whether it is just a feeling
3. I still need to wait for PROTON's final price. The one I have is just a prototype.
4. This filter is the conical type. Hence the Adapter to fit the head of the filter to the air intake tube.
Old 18th April 2006, 08:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

1000 rs sounds like good value, compared to K&N filter. But does it give same level of improvement as K&N?
Old 18th April 2006, 12:38   #7
BHPian

Does this company have a website or anything where detailed info can be read??
Old 18th April 2006, 13:24   #8

Cool Stuff,
Something you guys can suggest for Here Honda Passion ??
Old 18th April 2006, 13:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm162
Cool Stuff,
Something you guys can suggest for Here Honda Passion ??
Well dude, i suggest u got for HP air filters, caz i own a HHPassion with a Hp filter, They cost bout 700 to 800 rs. increase the jets by 5,.

ALso i think mail4jao, is still yet to test out the protons air filter.
Old 18th April 2006, 16:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
1000 rs sounds like good value, compared to K&N filter. But does it give same level of improvement as K&N?
Well, Proton's filters are being used in race esteems in chennai. I dont think anybody will trust this filter if its not good enough, atleast the racing community wont compromise on quality.
Old 18th April 2006, 16:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak
Well dude, i suggest u got for HP air filters, caz i own a HHPassion with a Hp filter, They cost bout 700 to 800 rs. increase the jets by 5,.

ALso i think mail4jao, is still yet to test out the protons air filter.
The filter has been on my bike for about 70 kms now. A week has elapsed. Still testing the mileage that can be achieved. Intake has improved, but not drastically. I can feel the smoothness in the flow.

I was told jets need to changed to atleast to 10 sizes higher. Difficult to get jets too. For my Ambition, I plan to use the CBZ main jet of #105. The stock is #95.
Old 18th April 2006, 19:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good Going. Its about time. K/N charges too much for their glorified piece of paper.
Old 18th April 2006, 22:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
The filter has been on my bike for about 70 kms now. A week has elapsed. Still testing the mileage that can be achieved. Intake has improved, but not drastically. I can feel the smoothness in the flow.

I was told jets need to changed to atleast to 10 sizes higher. Difficult to get jets too. For my Ambition, I plan to use the CBZ main jet of #105. The stock is #95.

Increasing it by 10 is good, i think u will get the maximum performance after jetting , do give a info after doinit, chao
i hope as off for now , u aint running lean?
Old 18th April 2006, 23:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Good Going. Its about time. K/N charges too much for their glorified piece of paper.
K&N has perfected the process of making filters and been pretty much exposed in racing circuits. Hence they will charge more. Moreover it is being imported. Proton uses similar principles and materials and is also handmade.
Old 21st April 2006, 16:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey are the mileage results:

On normal conditions, with normal fuel, my HH AMBITION used to return 53-55 kms per litre.

On using the proton filter, I felt the engine opening up at higher Rev bands possibly above 6000RPM(not sure cause dont have a Tacho).
But I certainly can say that there is more air supply to the engine and the bike is breathing smoothly. Hence I tend to rev a lot.

It returned 50kms to the litre. There are 2 things we need to see here:

1. My bike wasnt tuned after installing the filter
2. I reved a lot to see the effect by doing a lot of wheelies, scrambles

Proton called today to say that a Esteem MPFI fitted with his filter returned 17kms to the litre.My M 800's best was 19kms. MPFI doesnt require any tuning as the chip tunes itself by pushing less petrol to the cylinder because of increased air intake.(Tell me if this is wrong)

I will be getting the real filter next week and will have my bike tuned and jets upsized by Vivek of Tectrac. Will possiblly for an Iridium Sparks as well. Depends on whether Gurminder of Champion can get me one.

Will post more details when the bike is fully done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks