Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 14:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Book : The ABC of servicing and maintaining your Honda Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivavikram View Post
Thanks for your complements.

The book is written specifically for Honda Unicorn and has 100's of images to help readers understand the Step-by-Step instructions written for Unicorn. Having said that, most bikes in India have very similar configurations and the only things that differ are the placement of parts and fasteners. So, if you are a little inquisitive, you should easily be able to work on your Fiero with the help of this book.

We have TVS Bikes(Apache) on the anvil but since Fiero is quite an old model (no offence) and also because there is only the two of us in the team (Regos) we might not be able to write one for Fiero
Ordered the book from Flipkart. Keep up the effort. All the best guys!
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 15:14   #17
BHPian

Ordered one copy - although i do not own a Unicorn, hoping to see an edition on RE motorcycles (especially the newer UCE versions, some info on the EFI500 also would be a boon) soon!

EDIT: Ordered through indiaplaza.

Last edited by Puneet.S : 21st July 2012 at 15:21. Reason: Added info
Puneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 18:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivavikram

Thanks a lot. Please do give us your feedback on the book.
Got the book, had a quick run through, must say its precise and to the point. All the best with rest of the series.
anandtheleo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 18:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Got the book, had a quick run through, must say its precise and to the point. All the best with rest of the series.
Thanks. Complements like these go a long way.
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:22   #20
BHPian

The TOC looks excellent for routine maintenance. Congrats guys for the initiative. Is one on RE (Iron engine ones) planned?
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
The TOC looks excellent for routine maintenance. Congrats guys for the initiative. Is one on RE (Iron engine ones) planned?
Thanks a lot.
YES. You will see one on RE soon.
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:15   #22
BHPian

congrats on the effort.
looks well detailed and a nice DIY guide even for novices.
btw,any plans to make such stuff for the yamaha FZ series(16,S,fazer)!
Old 22nd July 2012, 17:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
congrats on the effort.
looks well detailed and a nice DIY guide even for novices.
btw,any plans to make such stuff for the yamaha FZ series(16,S,fazer)!
Thanks mate.

Yes! Pulsar, RE and FZ are next in the lineup. :thumbs
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Quote:
Thanks a lot.
YES. You will see one on RE soon.
There are many material available on RE (Cast iron Engine) on internet. Important & special about AVL engine will be useful and appreciated.
Regards
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

It couldnt have been more an appropriate time for this book to have been written. I have a Unicorn for the last 7 plus years and reality is that I haven't found one competent service center till date in Chennai. So the last time I gave the bike for the so called service was more than 2 years ago after which I started carrying out regular maintenance myself including changing oil etc. Thankfully my usage is very limited (9k in 7 plus years). I was just looking out for some guide like this and I see this thread come up. Have just ordered it from Indian gifts portal. Thanks a ton to the authors. Will review the book once I get it and provide more feedback.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 15:08   #26
BHPian

Congrats and good job Sivavikram.

Being a Unicorn owner I am sure the book will be of a great help to me. Have ordered it just now on Indiaplaza.com. Will provide my feedback once I start reading

Cheers.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 16:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
It couldnt have been more an appropriate time for this book to have been written.
=========
Have just ordered it from Indian gifts portal. Thanks a ton to the authors. Will review the book once I get it and provide more feedback.

Thanks a lot. Do give us your feedback so we can make the next releases better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Congrats and good job Sivavikram.

Being a Unicorn owner I am sure the book will be of a great help to me. Have ordered it just now on Indiaplaza.com. Will provide my feedback once I start reading

Cheers.
Thanks a lot. Please do provide your feedback, it will be of great help.

P.S. The book is actually written by me and my friend Mr Sravan. I shall convey your complements to him too

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th July 2012 at 16:36. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 17:02   #28
BHPian

Just received the book from Indiaplaza.com. Excellent service. They delivered in under 26 hrs after placing the order and at Rs.109/-.
The first book I ordered from Flipkart was taken away by a close friend of mine. He was too eager to lay his hands on it and I had to let it go. So, I assume, the response to this book is very good.
Went through the pages quickly. Its just awesome. Thank the authors from the bottom of my heart. The details are covered with great accuracy and illustrations are great so that even dummies can do the works mentioned. Applauds to the sincere effort.

I was a little confused regarding the air pressures for tyres mentioned in the book though. Authors, please clarify. The air pressure mentioned on my swing arm sticker and the owners manual say 25psi for front and 29 psi for rear for both single and with pillion riding. I own a 2007 model - the third model in which alloys and wider tyres were introduced. And i maintain 30 psi during dry conditions and 32 psi in wet weather. I get an average of 56-59 kmpl average on the streets of Hyderabad with fair amount of grip. Please clarify what was the basis for the pressure mentioned in the book. Is it from the owners manual of some other variant of the bike or is it from experimenting?
Old 25th July 2012, 22:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
I was a little confused regarding the air pressures for tyres mentioned in the book though. Authors, please clarify. The air pressure mentioned on my swing arm sticker and the owners manual say 25psi for front and 29 psi for rear for both single and with pillion riding. I own a 2007 model - the third model in which alloys and wider tyres were introduced. And i maintain 30 psi during dry conditions and 32 psi in wet weather. I get an average of 56-59 kmpl average on the streets of Hyderabad with fair amount of grip. Please clarify what was the basis for the pressure mentioned in the book. Is it from the owners manual of some other variant of the bike or is it from experimenting?
Thanks a lot for the complements.

The tyre pressures have been quoted from Honda's Workshop manual. The figures are actually for the first gen Unicorn (spoked wheels). You should definitely follow your user manual. Thanks for point out mate. We shall include tyre pressures for all the variants in the reprint.

Its interesting to see that you increase your tyre pressure for wet conditions It makes sense in the way that higher pressure opens up the grooves and thus better water dispersion. But with higher pressure you will be riding on a smaller contact patch and also along the center line of the tyre both result in lesser grip. But again this is a matter of great debate world over. There are tests that prove low pressure to be worse in wet conditions but about high pressure....I donno. I would really like to know your reason
Old 26th July 2012, 12:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Its interesting to see that you increase your tyre pressure for wet conditions I would really like to know your reason
Well, this practice was actually adopted after a lot of trial and error. Yes, contact patch is reduced but Higher pressure in tyres, as I see it, seems to improve both cornering & braking grips, but there is a sacrifice in terms of grip over slush. So, the confidence gained on normal wet roads make me give more wightage over the other case. Slush, wherever I encounter, makes me slow down invariably. What do you think?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks