Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 17:24   #1
BHPian

K&n Filter For Activa

Hi!
Was wondering if a K&N filter is available for the Honda Activa and will it do any good by replacing the stock filter with a K&N? Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Rgds
Prithvi
Old 20th April 2006, 18:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

One of the members, HOTROD, has had a k&n fitted on to his Dio (Activa and Dio have the same engine).

PM him for his opinion.
Old 21st April 2006, 15:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Proton has been running his own filter on his Activa for quite some time now.

That filter is being tested on my HH Ambition now. Its running fine. PM for more details or check results of my test, check this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rs-tested.html
Old 21st April 2006, 16:41   #4
BHPian

thanks for the reply guys
Old 25th April 2006, 10:07   #5
BHPian

Hey Prithvi.I got K&N fitted to my dio.Awesome sound and performance.So is my plugs.I changed them to NGK iridium.so Is my rear tyre to wider ones.Yes my perfrormance is affected,but not a lot.Still i drag with stock dios and activa s.And i win.I ve even dragged with 125 cc bike s and still win.For further querie s you can still ask me.
Old 19th April 2009, 19:57   #6
BHPian

Hi HOTROD.
I'm planning to put a K&N filter for my Activa.Is upjetting the carb necessary?Is there any change in fuel consumption?
Old 20th April 2009, 08:29   #7
BHPian

An Activa is a Honda and good as it is. Please do not be lured into the marketing hype of a K&N, they are practically useless on a small capacity gearless machine. Stay stock.
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:57   #8
BHPian

But they do say RC-1060 filter is for engine capacities ranging from 100-200cc & an activa is a 102cc vehicle.So do you mean to say K&N filter is purely a gimmick to make people part with their money?Does a K&N do its job on higher capacity engines?
Old 26th April 2009, 21:50   #9
BHPian

You are right, the Honda Activa is optimised correctly where the Air box is concerned so is every other bike in the country. A k&N filter is more likely to be detrimental to the performance of a stock machine. Unless the engine was ported and the port velocity increased with the bottleneck being the airfilter due to inferior surface area, you do not need a performance aftermarket airfilter.

Higher capacity engines are basically built for higher performance, so yes they would tend to show better results than a smaller capacity one.
But what is basically unacceptable to us is that the engineers who built the engine did not know what they were doing.
In the end its a Honda, you do you improve a Honda?
Old 26th April 2009, 23:20   #10
BHPian

A bit off topic, but looking out for a used honda activa in s. mumbai. Can any one help. Please PM.
Old 27th April 2009, 00:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
A bit off topic, but looking out for a used honda activa in s. mumbai. Can any one help. Please PM.
have a look at the classifield section.

rev
Old 27th April 2009, 01:12   #12
BHPian

Hey, just felt like contributing to the thread.

I am in the process of preparing a Honda Dio with a mid race setup. Its gone through a lot of stages and am finally going to be finishing Stage one modifications soon for it.

An aftermarket filter will definitely do good. I have a K&N RC1060 on my Dio since the past 2.5 years. No problems from the filter so far. But remember to upjet the carburetor if you're planning a filter upgrade. Without upjetting the carb, you wont notice much performance gain and also your engine will be running leaner (more air, less fuel). There are chances of engine failure if running a lean setup but its not 100% evident. But if you really want a performance gain then I suggest you upjet the carb accordingly. The Activa (& Dio) runs a Keihin PB18 carburetor with a 99101-116 style main jet/pilot jet. You need a jet of the range 65-75. You need to experiment and see which jet suits your application. You can verify the jet correctness by looking at the spark plug.

This kind of modification adds to the engine power and hence increasing BHP. Maximum gains can be achived if the stock airbox is removed and the filter is directly attached to the carburetor which is significantly upjetted. Otherwise, you can jus open the box a little and upjet accordingly. You're get power and a lot of noise! You can close the air box cover to reduce the noise.

I hope I was able to help.

Good Luck!
xmOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2009, 17:28   #13
BHPian

Now what I heard a few days back was very strange.
A friend of mine (not a close one) was telling me that he changed his Activa air filter to a Dio air filter. I asked him what was the point. To that he replied that Dio has a better air filter when compared to an Activa's. He was also telling me some rubbish on how Dio has a soft and smooth air filter unlike the Activa. I was in a hurry so could not ask him to explain in detail.
Old 9th November 2011, 14:27   #14
BHPian

Re: K&n Filter For Activa

Replying to this topic very late, but I am in the process of adding a K&N Rc 1060 to my Dio. I read the posts on this forum, and realised that upjetting the carb is necessary. However, I don't really know what exactly "upjetting" means, and when I asked my mechanic, he didn't seem to be too sure about it, all he said was "we'll see while installing what needs to be done, upjetting or anything". Didn't sound too convincing to me.

Can anyone here kindly explain what exactly the process is, and what I need to tell him.

Also, he quoted me 1890/- for the RC 1060. Is it fine?
Old 9th November 2011, 15:46   #15
BHPian

Re: K&n Filter For Activa

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Replying to this topic very late, but I am in the process of adding a K&N Rc 1060 to my Dio. I read the posts on this forum, and realised that upjetting the carb is necessary. However, I don't really know what exactly "upjetting" means, and when I asked my mechanic, he didn't seem to be too sure about it, all he said was "we'll see while installing what needs to be done, upjetting or anything". Didn't sound too convincing to me.

Can anyone here kindly explain what exactly the process is, and what I need to tell him.

Also, he quoted me 1890/- for the RC 1060. Is it fine?
The process of increasing the size of the carb jet is called upjetting(I think!)
Please do not trust mechanics with such precision jobs!
And the price is way too high for the RC 1060.Here it costs 1400 + 100 for fitting it.
I have a Green Hi performance Air Filter installed on my 2010 Dio and the carb has been tuned to Rich AFR.So far so good
Attached Thumbnails
K&n Filter For Activa-image0228.jpg  

K&n Filter For Activa-image0231.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks