Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 15:51   #1
BHPian

Odometer not working

Hi,

I have a 2006 model Honda unicorn. A strange problem happened in my bike some time back. The kilometers stopped incrementing and the 5th digit is now not incrementing at all(for example 19999 refuses to become 20000).

Can you please guide me on what needs to be done. I checked with Honda service center and that goof test drove it once and said it will work fine now that he has driven it

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Odometer not working

Can you check the place where the speedo meter wire meets the wheel?(Worm gear i guess).

This may be the culprit and the service engineer would have pushed it inside when he tested the same.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Can you check the place where the speedo meter wire meets the wheel?(Worm gear i guess).

This may be the culprit and the service engineer would have pushed it inside when he tested the same.
well. He just test drove and came back. He didnt try anything and anyways it didnt work either. The problem still persists. He spent a good part of 15-20mins trying to convince me it works.

Can you suggest anything which i can do to get rid of this problem.
Old 21st August 2012, 19:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sounds to me like the odometer cable is broken and replacing with a new one should do the trick - has happened atleast 3-4 times with my CD100 during the 15years I had it.
BTW, this is something any local mechanic can identify and fix.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Is the speedometer working?

It's the same wire for both the speedometer and odometer; probably changing it could solve it.
Old 21st August 2012, 23:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not sure about newer unicorn's but, 2006 models came with analogue speedo and odo.

Please check the cable. The end might have worn out.
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:36   #7
BHPian

Ya its analog and well the speedometer works fine. Only the odo doesnt!!!
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Hmm, I had (still have) the same problem with our 2001 Scooty-ES - speedometer works fine, but odometer stopped at around 8K kms some years ago. When checked with TVS service, they gave some story of having to change the whole panel etc costing 1000bucks and more, so let it stay that way. I wish it was the other way round though ie. speedo did not work, but odo worked, because the odo was a big help in knowing the FE of the bike, while the speed did not really matter.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^ Hmm, I had (still have) the same problem with our 2001 Scooty-ES - speedometer works fine, but odometer stopped at around 8K kms some years ago. When checked with TVS service, they gave some story of having to change the whole panel etc costing 1000bucks and more, so let it stay that way. I wish it was the other way round though ie. speedo did not work, but odo worked, because the odo was a big help in knowing the FE of the bike, while the speed did not really matter.
Ya gave it to Honda Service center today. He said he will check and let me know if Speedometer cable is the problem. If its not, i am thinking of letting the problem stay!

btw not really sure what the Honda guys are smoking..700Rs for a oil change???
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it only the 5th digit which is not moving or all the digits? Get it checked at some local shops who repair speedometers and alter the readings. Probably the gears(I hope that is what they are called) in the speedo assembly are broken/worn out.

You can also try the Honda A** but they might ask you to replace the whole speedometer assembly.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Is it only the 5th digit which is not moving or all the digits? Get it checked at some local shops who repair speedometers and alter the readings. Probably the gears(I hope that is what they are called) in the speedo assembly are broken/worn out.

You can also try the Honda A** but they might ask you to replace the whole speedometer assembly.
Well the first 4 are stuck @ 09999 and the 1 increment doesn't happen. This a kind of an old problem which i had postponed fixing from time to time
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait for the findings of the Honda A** and then take a call. IMO, there is some issue with the odo assembly and its crown pins(setup similar to ones found within a watch).

Regarding the Rs.700 for oil change, I paid Rs.380+taxes for oil changes for the 1st free service of my P180 and thought I was being overcharged. I guess I was wrong/luckier than you.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Wait for the findings of the Honda A** and then take a call. IMO, there is some issue with the odo assembly and its crown pins(setup similar to ones found within a watch).

Regarding the Rs.700 for oil change, I paid Rs.380+taxes for oil changes for the 1st free service of my P180 and thought I was being overcharged. I guess I was wrong/luckier than you.
Well this is the last time I am giving Engine oil change to a Honda A**. Next time onwards Shell(or Castrol) it is. Shouldn't be that costly compared to this!!
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:45   #14
BHPian

A quick update on Honda's ever so brilliant(Not really) A**

1> Engine Oil change: Apparently Engine oil is burnt so the charge was 750Rs. I asked him to drop it since i had changed only 3 months ago. He tried convincing me on how every 3 months if i change Engine oil, the engine will be long lasting and smooth!!(4 times a year * 750-->PATHETICALLY HIGH COST. Thinking of going for Shell Oil . Any idea on what their costs are?

2> Battery Change : Apparently the battery is 2006 model, so it has to be replaced @ a cost of 1400Rs. Doesn't mattter if it works or not, its faulty. Had to convince him that it is working perfectly fine(asked him if he checked the engine start button and well he hadn't) and that a replacement is not necessary!

3> And finally, for the problem of Odometer, he suggested replacing the meter panel @ a cost of 2200Rs. Apparently the speedometer wire is fine so this has to be the problem as per them!

Why i still go there for service i dont know. They are basically trying to rip people off giving vague reasons and excuses!! Dont know how Honda can have a good car A** and a pathetc/arrogant 2 wheeler A**
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
1> Engine Oil change: Apparently Engine oil is burnt so the charge was 750Rs. I asked him to drop it since i had changed only 3 months ago. He tried convincing me on how every 3 months if i change Engine oil, the engine will be long lasting and smooth!!(4 times a year * 750-->PATHETICALLY HIGH COST. Thinking of going for Shell Oil . Any idea on what their costs are?
Hi,

Go for fully synthetic Mobil1. Costs 1000 bucks per liter, but, you can change them every year or ~3000kms from a local workshop for 50 bucks. Especially being a motorcycle, which revvs high, your engine will thank you after 40000 kms.
Quote:
3> And finally, for the problem of Odometer, he suggested replacing the meter panel @ a cost of 2200Rs. Apparently the speedometer wire is fine so this has to be the problem as per them!
Obviously, as the speedo is working, the cable is fine. So, before replacing, please try to give it outside A.S.S. If possible to the guys who alter the kms in the speedo. They will correct it in a jiffy for less than 200 bucks.

Most Viewed