Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Odometer not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

Go for fully synthetic Mobil1. Costs 1000 bucks per liter, but, you can change them every year or ~3000kms from a local workshop for 50 bucks. Especially being a motorcycle, which revvs high, your engine will thank you after 40000 kms.
Obviously, as the speedo is working, the cable is fine. So, before replacing, please try to give it outside A.S.S. If possible to the guys who alter the kms in the speedo. They will correct it in a jiffy for less than 200 bucks.
I read in some of the topics here on BHP where many people were saying not to use Fully sythentic oils on bikes and to go for a 20W-40 Grade Semi-synthetic or mineral ones. So was thinking of something like Shell Advance AX3 or AX5. Any idea how it is? Costs 240Rs a bottle. Which one ?AX3 or 5? Was using Castrol before i tried my ill-fated attempt @ servicing at a Honda authorized service rip-off centre
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
I read in some of the topics here on BHP where many people were saying not to use Fully sythentic oils on bikes and to go for a 20W-40 Grade Semi-synthetic or mineral ones. So was thinking of something like Shell Advance AX3 or AX5. Any idea how it is? Costs 240Rs a bottle. Which one ?AX3 or 5? Was using Castrol before i tried my ill-fated attempt @ servicing at a Honda authorized service rip-off centre
I don't think you should have a a problem with FS, few weeks ago i replaced 10w30 Mineral in ZMA with 20w40 FS from Shell (~800/-). I was initially apprehensive too about switching to FS but after browsing several threads on the net i decided to go for it. Trust me it does make a noticeable difference in running and gear shifts too become very smooth.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
I don't think you should have a a problem with FS, few weeks ago i replaced 10w30 Mineral in ZMA with 20w40 FS from Shell (~800/-). I was initially apprehensive too about switching to FS but after browsing several threads on the net i decided to go for it. Trust me it does make a noticeable difference in running and gear shifts too become very smooth.
well we are talking about the Unicorn here. Its already smooth believe me and i doubt any oil can make it even better! Anyway let me think about FS for now. I am stil leaning towards Semi-synthetic AX3 or AX5 just to avoid having to pay 800Rs upfront for FS compared to 250Rs for a SS.

and ya these links supporting what i had said before

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...one-costs.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...a-unicorn.html

Last edited by shadows123 : 23rd August 2012 at 15:48.
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:35   #19

Had the same odometer issue with my 2005 self start unicorn.
The odometer and speedometer stopped working, but fuel meter and rev meter works.
As usual the service centre asks us to replace the entire unit.
I visited a local odometer works shop on CMH Road Indiranagar.
He changed the odometer cable.
But the issue still persists.
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_b2 View Post
Had the same odometer issue with my 2005 self start unicorn.
The odometer and speedometer stopped working, but fuel meter and rev meter works.
As usual the service centre asks us to replace the entire unit.
I visited a local odometer works shop on CMH Road Indiranagar.
He changed the odometer cable.
But the issue still persists.
I am assuming that it is an analog odometer.

If you have tools at home, please check the worm gear mechanism inside the brake shoe. For this you need to remove the front wheel and the brake shoe assembly . The worm / spline gear is inside the brake shoe assembly. Once you locate the worm / spline gear wheel, give a whirl using your finger. If the odometer cable rotates then the problem is with the meter and not the cable . Hope this helps.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I am assuming that it is an analog odometer.

.. worm / spline gear is inside the brake shoe assembly
srini, he says that he has changed the odo cable, so it surely an analog type.

arjun, it is just a five minute job to remove the front wheel and check out what srini suggested.

Just a small correction, as the front brake of the Unicorn is likely to be a disc. In which case the speedo gear drive will be slightly different (there will be a small hub, on the left side, from where the cable is connected to the meter; the hub contains the worm gear which will get mounted on the wheel).

If the speedometer works intermittently, it is most likely due to a worn out worm gear. And, I think the entire assembly needs to be replaced.

Last edited by vrprabhu : 23rd December 2019 at 17:35. Reason: Improved clarity
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks