Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 16:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135

Quick update: Restoration started

Restoration will be done is 2 stages. 1st is the engine rebuild and 2nd stage will be cosmetic upgrade. Initially thought of making a cosmetic make-over only as I felt nothing wrong with the engine / transmission. But my mechanic strongly objected for cosmetic make-over alone.

Opened the engine last evening and surprised that it is still virgin. She clocked 66k km and still running with stock bore and piston asked him to inspect the bore and piston whether the same to be used or re-boring required. Yet to get feedback from him. Packing kit lost its life some years back, we could find a lot of oil inside dynamo. Also the rubber packing in clutch is week, which makes a kind of irritating noise at sudden acceleration.

Planned repair / replacement:
- Re-bore (if required) and change Piston + rings (else change rings alone)
- Change crankshaft bearings
- Change crankshaft (observed a hair line crack at piston end, not sure whether this happened while dismantling)
- Change spark plug, packing kit
- Change clutch rubber packing
- Clean carburetor, silencer and oil pump (already completed)

Along with this I am also getting my wheel bearings, brake shoes and Front tyre replaced.

After the engine rebuild, planning to run her for 2k km to check for performance / any other issues / fine tuning and then proceed with cosmetic upgrade. I don't want her to visit the garage again after cosmetic make-over.

Will keep you guys updated.

Cheers.
Old 1st December 2012, 00:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Quick update: Restoration started

After the engine rebuild, planning to run her for 2k km to check for performance / any other issues / fine tuning and then proceed with cosmetic upgrade. I don't want her to visit the garage again after cosmetic make-over.

Will keep you guys updated.

Cheers.
Congratulations on your new possession.

The RX in anyform is a joy to own and fun to ride.

As for the above paragraph you mentioned I would suggest you collect all the parts first (requires patience and liquid cash reserve). Beware of fake and duplicate or first quality parts (believe me there is a world of difference in using original parts and the others)

Go for the cosmetic upgrades too, the chassis and the suspensions per-se would require to be seen for rust, welds, bends or other discrepancies, this should also be on high priority of your list.

There wont be any hassle or problems after the complete makeover too. This bike is the most simplest example of biking yet the fun factor is considered to be very pristine even today. It would be much easier then to grasp the feel of a new bike after the makeover. Even if you run into some mechanical problem all you have to do is unscrew the tank and side panels.

Get all your nuts and bolts plated in zinc if they are all original company fittings. (a minor Rs. 200/-job approx)

Get a new wiring set it costs really nothing.

Change both tyres if possible, having brand new rubber both sides is like wearing Adidas shoes in comparison to Cheap Canvas Shoes.

For the disc break, Gladiator is a direct fit without any changes, Unicorn and Pulsar Kits are also equally easy but would require minor adjustments. In all the above cases for the disc to be installed you will have to change the front Rim and Hub according to the kit you are installing.

The bike is 14 yrs old, so the passing and green tax will come up after 1 year, the Indian biking law never says the bike cant be ridden after 15 years, only that you have to pay the green tax and have to show them that the bike is fit and roadworthy (passing). Which is another Rs. 3000/- to Rs 3500/- according to state.

As for the stickering, its a personal thing but if you aren't keen on upgrading the bike to a 5 speed then in my opinion you should retain the 4 speed stock look (i.e, if you are looking for a stock look otherwise there is a vast sea of custom look).

What is the piston size the bike is currently running on? Don't opt for anything else than ART pistons and rings. If you have a Yamaha Factory outlet nearby go there and inquire for the parts you have listed.

Focus on bringing the bike in stock condition first and then plan for performance upgrades.

This is really a great forum and people will readily help you in your task as they did to me. Feel free to post any minutest of doubts or queries you have.

Happy Riding, Cheers.
Old 1st December 2012, 00:48   #18
BHPian

Mr. Boss:- It's always my interest to get glued if anyone restoring the RX. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

Also, I like your idea of running the bike for 2k kms before doing a costmetic revamp. See to that you complete the run quick as possible and do the makeover.

Determine the changes and list out the spares required. If those parts needs to be ordered, do so, but procure all of them and finish the rebuild in one shot. I don't have to elaborate in length as you had owned RX earlier.

I'm already procuring spares as and when for my 135 which is due for re-incarnation next year.
Old 1st December 2012, 10:34   #19
BHPian

Congrats on your new possession Mr.Boss!

Even I will keep a close watch on this thread. Though getting a Rx and restoring it is a long pending item in my wishlist, this thread will be of great help to me when I fulfill my wish.
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:50   #20
BHPian

Mr. Boss.
That's a good looking bike.
Congrats on acquiring it.
Hope your rebuild is going on schedule.
By now I guess you would have started on the second stage.
Keep us updated. I am a sucker for rebuilds and when it comes to yamaha RX there is no doubt.
Anyways will love to know how it rides after the engine redo.
What tires did you opt for?
I prefer the first rx135 sticker any day. It seemed odd when I first got the bike but 14yrs now and I am so much in love with it and want it, but cant find it anywhere in Chennai.
What battery?
Please get a seat cover without those advertisements.
Good luck on getting all the parts.
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Anyways will love to know how it rides after the engine redo.
After engine "Make-up" beast is very silent now (not the beats, earlier there used to be some noise from engine, which is not there now) and runs very smooth.
What tires did you opt for?
Ceat
I prefer the first rx135 sticker any day. It seemed odd when I first got the bike but 14yrs now and I am so much in love with it and want it, but cant find it anywhere in Chennai.
Those stickers are available at my place.
What battery?
Amco
Please get a seat cover without those advertisements.
I'm not gonna change the seat covers now. May be will switch later.
Thanks dude.
Engine work completed and no time for cosmetic upgrades.
Please find the comments in bold
Old 18th September 2013, 14:51   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
Devil inside my mind is thinking something off the track, "WHY NOT CONVERT RX135 to RX-Z???"

Is it possible to convert? I hope the frame needs some modification for fuel tank, seat & side panel fitment. If the modifications are minimal, I'm ready to do.
Old 11th October 2013, 22:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgraded the headlight in my RX (budget upgrade, without any electrical modifications)

HL Reflectors : DCM Toyota (Autopal make, 146mm) : 120 INR
Bulb : HS1 Osram Cool Blue MEGA 12V 35/35W: 200 INR
Connectors : H4 with custom made mating connectors for OE wiring harness : 50 INR
Labour : 0 : Complete DIY
Total cost : 370 INR

Housing the new reflector inside the OE headlamp ring is less than 10 minutes job (I have already done a similar job earlier, so little bit of experience)

Output is 200% better than the OE lamp. Low beam gives a wide & uniform spread and the high beam is more than sufficient to make the Truckies and cabbies dip their high beams.

The one on the left is Autopal reflector and the right one is OE.
14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-img_0199.jpg

Got a better lighting without spoiling the OE looks.

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-img_0201.jpg

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-img_0202.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 23:15   #24
BHPian

Mr. Boss, thanks for sharing the upgrade for RX. I would suggest you to try normal (without blue) ie Honda Unicorn stock/OE bulb on to the bike. It used to be Phillips - Germany (long ago). Advantage:- better vision during rains, smog.

I've already done mod on to my RXs (100,135):-
RDD 90/100 lighting kit (generator, RR)
DCM Toyota Reflector - Lumax make
Maruti 800 60/55w bulb H4
P43T bulb Holder
Lighting - Priceless

Last edited by SriramEfunds : 11th October 2013 at 23:17.
Old 12th October 2013, 11:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
I would suggest you to try normal (without blue) ie Honda Unicorn stock/OE bulb on to the bike. It used to be Phillips - Germany (long ago). Advantage:- better vision during rains, smog.
Will give a try and update you the outcome dude. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
RDD 90/100 lighting kit (generator, RR)
Can you please share the price? and where can I get it from?
Old 16th October 2013, 21:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you to try normal (without blue) ie Honda Unicorn stock/OE bulb on to the bike.
Couldn't get the Philips bulbs. Got Bosch 12V 35/35W HS1 bulb today and tried it. Outcome is pretty decent, but bright as Osram Cool Blue. Still I would stick with the Bosch bulb atleast till the end of monsoon.

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-1.jpg

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-2.jpg

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-3.jpg

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-4.jpg
Old 17th October 2013, 10:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Got some black shadows when using Osram Cool blue bulb, on inspection found the below defect

Didn't notice this when I bought it or even during the assembly. Waste of money and a good lesson learned.

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-img_0212.jpg 14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-img_0211.jpg
Old 17th October 2013, 18:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Will give a try and update you the outcome dude. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you please share the price? and where can I get it from?
RDD lighting kit was a product from RDDreams.com, if I'm not wrong they were the first indian motorcycle portal from say 2000 IIRC.

The lighting kit is not been in production today as they were not getting the due raw materials to produce one as stated by Ron Chinoy (Proprietor).

Quote:
Couldn't get the Philips bulbs. Got Bosch 12V 35/35W HS1 bulb today and tried it. Outcome is pretty decent, but bright as Osram Cool Blue. Still I would stick with the Bosch bulb atleast till the end of monsoon.
If you notice the Osram Cool Blue, though the color temperature is somewhat towards color white, however, the intensity and the feedback (if I can call it) or reflection is much better from Bosch bulb in my opinion.
Color temperature exceeding 4300K will be look very bright for other vehicles but the reflection or feedback from the road at night will be too much for our eyes to recognize, it is even worse during the rainy season.
Anything around 3800-4000k is the best and it's my personal opinion.

Quote:
Got some black shadows when using Osram Cool blue bulb, on inspection found the below defect

Didn't notice this when I bought it or even during the assembly. Waste of money and a good lesson learned.
Hero Honda/Hero Motocorp, Bajaj bikes were fitted with Halonix Halogen bulbs as thas their standard equipment.

Honda Unicorn, Yamaha(not sure if all the models) bikes were supplied with Phillips Halogen bulbs.

I'm not against the after market bulbs, few are exceptions like Phillips Extreme Vision (60/55w) which I'm using on my Karizma is a delight while riding at night.

So try getting hold of some bike's OE bulb and that should serve decent life.
SriramEfunds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 22:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, got another RX a couple of days back.
Here is the restoration thread
1997 RXG

All your inputs & suggestions are most welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks