Team-BHP - My 5 year old Suzuki Access
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   My 5 year old Suzuki Access (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/127137-my-5-year-old-suzuki-access-4.html)

Hi Guys,

I saw many reviews regarding Access brakes are insufficient which is of 120mm. Can a 130mm brakes be fitted? Is it anyway easy install?

Thanks,
RAmki

Hi Guys,

I've one basic query for Access users. I read on some other website that when Access is taken out during rains the engine stalls!!!
And it stalls due to the fact that the rain water enter from back wheel to the air filter which causes the engine to stall and need to replace the air filter itself which is around 100+ bucks every time. Is this true?

Please inform me whether this problem exists in Access or not which would enable me to buy or not.

Thanks,
Ramki

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki067 (Post 3185505)
I read on some other website that when Access is taken out during rains the engine stalls!!! And it stalls due to the fact that the rain water enter from back wheel to the air filter which causes the engine to stall and need to replace the air filter itself which is around 100+ bucks every time. Is this true?

Not true. We have been using the Access since July 2009. Never had a problem with the engine stalling during rains. The filter in our scooter is still the original one. :thumbs up How can a Japanese giant like Suzuki design a scooter where rain water can enter from the back wheel to the air filter? :eek: Even if the pipe that is connected to the air filter cracks, I don't think that water will reach the air filter. Is it possible for you share the link to the site that you mentioned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki067 (Post 3174244)
Can a 130mm brakes be fitted?

Difficult. Even if done, I doubt whether the benefit will justify the cost.

Quote:

Hi Guys,
when Access is taken out during rains the engine stalls!!!
Is this true?

The air intake opening is placed right next to the fuel lid at that height. So assuming everything else has been fitted properly (read air tight) and nothing is broken, no water should ever enter the air box unless the vehicle is in waist deep water. I have driven my Access all the way from ECity to Infantry road - almost 22km - in wet/rainy conditions countless number of times and never once experienced a stall.

As others have requested, please post the source of this info.

Quote:

And it stalls due to the fact that the rain water enter from back wheel to the air filter which causes the engine to stall and need to replace the air filter itself which is around 100+ bucks every time. Is this true?

Not true, air pipe open from top, the opening is just below the seat neat to fuel lid. In our case the service centre changed the air filter during first service as it was wetted during water service (mistake of service centre). water can never enter air filter even during excessive rains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider (Post 3191428)
Not true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by isiv (Post 3201479)
Difficult. Even if done, I doubt whether the benefit will justify the cost.

As others have requested, please post the source of this info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravigop (Post 3269087)
Not true, air pipe open from top, the opening is just below the seat neat to fuel lid.

Guys,
I had completely forgotten from where i got it. But after googling i found the issue is mentioned in the below link.
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Suzu...iew-poqmspnqpm

Here are two more such incidents reported.

http://www.grahakseva.com/complaints...uki-access-125

In the below link search for "Air Filter is getting filled up with water".
http://www.complaintboard.in/complai...25-l30036.html

do any of you guys think the service cost of Suzuki access is higher than Honda activa??

Great thread.
Our Access will complete 3 years in March. So far it has clocked 12500 KM.
After the first 12 services, we have been getting it serviced outside, since A.S.S.'s are too crowded and don't look at specific issues that you point out.
Some observations from my side:
1. Harsh/ rough ride on uneven roads. Activa (without telescopic suspension) does wonders on mild undulations.
2. Reducing air pressure to 18 will help this, but will reduce mileage considerably.
Mileage for us is between 45-50 kmpl. This is mostly on roads with sparse traffic around Pune city. This also includes around 5 minutes of idling (with choke) in the morning and in the evenings as well during this season.
3. The engine response in the winters is really bad. In contrast my neighbor's 1.5 year Activa does not get affected at all. Without choke, the engine will die immediately. With choke the engine sound is quite coarse and there is quite a bit of vibration. After around 4-5 minutes, then engine sounds normal. After that there is no problem.
4. Difficult to kick-start during winter mornings. Button start works flawlessly.
5. Headlamps are average. Focusing does not help much. Upgrade is needed.
6. Good under seat capacity.
7. Air filter hose got cracked a few weeks ago. Replacement part got for Rs. 185 outside.
8. Faced a puncture in the first few days after buying in 2011. Never faced any other after that.
9. Seating position is higher than Activa. Activa's riding position is much better than the one in Access. This is especially true for the shorter folks (I am 5'4" and my wife is 5').
10. The rear of the scooter seems to lose balance quite easily when going slowly over uneven surfaces. I always get the feeling that the wheel balancing needs to be checked. Service center was never able to address that issue.
11. Ride is better with a pillion.

Looks like this thread finally woke up (or is it me that woke up?). Thought it's time for some updates. Our running on the Access has reduced a lot and it's averaging less than 300 KM/month lately. I'm sticking to the 6 month/2000 KM oil change and 1 yr spark plug replacement schedule. Few incidents worth mentioning:

1. Sometime during mid monsoon last year, all the switches started acting up. Really, all of them at the same time. The indicators would not switch on when you wanted them, the horn would not work without a firm push, and the starter had a mind of it's own. The service center simply wanted to replace all of them. Would have probably agreed had the SA not said the wiring harnesses might need replacing too. Just thought I should do my 'due diligence' before I let the grease monkeys fiddle with the electrics. Spent couple hours on a Sunday dismantling the headlight unit and all the switches. Most of the brass contact points had corroded. A bit of emery and generous spray of WD40 and everything was as good as new. And it's been like that ever since. Why did this happen? No clue. All I can think of is the vehicle was usually parked in an open area, so probably got exposed to more water/dust than it could handle. Would like to know in case anyone else has faced similar problems.

2. The seat cover has started fraying. To the extent that water enters the foam and gets squeezed out onto your pants when you sit on it :D Time for a new seat cover. In contrast, my 8 year old pulsar which is exposed to identical weather developed problems neither with the switches nor the seat cover.

3. Last time the tyres were rotated, the rear tyre was placed at the front. This has affected the handling considerably. Due to wear, more tread has been lost in the centre than on the sides; so the tread surface looks almost flat as opposed to curved. Could this affect handling or am I looking at bigger issues?

4. The rubber foot mat seems to have shrunk (!) and does not fit into the retaining points anymore. Poor quality? Requires replacement as well.

To me, none of these is so critical (except #1 - which again was a simple fix) as to affect my overall positive impression of the scoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki067 (Post 3271223)
Here are two more such incidents reported

Interesting. But very unlikely this could be a design defect. My take is these are more likely cases of cracked filter housings/hoses etc. I do believe more people in India use the internet to talk about bad news than good. I generally look for patterns across reviews rather than infer from few strongly worded ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_U_N (Post 3352181)
2. Reducing air pressure to 18

I wouldn't do that. Excessive flexing due to low pressure will cause heat build up and eventual failure of the tyre/tube/both. Stability might also be affected.

Quote:

3. The engine response in the winters

As mentioned earlier, this really is a result of how the carb has been adjusted. If it has been set lean to favor fuel efficiency, you will surely see some side effects.

Quote:

7. Air filter hose got cracked

That's bad. Just curious - how did you find out? AFAIK, the hose is not normally visible.

My Access is about to complete 4 years, clocking almost 32K. It has been absolutely no hassles ownership. Major expenses have been Rear tyre, replacing battery and front mudguard last year. Been using her as hell, clocking almost 1000+ kms a month. Services haven't been regular in last 1.5 years. Only complaint has been hard suspension setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by isiv (Post 3353745)
Would like to know in case anyone else has faced similar problems.

I find the indicator switches a bit hard. I am not sure how to open up the panel and clean them.

Quote:

3. Last time the tyres were rotated, the rear tyre was placed at the front. This has affected the handling considerably. Due to wear, more tread has been lost in the centre than on the sides; so the tread surface looks almost flat as opposed to curved. Could this affect handling or am I looking at bigger issues?
Is tire rotation really needed? I don't think we have done that for 12K KM's.

Quote:

4. The rubber foot mat seems to have shrunk (!) and does not fit into the retaining points anymore. Poor quality? Requires replacement as well.
Our mat was stolen long back. So we got an aftermarket one -which does not have the protrusions below. So it slides around a bit, but not an issue.

Quote:

I wouldn't do that. Excessive flexing due to low pressure will cause heat build up and eventual failure of the tyre/tube/both. Stability might also be affected.
Why not? 18 psi is the recommended pressure.
Quote:

That's bad. Just curious - how did you find out? AFAIK, the hose is not normally visible.
See photo here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3339836

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_U_N (Post 3354951)
I find the indicator switches a bit hard. I am not sure how to open up the panel and clean them.

Is tire rotation really needed? I don't think we have done that for 12K KM's.

18 psi is the recommended pressure.

Try spraying WD40 into the area where the rocker moves and then wipe off any extra oil. Consider opening it up if that does not work.

AFAIK, one of the benefits of rotation is to ensure even wear on all the tyres. So it should be followed wherever the tyres are interchangeable. Please correct me if I'm wrong. BTW, if your tyres have never been rotated you should see a significant difference in the extent of wear between front and rear.

Perhaps I should have asked whether you're maintaining 18 at the front or the rear before commenting. If it's the front,18 is the correct and recommended value. Anything higher is going to make things bouncy. For the rear, 18 would be too low. The manual has the recommended rear pressures - guess it's 36 for dual and some slightly lower value for solo riding.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by isiv (Post 3353745)
I'm sticking to the 6 month/2000 KM oil change and 1 yr spark plug replacement schedule.

If the scooter is in regular use, changing the engine oil every 2000 kms is too early. Even the user's manual says that the engine oil replacement interval is 4000 kms. In cases where the scooter is idle then you can follow the time based interval. Use brands like Shell, etc and the 4000 kms will be a breeze. If possible ensure that you purchase the oil on your own and have it replaced in front of you. Personally, I am a bit fussy when it comes to oil changes and I do it on my own. I use Shell Advance AX5 (10W-30) and feel that it is far better than Castrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agspins (Post 3354349)
Only complaint has been hard suspension setup.

Absolutely true! When riding solo, the ride is on the harder side. Only when you are riding with a pillion, the ride is smoother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider (Post 3362701)
If the scooter is in regular use, changing the engine oil every 2000 kms is too early.

ensure that you purchase the oil on your own and have it replaced in front of you.

I use Shell Advance AX5 (10W-30) and feel that it is far better than Castrol.

That's probably correct about 4000 KM. But I believe engines that are predominantly run for short durations without enough time to warm up (my ussage pattern) have a higher tendency to form sludge. Not sure if that's still true with todays' oils though.

I was using castrol power1, but wasn't happy with the last fill, seems it's not as good as it used to be. Will give the shell advance a try next time.

BTW, I do the oil changes myself. Takes about 15 mins.