Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 01:39   #1

The Hooligan finally arrives on Dussehra - My KTM Duke 200

I must first pay my respects to my trust worthy work horse that has served me tirelessly for close to a decade – The Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi. It makes me a little sad to think of letting it go.

Coming to my latest acquisition, the orange monster - The KTM Duke 200.
It is an angry machine which wears an unmistakeable “Do Not Mess With Me” attitude. I love the look of diffidence on the face of the rider who catches a glimpse of the hooligan in the rvm and the next second he is left staring at the tail LEDs.

Lastly but my no means the least, I love the stance of my girl when she sits pillion and we all know how generous the pillion space is ;-)
Enough talk….

The Hooligan finally arrives on Dussehra - My KTM Duke 200-img_4703_01_rz.jpg

The Hooligan finally arrives on Dussehra - My KTM Duke 200-img_4708_rz.jpg

Alternatives that I considered and reasons why I deferred them:

1. Bajaj 200 NS : It was quite a lucrative option given very similar performance at about two thirds the price of the Duke. But I wanted an unadulterated experience and the 200NS simply doesn't cut it.

2. Honda CBR 250R : This was going to be my defacto next bike after my Pulsar 180. But the duke was able to trump the 250R in every facet that I prioritized including the pricing.

3. Duke 390 : Until the day I booked my bike i.e. 20st Oct, I was still unsure if I should book the 200 or wait for the 390. It was incredibly hard especially since it is known that like the 200 the 390 would also be launched at a special introductory price and at launch the price difference between them would be only 40-50K. However, I am replacing my work horse and I still needed to consider more practical aspects such as FE and more importantly my budget which I am already stretching with the Duke 200.

Booking & Delivery:

Booked on 20th Oct with a token cash payment. At that point I wasn't carrying a cheque book from one of their preferred banks which include HDFC, ICICI and couple of others. The reason they prefer these banks is because they have a tie up with them which allows them to process the cheques the same day. I paid the balance the next day via an HDFC cheque.

I got the delivery on 24th which was a date chosen by Mom as it was Dussehra. I was contacted by the sales person the day before and given a 12PM time slot. I reached there a little later than that but the rep was busy with a previous delivery. Although, the place was relatively empty, but there was only one rep taking care of every delivery but come to think of it there weren't all that many deliveries, four including mine.

I was given a thorough walk around and explained the features and things to take care of. I was given a Form 19 and nothing else at that point since I was taking delivery on the TC number. I received the remainder of the documents along with the number on 27th Oct.

Overall, the booking and delivery experience was good but definitely could have been better. I can't help but compare this with the delivery experience of my Brio (took delivery on 28th March 2012) and since KTM is a premium brand, I had slightly higher expectations.

On Road Price
Rs. 1,47,000/-

The Lid
SOL MetalMan: Rs. 5,200/-

Other things that I plan to buy in the near future:
1. Tank Pad (1.5K)
2. Fork protector (3.5K)
3. Cotton Reel (3K)
4. Riding Jacket and gloves (probably DSG or RJays) (8K to 10K)

Overall: Rs. 1.7L overall (approx)

Usage Pattern and FE:
Kms completed at the time of writing: 230KM.
I am going to be using for going to my workplace and back which is a 40 KM round trip, 5 days a week
The bike at the time of delivery read 23 KM on the odo.
I plan to now undertake longer trips like Pune, Goa, etc and eventually a trip to Ladakh.

It would be too soon to comment on the FE but over the last 180KM it is giving me a reading of 35Kmpl.

Styling & design, overall build quality and fit & finish:
In one word "Distinctive", that's how I would characterize the Duke's styling. The huge white monoshock at the rear offers a popping contrast to an otherwise black and orange affair.
It is a truly world class product when it comes to the fit and finish. When riding, you would not realize that it made of thousands of individual bits but feels like it has been forged from one single block of metal and rubber. I hit a particularly bad patch of road with a pillion, and I could not hear any complaint from the Duke, it totally took it in its stride. A mention here, the rider and pillion however aren't spared. You WILL feel every bump! Then again, if you are looking for a cushy ride, look elsewhere.

I know that almost all of it has been said before but here are my first few observations anyway (my observations are from the perspective of a rider coming from a Pulsar 180 experience):

1. The clutch is set in a way that it necessitates you to depress it almost till the end. I had trouble in getting it rolling in the first gear. Ended killing the engine the first couple of times and it took me a while to get used to the surge of power when you twist that throttle.
2. The engine is loud and it gets hot! Really hot!
3. I hear a loud, almost whistle like sound when riding constantly at a low speed in the range of 50 – 60 Kmph
4. The seat is hard and does cause pain on extended rides
5. Mirrors are a tad too small. Even in the extreme outward position, I find myself craning my neck to see more of the traffic behind me
6. During the pooja, some chandan and tikka was put on the bike and to my horror, it reacted chemically with the sticker and at that place, the white part has turned yellow! Didn’t expect this at all!
7. The riding stance is very different and takes a while getting used to the fact that how far back your legs need to go to reach the foot pegs
8. The tyre pressure was set to 40+ on both the tyres!
9. The horn, I mean why! Why couldn’t they have provided a more powerful horn!
10. It doesn’t have a center stand!
11. It doesn’t have a kick start! Realized it this morning since I am used to kick start my Pulsar when I start it for the first time for the day and let it idle for a couple of minutes before I ride off.
12. Amazing cornering ability thanks to a low Center of Gravity. It just feels like the entire mass is densely concentrated around the engine and when cornering, the moment you begin to lean, the bike is already leaned in, already turning and when it has leaned it feels planted. (does this line remind you of something? Let me know :-P)

KTM owners, can you guys please confirm about the engine heating and whistle sounds I have mentioned above in points 2 and 3 respectively.

I also have a few questions:

1. Anybody has a price list for the KTM powerparts like the tank pad, racing sticker kit, hand guards, front and rear crashpads (fork protector and cotton reel), racing footrests, Akropovic slip on silencer, alarm system.
2. One of the top FAQ, what speed & RPM and for how long. I have been told below 70 Kmph, below 4K RPM for the first 1K Kms. Anyone wants to add anything to that?
3. Is the first service the correct time to switch a fully synthetic oil like the Motul 7100?
4. How do you guys understand the radiator fans are on, is it the sound because I for sure can’t make it out visually. Are there any known issues around the radiator fan?

I would appreciate any tips/suggestions/important info/DOs & Donts....etc.

Peace out!

The Hooligan finally arrives on Dussehra - My KTM Duke 200-img_4714_rz.jpg

Last edited by karan_nandwani : 28th October 2012 at 15:10.
karan_nandwani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hooligan finally arrives on the auspicious occasion Dusshera...

Congrats Karan.

The heat is normal.

The fan comes on automatically. You cannot hear it while riding, but you can feel the heat of the blow on your legs (especially if you are in shorts or trousers). While off the bike and idling, you can clearly hear the fan come on. Sounds like a big laptop fan. Its a good idea after a hot run to let the bike idle for some time at standstill. Since there is no moving air, the temperature automatically rises, and the fan kicks in, and gets the temperature down by cooling things down before you shut off. Thats what I usually do.

The sound may be from your helmet or a chain set too tight.

Try to by and large keep it within 7000 rpm for the first 1000 kms.

But within that range, feel free to rip the bike through the gears to free it up and load the engine.

If you do cross 7000 rpm a few times here and there, do not feel bad about cheating. Its impossible not to. Otherwise you wouldnt have bought a KTM .....
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:37   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Karan.

Since u are mumbai Based you can go over to performance Racing store at Tardeo and you can get loads of goodies for the KTM. Alternatively stuff like rim stripes & stickering can be bought from PBK itself.

I dont own a KTM but have ridden a few.
1) Just adjust the clutch to your style. In most bikes its a 2 minute job. If not the DIY type take to PBK. No point in not being comfortable for something as silly as clutch setting.
2)Engine does heat. Should settle down a bit after a while but all my friends who own KTMs face this issue. Maybe Engine Ice later will help significantly.
3)KTM stuff is pretty expensive so be prepared to fork out a fair bit if you intend to really go overboard with accessories. Just to give u an idea the cotton reels are Rs 3000 a pair for the R&G and the fork protectors should be more. If u go overboard you will spend as much as the cost of the bike
4)Switch to a synthetic (motul) at the first service. Check the correct grade & buy before u go for service as they may or may not stock it in Mumbai. In the case of the Ninjas the PBK Kanjurmarg did not have synthetic.

Regarding Running in why not read the manual. Generally one keeps the revvs below 4K for the first 800/ 1000 kms then gradually 6K for maybe the next 500 and then on. Basically its all new and you should not overstress the machine. (engine, brakes, tyres all need to settle in) Ignore the running in & u will be probably " ruining it"

Its a cool machine at a good price. Ride safe and buy a good lid and since u have owned a P 180 u should have no issues riding this baby Duke.

Rgds
dinyaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congrats Karan.

Got my Duke the day before. It's a white; for a change

Like few others, Doc's thread has influenced my "Duke" decision. I might otherwise have been riding the CBR150R. All about the Duke has already been said so will just post some pics soon.

PS: I've also been hearing the whistle sound karan_nandwani was pointing out. Though nothing annoying, will get the chain checked soon. It's definitely not the helmet. Thanks!

Last edited by gk01 : 26th October 2012 at 14:35. Reason: Mentioned the wrong thread.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:36   #5

Quote:
Congrats Karan.

The heat is normal.

The fan comes on automatically. You cannot hear it while riding, but you can feel the heat of the blow on your legs (especially if you are in shorts or trousers). While off the bike and idling, you can clearly hear the fan come on. Sounds like a big laptop fan. Its a good idea after a hot run to let the bike idle for some time at standstill. Since there is no moving air, the temperature automatically rises, and the fan kicks in, and gets the temperature down by cooling things down before you shut off. Thats what I usually do.

Try to by and large keep it within 7000 rpm for the first 1000 kms.

But within that range, feel free to rip the bike through the gears to free it up and load the engine.

If you do cross 7000 rpm a few times here and there, do not feel bad about cheating. Its impossible not to. Otherwise you wouldnt have bought a KTM .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinyaar View Post
Congratulations Karan.

Since u are mumbai Based you can go over to performance Racing store at Tardeo and you can get loads of goodies for the KTM. Alternatively stuff like rim stripes & stickering can be bought from PBK itself.

I dont own a KTM but have ridden a few.
1) Just adjust the clutch to your style. In most bikes its a 2 minute job. If not the DIY type take to PBK. No point in not being comfortable for something as silly as clutch setting.
2)Engine does heat. Should settle down a bit after a while but all my friends who own KTMs face this issue. Maybe Engine Ice later will help significantly.
3)KTM stuff is pretty expensive so be prepared to fork out a fair bit if you intend to really go overboard with accessories. Just to give u an idea the cotton reels are Rs 3000 a pair for the R&G and the fork protectors should be more. If u go overboard you will spend as much as the cost of the bike
4)Switch to a synthetic (motul) at the first service. Check the correct grade & buy before u go for service as they may or may not stock it in Mumbai. In the case of the Ninjas the PBK Kanjurmarg did not have synthetic.

Regarding Running in why not read the manual. Generally one keeps the revvs below 4K for the first 800/ 1000 kms then gradually 6K for maybe the next 500 and then on. Basically its all new and you should not overstress the machine. (engine, brakes, tyres all need to settle in) Ignore the running in & u will be probably " ruining it"

Its a cool machine at a good price. Ride safe and buy a good lid and since u have owned a P 180 u should have no issues riding this baby Duke.

Rgds
Thanks guys.

I do have a lid to go with the KTM orange - its the one you see in the first pic - The SOL MetalMan

I am still riding on TC number and I am also waiting for all the documentation to arrive including the manual.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:53   #6

Updated the initial ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
Got my Duke the day before. It's a white; for a change

Like few others, Doc's thread has influenced my "Duke" decision. I might otherwise have been riding the CBR150R. All about the Duke has already been said so will just post some pics soon.

PS: I've also been hearing the whistle sound karan_nandwani was pointing out. Though nothing annoying, will get the chain checked soon. It's definitely not the helmet. Thanks!
Congrats man. How much was the on road price for you?
Old 29th October 2012, 13:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan_nandwani View Post
Updated the initial ownership report!

Congrats man. How much was the on road price for you?
On road was 1.46L.

BTW, the Fork protectors cost 3.5K?!? I also planned to get them once the stock arrives but unless the forks itself are priced steeply, it's hard to justify that cost. Also, just wondering how the forks would get impacted if the bike falls, wouldn't the handlebars themselves stop the forks from taking the hit (atleast to a good extent if not completely).

Excuse my poor imagination here.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:20   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your buys Karan: both the KaTooM and the MetalMan. One of the better bikes to buy, this side of the Ninja 650.

Obviously, Doc is the best person to approach to in case of doubts, but do remember to read your ownership manual thoroughly. That's your motorcycle's bible. Happy mile munching!

Quote:
Just trying to narrow down the problem: the SOL won't be whistling anywhere under 120kmph if the visor is down fully (even with all those vents!).

Quote:
It eggs you on to push it, no?
Old 30th October 2012, 23:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
On road was 1.46L.

BTW, the Fork protectors cost 3.5K?!? I also planned to get them once the stock arrives but unless the forks itself are priced steeply, it's hard to justify that cost. Also, just wondering how the forks would get impacted if the bike falls, wouldn't the handlebars themselves stop the forks from taking the hit (atleast to a good extent if not completely).

Excuse my poor imagination here.
If the bike does fall, the fork will hit the ground.

If you have all 3 in place, i.e. the fork protector, cotton reel and the bar end sliders, almost the entire hit would be taken by these 3 components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Congrats on your buys Karan: both the KaTooM and the MetalMan. One of the better bikes to buy, this side of the Ninja 650.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Obviously, Doc is the best person to approach to in case of doubts,
I know it may sound like blasphemy, but who is Doc? and I beleive he owns a Duke too. Can you point me to his thread.

Quote:
but do remember to read your ownership manual thoroughly. That's your motorcycle's bible. Happy mile munching!
Yeah, just recently got the user manual. There's a lot to read and a lot of important stuff like having the chain cleaned every 500 Km, 7500 RPM cap for the initial 1K Km, etc.

Quote:
Just trying to narrow down the problem: the SOL won't be whistling anywhere under 120kmph if the visor is down fully (even with all those vents!).
Definitely not the SOL. It's an amazing lid. I love it the way it creates an almost tranquil atmosphere within.

Quote:
It eggs you on to push it, no?
Absolutely. Its very hard to not red line it. It burns my rear to see a splendor speed by and I am trundling along at 60ish.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan_nandwani View Post
Absolutely. Its very hard to not red line it. It burns my rear to see a splendor speed by and I am trundling along at 60ish.
And why are you trundling along at 60ish?

Cheers, Doc
Old 31st October 2012, 10:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers, Doc
I believe he is still in the run in period since he has only ridden the bike for 230KM. He does have a few questions regarding the same which he has mentioned in the first post, maybe you could answer them for him?

Also congrats on getting the Duke, and the helmet looks absolutely gorgeous. They look like they're made for each other, heh.

Ride safe.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:00   #12
BHPian

Re: The Hooligan finally arrives on Dussehra - My KTM Duke 200

3. I hear a loud, almost whistle like sound when riding constantly at a low speed in the range of 50 – 60 Kmph

Karan, Get the chain setting done with you sitting on the bike. Trust me, If you are a heavy weight, It makes a big difference.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:07   #13

Quote:

Cheers, Doc
Ah Doc!

I am keeping the RPM to around 6000 which limits me to 70 in 6th. Maybe I am being a little over cautious.

I got a couple of questions for you:

The underside of the engine, towards the front, right after the front under scoop, is greasy. I mean I can feel a layer of oil mixed with dirt getting deposited there. I am being told that this might have been a spill over from some sort of pre delivery oiling etc. I have a feeling that it is an oil leak. I plan to wipe it absolutely clean over the coming weekend and then observe over the next week if the oil layer comes back. Is there anything else I should do?

Also, there have been a few instances of false neutral and a few more instances of mis-shifts. Should I be raising a concern right away or wait for the first service. I am about 650KM away from my first service.

How do you keep your bike shiny? Some sort of wax or polish? Any suggestions?

How do you clean the radiator grill? Also, I saw a few drops of the coolant on the grill and other areas parts. I am being told that it surplus fluid and it drains off. Is that accurate?

The KTM Tankpad costs around 1.5K. I feel its a tad over priced to say the least. I am planning to visit Performance Racing for a couple of things. My question, do other brand tank pads, fit as well? are they the correct size?
Old 31st October 2012, 12:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the awesome ride

Is the price increased ? other colors were available ?

Regarding heat don't worry as the doc said its normal, while in traffic you will feel the heat when fan comes on but on open roads/highway it never comes on.

For the rear view mirror you need to loosen them from the bottom and move them little back. i had same problem with the left side mirror which was fitted towards fuel tank.

I got fork protectors(little round thingy) for 2.2k IIRC, need to check the bill.

No false neutrals on my bike till now, something you need to check in the first service i guess.

For the engine oil, get the bike cleaned and observe for few days, i don't think it should be a issue of leaking oil.
Old 31st October 2012, 13:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

I got fork protectors(little round thingy) for 2.2k IIRC, need to check the bill.
Rahul you have a picture of these on your bike ? ,where did you get them? . Is it worth 2.2 k?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks