Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125

How does a person fall in love ?

There has been no definite answer to that.It just happens. It cannot be analyzed by any logic or broken down into a pros and cons.

This was the feeling I had when I saw this Italian beauty in the workshop...... And a week later a Yellow Vespa Lx125 was standing proudly in my parking lot next to other Italian beauty the Fiat Linea.

After bidding a goodbye to my Avenger, we were in the market for a scooter which could be used by me and my wife for city runs. There are thousands of Activas and Wegos and Aviators moving about in Pune. All of them got perfect grades in economics but none of them clicked the right spots in the mind. And so me and my wife decided to visit a Vespa showroom to check out the LX125. We were offered a short test ride. My wife tested it and quite a few number of times put it on and off the main stand. It was perfect no trouble at all. The booking was done in a 2 days and delivery promised 23th Nov.We took the delivery of the Yellow Vespa LX125 on 26th November. There was a offer of free insurance with it so final cost of the scooter 67000Rs.

Body, Engine ,Transmission and Suspension : The LX125 has a monocoque steel body which seems to the first in the gearless scooters. LX125 has a 125cc 4-stroke , 3 cylinder engine as compared to it's competition say Suzuki Access which has a 125cc 4-stroke, Single cylinder engine.

This translates to 10.06ps v/s 8.5ps and a torque of 10.6 Nm v/s 9.8Nm @5000rpm. The Vespa engine is and feels little powerful. It pulls cleanly from the start with 2 people on-board. I was mightly impressed when I was able to ride it up the ramp in our office with a collegue (and a box of barfi) where we have to downshift to 2 gear in a car. The claimed milage is about 45kmpl but that is a test of time for me since it is too early to tell. I will be happy if practically I get 35-40kmpl out of this.

The transmission is a Continously-variable transmission which is the default in scooters of this category.
Suspension is well sorted out for this scooter and offers a nice damping for bumps and potholes which are in plenty on road. Speeds of 60kmph the ride instill confidence as it does not give a boat-like ride.

The scooter strongest point is the way it can maneuver in the traffic. It can take on every crack and corner of the traffic with ease and so is a definite boon for short errand runs.

The brakes are just sufficient but could do with better brakes, especially at higher speeds. Maybe it is because I am not used to smaller tyres it does take a while to get that "braking confidence" at higher speeds. A disc brake rather than two drums would have been nicer especially at this price point.

A significant thing to note here is the effectiveness of the headlamps. The 35W Halogens really lights up the path very well and do an exceptional job.

Styling and utility:The first thing that catches the eye is the retro styling.Chrome thrown about liberally around the body and Vespa logo put on all sides. The chrome finish mirror with rubber beading looks totally cool. It surely turns heads, on the road. The only thing I did not get was the digital clock. That sticks out like a sore thumb in otherwise a retro dash.All the panels and accessories are well out-together and does not look cheap. There are two storage spaces provided. One under the handle, door to which opens by pushing the key barrel. Second under-the-seat storage. This is good enough for a small handbag or a helmet. So I would deem it sufficient. A bag hook is provided which is pull-out type for extra stowing.

I have had loads of people asking me on petrol pumps and traffic signals "Kitna deti hai". Well there are somethings which cannot be measured in litres of petrol.

The dealership : The only sore point of the affair was the dealer. It's been about 1 month and 1 week now I have not still received my number plate and this is after n-number of calls of blood boiling rage. I would rate the dealership "Moto Italiaa" very low in customer satisfaction.

All and all I would say this experience had ups and downs and at the end of it one ride on this Yellow Beauty and there is a big smile on your face.

Attaching a few pictures of the beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2028.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2030.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2031.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2032.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2035.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2036.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2037.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2039.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2040.jpg  

Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125-img_2043.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2013 at 14:18. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for superior readability
vikrantj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 14:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Love at first sight : Yellow Vespa LX125

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 2-Wheelers Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 5th January 2013, 15:06   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Vikrantj on your Vespa. It definitely stands out of the lot. One of the rare scooters where chrome doesn't look out of place. May she serve you for long along with your other Italian beauty.
Old 5th January 2013, 16:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
LX125 has a 125cc 4-stroke , 3 cylinder engine as compared to it's competition say Suzuki Access which has a 125cc 4-stroke, Single cylinder engine.

This translates to 10.06ps v/s 8.5ps and a torque of 10.6 Nm v/s 9.8Nm @5000rpm.
Firstly congratulations on your new possession. It truly is a beautiful machine.

I would like to correct your above quote sir, without pun intended,

The Vespa has 3 "Valves" in a SINGLE Cylinder unit, it does not have 3 Cylinders.

Enjoy your ride, Cheers !
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 18:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Firstly congratulations on your new possession. It truly is a beautiful machine.

I would like to correct your above quote sir, without pun intended,

The Vespa has 3 "Valves" in a SINGLE Cylinder unit, it does not have 3 Cylinders.

Enjoy your ride, Cheers !
Thanks for the correction. Was a over-sight on my part.
vikrantj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 18:55   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Vespa LX125! Personally I feel that Vespa should give an option for a front mudguard mounted number plate. The registration number on the front body kind of spoils the looks of this excellently designed scooter. Again this is just my personal feeling and it would also depend on rules of the RTO that vary from state to state. Being born and brought up in Hyderabad, I am used to seeing old Vespas, Priyas and Bajajs with front mudguard mounted number plates.

Wishing you many many happy (s)miles on the scooter!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 5th January 2013, 21:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The dealership : The only sore point of the affair was the dealer. It's been about 1 month and 1 week now I have not still received my number plate and this is after n-number of calls of blood boiling rage. I would rate the dealership "Moto Italiaa" very low in customer satisfaction.

All and all I would say this experience had ups and downs and at the end of it one ride on this Yellow Beauty and there is a big smile on your face.
Congrats for this beautiful yellow Vespa LX125.

I loves Italian automobiles, grew up with my father's Lambretta, learned riding in the same 1960 model scooter, which is still with us. When Fiat launched Punto I loved that, thought of buying one. However, looking at their dealership's response and behaviour - stayed away and settled with Ritz. Recently, when Vespa launched LX 125 - it was love at first sight. Went to Thane dealer few days back with cheque leaf to buy a yellow one. However, again walked off because of unprofessional attitude of their dealership. I have mentioned in some other thread - Italians design and make beautiful automobiles, every body adores them but very few take them home. True for Fiat, lets see what happens to Vespa with ...
Old 5th January 2013, 22:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations on acquiring the Italian Art on Motion : Vespa LX 125.
I promise you that your scooter will become so addictive that you wont feel like riding any other 2 Wheeler.
Please get methodical servicing done for your LX 125, as the refinement at the end of the 3rd servicing will put you on cloud nine.
Make sure you wear a helmet, if possible a Vespa-AGV brand sold at the dealer.
Happy and a safe ride !!!
Old 6th January 2013, 07:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Hearty congratulations on acquiring the Italian Art on Motion : Vespa LX 125.
I promise you that your scooter will become so addictive that you wont feel like riding any other 2 Wheeler.
Please get methodical servicing done for your LX 125, as the refinement at the end of the 3rd servicing will put you on cloud nine.
Make sure you wear a helmet, if possible a Vespa-AGV brand sold at the dealer.
Happy and a safe ride !!!
Thanks Hillram. Your ownership review of Vespa proved to be a tipping point in favour of my decision of buying one.
I absoulutely love riding the scooter and yes as you rightly said now other scooter look too commonplace.
Old 6th January 2013, 08:11   #10
rbp
BHPian

I have a doubt, does this scooter Fuel Injection?

This scooter also has DC lighting and helps in night rides.
Old 6th January 2013, 18:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I have a doubt, does this scooter Fuel Injection?
Nope. The LX125 has a carburetor. If it had fuel injection, I think then Vespa India would have highlighted this in their advertising campaign.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 19:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations . What a classy looking thing. Ever since this was launched i have maintained its the best looking scooter in the market . The yellow further gives it that italian flair. Ride safe.
Old 6th January 2013, 20:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

many congrats, the scooter looks fab.

just 1 question though, is it a gearless scooter ???
Old 7th January 2013, 10:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
many congrats, the scooter looks fab.

just 1 question though, is it a gearless scooter ???
Yes it is a gearless scooter with CVT
Old 9th January 2013, 11:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
It's been about 1 month and 1 week now I have not still received my number plate and this is after n-number of calls of blood boiling rage.
And so after a wait of over 1 month 2 weeks I finally got my number. I went to fix the number plate to the scooter. Got the tax receipt and original invoice along with the number plate.

Now a big question : Should I fix the chrome guard around the scooter ? Cost quoted to me is 1200Rs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks