Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:34   #31
BHPian

re: 2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Even if it sounds like a cliche, that 10 hour ride was like two soul-mates getting to know each other all over again not seeing each other for many years.

I am not the rash rider I used to be 7 years ago. Age does bring a lot of wisdom you know. I ride much slower, more sympathetically, and in a way that she stays healthy, and stays for as long as I am here on this planet. !
Your Ride looks like it has just been rolled off the production line.Enjoy the ride man, you have no idea how many people long to have such a superbly Conditioned bike.

Age does Knock some sense into our skulls , especially if you have been in a horrible accident like the one with the ZMA.
Keep Revvin,
Cheers
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thank you saket77 and t3ofil4us for your kind words.

The bike has been running without any issues at all. I had been babying the bike after the rebuild. She is returning around 45 kmpl. Haven't taken her on a long highway ride yet.

The leak which I had reported earlier was probably a few drops of overflow from the carb. It has vanished on its own. I try my best not to take her out in the rains, but was totally caught off-guard in yesterday's evening showers. Had to spend a good hour and a half today morning to clean her up. Keeping her in for the next 2 - 3 days till the skies are bright and shiny again.

Three things pending to be done:
(1) Get mirrors with chrome stalks.
(2) Fix the OE accessory helmet lock (more for the sake of fixing than anything else, since the helmet cannot really be secured in it).
(3) Get the meter repaired. The odometer is not working. I opened up to check and found the plastic gear worn out. One thing we missed during the rebuild.
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:45   #33
BHPian

That is a well done job. Your bike looks amazing. You must be one proud owner.
It remains a dream for me to get my bike to that condition.
I bet you enjoy every bit the bike moves.
You had mentioned something about a place for helmet lock. I could not have missed it on my bike after owning it for the past 15yrs. Can you post a picture here? and hoe does the helmet lock get there?
I hope the bike is stored well and last you a life time. Thanks for sharing.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Visaster, thank you for your appreciation.

For the place where the helmet lock needs to be fixed, look on the chassis just to the right of the 2T oil tank and to the left of the rear LH shock absorber mounting point. There is a hole provided in the chassis.

The early RX100s had this factory fitted. Even now, if you buy an OE key-lock set for the RX100 (not RX135s), you get the helmet lock as part of the kit. Hope this helps.

If you could spend 20 - 25K, you could get any RX to stock condition. 95% of the parts are still available at the old dealers. Let me know if you need help in sourcing any parts at all.
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:29   #35
BHPian

Viju,

one of the well maintained rx 135 I have seen on tbhp ! Viju great ride ! btw, I too own a 135 golden color 03 model. Pretty much inspired to keep it and restore sooner or later seeing your post.

I had once given the bike to my friend, so maybe sometime it was low on 2T oil and ran some distance. So about 40-43k km mileage range (it's run 45k km now) the top portion of head started gets heating with 10km of run. Is this normal.

Anyways that's way back a year or so, have done the re-bore that time, because I always wanted my baby in prestine condition. It was done and engine was smooth, but still the heating remains so. I am not getting that original feel of vehicle when I first drove when it was about 10k km mileage and now after re-bore. The guy was a expert I know who was with Yamaha ASS for say close to 10 years and then started on his own. So I don't doubt any mishaps from his side. That free flow, when you loosen the throttle and just leave the vehicle is missing. Hope you got it. It's very unique for 2 stroke the way it comes to halt from say 50-60 kmph, hope you all got it. That is missing very much. Also the butter smoothness when we throttle it. It's more of a growling sound. To tell you it has Rx 100 chamber instead of cat-con OEM. Always wanted to stick to stock and OEM.

Now I feel I should have rather gone for a new head and everything of that sorts for say 9k there was one for sale in tbhp . Now to the point, how will I get back that pure RX 135 exhliration, fun and smoothness. Maybe since I have not driven other Rx135 of same generation, I have this odd feeling. Or somone else should drive my RX and see how exactly good it is.

I have more information on some threads I have posted while I did the re-bore and this heating issue. Will share that.

Mod's - Feel free to move to right section.

Thanks
prasoon
prsnck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hello Prasoon, thank you for your post.

The overheating (in an air-cooled single cylinder 2 stroke at least) should be the result of a bad rebore job. You could open up the head and see the condition of your bore and piston, if there are any scratches.

My bike has done barely 16000 km since I took it out of the showroom in 2005 (was in storage for 5 years), so haven't gone for a rebore yet. Since you intend to keep the bike with you, why don't you invest in a cylinder-piston kit for the future? It would cost you 8500/- from a dealer. Seeing the general trend with 2 stroke spares, people are going to quote absurd prices in the future, when these parts will become unavailable.

I am pm-ing you my contact details. Let us meet up sometime.

If you could, join in for this weekend's Team BHP meet with you RX.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...alore-292.html

Last edited by Viju : 3rd April 2013 at 11:43. Reason: Adding link.
Old 8th April 2013, 16:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Prasoon, thank you for your post.

The overheating (in an air-cooled single cylinder 2 stroke at least) should be the result of a bad rebore job. You could open up the head and see the condition of your bore and piston, if there are any scratches.

My bike has done barely 16000 km since I took it out of the showroom in 2005 (was in storage for 5 years), so haven't gone for a rebore yet. Since you intend to keep the bike with you, why don't you invest in a cylinder-piston kit for the future? It would cost you 8500/- from a dealer. Seeing the general trend with 2 stroke spares, people are going to quote absurd prices in the future, when these parts will become unavailable.

I am pm-ing you my contact details. Let us meet up sometime.

If you could, join in for this weekend's Team BHP meet with you RX.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...alore-292.html
I missed this one Viju. Just saw it now. Anways there is always next time. Seems you had nice time in meet.

Maybe I should have got a new cylinder kit. I dont suspect that mechanic job, maybe you are correct also regarding perfection of job. This heating was there even before re-bore was done. Since I have already spent close to 8k, I am feeling the pinch to invest suddenly on a new one. Yeah now itslef the prices are huge. Can we still get it from dealer now, I mean Yamaha authorised spares. Will catch up sometime, not this weekend since will be at Kerala.

Then will see what's our course of action.

rgrds
prsn
Old 9th April 2013, 09:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

viju just happened to chance upon this awesome thread of yours,nicely done man. I own a RX135 5 speed which was in storage for sometime since I did a rebuild in 2006. Never had a chance to enjoy the beauty since then coz I was too tied up with a lot of other things in life.

Finally last week it found its way to the garage,undergoing restoration as I type this. A full paint job,conversion to disc brakes and a few other mods too. Glad to have found a fellow owner who thinks nothing can take away the charm of riding a brilliant 2 stroke.

OT : Do you love to pop a wheelie with this ? I simply love to do it .

Quote:
If you could spend 20 - 25K, you could get any RX to stock condition. 95% of the parts are still available at the old dealers. Let me know if you need help in sourcing any parts at all.
25k by a long shot I must say. Spare Part dealers here in Bangalore quote atrocious prices and I ended up buying most spares from Mysore. Damn the whole of my weekend was spent on 100Ft road in Mysore scouting for parts.
Finding the UCAL(VM24) Mikuni carb was a herculean task in itself. The RX135's originally came with the OEM piston kits from "Art" Japan,once again no luck in sourcing these. Had to source the speedo console from the CRUX , I hated the RX135's speedo console always.

The disc brake kit from the RXZ has virtually gone extinct with no stocks anywhere. Definitely can relate to what you must have gone through trying to source parts and then restoring it to its divine originality.

Ride safe mate.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 02:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Finding the UCAL(VM24) Mikuni carb was a herculean task in itself.
You mean 5 speed 135 carb? Just that you might be aware, it's VM22 (Oval slide) manufactured by UCAL in colaboration with Mikuni. 4 speed 135 came with Mikuni VM22(Japan) was a round slide.
SriramEfunds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 07:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
You mean 5 speed 135 carb? Just that you might be aware, it's VM22 (Oval slide) manufactured by UCAL in colaboration with Mikuni. 4 speed 135 came with Mikuni VM22(Japan) was a round slide.
Sriram I am pretty sure they arent the same for the 4 speed and the 5 speed. You are right the VM carbs are manufactured by Mikuni and they are 22mm.

From what I have known the VM24 and VM26 were available in south east asia. These are a direct fit into our indian RX135's, at-least my mech confirmed this and can be done with minor jetting changes. Actually have seen 5 speeds running with the VM24's and hence brought it up here.

Either ways we are doing a VM24 on my bike, so I can confirm that the VM24 is a direct fit.

Lets not hijack this thread, I will put up my thread in a few days time with all details and we will discuss it there.
Old 10th April 2013, 08:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I own a RX135 5 speed which was in storage for sometime since I did a rebuild in 2006.
Hello Robin, thank you for your post!

Glad to know that you are finally restoring your 5 speed. What colour is she? Maroon or Black? (I used to have a maroon 5 speeder while in Gurgaon, but I sold her off like a fool) I totally agree that parts are difficult to procure and those who have them, ask the moon for them!

I think the situation is the worst here in Bangalore. I was able to source 99% of the parts through my parts guy in Cochin. Everything except the carburetor and cylinder head can still be ordered from the company. But it takes time as they are almost always on back order and your dealer / spares guy may have to repeat the order for 3 or 4 times before one part arrives. Most spares guys don't bother doing this since they have to pay upfront and their cash gets blocked ordering such parts.

If you need any parts, let me know. I am going to Kerala this weekend and may be able to bring you something if you need urgently. Cylinder-piston kits are very much available, and my parts guy has more than one which he will gladly sell for MRP - 8500/-. Someone in Bangalore asked me 13000/- for a 5 speed cylinder kit!

I checked with someone after seeing an ad online. Had asked him for the 4 speed crank assy and carb. He said he can 'arrange' both, but carb for 6100/- (MRP 3700/-) and crank assy for 7500/- (MRP 3500/-). I thought I will be a bit more patient since I am already on the verge of bankruptcy restoring my '84 RD350.

Where are you restoring your RX? If you have time, let us meet up during one of the weekends. I can bring along my RX.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Robin, thank you for your post!
Errr who ....

Quote:
Glad to know that you are finally restoring your 5 speed. What colour is she? Maroon or Black? (I used to have a maroon 5 speeder while in Gurgaon, but I sold her off like a fool) I totally agree that parts are difficult to procure and those who have them, ask the moon for them!
I think the situation is the worst here in Bangalore. I was able to source 99% of the parts through my parts guy in Cochin. Everything except the carburetor and cylinder head can still be ordered from the company. But it takes time as they are almost always on back order and your dealer / spares guy may have to repeat the order for 3 or 4 times before one part arrives. Most spares guys don't bother doing this since they have to pay upfront and their cash gets blocked ordering such parts.
It's a maroon one and heck my dad was on the verge of selling it off without my knowledge. I had left it at my parents place since my younger brother was using it. About 2 months back I was appalled to see the condition of the bike.
Couldn't believe my eyes that this was the very same bike I had painstakingly restored and refused to part with 3 years back.

Regarding the parts, bangalore is an atrocious place to buy parts. Even the rear mudguard comes at a premium,every dealer sings the same chorus " Saar stock illa ".

I keep going to Mysore pretty often and decided last weekend that I had enough in Bangalore and found most of the spares in Mysore.
Took me just 3 hours to find mandap rims, tires, crux cluster, the T head and a whole lot of other spares which were being sold at a premium in Bangalore. I am done sourcing most of the parts except for the battery. I was thinking of doing a 90/100 kit , that again came as a surprise. Coil winding costs a bomb these days, decided to not get it done.

You would be surprised to know the price of the original Yam bore kit. Retails at 18k , yes you read it right 18k is what the demand is.

Quote:
Where are you restoring your RX? If you have time, let us meet up during one of the weekends. I can bring along my RX.
It's been done up at a garage on New BEL Road, near MS Ramaiah College. He has been my mech for the last 15 years so the obvious choice. We sure will catch up some day soon as soon the bike rolls out of the garage.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rjstyles69;3090653]Errr who ....QUOTE]

Oops, my bad! I think I mistook you for someone else!
What's your actual name if you don't mind?

The bore kits were out of production from 2010 - 2012. Hence everyone started charging a bomb for it. But right now, they are very much in production and available from Yamaha.

My bike has done barely 16,000 km since it rolled out of the showroom. But still, once I was done with my restoration, I bought and kept a 4 speed cylinder-piston kit aside for future use. At 8500/- though. Will be buying a 5 speed kit also this time when I go home. Who knows when it will be required!

Last edited by Viju : 10th April 2013 at 09:59.
Old 4th May 2013, 17:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Finally dug out the 10 year old helmet lock and fitted it on the bike.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130504_165820.png
Views: 9365
Size:  499.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130504_165834.png
Views: 7575
Size:  421.5 KB
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 22:37   #45
BHPian

Viju:- Can you tell me if the tank you got on your bike is brand new or was painted and stickered later? Why I'm asking this is that, I got 135 due for restoration as its approaching the FC (Fitness Certification). The tank came along with the bike got rusted near the seat and was leaking 4 years ago, so changed it. But only to have RX100 (Golden thin lines) stickered as the RX135 tank (Bold golden stickered) were not available and the same case with the side shields too as you can see the avatar pic.

I'm not getting RX135 stickered tank anywhere nor the side sheilds, so decided to get the existing tank repainted but then it boiled down to the similar situation, if we could get the OE sticker set. Why OE sticker set is that, I have heard the non-OE stickers fade out thin in due course of time. Fearing the outcome of the alternative, going through some real war inside my head.

When I restored my RX100 last year, had pampered her with all brand new parts except the frame and center case (for chasis&engine#). Moreover, finding RX100 spares were relatively easy but with RX135, though there are some similarity between the series, but the unique parts were hard to come and one of them is RX135 tank and side shields!

EDIT:- Wonderful find Viju. Even I got helmet lock in my RX100 with metal keys. They are no longer available.

Last edited by SriramEfunds : 6th May 2013 at 22:42. Reason: EDIT:- For commenting on the latest post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks