Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 23:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Viju:- Can you tell me if the tank you got on your bike is brand new or was painted
Dear Sriram

What you see on my bike is a brand new RX135 4 speed tank which came like this from Yamaha. They are still available, and Yamaha still makes them. I bought it in November 2012 for approximately 3000/- (MRP 29xx/-). If you need one, I can try and get one for you from my hometown at MRP.

Side shields unfortunately come only in RX100 part number, which means plain black / maroon. Even the stickers on my side covers are non-OE. I hope they last, but I am sure it's impossible to find OE stickers from Yamaha.

Good to know you have both the 100 and the 135! I wish to have an RXZ 5 Speed also someday, and already started collecting spares for a restoration. But seeing the prices at which these bikes go now, I wonder if I will ever be able to get one!

Cheers!
Old 7th May 2013, 02:04   #47
BHPian

re: 2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Dear Sriram

What you see on my bike is a brand new RX135 4 speed tank which came like this from Yamaha. They are still available, and Yamaha still makes them. I bought it in November 2012 for approximately 3000/- (MRP 29xx/-). If you need one, I can try and get one for you from my hometown at MRP.

Side shields unfortunately come only in RX100 part number, which means plain black / maroon. Even the stickers on my side covers are non-OE. I hope they last, but I am sure it's impossible to find OE stickers from Yamaha.

Good to know you have both the 100 and the 135! I wish to have an RXZ 5 Speed also someday, and already started collecting spares for a restoration. But seeing the prices at which these bikes go now, I wonder if I will ever be able to get one!

Cheers!
Thanks for your offer Viju. Let me get back on this shortly. Also, did you randomly bought the sticker kit from market or you have any particular brand/make that you went after?

Even I'm dreaming about rebuilding the RXZ, however, it is a long long journey if thought practically.
Old 7th May 2013, 08:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Dear Sriram

There was really no choice when it came to the stickers. There is some particular brand (sorry, can't remember the name, but if I remember right, they are made somewhere in Delhi-NCR) which all the local shops stock. It looked good enough to me (the only other choice being the local sticker shop guy who would gladly cut it).

Cheers!
Old 7th May 2013, 14:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish to have an RXZ 5 Speed also someday, and already started collecting spares for a restoration.
Cheers!
Hey Viju,
Let me know if you are serious about having a RXZ 135, there is one particular bike within my closed circle which is still in its original blue shade with the disc brake setup. The Bike has recently been rebored to its first oversize and has all the original stuff. Literally fill it and ride...no work required.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey Viju,
Let me know if you are serious about having a RXZ 135, there is one particular bike within my closed circle which is still in its original blue shade with the disc brake setup. The Bike has recently been rebored to its first oversize and has all the original stuff. Literally fill it and ride...no work required.
Hi Mahesh

That sounds like a really good machine. But having seen the prices in Bangalore, I really doubt I can afford it. But do PM me quoted the price please.

I am serious about having an RXZ. But since I have my hands full (and pockets empty) with the RD restoration right now, I just thought I will be patient and get one a bit later.

Thanks in advance!
Old 7th May 2013, 23:21   #51
SMK
BHPian

Hi Viju,

Finally I am done with restoring my YAM'99 RX135. Thanks for the messages and thanks for your thread, I was inspired to restore/rebuild mine Don't want to start off a new thread, since basically my love for the RX is similar to yours.

Sharing few pics of pre restoration, the process and post restoration

Thanks!
Sharash
Attached Thumbnails
2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imag0217.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imag0218.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imag0220.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imag0222.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imag0224.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imag0225.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imag0211.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-yam1.jpg  

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-yam2.jpg  

SMK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 07:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Hi Viju,

Sharing few pics of pre restoration, the process and post restoration

Thanks!
Sharash
Wow, that is an awesome transformation Sharash! Looks brand new!

I am really happy to see another RX get back to mint condition! Now, when do we ride together?

Share more details about the restoration. What all mechanical work did you do? What piston size is it running? You did painting / plating or replaced the parts? How big a hole did it burn in your pocket? (not that it's going to stop us)!

Congratulations again!

Now, you just need to take care of her really well so that she stays in this shape for as long as she can. That is the most important thing! Don't neglect her ever again.

Cheers!
Old 8th May 2013, 08:40   #53
SMK
BHPian

Thanks Viju, She is a 99 born, restored now baby.

Yup, we sure will ride together someday

Mechanical Work:Re bored, Upsized the piston(not sure of the size though), Clutch plates replaced.
Painting: Engine Covers, Chassis, Wheel hubs, Chain Cover(Yes!! thts all). Every part is brand new bought from the Yamaha Showroom.
Cost: Bombed my pockets, 32k inclusive of parts, restoration work and painting. The RX Thump, The look on people's faces, The nostalgia, The biggg Grin on my face - Priceless!
Ya, I am packing the bike inside my home for the rainy season. She will come out only when there is sun, hehehe!

Thanks to your thread mate, she is alive and kickin some butt

Also, could you send me a pic of how u got the darn helmet lock fixed? I have the lock, do not know how or where to get that fixed though.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Also, could you send me a pic of how u got the darn helmet lock fixed? I have the lock, do not know how or where to get that fixed though.
There you go!

There are 3 holes in the frame - 2 small ones for locating the lock (the lock has 2 matching studs) and a bigger one in the centre for the screw.
Attached Thumbnails
2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-helmet_lock.jpg  

Old 4th September 2015, 14:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

It has been ten years since I rolled 2T out of the Yamaha showroom. I have not been lucky to ride her around a lot as I relocated to different places far away from home during those years. But I am glad I bought her then, since it was my last chance to own a 2 stroke from new.

The bike being stored in Cochin, there is always the fear of corrosion affecting the metal parts at the back of my mind, no matter how well I have coated all the shiny bits.

I can't wait to get home, give her a quick service, a loving polish and enjoy the simple pleasure of riding around on a light, nimble and old-school two stroke.

She was the fifth ever motorcycle I owned, and thirteen more came after her. They all went, for one reason or the other. But no matter what turns life takes, 2T will not leave my possession till my last breath. If my kids don't want her, may be I will take her to the grave! Who knows!
Attached Thumbnails
2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-.jpg  

Last edited by Viju : 4th September 2015 at 14:48. Reason: Typo error
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Those who know their RX series well, will see that I have personalized my 2T in multiple ways. During my next trip to Cochin, I intend to reverse all these and take the bike back to bone stock condition, as a 2005 RX135 came out of the factory.
  1. The tank had the same twin lines as the RX100 series. The side panels were plain black.
  2. The exhaust was a mini catalytic converter silencer (thin catcon with separate chrome bend-pipe). The right side rear foot-rest bracket was also different due to this reason.
  3. There were no amber reflectors on the underside of the fuel tank.
  4. The headlight stays were black (and not chrome).
  5. The mirror stalks were black (and not chrome).
  6. The front number plate had black colour on either side of the YAMAHA emblem.
  7. The front brake and clutch lever rubber boots were of the plain type and not the spring type boots (RX100 type) that I have fixed now.

I also need to do a complete service as the bike would have been sitting idle for a year till my next trip.
  1. Replace all fluids (2T oil, transmission oil, front fork oil, fuel)
  2. Tension check and lubrication of drive chain and all other pivot points.
  3. Clean entire fuel system (tank, lines, carburettor)
  4. Clean spark plug and adjust gap to specification
  5. Clean and oil the air filter element
  6. Tyre pressures
  7. Carburettor tuning for correct A:F ratio and idling speed
  8. Decarbonising the cylinder head, piston and exhaust
  9. Fix a new battery
  10. Get a pollution check done and buy insurance for the coming year
  11. Wash, wax and lots of polish

I intend to use this thread to track the upkeep of my 2T.

And why now go back to bone-stock condition after 10 years of ownership? Well, all my custom touches will go on to another ride - incoming, soon... along with a new ownership thread, along with a back-to-nut-and-bolt rebuild story. Cannot wait.
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
And why now go back to bone-stock condition after 10 years of ownership? Well, all my custom touches will go on to another ride - incoming, soon... along with a new ownership thread, along with a back-to-nut-and-bolt rebuild story. Cannot wait.

That's one awesome looking machine. Even I own a 98 Yamaha 135. Have undergone multiple avatars over the years. 1 cosmetic rebuild as I did not have the money for the engine over haul. 2nd was a total rebuild when I had the money but over paid for everything and ended up paying 40K for the rebuild. Chennai is a ridiculous place.

Anyways I ride it once or twice a week short distance. Presently needs tank and side shield which is a nightmare to find. Time is my biggest enemy cause i never see the sun outside my campus.

I have an exhaustive list of custom work done on the bike from CBZ headlight to twin lights, clipons.

Presently it sports black engine, chain guard, handle.

Its becoming a tough job keeping it up. The damn chrome is all rusted and needs to be again changes. Looking to completely do away with chrome. Wheels and silencer left.
Attached Thumbnails
2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-20131006_122929.jpg  

Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
That's one awesome looking machine. Even I own a 98 Yamaha 135.

Its becoming a tough job keeping it up. The damn chrome is all rusted and needs to be again changes. Looking to completely do away with chrome. Wheels and silencer left.
Happy to meet another RX135 rider, Visaster!

RX series of bikes are actually very low on maintenance if you just do the routine engine oil changes, filter and plug cleaning every few thousand kms.

I can imagine your issue with rusting in Chennai. Even in Cochin, I have to fight against it all the time. I would suggest getting the rims powder coated and the silencer painted in heat-resistant paint. If not, the paint will start peeling off soon.

Luckily for us, Yamaha still supplies all the major parts to keep the bike running. I believe they still supply the tank and side panels with the RX100 gold lines. You can get a set and apply the 135 decals.

Last edited by Viju : 2nd October 2015 at 13:48. Reason: Typo
Old 7th October 2015, 11:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

It is time to add an update to this thread.

2T has just received a garage-mate in the form of a 2001 RX135 4 speed. *yet to be christened*

This is bike #19 (and 2 stroke #15) which has come into my life in almost 17 years of riding. Hope I get to keep her for many years.

It is a one-owner bike, belongs to my close friend and senior from high-school who lives within half a km radius of my home. She comes with clean documents till the end of 2016, purchase invoice from the local Yamaha dealer in Cochin and the owner's manual.

The bike is obviously not in the best of states, but fortunately, she has not been restored or modified in the past.
As per the owner, the bike runs without any issues, but the engine is noisy.

I have not seen the bike in person, and hope to do so during my next vacation.

After selling off three of my bikes - RD350, RXZ 5 speed and Shogun - a year ago due to relocation, there is a specific reason why I bought this one. This bike, unlike all my previous builds, will not be restored to factory specifications. The intention is to build a bike which is a bit more fun-to-ride than my 2T, with whatever little I have learnt about 2 strokes till now.

I have a rough plan in my mind which I am refining with the help of more knowledgeable friends. The execution will take a lot of time and effort.

I wish to finish the build within my three week holidays at the end of this year, but there is every probability it will get shifted by another year, to my next vacation, as other priorities involving family and friends must come first. I will start a thread once I have completed the build.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-20151001.jpg  

Last edited by Viju : 7th October 2015 at 11:11.
Old 18th January 2016, 13:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

2T - My Yamaha RX135. Update: Another RX joins-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453103793.420258.jpg

As I had feared, I ran out of year-end holidays before I could do anything significant with the bike. All I could spare for the bike was a day and this is all I managed.

I hope to start a thread on the bike whenever I get down to the actual rebuild. Almost everything needs replacement - side panels are broken, tank has multiple dents, seat-base is rusted through and the foam is rotten, all the chrome has rust and the engine ran hopelessly - the crank was shot and the piston slapped away merrily. Oh, and every single fluid leaked. Only relief is, I am not looking to use any of the original parts from the bike except the chassis and crank-case.

I managed to procure most of the parts required for the rebuild from my local spare parts dealer. Also got a few after-market parts I needed, thanks to my brother-in-law who had come down from the U.S.

I have not been able to source any of the engine or chassis related spares yet as I have more critical personal expenses coming up in the next few months. Moreover, since I am looking at non-stock parts, sourcing them is going to be a bit time-consuming and heavy on the wallet. Still I hope to see this build completed by the end of this year.

For now, the entire heap of parts has been stored carefully at home.

Long distance relationships are indeed tough. Sigh.

Last edited by Viju : 18th January 2016 at 13:53.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed