Team-BHP - The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/131891-saddle-tail-bag-review-thread.html)

Disclaimer - Like every other review of mine, this is 100% unbiased review that has been written at free will.

This review is divided into 10 sections...
  1. My experience with Cramster Colt saddle bag
  2. My experience with Nelsonrigg Spirit 30 tail bag
  3. Viaterra Claw first impressions
  4. Pseduo testing the Claw
  5. Semi testing the Claw
  6. Stuffing the Claw
  7. Loading on to the motorcycle
  8. Test ride experience with Viaterra Claw
  9. Post riding observations
  10. Summary

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472741.jpg

During Sep 2011, I made an super dooper, unplanned, disorganized & hurried solo trip to RJ. I didn't know (or rather have) much options to buy a motorcycle luggage & I had to settle for Cramster Colt. At that point, no one knew whether Cramster Colt fits perfect to CBR 250R or would touch the exhaust. So I went ahead & made the purchase after a quick check. For Rs 2400, the bag accommodated 12 days clothing, chain lube & cleaner, some waste cloths, toiletries, bike docos, Canon S5IS, slippers, additional pair of gloves, 2 water bottles, 2 screw drivers, 2 pliers & insulation tape To carry mobile, laptop & charger, I used my Swiss gear backpack tied down to the rear seat using 2 bungee chord. Half the time I had to mount the Colt between the front & rear split seats to make sure always that Colt's underneath was saved from exhaust. Needless to say that entire trip was pain in the A

After experiencing with 3 other motorcycle luggage, it's quite interesting to look back & see what I got for what I paid

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472751.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472761.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472771.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472781.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472801.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472811.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472821.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472831.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472841.jpg

So after 12 days on road, finally when coming to Chennai, the COLT bag started touching the exhaust which happened without my knowledge & made a burn hole in the bottom of the COLT. Thankfully nothing else happened nor I lost anything. My Wife gave a nice smile & took away the bag to dump old cloths. I'm quite happy on that part because she didn't ask me the cost of the saddle bag
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1791_zps3b4f098f.jpg

Thus my COLT was short lived & I'd enough with the saddle bags & started for hunting for no more Indian makes & a tail bag combo

Nelson-Rigg.

With a little experience I'd with saddle bag, I was determined to buy a tail bag where I'm absolutely sure there will be no issues with bag getting burnt. So I settled for NelsonRigg Spirit 30 that provides 30 litres of storage space. I did several trips & it is one of the good tail bag (why not excellent, will explain in short while), say about 4 long trips before it almost gave up. I still love it barring for one reason that it doesn't have pockets or zippers outside. This tail bag also taught me few valuable lessons... - How to compress & pack large quantities - How to carry less & carry sufficient things That made me to realize that I really don't need to carry my entire world & now I'm little confident that even for a 15-20 day road trip, I don't need more than 35 liter of space Let the pics flow...

Nelsonrigg was simple straight forward tailbag; simple box where you could dump stuff. Sometimes simplicity is best

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1472851.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147286.jpg

Had a strong velcro in addition to two strong YKK zippers

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147287.jpg

A good handle to carry around & doesn't look like a motorcycle tail bag

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147288.jpg

The underneath was built with very friction material to bind to seat strong; what didn't impress me much was that, it has 4 straps to bind to the motorcycle. This wasn't so comfortable as it was shown in Youtube videos, may be on my CBR 250R. I also had to buy extra straps for $29.99 which I conveniently didn't.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147289.jpg

Sturdy construction & retains the shape no matter what...

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147290.jpg

Finally I did a great Indian juggad by fitting plastic D-clips & that was way too convenient. This bag helped me to carry out several trips with just 2 flip side... 1. The stitches weren't strong enough for the bag to be stuffed. After about 3-4 trips, the stitch gave up once & I'd to fix it with a cobbler at Mumbai 2. 30 liters wasn't just sufficient for a week's trip. I realized I need about 40 liters & may be it was sufficient was 2-3 days trip All the more, the extra length of strap that I tied gave up while returning back & the tire just wore up the strap & one of the Dclip gave up.

That is when I started looking for another bag; I was preparing myself to buy one from Dirtsack or Rynox; but both of them were saddlebags & not tail bags. I was very well aware about RJay's tail bag, but then, it was way too expensive. I was even contemplating to get one imported as well, that was the time Viaterra was showcasing their Claw or what I like to call a Taddle bag all over & thought why not give a try, plus, their 15 day return policy sounded quite interesting as well.

ViaTerra.

I'd ordered a bag on 19-Jan & it left the warehouse on the same day; there're very few online stores that accept CC payments in this country & Viaterra is one of them, consider me lucky. Both I & Viaterra kept tracking the shipment everyday; we found the package reached my locality on 21-Jan, the lazy bumbs at DTDC delivered to me only on 24-Jan. Absolutely great packing - 5/5

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147291.jpg

Comes with a free rain cover that is seamless construction - 5/5
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147292.jpg

This is what I found on the interior pocket, but then on one open & close, no apprehension, things are fine. And mind you, this was with just only one zipper, all others were intact - 4/5

This is the inner pocket, likewise there's another pocket at the exterior, just behind this one as big as this one, probably to place bike documents etc
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147293.jpg

The front side, or the side that rider rests upon, when mounted
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147294.jpg

The rear side, or the side that is visible to others, when mounted. Notice the long strap that comes like the one in any duffle bag, that allows us easy to carry anywhere without having to look like a motorcycle tail bag
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147295.jpg

Underneath, that sits on the rear seat
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147296.jpg

Material quality, I'd say it's same or better than Nelsonrigg & would be insulting to compare with Colt
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147297.jpg

Comes with a YKK zipper
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147298.jpg

I believe it's way too easy to load; though Colt is widthy, but need to get used up to loading. I think this one is damn easy as Nelsonrigg; one thing to notice is that the stitches inside are invisible + the stitches on straps are made invisible. I think Viaterra has two layers of construction for the main compartment, because the one you see below is very spongy. Now this means, I can probably have my camera lens unscratched if the lens cover opens up. The stitches at the bottom (where the straps should be stitched for mounting) are totally invisible. Even Nelsonrigg has them visible. This means, the length of the Colt is the width of Claw; this is just for the folks who have used Colt to help them understand the size of Claw.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1811.jpg

This was another defect in addition to the above zipper on both the sides of the strap that is tied to rear footrest (we'll get to that shortly); but I suppose this hardly matters because, this is the velco part that help the additional length of strap from hanging or tying up else where. Since there isn't any weight associated, I think I can live with it
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147300.jpg

Also notice the slight difference in the sides marked 1 & 2; this is the side that comes right behind the rider. Again, I think it hardly matters
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147301.jpg

And this is the outside that will be visible to others; notice how reflective the materials are
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147302.jpg

Though this is a tail bag, there're 2 clips, just like the clips provided on saddle bag like Colt. This also comes in handy if the zipper is broken or when things are too much to accommodate (for people who like to carry their house hehe) to simply pack tight & not using the zipper.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147303.jpg

This is one of the best part where the corner of the CLAW has plastic support; TWO thumbs up!!!
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147304.jpg

Marked below 1 to 6 are the places where the plastic tube shown above appears including the other side making it totally 12 of them. A & B (also appears the other side) are two additional loops, which I don't know for what they're provided. May be for fastening with a bungee chord...if at all the straps give up...MAY BE???
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147305.jpg

The best are these... Left side is 1.5 liter bottle & right side is 1 liter bottle. I'm more than confident it can hold 2 X 2 liter bottles comfortably, that too on both sides. This means, I can actually carry 4 X 2 liters of water on both sides!!! That is 8 liters of water!!!
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147306.jpg

So I thought of testing something else...especially with this...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147307.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147308.jpg

Along with this bag, I never got instruction as how to mount the bag; however, Viaterra provided me a LIVE SUPPORT through phone as how the bag is to be mounted on my CBR 250R - 5/5

So let me share as how... This is the side that is right behind the rider that has two straps each one to be fastened to the rear footpeg & tightened through the DClips. 1 goes to right side rear foot peg & 2 to the left. Now that secures the bag from moving from left & right
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147309.jpg

The best part is this one; this is the part visible to the others, and has only one strap instead of 2 (in Nelsonrigg). Here the strap from 2 has to be fastened to the tail of the bike & to be fastened to the DClip as provided at #1. I was skeptical as how the bag would hold & boom!!! What an idea Sirjee??? The bag simply didn't move a MILLIMETER!!! Now, I've only tested with an empty bag & just pulled the bike from side stand just by pulling the CLAW & there was absolutely no issues or whatsoever. I think this is far better than Nelsonrigg's 4 mount strap system
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147310.jpg

So, how long does it take to mount the bag? This is what I found; I remember it takes nearly the same time or little more to mount my Nelsonrigg with that Indian juggad
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1771.jpg

and to unmount, easy piece of work...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1770.jpg

Was free for sometime on 29-Jan evening, thought why not test Claw with things that I would carry for a 7 day road trip?

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147311.jpg

Will Viaterra Claw hold all these? Even if it did, will it hold it as one? Even if it held as one, will the straps stay strong? Even if it stayed strong, will it be mounted on the motorcycle as it has to? Will the strap stay in one place? Will the Claw keep moving with all these weight?

So, when it comes to fitting, no doubt, the 55 liters accommodated things quite easily; the 15" laptop including it's charger & a mouse was simply fantastic clap:

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147312.jpg

But here comes the biggest surprise & I think we're about to break the myth of carrying water; I had 2 X 1.5 liter bottle and 2 X 1 liter bottle making it totally 5 liters. I initially thought CLAW could easily accommodate 4 X 1.5 liter = 6 liters or even 4 X 2 liter = 8 liters. But most things reveal only upon actual testing. This is what I found...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147313.jpg

This means...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147314.jpg

So Claw, when loaded (not to brim) might accommodate about 4 X 1 liter or lesser bottles. Anyway, I didn't have 4 X 1 liters of bottle to test; so I continued by using only one 1.5 liter bottle..
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147315.jpg

But the 2 X 1 liter bottle side held very well
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1834_zpse0e70550.jpg

Again, I'm not saying Claw cannot accommodate 1.5 liter bottles when fully loaded, but, for sure some rearrangements or careful packing needs to be done. As for me, I was only testing & hence didn't pay much attention to detail when it came to packing & loading things. I believe, I can dump things & just ride away

Some ground realities on the shape of the bag after loading...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147316.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147317.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147318.jpg

However, let's continue the test by loading on to the motorcycle...

The right side
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147319.jpg

The left side
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147320.jpg

The rear side...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147321.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147322.jpg

Let's see how much time did we take to load the taddle bag & fasten it...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147323.jpg
Good timing clap:

Let's put the rain cover...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147324.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147325.jpg

and how much time did we take for the rain cover?
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147326.jpg

Now let's see some measurements... Here the scale is mounted on to the rider's seat; the scale is down by few inches than the taddle bag
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147327.jpg

Here the scale is mounted to the rear seat; the scale & the taddle bag are on the same level
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147328.jpg

The test isn't completed without a ride; I rode through some real bad roads (and semi trail roads) swiftly (sometimes by standing on foot pegs too) & some good roads for over 1.8 + 1.9 = 3.7 Km precise & here're my observations...

Here's the way I changed the strap & see how loose it got on the right side...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147329.jpg

The left side was intact
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147330.jpg

Let's see how long it takes to unmount the taddle bag from the bike...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147331.jpg

Let's see how the 1.5 liter bottle accommodated after the ride...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147332.jpg

And how did the 2 X 1 liter bottles keep up?
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-147333.jpg

What could have been better

What impressed me

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent thread Ganesh. Very detailed review and covers the small but significant details such as stitch quality, etc. very well.clap:

This will serve as a guide to bikers who want a well tested and reviewed product before buying.

Thanks for the great and detailed review!

Just one thing, aren't there different Cramster sattle bags for bikes with straight exhausts and up-swept exhausts? I'm not sure any saddle bag (Indian or foreign) would last very long if it constantly rubs up against a hot exhaust.

I'm sure the other 2 saddle bags you reviewed are of significantly better quality, but just want to mention that I've used the Cramster Colts for 6 years now, it's been on my Bullet to places like Ladakh and Kutch and several other destinations in between and it's done ok. (Not boosting Cramster or anything, I am in no way affiliated with them.)

Just thought I'd mention my own personal experience for the benefit of those like me, with more limited budgets for saddle bags.

Ganesh,
Very good thread on the motorcycle luggage. With the Viaterra does it become cumbersome to get onboard the bike and get it off as it measures a good 20 CM tall and add on the elevation of rear seat compared to the front seat

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 3029210)
aren't there different Cramster sattle bags for bikes with straight exhausts and up-swept exhausts?

Yes Stallion; I bought for my Rx & the exhaust burnt Stallion's saddle bag & the plastic under the saddlebag when returning from Tristate G2G held at Munnar during Mar 2011. Probably, if I'm little careful enough to pack (not like stuffing things & packing) then crapster...sorry...cramster might hold. Unfortunately that doesn't work with me, especially when I'm returning from any trip. I'm 10 times cautious when starting a trip, but the last day I'm all excited to return home & dump things & that probably might be the reason.

All said...I've moved away from saddlebags for good; after using a tail bag & learnt to travel light, I'm all in love with tail bags & tail bags only.

Quote:

I'm not sure any saddle bag (Indian or foreign) would last very long if it constantly rubs up against a hot exhaust

May be...
http://www.dirtsack.in/index.php/dir...product_view/4
http://www.rjays.com.au/home/product...-panniers.html

Quote:

I'm sure the other 2 saddle bags...those like me, with more limited budgets for saddle bags.

Ofcourse, like you've used 6 years, this is my experience in last 3 years; as a matter of fact, Crapster's MX3 gloves lasted less than 6 months, while DSG Revive has lasted close to 41000 on my CBR & another 6K on my Rx & it's going to be close to 2 years now. Except their products, all other products worked well for me. This is MY experience :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ku69rd (Post 3029227)
With the Viaterra does it become cumbersome to get onboard the bike and get it off as it measures a good 20 CM tall and add on the elevation of rear seat compared to the front seat

Personally to me NO; for other's I'm not the best person to comment. Someone asked me the same question before & that prompted me to measure & add it up as part of the review. Nelsonrigg was even taller & I used alternate ways to get on the motorcycle. So, I really don't care much about the height of Claw, I put up the measurement with a scale just to help out guys to get an idea.