Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 11:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Pulsar 180 - Unpredictably rough <-> smooth engine behaviour

My 2 Paise:

1. You first need to get the workshop repair manual.

2. Get basic tools like compression tester, screw
gauge, vernier , bore gauge , multimeter etc.

3. Get your hands dirty by checking and eliminating possible suspects.

4. Repeat setps 1 to 4 untill you understand the problem and get the problem fixed.

Alternatively,

1. Give the machine to mech.
2. Believe what he says.
3. Spend money.
4. Get bike back on road to face more problems.
5. Repeat steps 1 to 5 untill you give up.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 11:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
3. Get your hands dirty by checking and eliminating possible suspects.
Could also post queries/specific issues on good forums like TBhp and get specific suggestions and learn from helpful people, like I just did!

There is certainly satisfaction to be derived from working on a bike yourself, but for people like me, I'm done with that phase. More power to 'the real bikers - you guys rock'.

I'd rather spend whatever time I can spare on the bike than under it!

Last edited by am1m : 30th April 2019 at 11:26.
Old 30th April 2019, 14:57   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Well, the exhaust tip on my bike is bone dry. I wonder where all the oil goes!

I do not know if the valve stem oil seals were changed or not when the head was overhauled twice as part of the bore and piston kit replacement. If it is a SOP then the mechanic might have done it. I am not sure though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Ditto here, checked yesterday and this morning after riding. So bike is not polluting unnecessarily I guess. That's a relief!

Haha, that describes it perfectly (and I have an RE too along with the leaky Pulsar).

But still a bit odd this increased oil consumption thing on engines at 50k km. Would be good to find out more.
I'm yet to reach 50k on the P220 hence cant comment on excessive oil loss, but right from around 10k km's on the odo, oil drops have been consistent on my P220 at about 300ml'ish per 2k km's which is irrespective of whether I fill 1L or 1.15L or 1.2L. Mine recommended being 1.15L due to oil cooler being present, other than that the rest of the motor is common with the minor exception of crank/cylinder on the P150/180/200/220 models.

Commonsense dictates that valve stem oil seals and other gaskets should be changed, but then we live in India hence it would't hurt to insist.

BTW Personally I've experienced accelerated oil depletion when running on Motul's, thought it was an isolated issue but a bit of asking around and I've been told that the issue is common even among Pulsar users in Indonesia and Singapore.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 15:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I'm yet to reach 50k on the P220 hence cant comment on excessive oil loss, but right from around 10k km's on the odo, oil drops have been consistent on my P220 at about 300ml'ish per 2k km's which is irrespective of whether I fill 1L or 1.15L or 1.2L. Mine recommended being 1.15L due to oil cooler being present, other than that the rest of the motor is common with the minor exception of crank/cylinder on the P150/180/200/220 models.

Commonsense dictates that valve stem oil seals and other gaskets should be changed, but then we live in India hence it would't hurt to insist.

BTW Personally I've experienced accelerated oil depletion when running on Motul's, thought it was an isolated issue but a bit of asking around and I've been told that the issue is common even among Pulsar users in Indonesia and Singapore.

Cheers,
A.P.
I have same experience . I have observed oil consumption when the bike was around 12K mark. I started using 300V around 6k on the ODO with a hope of high performance and observed that the oil consumption was even more with 300V. I remember one run @ 100 kmph for around 25 kms resulted in the oil level dropping by 200 ml . I always had to keep a spare bottle of 300V for top up which was not cost friendly for a college student! Finally, sanity prevailed after using around 12 bottles of 300V that i cannot afford it anymore and i switched over to cheaper options.Stopped using 300v at around 40K mark .Now have stuck with Motul 3100,Valvoline or Shell AX series in xxW50 grade.

I guess , the oil consumption is an inherent problem with early gen Pulsars. Mine is 2008 model.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 21:27   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have same experience . I have observed oil consumption when the bike was around 12K mark. I started using 300V around 6k on the ODO with a hope of high performance and observed that the oil consumption was even more with 300V. I remember one run @ 100 kmph for around 25 kms resulted in the oil level dropping by 200 ml . I always had to keep a spare bottle of 300V for top up which was not cost friendly for a college student! Finally, sanity prevailed after using around 12 bottles of 300V that i cannot afford it anymore and i switched over to cheaper options.Stopped using 300v at around 40K mark .Now have stuck with Motul 3100,Valvoline or Shell AX series in xxW50 grade.

I guess , the oil consumption is an inherent problem with early gen Pulsars. Mine is 2008 model.
Not much has changed over the years, mine is a 2014 manufactured P220 and it still consumes oil, irrespective of oil consumption the DTSi motorcycles have more or less the same engine.

Other than the Classic Pulsars the rest never had any serious concern, I believe even Rajiv Bajaj has acknowledged this, that is with the exception of gaskets blowing which is believed to be part of the Pulsar experience.

As for 300v, I've made the same mistake, rode interstate on my Discover 100 4G with 300v, oil literally burnt off, that I had to change it at under 1.5k kms the moment I got back from Bangalore, it was a mistake on my part as the 300v is not JASO MA/MA2 certified, which is the quintessential certification for road going commuter(read: extensive clutch use) motorcycles with a wet clutch.

Motul does mention the same in a tactical way;

Quote:
Motul 4-Stroke engine lubricants meet JASO MA2
specifications under the latest standard JASO T 903, except for the 300V
racing motorcycle lubricants which are above existing standards
Racing oils are a class apart indeed but are required to be changed after manufacturer recommended hours of use, have confirmed the same with a 22 Y/O professional motocross rider from Kerala whom I had the fortune of meeting.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:21   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Not much has changed over the years, mine is a 2014 manufactured P220 and it still consumes oil, irrespective of oil consumption the DTSi motorcycles have more or less the same engine.

Other than the Classic Pulsars the rest never had any serious concern, I believe even Rajiv Bajaj has acknowledged this, that is with the exception of gaskets blowing which is believed to be part of the Pulsar experience.
I guess that is the reason why Bajaj has specified a service interval of 2,500 kms and oil change at 5,000 kms. To use this as a window to top up the lost oil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks