Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 12:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would a 700 cc fuel-injected Royal Enfield sell in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Dont know if they have changed the chassis in the TB500, but the bike is rock solid upto 135kmph, no dramas, no fishtailing, on locking the wheels into a skid, she skids straight and true (on a dry road with zero traffic), so I think the chassis is able to handle more power easily.
The enormous flex in a Bullet's chassis is something all Bulleteers learn to ride around, and the neutral handling and weight of the bike give the added perception of the Bullet being a "stable" bike.

The chassis flex is something you appreciate not doing 135 kmph, but going into corners and then shifting your weight over for the next in a series of them. Or going near flat out into a high speed sweeper with the back end dipping and bobbing.

Again, you learn to ride around this till you cease to realise it. Till you ride a bike with a brilliant chassis.

Somewhat like riding for months with a bent handle. You adjust and cease to notice it. Till you ride a bike with a true straight handle and think there is something weird about it.

But I agree with 4x4. With the kind of actual power the 700 will likely put down on to the tarmac at the rear wheel, a few strategic braces here and there on the 1950 chassis, coupled with the new modified rake and box section swingarm, should be just about enough.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 16:23   #17
BHPian

There are already some v twin bullet engines you can buy. Made out of mostly standard parts from normal RE's.

The carberry enfield has been in the making for a while now. I had written to him when he had developed his 1st prototype, but he was off the grid then and I got a reply from the aussy bike developer Ian something who was helping him with the project

Now the engine is in commercial production (if you can call it that) and they will even send you one here in India if you can clear it through customs. More information here:

http://www.carberryenfield.com.au/

A video of prototype here:

Another v twin here 700cc:

Eicher should just buy out the Carberry design. He has already spent 10 years on it. Maybe they already are speaking to him
53BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 18:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Would it be: Too thursty? Too large and heavy? Too expensive? Too fast?

Would the Indian people buy such a Indian made twin cylinder motorcycle if it was made?
The basic 700 cc motor that they have is the 1960s model vertical twin. To apply Twinspark and FI into 700 cc motor would mean that they will have to change all the engine-ancilliary units. It would be a challenging job. RE would also have to install a separate engine casting & machining shops. However, they could use the same engine assembly line.

Such a bike would be suited more for export markets, their current export volume is around 10k annually, So the overall volumes of such a bike would be around 7-8k annually (2-3k exported & a maximum of 5k sold domestically). The business case looks weak.

However, they could make a bike to showcase the brand and to improve popularity.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:37   #19
BHPian

I definately think there is a market for larger RE and cant wait for a larger block 700CC/750 CC to be introduced in India. RE is to India what HD is to US of A. They have a extremely strong presence and brand value in the market. I think there are many like me will buy anything RE and only RE.

RE over the years have managed to build a strong community and is a cult bike in India, ofcourse lot of the inspiration about community building has come from what HD has done in the US of A. RE definately has gained the first mover advantage in India and enjoys very strong brand loyalty in the market.

I am currently using the C5 Chrome Black and my next Bullet will be the larger,bigger,stronger RE whenever they launch it.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

I spotted this sometime back in chennai.

Would a 700 cc fuel-injected Royal Enfield sell in India?-fr_90.jpg

I would love to listen to double thump on the RE twin
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 04:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Your wish is granted.

Here is a video of Anicut's 998cc Musket

ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 04:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

And, again with silencers added

Old 27th June 2013, 23:45   #23
BHPian

A 700 CC twin from RE seems to be the next logical step all though it sounds too good to be true. This is a company whose corporate philosophy is hard to understand. Quality just does not seem to be on their list of priorities.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:31   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

A member of the US Royal Enfield forum has rebuilt his 1957/1958, 700cc vertical twin.
It was originally built by Royal Enfield in England and sold in the U.S. under the "Indian Trailblazer" brand name.

The attached video shows him riding it thru some side streets and a large dirt area in Colorado.

Sorry. Not any good pictures of the motorcycle but a lot of good sounds coming from the twin exhausts.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks