Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2019, 21:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: GPS Navigation for Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
There is a good selection of products available now to use on the motorcycle.
There is the Garmin Zumo 595/395 LM. Then there is the Magellen TRX7 and the Tomtom 400 I think. All are great products and this being a sorta niche space re quite expensive.
The question is which one of these is going to be best for use in India. For example as far as I know, Garmin does not even sell the Zumo range here.
You are right - we cant buy Garmin Zumo in India.

Best navigation in India - Google Maps. If you dont want to risk your primary phone - just buy a cheap android phone and put a Jio Sim in it - works better than any navigation device.
Old 30th March 2021, 10:50   #32
BHPian

In short, what is the best navigation solution for bikes?

Now, the longer version. I have only recently started riding and I am very very bad with directions. Riding in city, unless I am completely familiar with the route, is almost impossible without stopping every few minutes to consult my phone. In my observation road signs in Indian cities are almost non existent and when they do exist, information is not very useful or provided too late. In my estimate I lose at least 10% of my time trying to find the right direction. A lot more when I am riding in a city in unfamiliar location.

What is worse, I have overshot my turn even while riding on highways and having consulted the google map and counted the exact number of kilometers to ride before taking a turn on the tripmeter.

I have considered various solutions and I am still unable to decide what is best. I have tried using phone mount but the ones I received from Amazon were of cheap quality. I am afraid they might break and damage the phone. On top of that I have read that vibrations damage the camera in the phone. Don't want to risk that. Someone even told me that there is danger of someone just picking the phone off your bike and running away with it. I found it funny until someone snatched a phone from my friend's hand while he was on a call and walking on the street. Anything is possible and can't really risk a 50-60k phone if better solutions are available.

I have tried earphones. They either start slipping or my ears starts paining because of the push created by the helmet and earplugs slipping from my ear. I have tried a bunch of wired and wireless earphones. Another problem with wireless earphones that I have noticed is that first couple of words are missing in the direction. So instead of hearing "In five hundred meters take left", I end up hearing "hundred meters take left". So I am forced to guess when I should take that left. Sometimes it is pretty obvious but not always.

The final and best solution in my opinion would be a dedicated device. It can either be a navigation device or a cheap smartphone. I would prefer a dedicated navigation device but they seem to be extremely expensive for what they can do. Even devices that do not have GPS and have to be connected to your phone via bluetooth easily cost north of 10k. Ones with GPS definitely cost more.

I am not aware of any other possible solutions but if any of you are, feel free to add.

Now my questions are as follows:

1) Which is the best solution in your considered opinion and why?
2) If a second smartphone which is a decent one right now that will do the job without costing a lot? I know this is more of a smartphone and motorcycle question but no harm in asking I guess.
3) Which is a good phone mount if it is for primary smartphone that will alleviate most of my concerns? Would you suggest something cheaper if it was for a secondary smartphone that is pretty cheap itself?
4) Which is the best dedicated GPS navigation solution for bikes in your knowledge? May or may not require connecting with phone via bluetooth.
5) Is there any earphone that I can use which will be comfortable and connect well without any fear of dropping it on the way because, say, it is true wireless earphone that is a bit too loose?

When I say best I mostly mean value for money and practicality but you can use your own definition.

Thanks in advance for your answers and any other advice you might have to reduce my time lost while riding. Looking forward to replies.
rarkit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:54   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarkit View Post
Now my questions are as follows:

I prefer the flexibility of a dedicated device but I couldn't find much value in the premium that a GPS device demands, for eg. a Garmin Lumo device. A garmin device might be more accurate, etc but may not match the up-to-date and comprehensive database of Google maps (which is a free app on both iOS and android). My setup is google maps on a dedicated smartphone with a prepaid BSNL sim (plan to port it to Jio now due to additional coverage while touring in remote areas). This phone is separate from my own personal phone and is used with a RAM mount. I have RAM mount clamps attached on all 3 bikes at home. I just need to mount the X clamp on whichever bike I currently use, and it works fine all the time. A USB charger (available as accessory) is also a must since GPS usage saps the battery life pretty quickly and charging it on the move is a necessity.

Quote:
2) If a second smartphone which is a decent one right now that will do the job without costing a lot? I know this is more of a smartphone and motorcycle question but no harm in asking I guess.
I use a Moto X4, which is rain resistant / splash resistant. I have abused it in all kinds of extreme weather, heavy rains, hot sun, dust, etc. It doesn't heat up much as well, even on continuous GPS usage riding through the day. In 2019 it costed around 9k and has been working well for 2 years now. I'm not sure if they have upgraded the model in the meanwhile.

Quote:
3) Which is a good phone mount if it is for primary smartphone that will alleviate most of my concerns? Would you suggest something cheaper if it was for a secondary smartphone that is pretty cheap itself?
I use a RAM mount, and would recommend to go with that for the sheer quality aspect. There are cheaper lookalikes, I don't have any experience with those so cannot comment.

Quote:
4) Which is the best dedicated GPS navigation solution for bikes in your knowledge? May or may not require connecting with phone via bluetooth.
Dedicated smartphone + RAM mount + USB charger, with the phone paired via bluetooth to your helmet communications device such as Sena. This allows you to listen to music, be able to receive phone calls if need be, and still catch navigation commands from google maps.

Quote:
5) Is there any earphone that I can use which will be comfortable and connect well without any fear of dropping it on the way because, say, it is true wireless earphone that is a bit too loose?
I don't recommend using a regular earphone inside a helmet. It might fall off, plus if worn improperly it can cause ear pain, cables pulling / entangled and many other issues. Better to go with a dedicated communications device designed for helmets. These have speakers designed to fit amidst your helmet side cushions, and a mic near your chin area. The wiring is completely concealed inside the cushions. Do take a look at Sena and other such comms devices online.

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th March 2021 at 12:02.
KarthikK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:57   #34
BHPian

1. I don't know about best - but I've been using my old Nokia 7 Plus phone as a GPS device for more than a year now. It is mounted to a "Bobo jaw grip mobile holder" (without charger).
- I have travelled through some rough terrain and even hit a few unexpected potholes at high speeds - never once did the phone or the mount seem as if it might be at risk of falling off.
- Once you secure the mobile in the holder, it is impossible to take the mobile phone out without loosening the jaws first.
- I don't have a SIM card in this phone, so I just download the maps for offline usage in Google Maps. If you have a 2nd SIM, you don't even need to bother with this.

2. I've used the Nokia 7 Plus without a screen guard or a cover since the beginning. It has been dropped multiple times, once or twice on the floor of my parking as well. Apart from a couple of minor dents on the corners the phone works perfectly well. Consider a Nokia phone - there are some available at decent prices which are built fairly well.

3. Been using "Bobo jaw grip mobile holder" for ~7500 KM now - no complaints so far. I have also used my Note 10 with this mount on a couple of occasions when the old phone's battery died.

4. I've never felt the need for a dedicated GPS device, so cannot comment on this.

5. Try a basic Bluetooth helmet headset. I've been using this (its previous version actually) since 2017 and it still works fine. Connects to the phone immediately, and is VFM. I bought it for Rs. 1,800. You can find similar ones from other companies at a comparable price point.

Quote:
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:09   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
5. Try a basic Bluetooth helmet headset. I've been using this (its previous version actually) since 2017 and it still works fine. Connects to the phone immediately, and is VFM. I bought it for Rs. 1,800. You can find similar ones from other companies at a comparable price point.
Thanks for this suggestion
I generally use Sena 20S evo with a helmet clamp kit on my touring helmets, but that does not have proper provision for fitting on my Bell dual sport mx helmet, so I was looking for a simple standalone BT device concealed completely inside the helmet housing. This one seems to fit the bill perfectly on all parameters
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I prefer the flexibility of a dedicated device but I couldn't find much value in the premium that a GPS device demands, for eg. a Garmin Lumo device. A garmin device might be more accurate, etc but may not match the up-to-date and comprehensive database of Google maps (which is a free app on both iOS and android). My setup is google maps on a dedicated smartphone with a prepaid BSNL sim (plan to port it to Jio now due to additional coverage while touring in remote areas). This phone is separate from my own personal phone and is used with a RAM mount. I have RAM mount clamps attached on all 3 bikes at home. I just need to mount the X clamp on whichever bike I currently use, and it works fine all the time. A USB charger (available as accessory) is also a must since GPS usage saps the battery life pretty quickly and charging it on the move is a necessity.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. Also to JoeTheWanderer, I am new to this so do not know how I can mention him in the same comment.

Based on your comments a second smartphone with a quality mount with in built charger is the way to go. If I go for Bobo jaw grip mobile holder with charger, entire set up can be done within 10k.

Thank you once again both of you. I have been looking for a dedicated navigation device for a while but now you have helped me make up my mind.
rarkit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 14:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thanks for this suggestion
This one seems to fit the bill perfectly on all parameters
You're welcome.

What a coincidence, this one actually doesn't fit my new helmet and is now used in the old Studds helmet reserved for when I ride to nearby shops, etc. I'm considering getting a Sena SF2 for the Duke 2.

Quote:
...a quality mount with in built charger is the way to go.
Glad we could help.

I'd like to make one small point. The mount I use is without a built-in charger.

The chargers attached to these mobile mounts are usually not 100% waterproof and there is a chance that some water may enter the USB port while riding in the rain or washing the bike.

To avoid the risk of a short circuit, I use a power bank to charge my phone and action camera. The power bank sits inside my tank bag. In case I'm touring, I'll use 2 power banks.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 18:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post

I'd like to make one small point. The mount I use is without a built-in charger.

The chargers attached to these mobile mounts are usually not 100% waterproof and there is a chance that some water may enter the USB port while riding in the rain or washing the bike.

To avoid the risk of a short circuit, I use a power bank to charge my phone and action camera. The power bank sits inside my tank bag. In case I'm touring, I'll use 2 power banks.
Thanks for the info. Main reason why I am thinking of a mount with built in charger is that we probably have a bunch of phones lying around that will need to be revived but finding a new battery for them might be extremely difficult as they would be 4-5 years old phones. If I get a new phone then the built in charger wouldn't really be that useful but in case of an old phone with used battery it may help a lot.
Old 6th December 2021, 13:24   #39
BHPian

This is a FYI for all iPhone owners who want to use their phones with clamp on devices for navigation. Don't.
Cameras on two of my phones have gone bust in that manner (X and XR) one was clamped to the VulcanS and the other to the Ninja 1000SX.
The phones have optical stabilization and it goes bust because of the vibrations. So much so that Apple has come out with an official recommendation against doing that.
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 11:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post
This is a FYI for all iPhone owners who want to use their phones with clamp on devices for navigation. Don't.
Cameras on two of my phones have gone bust in that manner (X and XR) one was clamped to the VulcanS and the other to the Ninja 1000SX.
The phones have optical stabilization and it goes bust because of the vibrations. So much so that Apple has come out with an official recommendation against doing that.
There is a solution to this problem now
https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...ener-quad-lock
It is expensive , total cost is around 10K since one needs to buy a case and a mount in addition to the damper.

I have installed it and have used it for my Iphone 11 on my Himalayan and so far the camera is holding good.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 12:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
There is a solution to this problem now
https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...ener-quad-lock
It is expensive , total cost is around 10K since one needs to buy a case and a mount in addition to the damper.

I have installed it and have used it for my Iphone 11 on my Himalayan and so far the camera is holding good.
10k with no guarantee that the phone won't go bust doesn't sound very promising. My phone had no issue on the D390. It's only with the higher capacity bikes that two went bust in quick succession.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 4th January 2022, 16:34   #42
BANNED

Just a thought, can't smart watch be used for navigation? Here's a youtube video on how to configure Amazefit GTS 2 mini for navigation notification. But it is available for almost all the smart watches.

Has anyone tried? what are your views / experiences?
NSK123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 23:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Has anyone tried? what are your views / experiences?
Have tried this once or twice on my Samsung Gear S3 and the experience was nothing great to talk about. The map details are barely legible on such a small screen while on the move especially in sunlight. Also the wristwatch isn’t directly in your line of sight while riding so you have to consciously look away even if it just for a second or two to focus and make sense of the map. This is a potential hazard IMO especially if you’re doing good speeds. Better get a phone mount and a spare phone for the job if you can.

On a separate note, I have toured quite a bit on my bike and almost gotten used to google voice navigation only directly to my Sena intercom. In most instances it works pretty good unless you’re navigating confusing bylanes of crowded cities. As a bonus, there’s no fear of loosing the phone from the mount or damaging the iphone camera lens from vibrations as someone has posted above
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 12:37   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Have tried this once or twice on my Samsung Gear S3 and the experience was nothing great to talk about.
Thanks for your insights. I am using Portronics bluetooth headset which has a clip with buttons which can be put on the collar. I thought going to a smart watch would be better. After dropping the phone once, I am worried about putting the phone on mobile holder again. You made me think twice on smart watch.

https://www.amazon.in/Portronics-Har...%2C3442&sr=1-1

Last edited by NSK123 : 5th January 2022 at 12:43. Reason: Included the response link
Old 5th January 2022, 13:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Have tried this once or twice on my Samsung Gear S3 and the experience was nothing great to talk about. The map details are barely legible on such a small screen while on the move especially in sunlight. Also the wristwatch isn’t directly in your line of sight while riding so you have to consciously look away even if it just for a second or two to focus and make sense of the map. This is a potential hazard IMO especially if you’re doing good speeds. Better get a phone mount and a spare phone for the job if you can.

On a separate note, I have toured quite a bit on my bike and almost gotten used to google voice navigation only directly to my Sena intercom. In most instances it works pretty good unless you’re navigating confusing bylanes of crowded cities. As a bonus, there’s no fear of loosing the phone from the mount or damaging the iphone camera lens from vibrations as someone has posted above
Agree , Have tried Apple watch , Iphone in the pocket, Apple map , Sena combo. For highway it works well but is unusable in the city . In addition the watch slides under the jacket cuff and not practical.

Having damaged an iphone 11 camera on my Himalayan , went back to an old S9+ phone for some time . Currently using the quadlock vibration dampener for couple of weeks over 1000 Kms and it seems to be holding on pretty well even on rough off-road rides.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks