Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 21:25   #1
BHPian

Single-Peg Gear Shifters. Why?

I'm currently on the lookout for a new ride, and I couldn't help but notice that all manufacturers seem to be very eager in using single peg gear shifters.

What is the single best advantage of using such a shifter from the user point of view? I believe it only helps cut steel costs for the manufacturer.

In my experience with a friend's Hunk with a single peg shifter, I have to move my foot under or over the shift lever for every shift, which is not only more time consuming and cumbersome than the normal gear shifter, it also totally ruins shoes. Also, trying to down shift with chappals on (which I use for short distances) is pure nightmare for the left foot.

I can understand if they want their top-end models to have a sporty feel but premium-commuter bikes like the Extreme/Hunk, Unicorn having single peg shifters sounds weird. The Suzuki GS150R is the only premium-commuter with a regular shift lever (last I checked) but the bike is too boring and the service is a ? right now.
hellmet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 21:50   #2
BHPian

re: Single-Peg Gear Shifters. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I have to move my foot under or over the shift lever for every shift, which is not only more time consuming and cumbersome than the normal gear shifter, it also totally ruins shoes. Also, trying to down shift with chappals on (which I use for short distances) is pure nightmare for the left foot.
Agree with you about shoes getting spoiled but cannot agree with the 'time consuming and cumbersome'.
I learnt to ride in a bike which had double pegs and continued to do so for many years till i started using a friend's bike with a single peg. From then even while riding a bike with a double peg, i use only the front lever, unless i'm wearing a leather shoe. It's that easy and fast once you get used to it.

Last edited by Daewood : 9th July 2013 at 21:52.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 21:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

To make the end user wear protective footwear. I don't see any other reason. You may tie a soft cloth so that the mark on shoe is less.

BTW, Honda ASC has toe & heel shifter as an option. you may go with this.

Also, its a simple weld job. Find the heel shifter after market & weld it.

Quote:
which is not only more time consuming
Race bikes should have heel shifters as well, no? BTW, Race bikes have 1 down & rest upshift pattern, unlike street bikes or RR (race replica) bikes.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th July 2013 at 22:02.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 22:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
To make the end user wear protective footwear. I don't see any other reason. You may tie a soft cloth so that the mark on shoe is less.

BTW, Honda ASC has toe & heel shifter as an option. you may go with this.

Also, its a simple weld job. Find the heel shifter after market & weld it.

Race bikes should have heel shifters as well, no? BTW, Race bikes have 1 down & rest upshift pattern, unlike street bikes or RR (race replica) bikes.
I think they use first gear only at start of race (in grid). But we unfortunately have stop go! I think manufacturers are mimicking racing machines blindly and also is saving cost.

I changed my bikes shifters to peg and toe shifter the day I bought the bike!
Old 9th July 2013, 22:25   #5
BHPian

You can still get a full size gear shifter from the spares & retrofit it to the Hunk, Unicorn etc
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 22:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

I also have to admit, that today, I had a difficult time in getting my shoe under the gear peg of a Unicorn. It was a normal Reebok running shoe.

The problem with Unicorn is the commuter position (straightened riding position & foot-peg position) unlike CBZ & Hunk Motorcycles.

You can shift by toe only despite your bike having toe & heel shifter, but on only a toe shifter, you can't shift via heel.

Maybe something which a manufacturer or their engineer from R&D lab can answer.
Old 9th July 2013, 22:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Probably its got more to do with practice. Ever since my RD days I have always pondered as to why many commuter bikes have 2 peg gear shifters. Have always been at ease using the single peg rather than dual ones.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 22:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

I hate the single foot peg .

It destroys the office leather shoes or any other shoe .you can see a patch or hole at top shifter area.
When it rains it is the worst .You put down on a patch or dirt , it comes back on the top of shoe while shifting .
Bigger shoes does not fit inside the toe shifter area .
Old 9th July 2013, 23:05   #9
BHPian

When you are riding a bit aggressively and have your toe on the left footpeg during a left turn, the heel interferes with the heel shifter of a toe-heel shifter. Even if that does not happen, going over a bump with your toe on the footpeg will cause your heel to descend causing an accidental gearshift.

The toe shifter is a consideration in my choice of footwear.
Also, getting the heel on the shifter requires me to move the whole leg up as opposed to an ankle movement for the toe shifter. But that's just me and i am not used to a heel shifter.
Old 10th July 2013, 02:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm currently on the lookout for a new ride, and I couldn't help but notice that all manufacturers seem to be very eager in using single peg gear shifters.

What is the single best advantage of using such a shifter from the user point of view? I believe it only helps cut steel costs for the manufacturer.
Its interesting to see this question after such a long time

I don't think cost is the primary reason for Toe Only Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Agree with you about shoes getting spoiled but cannot agree with the 'time consuming and cumbersome'.
I learnt to ride in a bike which had double pegs and continued to do so for many years till i started using a friend's bike with a single peg. From then even while riding a bike with a double peg, i use only the front lever, unless i'm wearing a leather shoe. It's that easy and fast once you get used to it.
Exactly its just a matter of getting used to, though leather shoes is indeed an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
To make the end user wear protective footwear. I don't see any other reason.
I doubt if they care so much about riders

But yeah if Honda provides them as accessory then that's a good option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
I think they use first gear only at start of race (in grid). But we unfortunately have stop go!
You are kidding right?

Here are some reasons why I think they provide Toe only.

- To give a Sporty feel to the bike(the same reason they give clip bar handles & aerodynamic fairing on our puny engines)

- The Toe & Heel Shifter would always mean a vertical sitting posture & may restrict the seating to be designed sporty.

- Toe only shifter allows them more liberty with placement of Footpegs & other equipment e.g. check RTR, I don't think it can have same riding stance or peg placement with a heel & Toe shifter.
Technocrat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 10:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

- The Toe & Heel Shifter would always mean a vertical sitting posture & may restrict the seating to be designed sporty.

- Toe only shifter allows them more liberty with placement of Footpegs & other equipment e.g. check RTR, I don't think it can have same riding stance or peg placement with a heel & Toe shifter.
+1 to both the reasons. Also, a toe+heel shifter would mean that ther rider has to keep his foot always on the gear shifter rather than the foot rest.

Also the riding posture & placement of foot rests can be played around with a single peg shifter. To offer a more sporty position, often foot rests are pushed slightly back from where it should be in normal riding position. In fact, its good to have once you have got used to it.

Regards,
Saket
Old 10th July 2013, 11:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

I used to chop off the heel section, grind and round off the eds, and reposition the shifters on all my LHS shift Bullets. The heel-toe shifter is ok for commuter bikes for the sake of formal shoes of guys going to office. But it has zero advantages otherwise. The quality of shifting and control you get with a toe shifter is very different from stomping down with your heel.
Old 10th July 2013, 11:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Probably its got more to do with practice. Ever since my RD days I have always pondered as to why many commuter bikes have 2 peg gear shifters. Have always been at ease using the single peg rather than dual ones.
I agree and am never comoftable using toe/heel shifters. Also I think usinga toe shifter is more comfortable.

If a rider is unable to get their toe under the lever its the wrong shoe for the bike or the wrong bike for the rider!

(BTW this did not bother me much cause my bike had gears on the right side and the heel shift was for neutral only.)
Old 10th July 2013, 11:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I used to chop off the heel section, grind and round off the eds, and reposition the shifters on all my LHS shift Bullets. The heel-toe shifter is ok for commuter bikes for the sake of formal shoes of guys going to office. But it has zero advantages otherwise. The quality of shifting and control you get with a toe shifter is very different from stomping down with your heel.
Frankly speaking, I have never destroyed even a single pair of shoes because of gear shifters. My daily commute to office is about 20 kms up & down.
Old 10th July 2013, 15:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'm more at home toe-shifting, nothing matches the satisfaction. Even when riding bikes with a heel and toe set-up, I always toe shift. Except on the Splendor, which might cause permanent damage to your foot if you try toe shifting. But then again, it's what you get used to with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks