Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 20:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda CB Trigger : Ride Report & Pics

Actually, the switches are not from Dream Neo. Its from the mighty old HH splendor. My friend having a 12 year splendor have exactly the same switchgear. So if something brokes off, then spare parts availability will never be an issue as Hero spare parts are easily available.
Old 17th July 2013, 20:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Only the CBR250R has it. I've wondered too, it's a simple, yet handle switch. But afer 2 and a half years with a Hero, you'll learn to ride without one!
I would learn to, but would not like to, at-least when I am paying the same price for a bike in a class where there is a lot of competition. At every other launch by these companies, I hope that it would be included in their feature list. Till now, disappointment has greeted me.

Quote:
  • I haven't ridden the GS-150R, so I would go for the Trigger given I expect it to offer better FE than the FZ. If mileage is not a deal breaker, the FZ. Those Yamaha brakes are just amazing and the tyres are very grippy. Again, this is just my opinion. Depending on usage, you could choose either.
Having ridden the Fz, I would definitely pick it over the current Honda bikes if I am not leaning towards the FE. The only problem with the Fz is the top end. it looses breath there. Maybe it was a problem in my friends ride, but that is what I felt.

I have had most of the time of my life with the Rx100 and I know what it feels to be on the saddle on an Yahama. Also, ridden the R15 and Fz extensively, Yamaha hasn't disappointed me yet.

Quote:
The On-Road price for the Trigger in Bangalore are as follows:

STD Version: Rs. 81,809
DLX Version: Rs. 85,303
CBS Version: Rs. 92,873
The STD version is priced for what I would get an Fz-s here in Thane. Knowing that prices down south are a bit on the higher side, assuming a couple of thousands less, it would be not much of a difference. I would also get the GS in the same range, as well as the CBZ Xtreme.
Going to the CBS version, I would spend some thousands more and go for the 200NS which is an awesome machine in itself.

If Honda had priced this around 5k less, this might have helped a bit in the sales. As of now, I don't expect to see much of these on the road. Purely my opinion and would loved to be proved wrong by the masses.
Old 17th July 2013, 20:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
I would learn to, but would not like to, at-least when I am paying the same price for a bike in a class where there is a lot of competition. At every other launch by these companies, I hope that it would be included in their feature list. Till now, disappointment has greeted me.
That is true indeed. I also heard from a local mechanic it's a Rs.70 job to install one. It's the little things like that make a difference between the perception of the quality of the Yamaha and the Honda. The switchgear is very disappointing too. On a "premium" commuter, such cheap switchgear is absurd!

Quote:
Having ridden the Fz, I would definitely pick it over the current Honda bikes if I am not leaning towards the FE. The only problem with the Fz is the top end. it looses breath there. Maybe it was a problem in my friends ride, but that is what I felt.

I have had most of the time of my life with the Rx100 and I know what it feels to be on the saddle on an Yahama. Also, ridden the R15 and Fz extensively, Yamaha hasn't disappointed me yet.
Top end is not a deal breaker in most cases, not like our roads are very obliging anyway! But I have heard the FZ struggles past 100, so might not be a one off case.

Quote:
The STD version is priced for what I would get an Fz-s here in Thane. Knowing that prices down south are a bit on the higher side, assuming a couple of thousands less, it would be not much of a difference. I would also get the GS in the same range, as well as the CBZ Xtreme.
Going to the CBS version, I would spend some thousands more and go for the 200NS which is an awesome machine in itself.

If Honda had priced this around 5k less, this might have helped a bit in the sales. As of now, I don't expect to see much of these on the road. Purely my opinion and would loved to be proved wrong by the masses.
The Apache 180 ABS is a better deal given the 92k price tag for the CBS version. Heck, even the Karizma and the P220 are just a few thousands more! For a newbie, the Apache 180 ABS makes more sense and for an experienced rider, the P200 or the Karizma depending on taste.

I remember seeing one on the road a few weeks ago, not very attention grabbing, caught my attention because those were tail lights I didn't recognise!
Old 17th July 2013, 20:25   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Actually, the switches are not from Dream Neo. Its from the mighty old HH splendor. My friend having a 12 year splendor have exactly the same switchgear.
I feel this switchgear was first used in the Honda Stunner and later on transferred to all its likes.

Spare parts will never be an issue as you can use parts from the Hero stable for the Honda ones as the base is the same.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 17th July 2013, 22:09   #20
BHPian

Nice review parrys.
Even though this is a basic bike it looks quite good.
Actually this looks very similar to the Yamaha FZ-16 from some angles, especially the headlights!

Why does Honda use CB before their bikes' names? Eg CB Twister, CB Unicorn, CB Trigger ?
Old 17th July 2013, 22:13   #21
BHPian

As Anurag has rightly stated, the switchgear setup is originally from the Stunner and it can also be seen on the CBR150r albeit must be of a higher quality on it(not sure about it).

IMO, this bike looks uglier than the outgoing Dazzler, the Dazzler looks much better be it from the front or the sides(that cowl does lend some beauty).

Even the Dazzler comes with 14BHP as compared to the 13.3BHP in the Unicorn but both (Dazz and Uni) have the same torque figures. Both are rated at 12.74 NM and the Trigger at 12.5Nm. I don't think this would make a world of a difference.

For me, the Trigger should have had the following things added to the Dazzler:
1.Engine Kill Switch and switch gear same as Unicorn/Dazzler.
2.Good headlight.
3. 13-14 ltrs fuel tank (like Unicorn).
4. Engine note smooth and silent as the Unicorn and not like the Dazzler which is a bit louder and inclined to performance( Indian mentality, "Jitna kam awaaz engine se, utna smooth")
5. Lastly, the size, even for the Dazzler which is some MMs shorter than the Unicorn, I've heard people say "The bike is so small" and "bahot chhoti hain Unicorn se" and the Trigger is even shorter in length, this will have a -ve effect definitely.

For me, this bike is a COMPLETE DUD and will face the same regrettable end as the Dazzler. 92k for the top version, there are better and more powerful options in that price range.

Unicorn will still sell strongly and I don't see any prospective Unicorn customer going in for this bike! Very sad to see such launches from my favourite two-wheeler company.

-Bhargav
Old 17th July 2013, 22:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Why does Honda use CB before their bikes' names? Eg CB Twister, CB Unicorn, CB Trigger ?
This question had crossed my mind when the dazzler was launched. Any Ideas on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
For me, this bike is a COMPLETE DUD and will face the same regrettable end as the Dazzler. 92k for the top version, there are better and more powerful options in that price range.

Unicorn will still sell strongly and I don't see any prospective Unicorn customer going in for this bike! Very sad to see such launches from my favourite two-wheeler company.
You summarized my thoughts very well. Unicorn, IMO is a better looking vehicle compared to Trigger, and hopefully, rides well too. Pricing also being on a higher side, not many would like to plonk their hard earned money on a vehicle that is not at par with the competetion. Honda needs to fiddle a bit more with
their designers and provide better quality of materials to stay right up there in the league. Or else, it might loose way to the agressive tactics of Bajaj.

Quote:
That is true indeed. I also heard from a local mechanic it's a Rs.70 job to install one.
I didn't know this. Thanks.
anyone in Mumbai knows who does this? A friend of mine wanted it on his Xtreme.

Last edited by carzone : 17th July 2013 at 22:54.
Old 17th July 2013, 23:58   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Good Doubt and Thanks for raising this doubt

Just tried googling and found nothing big but a link from Wikipedia about the CB series of bikes from Honda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB_series

It says:

Quote:
One of the most extensive lines of Honda motorcycles is the CB Series. Many CB models are still sold as commuting and cruising bikes. All CB series motorbikes have inline engines.
In the Indian context the CB would mean Commuting Bikes. That's why all their bikes are commuter oriented.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 18th July 2013, 07:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
And I would like to mention that the engine is not boring at all.
I own a R15 2.0, and while riding this (The Trigger) the engine kept me quite happy on the highway. Apart from the high speed inability.

CBS & C-ABS is different. There is no electronic motor involved here to work as a full functional ABS unit. This one just applies an adequate brake-force on the front brakes when just the rear brakes are applied.

I just wish that if the CBR 250R has C-ABS, the CBR 150R gets CBS at least.
I've got a first-gen Unicorn parked right next to my current ride - A Zma R. And if push comes to shove, I'd pick the Unicorn over the Zma anyday !

The Unicorn might look invisible to everyone on the street and might be down when it comes to power on the Zma, but boy can she dance when shown a set of twisties !

P.S: I've booked the 390 KaToooM and as it stands, the Zma is the sacrificial lamb...

P.P.S: Again.. Lovely review mate. I just wish HMSI had put as much effort into designing the Trigger as you have put into this review...
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 09:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope I am not asking for more, but can we have the specs comparison with the others in the segment, just like we have it for the 4-wheeler reviews?
Will surely keep that in mind, for the bikes we test in the future.

Quote:
  • What would you prefer in the commuter segment, if you were to choose between the Fz-s and the Trigger, or even the GS-150R?
The FZ-S is a brilliant motorcycle, but it sure has a bunch of negatives. Such as: Low FE, tyres wearing out sooner than expected, swing-arm bush giving away sooner because of the fat rubber behind. Also, Yamaha's spare parts are not that pocket friendly. But yes, I would surely buy it over the CB Trigger.

But if I was looking at the commuter segment, I would also think about the Hero Hunk. Even the TVS Apache series in that case.

Quote:
The Apache 180 ABS is a better deal given the 92k price tag for the CBS version. Heck, even the Karizma and the P220 are just a few thousands more! For a newbie, the Apache 180 ABS makes more sense and for an experienced rider, the P200 or the Karizma depending on taste.
I agree!
And a ABS version would be much more forgiving that the CBS under panic braking, for sure.

Price, even the Pulsar 200 NS is not too far away.
Never forget to look for a used proposition, the Dukes (200) are making their way in the used market with the arrival of the Duke 390.
parrys is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 10:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
But if I was looking at the commuter segment, I would also think about the Hero Hunk. Even the TVS Apache series in that case.
One more question if you don't mind. Are the Hunk and CBZ Xtreme one and the same with just different skins? I did ride both for short durations, but couldn't make out the difference. What is the point behind two vehicles which are almost the same mechanically under one stable?

Also, how would we rate TVS? I have been hearing horror stories about the after sales as well as the riding posture from many. Hence, I have not developed a liking for Apache, eventhough it is a splendid motorcycle.

I hope I am not going OT here.
Old 18th July 2013, 10:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question if you don't mind. Are the Hunk and CBZ Xtreme one and the same with just different skins? I did ride both for short durations, but couldn't make out the difference. What is the point behind two vehicles which are almost the same mechanically under one stable?
Well, take a look at the spec sheet, and you will know that both the bikes are identical in its core if not for the exterior design. But the Xtreme failed to lure the customers as the earlier gen CBZ did. Just like the Old gen Maruti Zen still looks more appealing that the Zen Estilo.

What is the point? Well, a manufacturer would love to push out the maximum it can from their facility. One - for numbers, two - profitability due to part / engine sharing? May be...

Quote:
Also, how would we rate TVS? I have been hearing horror stories about the after sales as well as the riding posture from many. Hence, I have not developed a liking for Apache, eventhough it is a splendid motorcycle.
I owned the fist gen Apache (150cc) for 40k kms & the RTR 180 for another 20K kms. Yes, people talk about the engine vibrations annoying them and making the ride uncomfortable - agreed; but a supremely refined engine is boring as well. TVS bikes for sure last much longer, on both of my above mentioned bikes, I never has to shell anything beyond the regular service costs. Yes, even at 40K kms, the 1st gen Apache was running brilliantly on the stock clutch plate where my friends Bajaj Pulsar required a change at 26-28k kms.

Trust me, take the RTR 180 for a ride - alone and in the night. You will fall in love with that exhaust note. That is one reason I had to get an after market air filter on my current R15 2.0 to match up the eargasm.

Riding posture, I never had a problem with. I loved how I used to sit on the RTR 180.

Last edited by parrys : 18th July 2013 at 10:34.
parrys is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 13:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Another lame attempt by Honda India. I don't see the point of this bike when you already have the Dazzler in your portfolio.

I will take that 60kmpl claim with a pinch of salt. My well maintained Unicorn never delivered more than 37kmpl when I toured with it. The city cycle would not see more than 42kmpl. If they have improved things, well and good.

Isn't 92K in the RTR 180 territory?
Old 18th July 2013, 13:31   #29
Team-BHP Support

A nice riding impression compilation. Thanks for sharing

Quote:

The FZ-S is a brilliant motorcycle, but it sure has a bunch of negatives. Such as: Low FE, tyres wearing out sooner than expected, swing-arm bush giving away sooner because of the fat rubber behind. Also, Yamaha's spare parts are not that pocket friendly. But yes, I would surely buy it over the CB Trigger.
Tyres wear out soon as they have masses of grip. No win win situation here :-)

For the first time, been hearing about swing arm bush issue. Everytime I heard about often puncture story & rim bending issue on the FZ.

I welcome this Motorcycle as it would be nice for someone wishing to ride something different from Unicorn from HMSI stable.

But, IMO Dazzler was better.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For the first time, been hearing about swing arm bush issue.
A friend of mine changed his rear tyre twice, and also replaced the swing-arm bush each time.

A questionable reason that he gave me: Fatter the tyre - more the ability to lean on a particular corner. Hence, more load on the swing-arm bush.

I guess there has to be much more than just this reason.

But when I asked by SA about getting a fatter section on my R15 2.0, he gave me a similar reason. So may be it is true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks