Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 18:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2 Wheeler Conspicuity - Increasing Visibility On Road

I usually get a doubt when driving (a car). With the fully covered helmets how much peripheral vision does a bike rider have? They seem to struggle even to see next to them (considering mirrors dont show everything).

Also, it insulates noise and the rider might not be that aware of the surrounding ?
Old 26th July 2013, 18:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I usually get a doubt when driving (a car). With the fully covered helmets how much peripheral vision does a bike rider have? They seem to struggle even to see next to them (considering mirrors dont show everything).

Also, it insulates noise and the rider might not be that aware of the surrounding ?
He he he don't bother the car fellows are honking loud enough without realising the db levels from their insulated cars.

No seriously it does limit the vision, increases dandruff and hair fall but safety is more important.

Full face ones helps with dust and at times I love to ride in rain without getting the head drenched
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 18:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With well designed helmets, peripheral vision will be good. Also the helmets will not insulate the entire noise, but only wind noise to an extent. And due to this we will be able to hear and be aware of our surroundings better when compared to the constant howl of wind in the helmet.
Old 26th July 2013, 18:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I'm sorry but yes i definitely do know that i use my indicator to indicate the direction i would like to take, and when I am stationary on the left side of the road which is obviously where I would stop on Indian roads, i indicate the right because thats where I am heading to when I start riding my bike again. Standing on the left side of the road and using is the left indicator is quite pointless imho.

My thinking goes that when anybody behind me sees the right indicator he assumes i'm ready to move out into traffic again and thereby maintaining a distance from me.

And yes contrary to what you might think a lot of us here in india have been taught the right things by our brothers/friends/driving school instructors/tbhp etc.
So essentially while you're waiting on the side of the road and NOT actually heading back onto it, everyone else on the road is meant to slow down under the assumption that you are going to merge with them or move to the next lane to give you room just so you have breathing space while you're on the side of the road? That seems pretty selfish and very contrary to your last paragraph.

If your bike has hazards, keep them on to inform motorists of your presence. If you don't have hazards, then keep the LEFT indicator on so:
  1. Traffic can see you.
  2. Know you are NOT merging into their lane so they may proceed as normal.
If you still don't have enough space and vehicles are coming close to you then you have chosen an unsafe place to stop to begin with.
Old 27th July 2013, 03:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I'm sorry but yes i definitely do know that i use my indicator to indicate the direction i would like to take, and when I am stationary on the left side of the road which is obviously where I would stop on Indian roads, i indicate the right because thats where I am heading to when I start riding my bike again. Standing on the left side of the road and using is the left indicator is quite pointless imho.

My thinking goes that when anybody behind me sees the right indicator he assumes i'm ready to move out into traffic again and thereby maintaining a distance from me.

And yes contrary to what you might think a lot of us here in india have been taught the right things by our brothers/friends/driving school instructors/tbhp etc.
I'm sorry sir, but what you are doing is entirely wrong.

Standing on the left side and using the left indicator is the standard procedure, followed internationally (of course it will be the opposite side for countries that drive on the other side of the road). You should only use your right indicators when you are ready to get back onto the road.

What is the point of signalling something which you are not intending to do yet, just for other vehicles to give you a wide berth? By that logic we should all be switching on our indicator lamps even during normal driving, so that we get sufficient space from vehicles all around us!

This sort of non-standard road behaviour is very misleading and once again this highlights the importance of having formal driving education as against having information that is often incorrect passed down by relatives who themselves may not be well informed.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Can you give us a link or point to purchase it from. Will be useful for many like you said.

Regards
You normally get them at any shop selling safety equipment, like road cones etc.

They are quite easy to find
motocamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 09:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Did you mean something like:

or
THIS thing!

The latter looks like a sweat machine but fairly colorful - like a national flag or something
The former will work beautifully.

Dont know what the second is?.... jousting attire
Old 27th July 2013, 10:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
The former will work beautifully.

Dont know what the second is?.... jousting attire
Thanks. The second image is the google image search for tabard
Old 27th July 2013, 10:45   #39
BHPian

Hi google'd this on the first try
http://www.reflectivevestindia.com/

3m vests would be good
Old 27th July 2013, 11:08   #40
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The reduction in peripheral vision is not much, actually. Sure, one may not be able to see things in "the corner of the eye", so to speak, but remember, the rider's head is completely free to move around. Even a slight movement of the head is enough to bring things around into view. Unfortunately, most two-wheeler mirrors usually do not provide a sufficient viewing field.

But one must remember that there are no blind spots for a 2 wheeler rider, that drivers of vehicles with 3, 4, 6 wheels and more have to usually contend with. There are no A and B pillars, no roof, no high dashboard, no passenger seat to the left etc.

The noise insulation provided by a full face helmet is its second best feature, after the safety. Believe me, with the uncivilized habit of Indians to constantly use the horn, and the tendency of certain nasty fellows to use horns with illegally high decibel levels , a rider (and pillion) is much better off with a helmet that offers additional noise insulation!
Old 27th July 2013, 11:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer to have slightly compromised perpheral vision if at all (highly debatable) than not have a head to hold my eyes in. It is absurd in this day and age in Pune, every time someone talks of making helmets compulsory, the whole city is up in arms. As if their Ninja scarves give them divine protection. Rant mode off now.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th July 2013 at 12:03.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
So essentially while you're waiting on the side of the road and NOT actually heading back onto it, everyone else on the road is meant to slow down under the assumption that you are going to merge with them or move to the next lane to give you room just so you have breathing space while you're on the side of the road? That seems pretty selfish and very contrary to your last paragraph.

If your bike has hazards, keep them on to inform motorists of your presence. If you don't have hazards, then keep the LEFT indicator on so:
  1. Traffic can see you.
  2. Know you are NOT merging into their lane so they may proceed as normal.
If you still don't have enough space and vehicles are coming close to you then you have chosen an unsafe place to stop to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I'm sorry sir, but what you are doing is entirely wrong.

Standing on the left side and using the left indicator is the standard procedure, followed internationally (of course it will be the opposite side for countries that drive on the other side of the road). You should only use your right indicators when you are ready to get back onto the road.

This sort of non-standard road behaviour is very misleading and once again this highlights the importance of having formal driving education as against having information that is often incorrect passed down by relatives who themselves may not be well informed.
lol! seems like I have earned myself a tag in the process of my explanation -'selfish', 'ill-informed' etc.

Now what do i say? Not always do i get a chance to stop at a lay by (possibly the safest place to park on the road/highway) sometimes you do have to stop at a place that does not have adequate space and on my bike the left indicator does get lost on the left side of the road - i dont feel it really calls out ( again could be my perception). Now all this is assuming I have not stepped off the bike, and I am sure in all probability I start to merge with the traffic in a couple of mins.

However if its a planned stop where I do step off my bike, then I am going to find the best spot available to stop which makes sure my bike is quite a distance from the shoulder of the road and also visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
By that logic we should all be switching on our indicator lamps even during normal driving, so that we get sufficient space from vehicles all around us!
Now thats taking things a bit too far ain't it mate?

Anyways the reason I responded with my version of doing things is that I have been a victim of a hit and run myself. I was standing at a signal in front of Chola Sheraton on Cathedral road, right under a street lamp, bright orange bike et al, and im rear ended by a bike (thankfully!) that was speeding down from the flyover and lost control under braking. The guy apparently hit me and miraculously gained control and continued riding away. For no fault of mine I was hit, thrown out of my bike and thankfully landed on my helmet which hit the stone divider. the bike had a chassis/frame bend. I have been slightly paranoid of this visibility concept ever since, hence my actions/thoughts.

cheers!
sai
Old 28th August 2013, 10:10   #43
BHPian

I did 19000 km on bike in one year 10 months and out of this 9000 km tour in just one month( read my travelogue , hyderabad to Leh) , so I think I can give some advise.

First.

All four wheel drivers would be looking out for another four wheeler and this is perticularly true of neo-rich car drivers on the highways and less true of experienced ones.

So, your bikes head lights must be on even during day time.

The danger.

When a biker weaves through a host of cars , trucks etc., on Highways ( not in the city) , KEEP YOUR BIKES HEAD LIGHTS ON even during day light. If you do not do this , you as a biker clearly notice that a car driver noticed you in the last few seconds , in the broad day light, and that too when are so many vehicles on that perticular spot.
"S" shaped turns among cars perticularly, and some times ,though rarely, among trucks, is dangerous without head lights switched on for your bike.

I bought a blue colour "radium tape" and I stuck it up to helmet on the back side in bits and pieces.. I put this same tape on wheel rims also.

In the night always blow horn, do not depend on lights alone.
venuraja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks