Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 13:39   #16
BHPian

re: Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post

Thats a good video, Samir being so easily recognisable in his gear. And you seem to be doing decent in keeping up with him.

Do wish Sagar my best for his participation.
Acutally Sameer wasnt around duing that weekend because I guess he was there on your track day.

It was Hanna doing all the coaching during our weekend. The Apex coaches follow you around kari for a lap and that was Hanna (with the camera) following me. Ofcourse thats why he looks faster
Old 30th July 2013, 21:36   #17
BHPian

A thread for the unbelievable amount of fun had and a lot of interesting people we met. It was a fantastic experience indeed. The most difficult part was editing that go pro vid shot from the top of my helmet.

Like doctorque said, we had been riding for long and had been planning for a track day for even longer and this time just put the money down when the opportunity came. Apex Racing turned out to be a good tool for us trackday amateurs and following sameer aka Killer was simply killer. The way he danced around those corners on the mighty R1 was simply unbelievable.

In the end it wasn't just attacking corners but a lot of lessons learnt as well. A lot of flaws dicovered which would simply not be possible on the streets since one is simply not pushing rather simply cannot push that hard.

A word of advise for first timers. Do NOT take your own bike first time around. its better to get an idea on beat up bikes ( ours just looked like rat bikes but performed admirably well in that scorching heat). Good gear is essential and is the only thing that lies between that beautiful but flesh tearing tarmac and your skin so do not skimp on it. In the end its an experience well worth the money. So go for it!
balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 22:43   #18
BHPian

Here's a video of my friend doing laps in his stock R15 during a training by IndiMotard. Video is good quality thanks to GoPro Hero3. The Speedo/tacho are clearly visible. Hope it's helpful in getting familiar with the track

Old 2nd August 2013, 01:01   #19
BHPian

Hey Doctorque,
Those are some awesome pics. Reading/hearing your trackday experience was a delight. Myself and a few other friends are looking forward to join you on the next one.
Keep it up.
Ride safe.
chintan15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 01:50   #20
BHPian

Nice pics
There are loads of videos on youtube to learn cornering, I personally learn quite a lot from the video Twist of the wrist by Keith Code.

Isn't knee guard mandatory as part of track days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
A word of advise for first timers. Do NOT take your own bike first time around. its better to get an idea on beat up bikes ( ours just looked like rat bikes but performed admirably well in that scorching heat). Good gear is essential and is the only thing that lies between that beautiful but flesh tearing tarmac and your skin so do not skimp on it. In the end its an experience well worth the money. So go for it!
Couldn't agree more, gear gear gear is the most vital which will save.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 2nd August 2013 at 01:53.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Here's a video of my friend doing laps in his stock R15 during a training by IndiMotard. Video is good quality thanks to GoPro Hero3. The Speedo/tacho are clearly visible. Hope it's helpful in getting familiar with the track

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Oh__TNUGmL8
Thats a nice video there from your friend. I did notice one thing though and i may be wrong here, there were occasions when your friend hesitated in up shifting and kept the engine on the rev limiter for more than a bit. IMO if there upshifts on some of those occasions he could have the lap times down a little bit.

Thanks for sharing. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintan15 View Post
Hey Doctorque,
Those are some awesome pics. Reading/hearing your trackday experience was a delight. Myself and a few other friends are looking forward to join you on the next one.
Keep it up.
Ride safe.

Looking forward to it Chintan. Since long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Nice pics
There are loads of videos on Youtube to learn cornering, I personally learn quite a lot from the video Twist of the wrist by Keith Code.

Isn't knee guard mandatory as part of track days?

Couldn't agree more, gear gear gear is the most vital which will save.

Knee guard is the minimum mandate for knee protection. However, the more the protection (Full suit/Leather or Mesh riding pants), the better it is.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a nice video there from your friend. I did notice one thing though and i may be wrong here, there were occasions when your friend hesitated in up shifting and kept the engine on the rev limiter for more than a bit. IMO if there upshifts on some of those occasions he could have the lap times down a little bit.

Thanks for sharing. Cheers
I discussed the same with him; he said an upshift would mean a very quick downshift to follow, in some of the places, and he'd tried it earlier, which made him lose time in effect. He was riding the entire time in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear. He's shared me some more videos of his training laps. I'll share it here, once I get some time free, as the file size is huge.
Old 7th August 2013, 16:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
I discussed the same with him; he said an upshift would mean a very quick downshift to follow, in some of the places, and he'd tried it earlier, which made him lose time in effect. He was riding the entire time in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear. He's shared me some more videos of his training laps. I'll share it here, once I get some time free, as the file size is huge.
Yes sure, please do share the other video when you get time. Kari is a pretty technical track as they say with much tighter corners compared to the track in Chennai. Apart from the start-finish straight, there is no place to relax the body and one needs to continuously move around in order to post some competitive lap times.
Old 8th August 2013, 14:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes sure, please do share the other video when you get time. Kari is a pretty technical track as they say with much tighter corners compared to the track in Chennai. Apart from the start-finish straight, there is no place to relax the body and one needs to continuously move around in order to post some competitive lap times.
Here's one more short video. Other videos are longer, and file size is huge. Will try to upload more in the coming week:

Old 10th December 2014, 15:05   #25
BHPian

Re: Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore

It was time to do another track day and this time we were 5 of us. 4 (Myself, @Balenopower, @Chintan15 and Arvind Anand) of us were participating in the L1 course from Apex Racing Academy and one friend is a journalist (Ruman from Motoring World) who was covering the event for his publication. Take a look at the short edited video and more info on the same coming up soon.

Last edited by doctorque : 10th December 2014 at 15:07.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:04   #26
BHPian

Re: Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore

Hello Guys
I am planning to enroll for Apex Racing Academy training session scheduled 9th and 10th Feb at Kari Motor Speedway. I wanted to enroll for CSS but slots are already full.

If anyone of you have any experience with Apex Racing Academy, please so let me know!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks