Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 15:57   #1
BHPian

Yamaha FZ-S: Unhappy with part quality / replacements & after-sales service

Please bear with my rant but this is coming out after 3 years of frustration.

Now, a lot of people would be a Yamaha fan and pretty happy with the ownership. However, learn from my mistake.

I own a Yamaha Fz-S, bought in 2010. I have owned this bike to close to 3 years now and listing below the failures of the bike.

Probably, all the buyers may add this to their maintenance costs.

Within 3 years (32000 KMS) I had to replace the following parts.
1. Disc pads (3 times)
2. Rear break shows (N number of times)
3. Chain+Sprocket.
4. Air Filter.
5. Footrest (Bike fell from the stand and footrest broke - poor quality).
6. Battery.
7. Clutch Plate.
8. Headlight dome (Poor quality hinges, broke while mechanic was tightening it)
9. Rear+Front Tyre.
10. Handle bar (bends even at the slightest touch of ground).

These are the parts which I can remember as of now.
Some parts still are faulty and need replacement, I am planning not to after being fed-up.

Please make a note, within the 3 years, I have never met with an accident or even the slightest crash **touch wood**. The items which have been replaces are purely based on ware-n-tear.

Apart from the regular replacement ceremony, it is a task to get the bike serviced. Either the service centers dont take the bike because of heavy load, or if they take the bike, they do not really "Service" your bike.
I have faced issues where the Engine oil was not refilled after getting my bike from service, over-charge, rip-off, attitude from mechanics etc..

Speaking of over-charge and rip-off, will write about my previous experience.

In the month of August, I got my bike services when the mechanic told me the chain and sprocket needs replacement. I asked him to replace it, but they did not have it in stock (the usual answer when they dont want to do something), so he asked me to get it done after a month.
After a month, I took the bike back to Orion motors and they were ready to replace. I told him this is not for service, only repair.
While taking the bike, the service supervisor told me it would take 1500/- to replace the parts, I was fine with it.
- He checked the engine oil and it was almost dry. Surprising, after a month of service, engine oil is almost dry.
- No Problem, I asked him to refill the oil - Synthetic oil - 900/-
- My front tyre was not running free so I asked him to check that as well.
- I asked him to get the rear break shoe replaced as it was due.

Since this was a minor repair and I had already taken an appointment a day before, the service supervisor said it would take 2 hours to get the job done. I sat at the customer lounge to take my bike after the work was done.
I was there in the service center at 9:30am and most of the mechanics arrived after 11:00am, so obviously, the work started after waiting for 2 hours and me showing a little disappointment.
After 4 hours I get my bike with a bill of 4000/-.
I could see my bike getting repaired and they charged me for servicing, labor and what not. I was very frustrated seeing the bill but on the other hand, wanted my bike to be troublefree and did not want to see the service center people faces anymore. I moved out.
Later I noticed that the front wheel was still not free + the meter light stopped working after getting the bike from the service center.

I called to lodged a complaint with Yamaha India to which they said a complaint will be lodged and they will let me know.
After 2 days I started facing issues in my bike again, so I called Yes.Yamaha to know the status of my complaint, and surprised to know that no such complaint existed.
After a lot of argument, a complaint was lodged.
I got a call form the Orion Motors and "Sethuraam" the Store manager called me to the service center and promised he will address the issues. After reaching the service center, the whole story changed. The manager started thrash talking asking me why did I raise a complaint with Yamaha.

I asked him that the bike was not serviced, howcome you charge me 425/- for service?
He asked a mechanic to take the bike inside and check if it was serviced or not, without allowing me to see. Now what kind of inspection is this? However, I peeped and saw that they are busy cleaning the spark plug and after a couple of minutes bring the spark plug to me and show that it is clean, so service is done.
I was like this is cheating from most trusted people. I did not want to get down to their level of argument so not wasting my time, I left the service center. Sethuram asked me to sign somewhere agreeing that my issue was resolved, but I denied. I told him I will talk to Yes.Yamaha about this and get it resolved as Orion motors had worst people than that in Gujri.

Irony is, after returning I called Yes.Yamaha and explained them the issue, they closed the case and disconnected my call. I am unable to call them anymore, just got a confirmation through email that my issue is resolved so complaint has been closed.
Old 17th September 2013, 16:27   #2
BHPian

re: Yamaha FZ-S: Unhappy with part quality / replacements & after-sales service

Hi there. Most of the points about the dishonesty at the SVC is what I agree to. But I don't subscribe to those 10 pointers you listed.
They're mainly consumables, most of them.

Brakes (pads/shoes), sprockets, clutch plates, tires etc depend upon your riding style + riding conditions. What can Yamaha do here?
Any bike's foot-peg would snap if it falls at an awkward angle bringing the entire weight on it!

P.S - A Hayabusa requires a tire change (front+rear) every 7-8 k kms. And it needs a sprocket kit change every 10-11k kms. By your logic, its is the most inferior bike.

Regarding the SVC, see if the matter can be escalated, else drop it. Swallow your anger and find a private mech to attend to your steed.
Old 17th September 2013, 16:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Hi there. Most of the points about the dishonesty at the SVC is what I agree to. But I don't subscribe to those 10 pointers you listed.
They're mainly consumables, most of them.

Brakes (pads/shoes), sprockets, clutch plates, tires etc depend upon your riding style + riding conditions. What can Yamaha do here?
Any bike's foot-peg would snap if it falls at an awkward angle bringing the entire weight on it!

P.S - A Hayabusa requires a tire change (front+rear) every 7-8 k kms. And it needs a sprocket kit change every 10-11k kms. By your logic, its is the most inferior bike.

Regarding the SVC, see if the matter can be escalated, else drop it. Swallow your anger and find a private mech to attend to your steed.
Hi,

I have owned a Karizma, an RX100, a CBZ, a Pulsar myself. So I know which part needs replacement after how much time particularly. Obviously, my riding style is not very unique. I am not cribbing about the break pads and shoes+tyres, I just mentioned them in the list.

A Hayabusa requires a sprocket kit change because it has a heavy engine. Heavy engine = more load on the chains. Similarly a Hero Honda CD 100, does not require a sprocket or chain change even after 50K.

Do not get into unreasonable comparisons just for the sake of it.
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 16:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
OT : The sprocket kit on busa will last at-least 20K Miles with proper maintenance . Owners have reported up-to 35 K Miles with stock kit .

I suggest its not worth banging your head with A$$ . Find a private mechanic and things and life of your vehicle will improve .
black12rr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 17:06   #5
BHPian

I can understand your anger on Yamaha based on your bad experience with Orion. I will suggest find next escalation level and shoot a mail to them. However please understand most of the things you have mentioned are consumable items and will perish based on the kind of usage excluding the handlebar/footpegs but then they seem to have broken due to bike fall.

Another alternative for you can be find a competent mechanic who can service your bike in front of you and you can source the parts yourself so that you are 100% sure about the genuine parts being used.
Old 17th September 2013, 17:56   #6
BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ-S: Unhappy with part quality / replacements & after-sales service

The "Consumable" items, ofcourse everybody knows it is.... but I hope you understand difference between "Easily consumable" and "Consumable".
Old 17th September 2013, 18:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
The "Consumable" items, ofcourse everybody knows it is.... but I hope you understand difference between "Easily consumable" and "Consumable".
Perhaps will like to understand from you on their difference, I am somehow not able to understand your sarcasm here.
Old 17th September 2013, 18:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Perhaps will like to understand from you on their difference, I am somehow not able to understand your sarcasm here.
Consumable is the whole bike. Do you think a bike will long 100 years? No, but if you find yourself replacing most of the parts at 32K, it is easily consumable.

I have had other bikes also, but this one has taken me on a real ride.
Old 17th September 2013, 18:35   #9
BHPian

My brother too faced similar issue's with his Yamaha R15, after bearing it's irritant for more than an year he came up with the permanent solution and he is very happy with it.
Old 17th September 2013, 19:17   #10
BHPian

They charged me for replacing disk oil worth Rs. 50, but labor charges is Rs.160/- can you beat that? After that the issue is still not resolved and now asking me to change the complete disk set.

And about the meter light, they say it is an electrical part which can go wrong anytime, even if it is in the service center. Do they hold no responsibility towards a customer's bike when it is in their house?
Old 17th September 2013, 19:38   #11
BHPian

Googleman I agree with what you have to say.
1.In 32k kms even if I am counting it more, the disc pads shouldn't have been changed more than 2 times.

2. As far as the chain+sprocket is concerned, giving you a comparison of my Dazzler vs the Unicorn, the Dazzler has open chain(no chain cover like the Unicorn) so its chain and sprocket take the hit of dust,grime,water,small pebbles directly and so the wear and tear is more as compared to bikes with chain covers.
My friend's Unicorn hasn't needed this replacement even after 48k kms. But on my Dazzler I think I will have to replace it by 16 or 17k kms.
So, blame this on the open chain setup. It's normal, don't worry.

3.Air Filter once in 32k kms is also fine IMO.

I am not commenting about the tyres cuz its subjective to one's use and the footrest must be due to the bike falling at an angle at which the footrest couldn't take the fall.

Finally, I would like so say that each company has some traits which are there with them since their inception. To give some examples,
Bajaj - 2-3 years after ownership problems like engine vibration,electrical problems and other mechanical problems etc. tend to crop up.
Yamaha - Right since RX100's time , Yamaha's bikes are infamous for rusting problem. This attributes to inferior quality of the metal. Even today I have seen this in so many FZs, all have their monoshocks rusted alongwith rusting on the handle bar etc.

-Bhargav
Old 17th September 2013, 19:57   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have a '12 Yamaha Fazer which has done about 16.5k kms. I changed my disc pads and rear brake shoe once. The rear tyre I got it changed but that was due to a road side mechanics fault. If you go
Through my ownership review I have mentioned the problems I faced as the svc's in pune were unable to diagnose my swing arm
Bush problem which just needed lubrication. I was cheated by Phadke yamaha but after lodging a complaint on the yamaha website the issue was resolved within 36 hours by monarch yamaha.I was delighted as I Neva expected such a good response. About sprockets I was told that I will have to replace them but then suvarnrekha yamaha checked it and said they can go on as I get my chain lubed every 500kms and in rains even lesser. Apart from the swing arm bush never Eva was I disappointed with yamaha's service. Yes we have cheaters like Phadke yamaha in pune.
But svc's like suvarnrekha yamaha restore our trust in yamaha. I would suggest write down on the yamaha website explaining them the whole issue an post a link of this thread. I am sure they would help you out.
For your future services find a trusted mechanic and when you need to change parts get them
From yamaha svc. You would save on the labour and can get things done your way.
All the best!
Old 18th September 2013, 00:30   #13
BHPian

I sent Yamaha emails, called them and what not. They are totally dependent on the dealers. If dealers are not ready to help, Yamaha is going to turn a blind eye.

I do not want to waste my time posting things on their website or lodging consumer case for cheating etc..

Just jotting my experience, so that working people like me can save themselves from the harassment. People who have time may not mind any kind of behavior from anyone.
Old 18th September 2013, 07:18   #14
BHPian

I have a Karizma too. Now for consumables,

1. Air filter - replacement required every 10k kms. That means 3 times in 32k kms.
2. Spark plug - replacement required every 12k kms. That means 2 times in 32k kms with a replacement due soon.
3. Chain sprocket - totally depends on use + maintenance. I changed mine at 20k as I'd removed the chain cover. Put it back and running the second set since.
4. Brake pads - depends upon usage. I'm on 3rd set of front pads already, rear are still stock. Mind you, karizma pads are costly, 1200 for each pad.
5. Running on mineral oil - change every 1800-2000 kms. SS oil - 3k, FS - 4k at max.
6. Tires - Swapped the rear tires with Pirelli Sport Demon at 16k due to its bad grip issues. But PSD being soft compound wore out in 10k kms.

Regarding the exorbitant SVC labor charges, there is just one solution. A private mech.
In case of bleeding the brakes where they charged you 160 for labor, they would say that it requires a lot of work for disassembling the disc assembly, bleed the lines and ensure that there's no air lock. And it does take 15-20 min in doing it perfectly.
Either you learn a few DIY stuff like changing engine oil, air filter, spark plugs, brake lines bleeding etc by yourself or find a competent private mech.
I stopped visiting the SVC after free services were over and do most of the stuff myself.
Old 18th September 2013, 08:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Googleman, i have faced similar rip off labor charges with Bajaj too. So its not just the case of Yamaha.

FZ is not a complicated bike, so you can get it serviced easily outside the service center too. I started doing this with my pulsar when the service charges at the BASS started crossing 1500 Rupees for a service + oil change.

The 160Rs labor for changing the brake disc oil is rip off agreed. Its a simple job. You can do it yourself too!

Parts for the yamaha bikes are easily available at the local spare parts shop.Things like spark plugs, oil seals,air filter,chain-sprocket can be procured without a problem.Ensure that you go to a competant local mechanic. Remember , most of the local mechanics are ameturs and will experiment with the bike. Goto a mechanic who has serviced the new gen range of Yamaha bikes. And you will be a happy man.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th September 2013 at 08:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks