Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:19   #91
BHPian

Re: Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

2. In the rain, the rear brake shoes get extremely sticky and lock suddenly on light application... and they don't unlock when releasing the pedal, either, or until the bike is rolled backwards a few inches - very dangerous, a good way to get rear-ended out on the road, or to loose control on slippery/loose surfaces. Springs and linkage fine - it seems to be an issue of lining material.
I think your brake shoes need replacement based on the symptoms you described - I've experienced the same problem.

The Impulse brake shoes wear out rather quickly and they are hard to source. The Hero Splendor rear brake shoes are fortunately a direct fit though and cost less than a hundred bucks.
airfoil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 01:02   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I think your brake shoes need replacement based on the symptoms you described - I've experienced the same problem.

The Impulse brake shoes wear out rather quickly and they are hard to source. The Hero Splendor rear brake shoes are fortunately a direct fit though and cost less than a hundred bucks.
That's great info re: the Splendor shoes, though it is truly pathetic that a bike with so much greater performance is limited to such a tiny brake. Anyway, there are a number of parts interchanges for the Impulse (front brake pads are the same as some Pulsar or the other, I discovered).

BRAKES: When it came to the sticking (which was there particularly in damp/rainy weather), what I needed to do was to disassemble the brakes, remove the shoes (still plenty of lining there), and the actuating shaft, which I found to be absolutely dry / devoid of lubrication. Greased and reinstalled, roughed up the brake shoes with some sandpaper, reassembled, and they were better than new. Hero must've forgotten to grease that shaft at the factory. It truly was bone-dry, as though it'd never had any lube on it ever. Brakes are perfect now.

CARB: In other news, have (permanently, I think) swapped in the Unicorn 25/26mm carb (basically a direct-fit) after having modded the throttle slide by adding an extra vacuum port in the bottom (Impulse had two originally, the Uni only one). I felt it superior to what I was getting with the CBZ pumper-carb, whose loud, crackly pod-filter sound I also detested vs. the Impulse's airbox's slightly modded, deep and throaty roar. And I must say, the performance improvement over the original is very noticeable. A lot more low-end grunt, very responsive, without seeming to have any significant loss on the top-end. Probably could still perfect my jetting a bit, but it isn't far off. The formerly irritating 1st-2nd gear ratio gap is a lot less pronounced now, as a result. A LOT more fun to ride this bike now, just because I don't have to rev it like mad to keep it moving along. Uphill, it used to lose power below 4,500rpm, and fall absolutely flat below 4,000, requiring a downshift. Much, much better now, down to 3,000 under the same conditions, or sometimes even lower. Just great. The original 28mm Keihin was just ridiculously oversized for a 150cc bike, and though CV carbs are more forgiving re: mis-sizing, there must be limitations. Old carb was the second thing (besides the rear brake) that used to stick in damp/wet weather, and this Unicorn carb doesn't ever. Couldn't be happier. I just spent about 13 hours on-road in some very vigorous hill-riding down to the plains and back, including some time on some very bad/broken/gravelly stretches; the bike managed 44kmpl on the way down, and 38kmpl on that very brisk, throttle-happy (50kmph average speed), nonstop run back, with a lot of uphill (a couple km's straight-up climb in altitude).

21-er wheel: Thirdly, finally got around (six years after I had it plastic-wrapped at the airport on the outside of my suitcase (since it wouldn't fit inside)) to lacing up and installing the 21" front wheel, complete with the "Golden Boy (a.k.a Shinko) 244" 2.75x21 tyre, quite a well-rated tyre abroad, which cost me under $30 U.S. Great performance dirt cheap - can't go wrong there. The original CEAT still had tread, but horrible cracks in the sidewall (which had started not long out of the showroom) had already produced three or four sidewall punctures in the past 18 months, most inconveniently en route to Tso Moriri on dark night...

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20170926_18352401.jpg

I'd brought the rim, and a friend the tyre, over here long before the Enfield Himalayan intro'd 21's to the Indian market (they were plentiful in Nepal from long back). I'd intended it originally for the offroad-modded KB-RTZ, but never could find (or get made) the right length spokes to mate the bare alloy rim I'd brought to my original Bajaj brake drum; And then I bought the Impulse in the meantime. Always felt it would be about right for the latter, comparing it to similarly sized/weighted bikes abroad, but same issue with spokes. Used a spoke-length calculator to figure out what I’d need, but the places in Karol-Bagh who could make them wouldn’t do a batch of less than several hundred, which of course I’d never be able to use. Could’ve sourced them from China, but doubted the quality and they were expensive vs. what spokes cost here. Figured out (from the spoke length calculator) that if I laced the wheel “1x” (note photo)

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20170926_185115cr.jpg

instead of the original, standard “3x”, I’d be able to use the original spokes from the Impulse’s 19” wheel on the 21”. Sourced a new set of spokes from Hero, but they never could get the nipples, so that held me up another year or more. The original KB spokes have the same 3.5mm nipple threads, and finally I had to buy a box of 100 spokes from a Karol Bagh supplier (only Rs200) to get them. Laced it up and trued it last week, and finally got it mounted up a few days back. Some doubts as to how it might, with this alternative lacing, over-stress the hub, and so won’t recommend this to anyone, but am currently testing it. In three days, some rough roads, so far, so good!

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20170926_185138.jpg

I was unsure enough about how it would work out that I didn’t want to disassemble the original Impulse rim. As it turns out, the Pulsar hub is dimensionally the same in terms of the spoke-circle diameter, width, etc. Trouble was that the Impulse disc-mount attaches to the hub with five studs, whereas the Bajaj uses six… something I didn’t realize till I actually tried to mount it. Fortunately the Pulsar disc is the same diameter / spacing from the hub as the Impulse’s, so I was able to just use the entire hub/brake assembly from the Bajaj; the caveat being that the disc is thicker, and thus if I had fresh, thick brake pads in the Impulse caliper, would not fit between them. Fortunately my pads are half-worn…!!! :-) I’ll have to see about a thinner disc that will mount to the same spacer/hub. I’m going to guess maybe one of the Discover models would have one. A petal-type would reduce weight considerably vs. the thick Pulsar unit, as well.

Effects:

1) Softer ride, perhaps as much from the newer, softer, thicker tread as from the increased diameter;
2) Definitely handles perpendicular sharp edges of potholes, abrupt curb / drain-like obstacles better / smoother. I could ride over logs with this thing.
3) Bit more “gyro-effect” which is to be expected. It isn’t going to turn as quickly, but it feels very solid / planted, both on and off road.
4) Geometry would’ve been effected a bit (more rake angle), also contributing to this effect.
5) More ground clearance, which will increase even more if I could get the original 110/80 back on the rear (or better the Himalayan’s 120?/80) vs. the MRF Moto-D 100/80 that was the only thing available when I was forced to replace pre-Ladakh-ride. This would get the geometry back to original, as well.
6) The gloriously named Korean “Golden Boy” grips the edges of pavements and any loose / slick stuff much better than the original CEAT, which was really more of a road-oriented tyre. I think that once I’m accustomed to the slight handling differences, I’m going to feel much more confident on this than on the original (quite a number of my spills on various bikes over the years have been caused by the front tyre washing out on turns when pushed too hard). And surprisingly it isn’t as noisy as the CEAT either. Seems just fine on-road, though I haven’t tried to push it yet.
7) Headlight aim is high, and not enough adjustment to get it as low as it should be now. With the 55/60W installed (great upgrade in itself, which I will also not recommend as I’m not sure it won’t degrade the reflector / damage wiring / switchgear in time), I am blinding oncoming drivers, something I have always hated to have done to me and have always sought to avoid doing to others (the Golden Rule there). Going to have to disassemble the front fairing and see how I can mod the mountings or whatever to get it aimed right.
8) Looks: Well, the MRF rear tyre was already looking a little slender vs. the original, and having this 21” proud, anodized aluminum unit thrusting itself out front hasn’t helped at all. Really need to see if I can source something taller for the rear (4.10x17 IRC / Duro of same tread pattern would be great), and preferably a matching alloy back there, too.
9) Mudguard clearance: I’d had doubts, but no issues whatsoever.

Overall I’m satisfied, and would consider this a worthy upgrade for me considering my usual commute…

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20170928_134501.jpg

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20170927_091947.jpg

Some may have wondered whether the Himalayan rim could be likewise adapted and of course it could, but I’d have concerns about its weight and the potential to unbalance the bike, being that it’s a steel unit. Even more so if the RE hub is also used, which is a lot more substantial too. On offroad bikes especially, keeping unsprung weight (tyres, rims, brakes, spokes, and anything else not supported by the suspension) to a minimum is highly desirable.

I'd still like to have a softer / adjustable rear shocker, and the rear tyre sizing is too small now... and I'd like to fit a free-flow silencer and maybe mill the cylinder head for a better compression ratio... but as far as the bike's more irritating quirks are concerned, they've pretty much been resolved now, and I'm finally feeling like the bike is getting just about sorted out. It only took three years!!!

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 29th September 2017 at 01:32.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 03:03   #93
Senior - BHPian

SUB - Sport Utility Bike!

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20180724_16471001.jpeg

Found some fallen trees in the river at least a half-km from the nearest jeep-able path... so this was the best way to shuttle our firewood through the forest to the Marshal. Not cold enough for fires yet, but the early bird gets the worm, as they say. I had bigger loads on it than this a couple times - this was heavy, wet wood.

A great machine...

But not quite invincible (hit a rock or two - oops).

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20180726_14071201.jpeg

I'm gonna say the shift lever is over-built, and should be weaker so as to bend before the shaft would break. A friend tells me that some of the vintage racers drill holes in the lever to weaken it, for that reason - so maybe I'll try that when I get around to replacing the shaft.

Had to click it up into second gear with my Leatherman tool and ride home that way. Next day, a little jugaad - for the time being:

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-img_20180726_18142901.jpeg

Not quite the pull of a 500, but still liking this little bike... quick enough if you don't mind thrashing it a bit. And it's just as smooth being thrashed as at any other time.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 3rd August 2018 at 03:06.
ringoism is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 03:25   #94
BANNED

Now that is a splendid motorcycle you have there especially with the mods.

Plus it makes sense going for a smaller venturi carburetor, though I'm a bit skeptical about drilling the vacuum piston, is there a difference in the way the slide drops when you manually lift and release it? As you can imagine what worries me is undue wear and tear, same goes for shortening return spring.

Thank you for the drilling the shifter bit, would give it a try next time. Makes sense to carry a spare in your tool box as well.

Cheers.
A.P.
Old 25th November 2018, 22:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

I've been wanting to do this since the bike was new:

Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse-wp_20181122_23_42_17_pro.jpg

...since any bike - but especially a dual-sport/dirt bike - without a kill switch is just plain dumb/dangerous and this was a bad omission on Hero's part...

This one a RE piece. Took some rewiring / jugaad over a few hours' time, but I will feel a lot better having it. I still need to change the twist-grip as the Impulse's return "detent" doesn't match the new switch housing's interior. All works but no "stop" on the idle end of the travel.

Quite possibly if one went through the Minda catalog / stock, some part number could be found that would be a more direct fit.

I hate cutting into factory wiring and for the most part was able to avoid it here, though wiring from the new switchgear was cut/modified as the connector differs from the corresponding Hero one.

While I was at it, wired things for DRL - so the actual light switch is inoperable now, lights always on, and the only wiring connections required were for the kill switch / self-starter.

Meanwhile, while the bike's running generally well, it remains relatively underpowered and moreover with 25,000km's done is consuming quite a lot of lube oil (just about ran it dry a couple times on account), so it needs new piston rings at minimum. The need for constant high revs to pull up these inclines cannot be helping longevity.

Need to decide whether to just leave it standard bore and bump compression ratio and/or advance the cam a bit (it is just so silky smooth with that tiny, lightweight std. OE piston), or else to do a big-bore or (ultimately) a Karizma engine transplant, of which there's one such very nice converted example running around - saw it in action out in Spiti with pillion and must say it provided a much less shrill, much more relaxed ride... I think that make it an affordable, true do-everything bike, at the expense of a little fuel consumption...

Will be mulling over all that this winter out in Mizoram, and maybe get to that project in the Spring.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 25th November 2018 at 22:41.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 00:32   #96
BANNED

Quote:
...since any bike - but especially a dual-sport/dirt bike - without a kill switch is just plain dumb/dangerous and this was a bad omission on Hero's part...

I hate cutting into factory wiring and for the most part was able to avoid it here, though wiring from the new switchgear was cut/modified as the connector differs from the corresponding Hero one.
Would love to go for a similar mod on the CT100B, if it's not much trouble could you go into the details of wiring the engine kill switch.

Now I have a single slider for Turning the HL On(Low) then slide up for high, thinking of adding a switch set with a kill switch, I could wire the HL On/Off trigger for High/Low and then the starter switch can be wired to be a pass-switch as the motorcycle lacks one.

BTW, I'm stupid when it comes to electricals, so all the specific details would help.
Old 28th November 2018, 00:05   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Would love to go for a similar mod on the CT100B, if it's not much trouble could you go into the details of wiring the engine kill switch.

Now I have a single slider for Turning the HL On(Low) then slide up for high, thinking of adding a switch set with a kill switch, I could wire the HL On/Off trigger for High/Low and then the starter switch can be wired to be a pass-switch as the motorcycle lacks one.

BTW, I'm stupid when it comes to electricals, so all the specific details would help.
As I said, I wired the headlights to be always on... parking lamp, too. So for that just cut the corresponding wires right near the connector, joined and soldered them together (instead of their proceeding as usual to the switch).

Kill switch technically should be wired between power and ignition coil (or CDI lead specified for that purpose) so that the rest of the systems like horn, parking lights / brake light and whatever else runs off the battery would still be on, but engine shut off. I'd started wiring it that way but didn't really like the area I was being forced to make the connections, and saw that the ignition switch itself had only two leads, so wired it in there instead. Meaning everything shuts down when I turn off the handle switch.

In all this, wire colors and connectors could differ if you're adapting a switch from another bike, so basically you need a test light to find which leads are "hot" (batt +), also a continuity meter/light to know which wires in the switch harness correspond to which switch functions. It can be a bit of a pain and sometimes you've got to stop and think a little, but it's not all that difficult really.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 19:55   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Kill switch technically should be wired between power and ignition coil (or CDI lead specified for that purpose) so that the rest of the systems like horn, parking lights / brake light and whatever else runs off the battery would still be on, but engine shut off. I'd started wiring it that way but didn't really like the area I was being forced to make the connections, and saw that the ignition switch itself had only two leads, so wired it in there instead. Meaning everything shuts down when I turn off the handle switch.
Have considered the idea as the ignition line is easy to tap on my motorcycle, compared to the technically right option.

Though is satisfies the need to kill the motor while descending steep rocky declines so that I could get to substitute the rear brake with the clutch without having to take my hand off the bar, it still leaves room for mishap as the electrical's would be dead as well and I'd end up being a stuck sheep in one of those sticky situations where visibility is compromised and you'd need to alert oncoming riders/jeepers to slow down.

Learnt this the hard way as I was running without a battery for the past couple of months.

Since the wiring diagram is unavailable for my motorcycle I'm currently stuck but I guess it won't hurt to go by your method of testing the lines to the CDI for 12v supply and wire a switch in between once I target the right wire.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 11:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Need to decide whether to just leave it standard bore and bump compression ratio and/or advance the cam a bit (it is just so silky smooth with that tiny, lightweight std. OE piston), or else to do a big-bore or (ultimately) a Karizma engine transplant
What are your thoughts on expected Xpulse 200
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
What are your thoughts on expected Xpulse 200
I wouldn't call it OT really, I suppose that a lot of my labors have been related to attempted improvements which, hopefully, Hero has also moved towards here.

But short answer to your short question: Too little, too late.

I found it super-odd that the last thing I heard about the project was that Hero was going to take a public vote and let supposed customers decide whether they would launch a street/dual-sport/retro/other version of it. Which says to me that Hero is still completely clueless, and that nothing has changed since the Impulse's launch. Who on earth is running this company, and why should they have to ask what people want, when so many have been screaming for it all along?

Supposing the dual-sport version could actually transpire finally, I'm feeling at this point as though 200cc will be inadequate. People want to be able to tour two-up with luggage out in Ladakh. Or they want to do an all-India coastal tour. Minimalist solo adventure riding aside, that's the image, that's the dream of the masses. The Himalayan may not be the perfect tool, but it's generally powerful enough at least, and the image is there, and apart from general capability, image sells bikes here to large measure. At least if they're reliable!!!

So we're sitting here seven years after the Impulse 150 launch. If that bike should've been fitted with Hero's existing 225cc motor - as was generally agreed by enthusiasts /would-be buyers - then as highways have quickly progressed / improved and speeds proportionately increased, 200cc is failing to keep up, and effectively moving in the wrong direction.

The original 150 CBZ came out in 2002 maybe? And the 225 Karizma a couple years after? Hardly anybody in 2019 is going to jump on a 200cc XPulse and ride from Mumbai to Manali - it would be getting near to suicidal at this point, it would just not maintain highway speeds with safety, even if stability and braking were up to the task. And though it may manage two-up at lower speeds Ladakh, a mildly-tuned 200cc isn't going to do it that easily. In the current context, something in the 280-350cc range for a lightweight, efficient, all-purpose tourer might seem about right: could manage 100kmph highway runs and have some torque to plug away through through the wilderness and high-altitude deserts. Something cheaper, simpler, more rough-track biased than a Versys 300 or BMW, perhaps? For me, all it would take would be an off-the-shelf 300cc big-bore kit for the Karizma mill, that hung in an Impulse frame with some suspension upgrades. Something like this engineered / produced properly at the factory could easily be offered under 1.5L I'd think.

As one more enhanced commuter bike the 200cc Xpulse might do its duties faithfully, but at this point I don't see it capturing significant interest / market share, and I doubt it would be improved enough for my own hill riding that I'd consider replacing the Impulse with it.

Just my opinion.

Maybe a fringe element like UM could drop their quite nice 300cc liquid-cooled engine in a dual-sport frame (of which scores of existing models are available off-shelf from China/Taiwan) and give us something truly usable / versatile at a reasonable price. But there they've got branding issues... Hero had that much, at least, going for it, and could've capitalized on that.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 2nd January 2019 at 22:43.
ringoism is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:17   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe a fringe element like UM could drop their quite nice 300cc liquid-cooled engine in a dual-sport frame (of which scores of existing models are available off-shelf from China/Taiwan) and give us something truly usable / versatile at a reasonable price. But there they've got branding issues... Hero had that much, at least, going for it, and could've capitalized on that.
If memory serves right UM did fork up something with a replica Karizma/CRF230 223cc motor a while ago.

Though I guess they were positioned as cruisers and never really hit Indian shores in spite of rumours.
Old 3rd January 2019, 19:34   #102
BHPian

Quote:

But short answer to your short question: Too little, too late.

Just my opinion.

-Eric
I was eagerly waiting for your valuable 'opinion'. I agree with what you say. I went through your complete impulse thread recently for the umpteenth time. Reason being that I was very much impressed by the Himalayan and I was arranging for a friend's Himalayan to be with me for an extended period of time. It was a planned long TD. Your thread was read to remind myself of what look for in a dual sport or adv. My impression on the Himalayan aside, When I read through your thread I developed a lot of interest for Xpulse. Was seeing all the improvements you did and comparing it with Xpulse.

Finally I watched a run of the mill Xtreme 200 acceleration video something like 0-top speed kind of video. to see how inferior that engine is compared to my current ride (Pulsar AS200). Whatever may be the positives of the Xpulse, I thought that the engine is too weak for me. That's why I ended up asking you my question. Thanks for your words.
Old 6th January 2019, 17:46   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If memory serves right UM did fork up something with a replica Karizma/CRF230 223cc motor a while ago.

Though I guess they were positioned as cruisers and never really hit Indian shores in spite of rumours.
After writing the last post, I had a look through the threads for UM stuff, somewhere there found a link to an article maybe (?) indicating UM's plans for a dual-sport in India - even had a (small) picture of one!!! Don't know if they're still on track for that, but it would be interesting to be sure.

I hope the brand ultimately survives... if only for the sake of variety and something a little out of the ordinary.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 21:29   #104
BANNED

Quote:
It can be a bit of a pain and sometimes you've got to stop and think a little, but it's not all that difficult really.
So after a bit of thinking and researching I've finally landed on two easy means of properly wiring an engine kill switch.

1. Float the IC Ground(Easiest and Most Practical).

Wire a switch in between the ignition coil ground, so when switch is OFF the motorcycle cant fire.

2. Ground the Pulser Coil(Interesting).

Wire a switch such that one end connects to the line from the Pulser coil and the other end goes to the chassis, so when the switch is ON the CDI would not be able to pickup signal from the Pulser coil, hence won't fire.

Or you could simply connect the switch between the Pulser coil wiring, so that the motor won't fire when switch is OFF, though not as interesting.

This is how the engine kill switch is wired on classic motorcycles on which even if the engine kill is enabled the starter motor would crank but the motor won't fire.

The upside is you won't have to pull the distributor cap when you need to do a load test on the battery, downside is if you're silly like me then you'd be flooding the motor once in a while.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 16th January 2019 at 21:55.
Old 16th January 2019, 23:36   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Float the IC Ground(Easiest and Most Practical).
Hold that thought a bit, a new doubt has popped up when discussing with a friend.

Concern is whether floating the IC's ground would fry the IC or CDI, in which case it would be best for me to try this out first hand before giving the GO!

Already got myself a handle-bar mountable switch, will test it out after an upcoming ride to Madurai this weekend and post results by next weekend.

P.S. Reason for not considering wiring switch between live wire to IC is to prevent unnecessary resistance(as we're not 100% certain about the quality of these 60/- switches), though it is a sure shot way of getting the job done.

Cheers.
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 16th January 2019 at 23:39.

Most Viewed