Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 08:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200

Where did you get hose handle bar grips on your RX? Please PM me the cost.

FYI...

I am restoring a 88 RX 100 and a 99 RX 135 tiger. RX 100 has reached the last leg of restoration, some cosmetic stuff pending. Tiger is stripped down to the last bolt last weekend, Took a TT Shot after that . Its expected to go for sandblasting and powder coating by tomorrow. Re assembly likely by weekend.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 12:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

SnS-

Beautiful restoration and deeply saddened to see that it is dead again.

Really hope and pray you can get the beautiful machine on road soon.

Did the RD meet with any accident as I could see a dented side panel?

Also, what was the restoration project cost worth till date?
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 13:08   #33
BHPian

Bikes look amazing !!

If I may ask you, can you post a 0-60 and 0-100 timing if at all you do it?
Blue_V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 14:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
On the Ninja, the 650 had to make way for the bigger Ninja (14R mostly), which I plan to buy in the later part of the year.
Excellent thread there SnS, and glad to see that you have stuck to your passion over the years and making the most of your Vitamin 'M' !!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
You can be rest assured that I am never going to part ways from any of my Yamaha's
Hats off to you! I am seriously at a loss for words here. The story of your "teen Yamaha deviyaan" is just... amazing. Just the thought of the time and money and effort that you spent on your bikes boggles the mind.
I wish you many kilometers of riding bliss on your beauties, and may they stay in good health for many years to come.
Oh I am such a sucker for happy endings.

PS: Your thread also told me about the Mumbai mini-meet, and I will try my darnedest to make it for one soon. I would love to meet you, and see the RD 200 in the, um, metal. You don't have to worry about me asking you for a ride, cuz I never learnt to ride a bike.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 1st July 2014 at 18:21.
TheLizardKing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 19:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Whoa man. Seriously. Thats some passion. Loved reading every bit of it.

My only experience of a RD has been the 350. Sat on it with my friend riding it, no foot rests, no grab rails, one hand full of NIIT's heavy books and one hand clutching my friends shirt and trying not to fall off. Scary. I refused to sit on it again in that condition. Sadly, i never got the chance to ever sit on a RD again.

and here you have 2 RDs, that too such rare ones that many of us were not even aware that they existed. Great stuff man. Where in Mumbai are you put up? Would definitely love to meet up and get some restoration tips.

Cheers,
Raj

Last edited by Desmosedici : 1st July 2014 at 19:38.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Where did you get hose handle bar grips on your RX? Please PM me the cost.

FYI...

I am restoring a 88 RX 100 and a 99 RX 135 tiger. RX 100 has reached the last leg of restoration, some cosmetic stuff pending. Tiger is stripped down to the last bolt last weekend, Took a TT Shot after that . Its expected to go for sandblasting and powder coating by tomorrow. Re assembly likely by weekend.

Pramod

Hi, couldn't actually figure out the PM/email feature, so I am responding back over here. The grips are the ones used on the Karizma. If you're taking about the bar ends with the tuning fork logo, then they were purchased from the Yamaha showroom and they costed me around 600.

Would love to see the RX pics. The 88 RX 100 should be a Japanese make if I am not wrong..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
SnS-

Beautiful restoration and deeply saddened to see that it is dead again.

Really hope and pray you can get the beautiful machine on road soon.

Did the RD meet with any accident as I could see a dented side panel?

Also, what was the restoration project cost worth till date?

Well, I guess you haven't read Part 3 of the thread as the bike is up and running again.

On the dented side panel, it was courtesy my RD 125, which all of a sudden one day fell on the 200 at Tony's place, I guess it was jealous that it is still not on the road.

On the cost, I have no idea on the expenditure as I never kept a tab on it, but should be easily over 1.5 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Bikes look amazing !!

If I may ask you, can you post a 0-60 and 0-100 timing if at all you do it?

Thank You! Never actually timed it, but the power is not linear and comes in as it does on an RD HT, that is post 5k rpm it just shoots forward with a loud growl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Hats off to you! I am seriously at a loss for words here. The story of your "teen Yamaha deviyaan" is just... amazing. Just the thought of the time and money and effort that you spent on your bikes boggles the mind.
I wish you many kilometers of riding bliss on your beauties, and may they stay in good health for many years to come.
Oh I am such a sucker for happy endings.

PS: Your thread also told me about the Mumbai mini-meet, and I will try my darnedest to make it for one soon. I would love to meet you, and see the RD 200 in the, um, metal. You don't have to worry about me asking you for a ride, cuz I never learnt to ride a bike.

Thank You! Keeping an RD in good health is always a challenge no matter how much money and quality parts you use.But when they run, you just forget all the nightmares you went through and enter a moment of bliss. Nothing can beat the power and sound of a twin.

On the mini meet, would be good to meet up with all the members, but on a weekday its almost next to impossible for me. Maybe I can catch up with everyone on a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Whoa man. Seriously. Thats some passion. Loved reading every bit of it.

My only experience of a RD has been the 350. Sat on it with my friend riding it, no foot rests, no grab rails, one hand full of NIIT's heavy books and one hand clutching my friends shirt and trying not to fall off. Scary. I refused to sit on it again in that condition. Sadly, i never got the chance to ever sit on a RD again.

and here you have 2 RDs, that too such rare ones that many of us were not even aware that they existed. Great stuff man. Where in Mumbai are you put up? Would definitely love to meet up and get some restoration tips.

Cheers,
Raj

Glad to hear that. The really scary thing about an RD is that there is absolutely nothing to hold at the back on most of the bikes an with that brutal acceleration you have to hold on for your life.

I stay in Borivali and you can drop in whenever you're around, provided I am at home too

Sachin
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
By the way did you pick up the Smiths?
Oh yes I did.Wasn't working though and the glasss was shattered.But yeah I've kept it.I went ahead and bough a Seplica smiths which does duty on my bull.I've also kept some pistons,a left tank pad and the old design gear brake lever for the bull.Hope to find the old "phat"('65 bulls had it I think) front mudguard somehow.

I'm curious,was the bike running perfectly with all those parts that didn't belong to it?I know the feel of a bike lying neglected due to some problems(For me,sourcing the parts plus a lethargic mechanic),sucks doesn't it

Good to see that the 200 is back again.I prefer the second avatar over the first.Don't you like spoked rims?That paintjob on the 125 tank is killler mate,very very welll done.IMO those gold alloys on the RX100 look outta place.Glued to this thread.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 11:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Oh yes I did.Wasn't working though and the glasss was shattered.But yeah I've kept it.I went ahead and bough a Seplica smiths which does duty on my bull.I've also kept some pistons,a left tank pad and the old design gear brake lever for the bull.Hope to find the old "phat"('65 bulls had it I think) front mudguard somehow.

I'm curious,was the bike running perfectly with all those parts that didn't belong to it?I know the feel of a bike lying neglected due to some problems(For me,sourcing the parts plus a lethargic mechanic),sucks doesn't it

Good to see that the 200 is back again.I prefer the second avatar over the first.Don't you like spoked rims?That paintjob on the 125 tank is killler mate,very very welll done.IMO those gold alloys on the RX100 look outta place.Glued to this thread.

Thanks. Well, the bike was running and as mentioned earlier, I rode it to Tony's garage. But everything felt out of place on the bike and I never wanted to take a chance with the bike breaking down on me, so I never rode it again in that condition and we just stripped it down.

On spoke rims, I am not really a big fan of them given our road conditions and the constant maintenance they attract. Maybe you might like the gold alloys when you see them in person specially under the sun

Part 4 (RD 125)

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5031.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5032.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5034.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5035.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5036.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5041.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5044.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5045.jpg

Oil and water mixture that was created over the years

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5046.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5047.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5050.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5055.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5057.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5060.jpg

From left, RD 125 (Both left and right set), RX 100, RX 135, RD 350

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5073.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5076.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5079.jpg

The silencers were completed destroyed due to rusting and water collection in them over the years.

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5081.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5164.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5165.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5167.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-dscf5169.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th July 2014 at 11:24. Reason: Back to back posts.
SnS_12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:19   #40
BHPian

Fantastic stuff mate. I was shocked to read about the first restore but the pictures of the second restore made up for that shock and more. I can't imagine the time it took you to hunt down the parts for a rare bike like this.

Waiting to read the story of the 125. You garage pix were awesome man. Kudos.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 17:43   #41
BHPian

Awesome work !! Esp with the lack of parts and all.. Let me know if you're ever around Bandra. Would love to meet up and check out your ride . my RD is orange too
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 18:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Fantastic stuff mate. I was shocked to read about the first restore but the pictures of the second restore made up for that shock and more. I can't imagine the time it took you to hunt down the parts for a rare bike like this.

Waiting to read the story of the 125. You garage pix were awesome man. Kudos.

Thank you. Well, I had to invest a lot of time indeed to search for the parts, but what I realized in the end is that if you have the money nothing is impossible to get, you only need to know, where to search for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Awesome work !! Esp with the lack of parts and all.. Let me know if you're ever around Bandra. Would love to meet up and check out your ride . my RD is orange too
Thank you. You stay in Bandra? We can definitely plan and meet up someday.
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Just found some videos of the the 200, which were taken after the first rebuild and in the latest avatar. Happy viewing!

SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Some random pics of the 200 and a video of the exhaust growl

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-img_1499.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-img_1500.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-img_1510.jpg

My Barn Finds: Yamaha RD 125 & RD 200-img_1512.jpg

SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 13:33   #45

Hey Sachin

I must have your thread atleast 10 times by now and its such an interesting piece of passion and art combined. Didnt know much about 125 and 200 before this thread but now I have been reading alot about them. Would like to see these bikes in person one day if convenient to you. Lots of good rides to you and cheers to RD Love !!!
MaverickRD350 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks