Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2014, 12:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Honda Activa 125 DLX

I hear that sales of Activa 125 has been damper from the sales manager at Planet Honda-Bangalore, its been moving very slow now compared to other models. I bought it on the day it was released and though I had booked it in early March 2014.

Planet Honda guys said they can deliver Activa 125 within a week when I went there for my 2nd service.

I love the vehicle and the engine is butter smooth coming from Suzuki Access 125.
Suspension is also great as it takes most of the small bangalore road potholes easily.

Only negative is the mileage as I am getting just around 38-40kmpl.
Old 11th October 2014, 13:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I hear that sales of Activa 125 has been damper from the sales manager at Planet Honda-Bangalore, its been moving very slow now compared to other models. I bought it on the day it was released and though I had booked it in early March 2014.

Only negative is the mileage as I am getting just around 38-40kmpl.
You mean you got it in 1st week of May ? Where is this Planet Honda ? Is it Domlur ?

And did you get the Dlx Model, with the Disc. ?

More than a Damper, I heard, Honda itself is manufacturing only couple of thousand Scooter's in a month. Can you shed some light on the reason for damper.
Old 11th October 2014, 14:13   #18
BHPian

I bought the standard edition and not the Disc.

Not many people are interested in Activa 125 rather people are purchasing the regular activa. Might be because of its price.

I got it around 3rd week of May that's when they started the delivery. Mine was the second vehicle to be delivered by that showroom.

Planet Honda, Dr. Rajkumar Road - Rajajinagar.

Sorry, I have not idea about Honda manufacturing.
Old 3rd November 2014, 23:32   #19
BHPian

1000 km Update :

Completed 1000km few days back. Had 1st free service a month after the purchase at around 480km. Running smooth as silk. Absolute joy and stress free to drive. Disc brake is a must. The bite is great by scooter standards and its effortless to manuver in the tightly packed streets without fuss. Hoping to enjoy the stress free riding for a long time

Ownership Review: Honda Activa 125 DLX-20141103_182046.jpg
harsh.m06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 19:22   #20
BHPian

Last, I heard about the Scooter is that the Company has completely stopped the production of Disc Break Model. So, they're offering either Drum Model or refund of the Booking amounts paid. Even the Standard Model has not picked up the Numbers. Still in Single or Double digits only. Any Particular reason ??

You're the Lucky One to get the Disc Version among the few Models available on the Road.
Old 1st December 2014, 15:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Last, I heard about the Scooter is that the Company has completely stopped the production of Disc Break Model. So, they're offering either Drum Model or refund of the Booking amounts paid. Even the Standard Model has not picked up the Numbers. Still in Single or Double digits only. Any Particular reason ??

You're the Lucky One to get the Disc Version among the few Models available on the Road.
Not sure about the stoppage in production of disc brske models. I have seen a few disc brake ones in my city but most of them are standard models. The scooter is pricy for what it offers and since honda is facing severe competition by TVS and Hero in scooter segment, a steeply priced product might attract only a few enthusiastic buyers and not a majority of public.

all thanks to my dad and his sources which got my hands on a disc brake model after a month of wait.
Old 1st December 2014, 15:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think the main culprits in failure of disc brake model or for bad sale of 125cc models are the salesmen.

'Sir, why waste money only for 15cc more? Why do you want disc brake sir? It is very risky and makes people fall. Buy the normal activa 110cc, it is the best.'

After hearing this myself from a Honda salesman, I wondered how many new purchasers will go for 125cc when the salespersons themselves are pushing 110cc.
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
After hearing this myself from a Honda salesman, I wondered how many new purchasers will go for 125cc when the salespersons themselves are pushing 110cc.
You got it Wrong....

Salesperson always push, what is available. Since, the supply of 125CC is constrained, they show up the Negative aspects of the Non available Model.

I've come across, few Sales person, changing stand - for example criticized a particular color and praised the same color after a month, since the color was available after 1 month.

Let Honda supply more Vehicles, then see how the pricier ones also fly off the shelf. And Honda will make more profit in 125 than 110cc. And that brings us to an issue reported by another fellow bhpian as to Quality issues with the Crankcase or some other production issues.
Old 25th January 2015, 13:38   #24

Quote:
Just going off topic for a second here...getting a lot of pushing from friends and family to check out the REs being offered. Oh heavens! Trying to stay logical about stress free driving factor with gearless scooters and not slip into getting owning a RE. Youth! Tch! Tch!
Alas, I've given into the charms of an RE. And have booked B500 and am awaiting it's delivery!!!

I hope the bad experiences many have faced don't make me cancel the B500 too!

Thank you all for helping me out in the maze of gearless scooters.

Quite sad at the seemingly tepid response to Activa 125.

Hopefully someday companies will get around to the simple fact in business

'A Happy Customer Is the Best Asset of a company, next to Happy Employees of course"

Cheers all,

ziffius
Old 27th January 2015, 11:06   #25
BANNED

The review is quite good and has mentioned most of the high points. I too bought one recently for my local utility type of work around my house. The waiting period was quite long. I think it was 2 months at the dealer I booked. Since I did have other 2 wheelers at home it was not that much of a bother for me.

One thing though is to avoid going to the official dealer for servicing. It is a fish market and your scooter will not get adequate attention. It really does not need any intensive servicing and you may find better quality local mechanics if you ask around.

You will of course not get the official service stamp but I think that matters only in case of 4 wheelers. Plus I plan to hold on to this for a few more years so lets see if it makes a difference.

One of the first things I did was to change the oil to a Shell advanced Ultra. I believe its a synthetic oil and a bit expensive at Rs. 820 for 1 Liter. The oil sump holds around 700 or 800 ml only. It takes about 10 km of riding before the new oil circulates into the engine properly but the result is a super smooth engine. Vibrations also seem to have reduced. It will be money well spent.

Oddly the dealer advised me not to use super or power petrol. He did not have any explanation. I thought it may have something to do with the ignition timing.

So I ignored the advise and I started filling Shell super petrol at my local bunk. It has resulted in quicker cold starts and marginally better pick up. I dont think it is going to affect the engine in anyway. But we will see what happens.

The suspension may seem a bit hard for people used to the softer older models but you may try to underinflate the tyres a couple of points. It sometimes helps. I personally like the suspension as it gives very good control and cornering ability. The 12 inch wheel at front is a very good change over previous models. It looks great and helps the scooter stay stable over bad roads.

I was pleasantly surprised to find people actually stopping and asking about my pokey little scooter. A couple of hotel owners near my place asked me all sorts of questions about its power, mileage and cost.

I personally also like the looks of the vehicle. My scooter is a pure white model.

Once, I had stopped for a cup of tea at a road side bakery and a couple of school kids were mighty impressed with the scooters looks. They said that the chrome cladding looks very "macho".

Naturally one cannot let a chance like this go away. So I gave them gyaan on how Honda sends its vehicles to Deepika, Kareena and Katrina asking for their comments and feedback. Then it makes those changes or else the girls will be very upset. They seemed to have bought my story. But anyway I am avoiding that particular bakery for some time now.

Thats it from me.
hangover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
I too bought one recently for my local utility type of work around my house. The waiting period was quite long. I think it was 2 months at the dealer I booked. Since I did have other 2 wheelers at home it was not that much of a bother for me.

My scooter is a pure white model.
First of all - Congrats !!

Is it a Dlx or Standard model? I guess, you've not opted for extended warranty as you're not opting for the ASS. Did you check with the Dealer for the poor show of the Scooter in terms of numbers?
Old 4th February 2015, 11:04   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
First of all - Congrats !!

Is it a Dlx or Standard model? I guess, you've not opted for extended warranty as you're not opting for the ASS. Did you check with the Dealer for the poor show of the Scooter in terms of numbers?
Mine is the standard non disc brake one. No I did not check the number of 125's sold at the dealer (Haiku Honda, Domlur). As others have mentioned the dealer and the service centers are usually crowded like fish markets making conversation about other topics difficult.

Are you concerned about the availability of spare in future? There are enough common components between the 125 and the other models. So there will not be any problems getting replacement parts.

However I see many people still buying the 110 cc model as the waiting period for that is now only a week. I would request them to spend a few thousands extra and get the 125. Its a better vehicle in many ways.

There are a few things that are irritating in the vehicle.

1. The choke lever is tight and since you have to use a lot of effort the surrounding plastic bushing becomes loose. So I put a few drops superglue around it to keep the bushing/beading it in place.

2. Unlocking the seat requires you to lock the handlebar and removing the key. This causes a lot of problems at a) petrol pumps - you cannot hold up the seat and push the scooter along the queue. You have to get to the correct position and only then lock the handle, unlock the seat and fill petrol. b) While buying small items and tossing it into the seat storage you again have to lock the handle to open the seat.

This is all right when you are on a motor cycle; you can be seated and still move towards the pump, but scooters needs better lock interfaces.

My Suggestion to Honda is:
Allow the key to be removed at the second position. There are 3 positions in the ignition.
  • Full lock (engine off, handlebar locked, key removable)
  • Half open (engine off, handlebar unlocked, key non-removable)
  • Full open (engine on, key non-removable)

The Ideal Half open position should be - engine off, handlebar unlocked, key removable.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 17:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Gifted my father an Activa 125 disc after the earlier 'classic Activa' completed a decade of typical Indian family run-about abuse!!

My father started out as a sceptic because he kept saying why buy this as it still looks like his old scooter. Finally after taking delivery and driving it back home he was transformed into a fan!!

His initial observations:

- Loves the front suspension/wheel set up, says he feels far more confident/comfortable tackling Kochi's infamous potholes.

- Excellent brakes, combi brakes + front disc I suppose

- Impressed by the pick up, claims he's usually the first out the block from a traffic stop. At his age I am still unsure if its a good or bad thing.

- Wowed by the digital read out, needle sweep at start etc...gimickry.

- Also likes the alloy wheels.

First Service was a disappointment. Apparently on bringing in his vehicle to EVM Honda my Dad observed that the scooter was handed over to a 'novice' mechanic under supervision. He drove it back after service, but the scooter refused to start the following day. After a conversation over the phone, another EVM mechanic collected the scooter from the house. On delivery later on the same day they accepted it was an error on their side. The scooter has been running well since.

My father says the mileage is only slightly better than the older Activa, but I honestly have no idea how mileage can be measure in Kochi traffic.

Overall, he is very happy with the new possession and says its definitely much better than the standard Activa he was riding all this while.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 16:29   #29
BHPian

Even i am contemplating on buying the Disc brake variant soon.
I enquired about blue color and somehow its in stock with the dealer in my city(Ghaziabad). But going through the thread where some one mentioned that production has been stopped for DLX variant i fear that the scooter dealer is offering must be sitting in the stockyard since long time.
How can i determine the manufacturing date of scooter and what checks should i do at the time of delivery to ensure i do not get a rejected scooter.

harsh.m06 since yours is UP registered can you please give me a breakup of registration amount and ex showroom price. This is just to ensure that i don't get cheated in the way with my HH Hunk in 2008.
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:06   #30
BHPian

I have taken delivery of an Activa 125 DLX last week, I am very happy with its peppy nature and smooth power delivery. I just have a small problem, the odo Trip reset push button is missing from my bike's instrument console, seems like someone might have removed it during/before delivery. The dealer has promised me to resolve the problem, but since last 2 days he has been saying that this particular knob is not available loose. Can anyone give me an idea about it? Is it really not available as a spare? Even if costs me some money, I want it on my bike as it is an integral part of the bike, and there is fear of water entering inside the console without it. Please help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks