Team-BHP - Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/155942-biker-cager-biker-again-my-pre-owned-pulsar-150-a.html)

"Definitely Male" comes home.

Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150-bajajpulsar1501.jpg

This is the first time I will be writing an ownership for a motorcycle. I might be rusted in some terminologies and details, so kindly excuse.

Prologue:
I got the first taste of riding a motorcycle back in 2005 when I purchased my first bike the Honda Unicorn and learnt to ride on it. It was a wonderful experience couple with couple of road trips. Then there was a graduation to the Hero Karizma, which catapulted my road trips to bigger distances culminating with a trip to Kodaikanal with my better half. That ride was the best trip I have ever taken probably 2nd only to the Ladakh drive.

After 2009 I became a car driver or as they say in biker parlance a "cager". Fast forward to 2014 when we sold our Manza and bought home the AT Grand i10, I started to get an itch to ride again.

Current State:
Now what further funneled that itch into determination was the economics of driving an AT which was not satisfying. So the biker in me rose again and I went ahead and got myself a pre-worshiped Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi UG2.

The Search:
First the idea was to buy a CBZ or 1st gen Pulsar that would not cost more than 15k. But after a few searches which yielded very badly maintained bikes. I decided to up the budget and look at 8 - 9 year old machines. Few of the bikes that were tested before zeroing in on my current bike

1. 2005 Pulsar 150 Dtsi: Quoted prices Rs. 22,000
This was the UG1 version with 18" spoke wheels, the bike was not maintained well by the looks of it and it was true on the ride as well, lot of vibrations and engine seemed to strain a lot.

2. 2004 Karizma: Quoted price Rs. 30,000
Yes, I was considering the Karizma once again but seldom 10 year old bikes come with a good track record, this was somewhere in between being good and bad. The ride was good, but a lot of parts would have to be changed, for example, tires, fairing as it was cracked one side, indicators broken, plus the fellow was using KN air filter which I am not sure when it was cleaned. So I again walked away from the deal

3. 2006 Pulsar UG2 180: Quoted price Rs. 27,000
This was the fear the black version, very well maintained, nothing was to be done on the bike except for change of tires, but the owner was adamant on the price, unfortunately I took too much time to decide and this deal went to someone else.

4. 2006 Pulsar UG2 150: Quoted price Rs. 26,000
This bike was advertised in Sulekha and the owner was apparently going abroad, so I landed at his place to test ride. The initial look of the bike was sad, there were bird droppings everywhere plus 1 indicator was broken. I took the test drive and was quite relived to find that the bike rides really well. Battery was recently replaced to an Amaron 7ah. There was some work required such as sorting out the non-working indicators, plus a general service which I somehow worked out to be close to 2k. Having worked up the actual landing cost, quoted the buyer a price of 20k for the bike, which he was not ready so we left the conversation at that.

As faith would have it, in the evening I get a call from him stating if we can come to some middle ground. So we finally settled down on 21,000 after a bit of haggling. Took the bike the next day and it’s been fun ever since.

About the machine:
The machine has been kept well at least the internal engine etc is pretty good, only cosmetically there are some misses and blemishes but I wouldn't complain as it’s an 8 year old machine. The best part is that it has done a genuine 32000 kms only. So I would say the bike is in its mid-30's if I equate it to human life.

Work Done:
The bike was given for a general service with oil change on 29th Sept. I was also able to identify few things on the bike that needed attention, the bike would have worked otherwise as well but I am a little finicky when it comes to having everything perfect. So here is the list of things that were done on the bike.
  1. General service
  2. Engine oil change
  3. Replacing all indicators with clear lens (Left side was not working while right side front was missing, so got all 4 changed)
  4. Changing the headlight dome to UG3 (Current headlamp dome had scratches and I like the new design)
  5. Rear brake shoe change (rear braking was next to nil)
  6. Instrument cluster fixing (RPM needle was not working, along with lights for neutral)
  7. Tail lamp was not working so a bulb change
  8. Cleaning the carb (both the jets) plus checking the shape of the diaphragm as the bike was struggling to go freely beyond 70kph
  9. Changing to normal petrol tap from the current tap lock
  10. Adjusting the tappet clearance as they were making noise
  11. Bike was not starting when in gear so they checked and replace something called a clutch switch

Extras added by Bajaj without me informing them
  1. Polishing charges of 33 bucks

The total expenditure was Rs. 4950, below is the scanned bill of the labor and spare part charges.

Landing Cost of the bike:

So after the service and all the work done, the final landing cost has been broken down below:

2006 Pulsar 150cc DTSi UG2
Kms run 32400
Initial Cost: 21,000
Service: 4950
------------------------
Total Cost: 26,000 approx.
--------------------------

So with the service done and after riding the bike for 200 kms now, here is a small analysis of the same. Since I am used to Honda’s and Hero’s I will be comparing my impressions to the Unicorn and the Karizma as these are the two bikes I have owned and ridden quite a bit.

Engine & Performance:

What I liked?
  1. The initial pickup and speed upto 60kph is pretty impressive, I am guessing the gearing ratios are short
  2. In gear acceleration is pretty good, especially the 3rd gear is real kicker. Breezing through traffic is pretty easy now.
  3. The timing chain noise which is a Bajaj trade mark was initially irritating but not it sounds nice
  4. The exhaustec exhaust note is very addictive and sounds really nice.
  5. The bike is pretty frugal, I had filled up full tank about 13 liters on 26th and still after 200 kms the fuel is there till the bottom end of the tank lock as seen after opening the lock. Rough estimates puts my calculation at more than 40kpl but let’s wait and see.
  6. Cold start in the morning is just one crank affair, I guess this goes more towards the battery which was recently replaced. But there is no sputtering or coughing from the engine in the morning start.

What I did not like?
  1. The engine does not feel relaxed like a Honda, and feels strained when revved hard.
  2. After the service the bike does hit the ton, but it’s pretty labored.
  3. Even after the tappet adjustments there is a “tick tick” noise that I can hear I wonder what could that be.
  4. Having short gear ratios makes even the 5th gear feel like a 4th and sometimes I end up checking the gear again.

Ride & Handling:

What I liked?
  1. When cornering the bike feels planted and does not feel light and flimsy. Here the unicorn was a letdown as it felt taller and did not inspire confidence
  2. In traffic the bike is pretty flickable and having a short turning radius helps in U-turns being very sharp.
  3. With a hefty pillion on board the bike suspension handles the load well and does not buckle under the weight
  4. The engine vibrations does not percolate onto the handle as the handle bar weights does their duty very efficiently.
  5. Overall the bikes feels that you are in control of it and not the other way round.

What I did not like?
  1. The bike feels front heavy especially under braking
  2. Small potholes on the road does bring out all the rattles but the suspension handles it well as the jerk is not transferred to the spine. In this respect Karizma was leagues ahead
  3. Bad roads or kuccha roads does being in a bit of a jarring ride maybe it’s due to tire pressure.

Smaller things that I liked
  1. The forward inclined seating position gives a racy style to riding than the Unicorn but nothing can beat the seating of the Karizma
  2. All switch gears etc are still functioning properly without seeming to be breaking off after 8 years.
  3. The front brakes have too much bite and needs to be handled with care, I guess all Pulsars are in the same league. It’s like a on or off switch.
  4. Last but not the least the looks of the bike is classic and ever green.

Small irritants or niggles

Obviously this section might put a lot of points but surprisingly the build quality of this bike is pretty and I could only pinpoint four points as of now.
  1. The clutch lever is too hard, maybe it’s a one of case of my bike
  2. The plastic bits like the side cover locks are loose I guess some rubber bushes will do the trick
  3. Mirror adjustment angles are pretty small and I have still not found the correct position
  4. Removing the seat is an ergonomic disaster as the side panel needs to be opened

Future Plans:
  1. Convert the electrical to DC and fix a 55/60 Philips Extreme Vision
  2. Convert all indicator & tail lamp to LEDs
  3. Petrol tank luster and shining with new UG5 emblems
  4. Change the meter console as the RPM section is not working
  5. Replace the rear tire as the threading seems to be wearing out

Here are few pictures of the bike, I tried to put some close-ups as a Google search of Bajaj Pulsar 150 yields more than "32,30,000 results (0.25 seconds)" :D

I love the sharp angled pilot lamp design
Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150-bajajpulsar1503.jpg

A close up of the devils eye's
Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150-bajajpulsar1502.jpg

The old and the new
Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150-bajajpulsar1504.jpg

Ok heres a shot of the entire bike
Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150-bajajpulsar1505.jpg

I am sure the above points are nothing new as the Pulsar brand itself is so old but I will keep this thread alive with timely updates.

Parting shot of the aggressive face
Biker to Cager to Biker again! My pre-owned Pulsar 150-bajajpulsar1506.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycles Section. Thanks for sharing!

Wanted to fix the digital meter instead of the analog one for the past two days but unfortunately the exercise was futile. I had got hold of a meter through quickr.com for 500 bucks. The Bajaj ASS folks informed the following changes that needs to be made which is making the cost of changing a lot high.

1. Entire wiring needs to be changed
2. Relay unit change
3. RR unit change
4. Cable coming from alternator needs to be changed
5. Ignition connector in UG2 is 4 pin whereas the new ones are 6

Seeing the host of changes above I have decided to shelve the plans, however, the after sales technician working on the bike informed to wait for 10 days as they might get some old digital meters which he is planning to hard wire instead of using connectors.

Good buy. I personally think the first two/three generations of Pulsars were the best, my personal favorite being the original 180 (both the regular and eliminator cruiser avatar). The current Pulsars are fragile and lack character, what with so many versions (isn't there now a Discover 150 and a Pulsar 110 or 125?:Frustrati). Completely diluted the brand.

I myself own one of the very few round-dome headlight versions of the first 150 DTSi batch sold before they phased out the design. My boy's a 2004-born, well brought up, low mileage (34k-odd, I'm a small town guy from M.P. so the amount of fun I had on my bike doesn't show on the odo:D) example that's still good as new mechanically.

These bikes age really well with the usual bit of care, and can take some serious licking and keep on ticking (sorry Timex for the stolen tagline).

Have fun riding!:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 3552787)
Good buy. I personally think the first two/three generations of Pulsars were the best, my personal favorite being the original 180 (both the regular and eliminator cruiser avatar). The current Pulsars are fragile and lack character, what with so many versions (isn't there now a Discover 150 and a Pulsar 110 or 125?:Frustrati). Completely diluted the brand.

Have fun riding!:thumbs up

Well I am not so well versed with the bikes currently sold especially from Bajaj as I was never a fan of them before this purchase. But I am sure older bikes would have been made better than current versions.

Just a quick question, are you aware as to where I can get an IRC tire. I am looking change the rear one preferably in the same size i.e. 100/90 - 17.

I own a 180 UG3 and have clocked 68k on it. And it's been rock solid and very reliable. I take care of the bike really well and it shows how it runs. Just do a oil change and service every 3k. Use motul or valvoline engine oil. Pulsar engines run well on these two.

BTW, I didn't know that the second hand price of Pulsar is so high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3552840)
......an IRC tire. I am looking change the rear one preferably in the same size i.e. 100/90 - 17.

IRCs are slightly tough to find. I'd recommend do a JustDial search for larger tire dealers around your area and call them up for stock availability. You can also try out Pirelli Sport Demons if you feel like pampering your ride.:D

On second thoughts, why don't you call up Madhus Enterprises (belongs to our resident tire expert Nikhilb2008). They're majorly into car tires but should be able to advise you where to find what you're looking for.

Madhus Langford Road:
080 2223 2869

You can also call Ravi (one of the managers) at 9448937447 (working hours only please). Very helpful guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3552840)

Just a quick question, are you aware as to where I can get an IRC tire. I am looking change the rear one preferably in the same size i.e. 100/90 - 17.

IRC tyres are hard to find. The only place I know is in jayanagar 4th block near ganesh temple.

If you want grip and don't care about longevity go for R15 V1 rear tyre and front Tyre combo. They are the best available for pulsar 150 and grip like leech in all conditions. Available at all mrf stores

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 3552876)
IRCs are slightly tough to find. I'd recommend do a JustDial search for larger tire dealers around your area and call them up for stock availability. You can also try out Pirelli Sport Demons if you feel like pampering your ride.:D

On second thoughts, why don't you call up Madhus Enterprises (belongs to our resident tire expert Nikhilb2008). They're majorly into car tires but should be able to advise you where to find what you're looking for.

Madhus Langford Road:
080 2223 2869

You can also call Ravi (one of the managers) at 9448937447 (working hours only please). Very helpful guy.

Yeah IRC has always been a very hard to find tire, why I was looking for is I used to use it on my Karizma and it gave superb performance in dry or wet conditions. Will try Madhus or even Cherry Agencies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3552910)
IRC tyres are hard to find. The only place I know is in jayanagar 4th block near ganesh temple.

If you want grip and don't care about longevity go for R15 V1 rear tyre and front Tyre combo. They are the best available for pulsar 150 and grip like leech in all conditions. Available at all mrf stores

Yeah I remember that shop near the Ganesh Temple, I had bought the tire from them the last time but that was in 2008 so was not sure the shop still exists after 6 years.

By the way how much life can I except from the R15 tires and I am guessing you are talking about Zapper S in 100/80 - 17 size for the rear?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3553214)
By the way how much life can I except from the R15 tires and I am guessing you are talking about Zapper S in 100/80 - 17 size for the rear?

congratulations on the purchase. wishing you an enjoyable time.:) 32000km is a decent mileage, I would suggest that just have the wiring checked to be on the safer side.

As for the tyre, Zapper S can last easily upto 18000- 20000kms, even beyond that. the grip is good on well paved tarmac, but doesn't respond well in gravel/sand. If your commute involves good roads go for these. but please do consider changing the front one aswell.

May I also suggest Michelin sirac street, for mixed road use. I have been using them on my pulsar for few months now, it looks like an offroad tyre, but good all around grip, be it wet, gravel, sand, paved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehuel (Post 3553287)

May I also suggest Michelin sirac street, for mixed road use. I have been using them on my pulsar for few months now, it looks like an offroad tyre, but good all around grip, be it wet, gravel, sand, paved.

Thanks for the suggestion, how much does it retail for and what size are you using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3553214)
Yeah I remember that shop near the Ganesh Temple, I had bought the tire from them the last time but that was in 2008 so was not sure the shop still exists after 6 years.

Madhus does not have it for sure.

You can expect life of 20,000 kms from the combo. But ya the grip in gravel is no so good. If you are looking for grip in gravel look for ceat button type tread tyres.

The Zapper S and the Zapper FY cost under 2000 bucks each

What gear shifting pattern this one has, all down or 1 down, rest up? I recall all down pattern for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3553436)
What gear shifting pattern this one has, all down or 1 down, rest up? I recall all down pattern for this.

Yes it has all down patterns. I owned the ug2 150 prior to my P220 and will be frank that, it was a much better bike than the P220.

What I have concluded after being a Bajaj user for over a decade now, is that they make bikes with excellent engines - Powerful and economic. But the other parts used are always trial and error experiments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3553382)
Madhus does not have it for sure.

You can expect life of 20,000 kms from the combo. But ya the grip in gravel is no so good. If you are looking for grip in gravel look for ceat button type tread tyres.

The Zapper S and the Zapper FY cost under 2000 bucks each

Interesting because I called up a few MRF exclusive shops and they are quoting 2600 for Zapper S which is 100/90 - 17. Planning to visit Cherrys and check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3553436)

This is a June 2006 manufactured with 1 down 4 up gearing. Probably one of the last batches before the digital meters came out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 (Post 3553467)
Yes it has all down patterns. I owned the ug2 150 prior to my P220 and will be frank that, it was a much better bike than the P220.

What I have concluded after being a Bajaj user for over a decade now, is that they make bikes with excellent engines - Powerful and economic. But the other parts used are always trial and error experiments.

Yes true about the other parts such as brakes, electricals but frankly the switches are of excellent build as they still have the same tackiness as probably when they were new.