Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 23:12   #16
BHPian

Yamaha R15 V2 vs KTM RC 200

After using the R15 for close to 14 months and 8k km and jumping onto a D390, I would say look no further than 200cc KTMs.

R15
+ relatively smoother
+ cheaper to maintain
+ looks smashing and vibe free.

- poor low end performance in city, an activa125 is better.
- poor acceleration for the highways
- performance reduces with increase in load considerably.
- not comfortable in heavy traffic.
+ has to be kept on the boil >6000rpm to have fun/keep up with other bikes.

Duke 200
+easy to putter along in higher gears
+perfect street bike/weekend warrior
+comfortable seating
+overtakes with much confidence

-vibration are not well masked
-poor wet weather performance of tyres
-lethargic SVC

Don't know how comfortable the RC ergonomics are but the fueling is much more linear and clean and the brakes on the RC200 are fantastic thanks to the forward weight bias compared to duke200.
If you can wait , the CBR300 n R3 are good all rounders, but will definitely be priced >2l.

PS- these are just my opinion after doing multiple 600km a day rides on R15 with fellow Dukers.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 18th January 2015 at 23:18.
Akhilash95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 10:36   #17
BHPian

Re: Yamaha R15 V2 vs KTM RC 200

R15 will be my choice just for its refinement levels and handling. And with my experience riding both the bikes i can tell you that the R15 is more confidence inspiring around high speed corners. The only downside of the R15 is that all of its power is housed high up in the rev range (Above 6K) whereas the RC200 has excellent low and mid range.
For touring i would choose the R15, for more of city riding and occasional highway run RC200. (Or else wait for the R25 which looks set to blow both these away in all categories ).
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 14:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
whats the build quality like for the RC200? Have read about alloys cracking, levers dangling etc and wouldnt want that after parting with my hard earned cash
I would rate the build quality of KTMs as only 'pretty decent'.

The alloy wheel cracking was a problem with the Dukes but KTM says that they have made the alloys stronger. As per what I have heard, initial batch of RCs had some rattling issues but were rectified during first service.

The point I am trying to make here is that, the build quality of KTMs are neither too bad nor too exceptional. But compared to the Yamaha, it is definitely a notch or two down. So if you are willing to bear with some occasional niggles for a bike which is focused on riding pleasure over anything else, go for KTM. Else R15 it is and will be.
Old 19th January 2015, 15:07   #19
BHPian

So, the RC200 has much better power all through the rev range (low-mid-top), is an equal handler if not slightly better, is more usable in the city due to the better low end, is much more of a mile cruncher on the highway due to all that additional torque and power and is way faster on the track. The R15 has better plastics.
Looks like a no contest to me.
I would suggest the RC390 though - if you intend to keep this as a long term bike. That one is already building a reputation for scaring some bigger bikes on the track!
Old 19th January 2015, 15:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
This should be fine in Bangalore, I believe all pumps dispense 95 RON but I guess it could be a problem if one goes cross country and in smaller towns. What do bikers do when on long drives, am guessing sensitivity to fuel should be the case with bikes like ceeber also and folks have done pan India runs on those

I have ridden an Activa extensively, however, this will not only be my first geared bike but also a machine which is vastly different in many other aspects. Which one do you think would be easier to cut my teeth on? (no pun intended!) When you say eager to please do you mean the driving dynamics of the R15 are such that its easier to get used to for a rookie biker? If the two are not very different then I may consider the RC200 given the higher FTD factor. Am hoping that notwithstanding the puny engine, the R15 delivers a great riding experience (handling/decent power etc) in oodles, otherwise whats the point in plonking more than a lakh?!

Very well put...you arent making a strong enough case for the R15, a R25 perhaps? but i doubt it will come south of 2 l. Since you have test driven and explored one, whats the build quality like for the RC200? Have read about alloys cracking, levers dangling etc and wouldnt want that after parting with my hard earned cash
Hello,

To answer all your queries:

1. Yes the fuel should not be a problem. I mistook 95 RON to be a more premium fuel. But now I stand corrected. My apologies. On long rides, yes there is an issue with alderated fuel in rural areas (some urban areas as well). So its wise to ride with a responsible group of riders who would help you navigate this issue safely. The RC200 has a smaller fuel tank so fuel stops are going to be frequent on it.

2. Thanks for mentioning your 2 wheeler background. Keeping that in mind, I would advice that the R15 would be the better bike for you. The R15 is a great learner bike. It will get you used to an involved riding stance and allow you to expand your riding capabilities in relative safety. Like I said, it is eager to please. However, once you get used to it you will crave more cc and bhp on your bike. So that is something you need to keep in mind. The R15 is a very rewarding bike. The RC200 on the other hand is a little more aggressive and you will need some time getting used to. However in the long run, it will keep you satisfied for a longer period of time.

The R15 is an established bike in the market (for both, product quality and vendor service). It's comparitive lack of power is the only negative that riding enthusiasts complain about. We will have to wait for at least a year to have that verdict on the RC200. There is a 60-90 day waiting period for it. This was the same with the Dukes when they launched, but now the waiting period in Pune is about 15-20 days. This should be replicated for the R200 once more units start getting sold. Plus the KTM service stations in Pune have a good reputation.

3. There have been some quality issues mentioned by Duke owners. But overall the Duke siblings are solid bikes. I have only heard good things about them from their riders.

3. The most heartfelt advice I can give is go and test ride both the bikes. See what FEELS right. Forget all else. Just ride the bikes (safely and without twisting the throttle too much). The latent biker in you will tell you which bike you want. There is no ego while riding.

Also plan your finances in such a way that you invest in safety and in knowledge equally. I used the book "Sports riding techniques for the street" by Nick Einatsch to learn about riding when not in the saddle.

http://www.amazon.in/Sport-Riding-Te...for+the+street

Applying just the first 3 chapters of the book even to your activa riding will help you enhance your skills as a rider. Also subscribe to Team BHP's safe riding thread.

Once you get your bike, please invest in good quality safety gear and join a responsible biking group. All these things should get you started.

Hope this helped...
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 19:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not looking for something to commute on, but something which can satiate my craving for driving/riding anything on wheels.

Usage could be short bursts on the highway (NICE Rd/Kolar) over weekends, a run across the city late at night/early morning.

Would love to take it to the track and hence looking at R15/RC version of the KTM.

Note that I consider myself fairly fit (regular runner of half marathons) and a committed riding position should not be an issue
Having ridden my cousin's R15 fairly extensively, I can say that the only area where the R15 is better than the Katoom is the quality of plastics. Buss, finished. Now you be the judge of how very important is this factor for you. And its not like the KTM is falling apart, just that the R15 is better

As an owner of the Duke 390 and having extensively test ridden the Duke 200 (no experience with the RC twins yet), I have to say that its got to be the Katoom all the way. I would in fact recommend saving up for the 390 as the initial price difference is not much, spares and consumables are almost identically priced (read cheap) and I feel one might grow out of the 200 soon, especially given your intended use

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
then you should look no further and go blindly book the NINJA 300!!!
While the gentleman here is giving you advice with nothing but good intentions, I highly highly recommend that you do not even consider this unless money is no object. Why?

> You have never ridden a geared bike and hence (with all due respect) are a newbie on two wheels
> Keeping the above statement in mind, you will not be the most mechanically empathetic (mostly unknowingly) with the machine. God forbid but there's a good chance that you might drop the bike too
> Ninja is not a motorcycle that is cheap to maintain (see below). Neither is it cheap to buy
> And even after spending all that money - Woefully underequipped. Crappy IRC tires, no ABS or any other safety aids. Just a slipper clutch that wont let you learn "blipping" the throttle, a vital skill when it comes to learning throttle control IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you're serious about taking it to track & riding, then...Ninja 300 or...if moolah issue, then get a used Ninja 250

Remember, buying is one time affair, maintenance & living with it is for lifetime
So, the Ninjas (both 250 and 300) are a better bet than the "track focussed" RC twins, if the OP does decide to do track days? Care to elaborate why?

And I have to agree - "buying is one time affair, maintenance & living with it is for lifetime"

Here are some numbers for the OP to crunch and ponder over:

> A single fairing (one side only) for the Ninja 250 used to cost around Rs 15000. 300 would not be an cheaper (quite the contrary I'm sure). The story is no different when it comes to other parts, cosmetic or mechanical. Being new to bikes, ask yourself if this is an expenditure you are willing to undertake. Or, dont crash it but you always have this little voice inside you head, telling you - "dont crash, you'll go bankrupt"; and you never push your limits (hopefully on a track and not the streets) fearing a ginormous expenditure. You seriously limit your learning potential as a rider
> Even regular service (Check our resident mod N_Aditya's thread for details) but IIRC, a regular service would cost around 6k for a 250. Katoom would be done in 1/3rd the cost
> Even availability of parts is an issue. I have personally seen a Ninja 300 as an example of the same. It was grounded at the service center awaiting parts for over 45 days. Did not check back on it since my last service but do you want this sort of a downtime? KTM parts are almost always in stock. If they are not, the wait period is nowhere near that of the Ninja

Go for the RC my friend. You are fit enough to deal with the supersport type posture, want to use it for some weekend fun & strapping a small tail bag on ...... well, the tail for that across town journey will not be a bother

All the best

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th January 2015 at 19:39.
Old 19th January 2015, 20:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bike enthusiasts,

After having driven for more than two decades, suddenly in the throes of advancing age (I think there is a term for it, some crisis something...) I feel this itch of owning and riding a bike, and if it itches one should do what comes naturally.

I have driven all kinds of cars and consider myself to be a somewhat spirited driver (when the missus is not around) with a penchant for long drives. Having extrapolated from my driving traits, I have been stalking the motorbikes thread and devouring the many well written threads on various brands and makes in an effort to identify options. The following are the results of all the broadband MBs consumed

I know its not an altogether apt comparison, belonging to separate categories as they are. To nail the winner and the brand which can receive my hard earned cash, the following are the KRAs in a decreasing order of importance, feel free to comment, debate, debunk etc

• which one handles better? From what I have read the R15 V2 has sweet handling and high sped stability, if the RC 200 is far behind on this one then I will end all debate and pick up the R15 as the Yamaha costs much less
  • Build quality and Reliability - Understand that the R15 scores over KTM on build quality; which of the two is more 'niggle prone'? This will be an important factor since as a noob rider I wouldnt be too well informed if unknown gremlins keep popping up.
  • Power - This is somewhat related to handling as speed without a stable chassis means nothing. Even though this one is a no brainer with the KTM putting out 25 BHP, does the R15 appear underpowered in comparison in the real world?
  • Dealership and service experience? - Is Yamaha better? Please suggest 'friendly' dealers in Bangalore of the brand which is better at customer experience
  • FE isnt too important a consideration given that these are performance machines, but is one radically better than the other?

Suggest away...
I think it should be a no brainer. Pick the legendary R15. There is still no bike that matches its handling and accuracy. Yes it has the aggressive stance, not easy on the wrists and all, but comparing overall Yamaha A.S.S and the 40kpl mileage it gives, you have to own it to believe it. Also, niggles and other stuff keep coming up even in liter class bikes. You simply have to live with it and learn how to deal with it! Also, why not consider the new Karizma R? For this price it is still a potent bike and a legendary tourer. Think think.

Else, Yamaha all the way. But do not ignore the Karizma.

Last edited by coolmel : 19th January 2015 at 20:35.
Old 20th January 2015, 01:26   #23
BHPian

No disrespect to the Karizma owners, but, don't get a Karizma because that bike is ancient now. Reasons :-
  • No monoshock.
  • Thin tyres.
  • 18-inch alloys.
  • No fuel-injection in Karizma R.
  • 5-speed gearbox instead of the 6-speed on the competition.

Moreover, the new model looks hideous. The old model was a looker though. If you want handling, looks and a revvy engine, then go for R15. And of you want low end torque and more power than go for KTM Duke 200. Or you can also take a look at Pulsar 200 NS.

P.S. If you can extend your budget, then go for CBR250R. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by 0xTKB : 20th January 2015 at 01:28.
Old 20th January 2015, 11:34   #24
BHPian

I would choose the Yamaha, here's why:
Yamaha R15 V2 vs KTM RC 200-wp_20141212_009.jpg
Come May '15, my Yamaha RX 135 will complete 13 years. It still looks and feels as good as it did on day one.

Its done close to 85000 km and still runs on the factory piston and bore. Till date, the bike has ensured that I am never stranded anywhere. Been through a lot together, and for long time.

If you plan to keep the bike for a long time, and enjoy the handling part of the bike more, buy the Yamaha, it will not disappoint.

As Yamaha says "The feeling of rider-machine unity is what creates
the joy of the ride or the thrill of the challenge..."

You must buy a bike that you can feel one with - one that becomes a part of your body and mind.

Most importantly, whichever bike you buy, take good care of it and it will take good care of you, respect it and it respects you
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
  • which one handles better? From what I have read the R15 V2 has sweet handling and high sped stability, if the RC 200 is far behind on this one then I will end all debate and pick up the R15 as the Yamaha costs much less
  • Build quality and Reliability - Understand that the R15 scores over KTM on build quality; which of the two is more 'niggle prone'? This will be an important factor since as a noob rider I wouldnt be too well informed if unknown gremlins keep popping up.
  • Power - This is somewhat related to handling as speed without a stable chassis means nothing. Even though this one is a no brainer with the KTM putting out 25 BHP, does the R15 appear underpowered in comparison in the real world?
  • Dealership and service experience? - Is Yamaha better? Please suggest 'friendly' dealers in Bangalore of the brand which is better at customer experience
  • FE isnt too important a consideration given that these are performance machines, but is one radically better than the other?

Suggest away...
In terms of build quality, Yamaha is the winner. A close friend owns a R15 V1 which has done almost 25k on the odo, and the bike still amazes me with it's character. Hardly seen any niggles on his bike or felt any discomfort. On the other end, the RC200 will make you nervous at times.

As for power, the RC200 is the winner hands down. The amazing torque and eagerness to hit 3 digit speeds of the RC ensures that the Japanese isn't even close on this one.

Now, since I own a KTM, I can comment only on the brand. For 'good' dealerships, honestly speaking, there are none. I chose the Mekhri Circle KTM because it relatively has fresher stock than other showrooms. Your other alternative is the Langford KTM which is quite famous among most KTM owners. Be aware of the manager at Mekhri though. Many lethargic souls there. PM me if you want the details of the salesman at Mekhri who helped me tremendously in purchasing my bike. (Everything was done via phone. I visited the showroom only to pay the balance amount and take delivery.)
Coming to Yamaha, my friend gets it serviced at the Yamaha showroom opposite Ambedkar Institute of Technology (near BSK 3rd Stage) and their service has been brilliant as compared to other Yamaha SVCs. I remember one Yamaha SVC giving him a service estimate of Rs. 3600 and this current one giving him a service estimate of around Rs. 2000. Such is the difference. Be wise in this issue.

Bringing in the topic of FE in two performance oriented motorcycles is a taboo. However, I personally feel that the Yamaha returns more and is more efficient when it comes to burning petrol. Correct me if I'm wrong, fellow bikers.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 14:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bike enthusiasts,
Suggest away...
I was in the same confusion a few days ago.

I test rided the Duke 200 first , and then test rided the R15.

I found the handling of R15 to be really better and even the refinement was a lot better than the duke. No vibrations at all. But because I had test rided the Duke first, i felt there was no fun factor in riding the R15 (felt underpowered). The power and torque kinda felt like any normal commuter 150 cc bike. It would bore me sooner or later.

So I went and test rided the Duke again and this time got to open the throttle fully. Man... the grin on my face remained for the rest of the day after that ride.
The Duke is a rough motorcycle but the fun it gives you makes you forget everything else and you just want the roads to never end.

R15's build quality, FE, refinement, handling, service, parts costs (cheaper) etc. is better compared to Duke but they say RC200 and 390 are made for track machines so the handling will be on the lines of R15 or maybe even better.
Build quality of RC isn't as good as Yamaha but its good. When it comes to fun to ride factor..KTM is the winner. Be it Duke or RC.

My brain was for R15 but my heart was set on the DUKE.
I went with my heart and booked the Duke right away. Will be taking the delivery tomorrow.

Its up to you what you wanna choose. Take many test rides before deciding.
PS. My first geared bike too. -Excited-

Ride Safe
Old 20th January 2015, 15:28   #27
BHPian

I have had a chance to ride all of the KTM's except the RC200 & I own a R15 V2.

There are a few pointers have for KTM's and a few for the R15.

KTM
- Looks mental
- Aggressive riding posture (both the RC and the Dukes, will come back to this point)
- Quality and spares are not the best in the market.
- Lots and lots of focus needed to ride these.
- The nakeds are very usable in the city's
- Power on Demand
- Lightweight (easy to flick)

YAMAHA
- Superb build quality
- Riding posture is aggressive here too, But having riden the RC390, I have to say because of its taller stance and the race type triple-tree, it is a much more difficult task to maneuver the motorcycle. Subject to preference, I am 5'9'' and 70kgs.
- The best quality spares in the market.
- Super agile Deltabox frame coupled with banana swingarm ( The tubular one on the KTM is also a blast to ride)
- Only 17bhp :( But one does not need a lot of power to corner!
- A truly precision cornering motorcycle
- Lightweight.

Confused?? haha! So am I. But here's a honest suggestion. The R15 is just low on power when it comes to comparison b/w the two mentioned, everything else is just as good or slightly better than the contender.
The KTM offers everything and more power than its contender.

My experience on my R15 says that the Yamaha is a motorcycle where you'll have to knit pick at problems, some times even wonder why you aren't able to find any niggles in the bike. If you are a kind of person who can live with a small vibration or any other sort if niggle and it doesn't bother you as much, go for the KTM.

To ride with peace of mind is what will make you happy on any motorcycle.

That being said, I am myself planning to go for the Duke 390 just for the love of naked motorcycles and sheer madness that the 390 delivers on the road. But I will also be keeping the R15 for those weekend rides and for the holy love of cornering.

Best of Luck!

DM99
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 11:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

Now, since I own a KTM, I can comment only on the brand. For 'good' dealerships, honestly speaking, there are none. I chose the Mekhri Circle KTM because it relatively has fresher stock than other showrooms. Your other alternative is the Langford KTM which is quite famous among most KTM owners. Be aware of the manager at Mekhri though. Many lethargic souls there. PM me if you want the details of the salesman at Mekhri who helped me tremendously in purchasing my bike. (Everything was done via phone. I visited the showroom only to pay the balance amount and take delivery.)
Coming to Yamaha, my friend gets it serviced at the Yamaha showroom opposite Ambedkar Institute of Technology (near BSK 3rd Stage) and their service has been brilliant as compared to other Yamaha SVCs. .
Whats your opinion on the probiking showroom at Indiranagar on 100 feet road? How do they compare with the ones you mentioned?

Do you own a Duke? I have been thinking and realized that track riding is a once in a blue moon affair while city/highway rides are the reality. Also, given that the D costs less than the RC, I might as well consider the Duke 200. Would it also be easier to ride for a newbie compared to a RC/R15?
Old 21st January 2015, 11:48   #29
BHPian

I bought an R15 (invincible Black) on 18-Jan. I had been considering a Ninja 300 for quite some time. However, I went with the R15. I know and understand the fact that both the bikes are in different categories - 2-cylinder 300cc bike vs. single cylinder 150cc.

Positives:

1.) Looks big for a 150cc bike
2.) Stunning looks (atleast for me)
3.) Has quality written all over
4.) Confidence inspiring brakes
5.) Once you get closer to 5000 RPM, it feels very different - unfortunately I can't go beyond this till another 400kms (have done about 100kms till now)

Negatives:

1.) Mirrors are hard to adjust when not in right position
2.) On heavy braking, you can feel the weight getting transferred to your hands (read wrists)
3.) Lack of power below 4-4.5k RPM

I did not find much of an issue with the seating / riding position. I felt very comfortable even during my test drive, but, I did have some pain in my wrist on the first day.

I am really happy (so far) with my decision to go for R15. I felt happier after going through the previous post by Urban_Nomad regarding the maintenance costs of the baby Ninja. I think that is one wise decision I made.

Mod Note : Post edited. There were several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2015 at 12:40. Reason: See mod note
Old 21st January 2015, 13:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
I recently bought R15 (invincible Black) infact on 18-Jan; I was considering Ninja 300 for quite sometime now, however went with R15, I know and understand the fact that both the bikes are in different category - 2-cylinder 300cc bike to single cylinder 150cc
Congrats! Where in Bangalore do you buy it from and how was the dealership experience. What was the OTR.

Pls PM me if thats more convenient

thanks
Supratik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks