Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 21:51   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
After almost a year....is there merit in changing the oil at around the 200 kms mark (and of course again at the mandatory 1k/1 month schedule) to help the engine run in better? Also who do we think is the best Yamaha service outfit in Bangalore?
Running in a new motorcycle is infact the last stage of motorcycle production, it should be done carefully. Basically you just avoid full throttle during the initial 1k kms, dont think too much of the revs if taken to higher revs smoothly then there shall be no harm. But the worst thing for a new engine will be "lugging", avoid that.
I remember taking it too mild on the running in of my previous ride, later on it did not like high revs at all. It just develops a character, hope you get it and congratulations and wishing happy ownership. :thumbup:
Old 25th December 2015, 22:18   #47
BHPian

Re: Yamaha R15 V2 vs KTM RC 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Congrats mate on the "bullet" proof little super bike I am sure you will have more fun than you could ever imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Many congratulations, mate.
)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Thanks guys, your suggestions helped a lot, look forward to riding with you guys after the engine runs in

Should I clean and lube the chain at the 500 km mark or let the SVC do it in the first service? Any pointers on how do I do this considering the R15 does not have a centre stand?

Any recommendations on headlamps which dont void warranty? The stock ones are crap.
Old 25th December 2015, 23:58   #48
BHPian

Yes stock headlights on most bikes are crap. You might want to start with upgrading the bulbs, with stock wiring.

If you feel that's not good enough, you can either go in for a projector setup with good quality ballasts, HID bulbs and projectors, or you can upgrade the wiring, fit a relay, switch to ceramic holders and use 60/55 bulbs. (The stock wiring in my FZ is supporting 60/55 bulb without a relay, however better not take a chance).

Please do not fit HIDs without projectors.

Last edited by autocrat : 25th December 2015 at 23:59.
Old 26th December 2015, 02:14   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Should I clean and lube the chain at the 500 km mark or let the SVC do it in the first service? Any pointers on how do I do this considering the R15 does not have a centre stand?

Any recommendations on headlamps which dont void warranty? The stock ones are crap.
The chain clean plus lube thing after 500 km is not written in stone. Lube the chain and see how it looks and feels. When you can see the chain feels dry, lube it. When you see the chain going dirty/dark, clean and lube it. If its dry weather, a lube every 500kms and a clean every 1000/1500 kms does the job. During rains however, you might even have to lube it after one ride if you happen to ride through deep waters and frequency of cleaning also has to increase.
You will know when she needs the lube as you ride her more

Yes the lights are not enough but do not upgrade anything but a dfferent bulb of same rating, to keep warranty intact. I simply made it a point to not ride outside cities after dark and if I do then i go at the speeds the low beam allowed me to go (not more than 60 kmph for sure), keeps things safer too.
Old 26th December 2015, 11:36   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Religiously, mate. When I first bought my ride, I was very callous in self-maintaining the bike until bhpian man_of_steel knocked some sense into me and told me the intricacies of maintaining my bike well. This was when my odo was barely a ton. Since then, I lube my chain every 450-500 kms and adjust the slack. You won't believe the change in performance a well lubed/adjusted chain gives. The result? My chain lasted for 15k kms, 3k more than it does for many D390s. So yes, religiously and regularly maintaining you chain is a MUST because it's a very CRUCIAL component of your bike.

You can buy any of the various paddock stands available in the market. I believe IndiMotard, Bangalore makes and stocks their own, which are relatively cheap and well built than other in the market. Check with them.

Don't go for a headlamp upgrade just right now. If you want a change, go for better headlamp bulbs. I changed mine to Xtreme Vision and also got the throw/focus adjusted in pitch darkness and it has worked wonders. My headlamps work awesome now and I have dropped the idea of aux lamps altogether!

Last edited by barcalad : 26th December 2015 at 11:38.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:54   #51
BANNED

For a 5'11" guy, which one of the two would be ergonomically better suited.

I already have a NS 200 that I'll be keeping, but need a second bike at my hometown, and was considering something sporty. Just to give it a try.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm only considering the R15 V2, as I think the V3 is hideous.

Last edited by simeonovitch : 21st August 2019 at 12:55.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:49   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post

I already have a NS 200 that I'll be keeping, but need a second bike at my hometown, and was considering something sporty. Just to give it a try.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm only considering the R15 V2, as I think the V3 is hideous.
Same height, both suck(neck cramps!), especially on long errands.

R15v2 is comparatively more forgiving of the two.

Plus quite coincidentally a fellow enthusiast just shared in our WA group of his R15v2 crossing 170k km's without the engine being opened.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 22:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Have been riding the R15 v2 for past 6 years, I chose it over the Duke 200 because KTM had just entered the Indian market (2012). Go for the R15, eyes closed if "something sporty" is what you are looking for. RC200 is "too sporty" and is overpriced for what it offers. The best thing about r15 is inspite of all the abuse and spirited riding, it still manages to return FE of 40+ kms.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:03   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If its a pre-owned bike that will not be used very often, I would say go for R15 V2 for the Japanese quality, undeniable reliability and peace of mind. Im as tall as you and owned the first gen R15 for several years and had no complaints with the seating posture once I learnt the correct body positioning.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks