Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 13:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Yamaha R15 V2 vs KTM RC 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Congrats! Where in Bangalore do you buy it from and how was the dealership experience. What was the OTR.

Pls PM me if thats more convenient

thanks
Supratik

OTR - 1.36 (invincible black & Raring red)
1.39 ( Racing blue & Grid Gold)

I took it from Pacer Yamaha, Hebbal; dealer was ok. Found a small scratch in the right fairing during delivery, they did not have that color available to replace, hence would be changing the same during the first service (owner has given his signature in the service booklet for the same)

I heard Rajaji Nagar dealership to be better, no first hand experience though; I went with these guys cause its closer to my place.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
And how purpose & expectations are defined?
- To commute to work
- To ride with my friends during weekends for short rides
- To ride, not more than 200-300 Km occasionally / 1-2 days short trip with my son
- roam like a lone Wolf in my state
- Assume the bike might kill my boredom
Ahem.....! I am already in that advancing age group! Have owned a few bikes in the past, all of them in the 100 - 110 cc group. There simply was not any choice in my younger days. Present ride is an ageing Splendor that is still going strong!

I have been itching for a new bike for quite some time, but hesitate to put down big money on a whim. My requirements are exactly as above (forgive me for taking the liberty to "fudge" your post!). Me too thinking of R15 and the KTM 200. (Also considering the GS 150R as a third, low cost option. Have heard it makes a good tourer if we keep within it's limitations). I am no road burner, so if the bike takes me to about 80 - 90 KPH and back without breaking a sweat, it is enough for me.

My two cents: If we are going to ride predominantly within city, ride double and will only do occasional highway trips (even where mile munching at a good clip is more important than top speed), don't think of the top end too much. What we need is a good bottom, with lots of torque.

PS: Also, if interested in longevity of the engine, look for a square engine (bore = stroke). They are supposed to be the longest lasting.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd January 2015 at 09:36. Reason: As requested
Old 21st January 2015, 14:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats your opinion on the probiking showroom at Indiranagar on 100 feet road? How do they compare with the ones you mentioned?
I got my D200 from this showroom. Quite good and I was there when they were unloading the new lot of bikes that arrived and they allowed me to select one from the 6 black D200's that arrived on that day.

Quote:
Do you own a Duke? I have been thinking and realized that track riding is a once in a blue moon affair while city/highway rides are the reality. Also, given that the D costs less than the RC, I might as well consider the Duke 200. Would it also be easier to ride for a newbie compared to a RC/R15?
Though this question is to barcalad, penning my inputs. Own it for 10 months and 5300kms done on it so far. Predominantly city with highway jaunts thrown in when possible. The highest i have done is a solo 1000kms ride over 3 days and quickest was a 500kms round trip on the same day. These trips were on varied road conditions, weather conditions etc. And the D200 just brought a smile always without giving any cause for complaint. And in the city its a hoot to ride!!

I was prior to the D200 using RTR180/160. Though the seating on the RTR is not as aggressive as the R15, around 40 mins in the thick Blore traffic would ensure I end up with neck/shoulder pain and tiredness. The same stretch on the D200 sees me arrive fresh at my destination without any aches or pains. On highways it can hold 3 digit speeds without feeling strained for long durations. Of course you can't hold on to the top end for a long time, but at around 9k rpm its a cruise where you can almost cover 85-90kmph in 1 hour on good NH type roads.

Happy choosing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Me too thinking of R15 and the KTM 200. (Also considering the GS 150R as a third, low cost option. Have heard it makes a good tourer if we keep within it's limitations). I am no road burner, so if the bike takes me to about 80 - 90 KPH and back without breaking a sweat, it is enough for me.
If you are looking at the GS, you might want to consider the Gixxer150 from Suzuki stable which is supposedly the best 150cc bike on sale today as per different reviews on the net. Has the looks, up right seating position, good low end torque and the required grunt to reach the speeds you are looking at doing.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 21st January 2015 at 14:50.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 17:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Whats your opinion on the probiking showroom at Indiranagar on 100 feet road? How do they compare with the ones you mentioned?

Do you own a Duke? I have been thinking and realized that track riding is a once in a blue moon affair while city/highway rides are the reality. Also, given that the D costs less than the RC, I might as well consider the Duke 200. Would it also be easier to ride for a newbie compared to a RC/R15?
My opinions of Khivraj, Indiranagar are very limited. Everytime I've been there, the staff's actions and words give enormous competition to those who work at Tusker Harley. Everytime I've demanded any Kawasaki bike for a test ride, I've received one dumb alibi or the other. The people there appear least interested to ensure that your money is going in right hands. If you're going for the Austrian, try to purchase it from either Langford or Mekhri.

Yes. I own the 390 Duke. Track Riding is not quite realistic right now, let's face it. One would assume NICE Road to be an option, but the road has so many sudden depressions that I don't dare to go too fast. On the Duke, long weekend rides will be considerably comfortable, considering the RC's riding stance. The Duke will give you power exactly when you need it, and perhaps in the right amount as well. The D200 is lightweight, nimble and provides enough power for a newbie to not total his ride right after taking delivery. It'll be a lot more easier.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2015 at 11:55. Reason: Mention of high speeds
Old 27th January 2015, 11:29   #35
BHPian

Folks,

Spent some time in the Yamaha and KTM showroom (and consider the Duke200 now instead of the RC) over the weekend ogling the bikes and imagining how they would be like especially in the early days given my lack of history with bikes, have the following questions

The R15 looked a little daunting and cumbersome to be weaved in and out in heavy traffic (pls note thats what it appeared to me in the showroom looking at the bulked fairing) can someone comment? The Duke on the other hand, 'appeared' to be a machine which could be easier to ride and control. Which one would be easier for a novice (in terms of negotiating traffic, control, balance, driveability) - the R15 or the Duke 200?

Given that the D200 and the R15 are priced fairly close, me thinks it makes sense to go for the former given that it does most things better or equally well than the R15 with more juice on tap. However, the situation changes if one gets a pre owned R15 at <1 lakh, my question - are R15 reliable enough to pick up a used one? Reason being performance bikes would likely to have been thrashed by previous owners!

How does the total cost of ownership compare between the two? R15 needs more frequent servicing but is a Jap and hence should be more reliable. Do spares cost the same for both? Which one would be more 'forgiving' to the noob mistakes that I would invariably commit?

Thanks again
Old 27th January 2015, 12:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If you are looking at the GS, you might want to consider the Gixxer150 from Suzuki stable which is supposedly the best 150cc bike on sale today as per different reviews on the net. Has the looks, up right seating position, good low end torque and the required grunt to reach the speeds you are looking at doing.
I am more inclined towards the GS 150R (IF I am going to buy a Suzuki) for the following reasons:

1) Matured look.
2) 15 litre fuel tank
3) Comfortable riding stance. A sporty stance will be a pain during longer rides.
4) Sixth gear = relaxed mile munching + better FE.

Guys, does any showroom give test rides of the Duke 200 in Chennai? Please let me know. I am more interested in the Duke 200 than the RC200, as I don't really like full fairings. I understand the fairing and head lamps are the major difference between these two and the engine/mechanicals are otherwise same.

I normally don't go anywhere near a Bajaj, but may make an exception this time!

Last edited by Gansan : 27th January 2015 at 12:49.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 00:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I would choose the Yamaha, here's why:
Attachment 1330871
Come May '15, my Yamaha RX 135 will complete 13 years. It still looks and feels as good as it did on day one.

Its done close to 85000 km and still runs on the factory piston and bore. Till date, the bike has ensured that I am never stranded anywhere. Been through a lot together, and for long time.

If you plan to keep the bike for a long time, and enjoy the handling part of the bike more, buy the Yamaha, it will not disappoint.

As Yamaha says "The feeling of rider-machine unity is what creates
the joy of the ride or the thrill of the challenge..."

You must buy a bike that you can feel one with - one that becomes a part of your body and mind.

Most importantly, whichever bike you buy, take good care of it and it will take good care of you, respect it and it respects you
That is one immaculately well kept Yamaha!! Brilliant, I am in total awe. And like you said, the rider-machine connection is indeed most important. And Yamaha is all about performance and handling. You still running on stock pistons??? You gotta be kidding me. *claps*
Old 29th January 2015, 10:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
That is one immaculately well kept Yamaha!! Brilliant, I am in total awe. And like you said, the rider-machine connection is indeed most important. And Yamaha is all about performance and handling. You still running on stock pistons??? You gotta be kidding me. *claps*
Yes its on stock piston

A cousin who has an RX 100 from early 80's had advised me to use 5 ml more oil than recommended and the bore lasts forever - I am sticking to it... but the spark plug needs to be cleaned more often to remove the soot.

I am looking to retire my RX 135 soon from daily duty, keeping it for weekend use and get a new bike for commuting (75 km a day).
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am more inclined towards the GS 150R (IF I am going to buy a Suzuki) for the following reasons:

1) Matured look.
2) 15 litre fuel tank
3) Comfortable riding stance. A sporty stance will be a pain during longer rides.
4) Sixth gear = relaxed mile munching + better FE.
I visited a Suzuki showroom a couple of days back, but no GS 150R was available. They say it has been withdrawn, but will be re-launched in a couple of months in an "improved" version. My take on this is, the Gixer itself will be launched in a commuter version (like the Yamaha SZ derivative of FZ) to maintain economies of scale. It may not match up to the GS 150R.

I did a test ride of the Gixer but it was not to my liking.
Old 31st March 2015, 22:45   #40
BHPian

Guys i'm in the market for an rc-200. I found a pre-worshiped RC200 for sale. He is quoting 1.6l. The bike is in mint condition(1 month old) and under 500km. He is going to navy. I'm aware of all the niggles of KTMs. Should i take the plunge? It is a cracking deal i guess
Old 13th December 2015, 09:41   #41

Hi folks,
I am in the same dilemma now. Have driven my friend's R15 extensively but I have no experience on an RC200. I am from Chennai.
Anyone knows a dealer in Chennai where I can take a TD of RC? or if someone owns it in Chn, I would appreciate if I could take it for a short spin before making my decision.

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th December 2015, 12:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltsr View Post
Hi folks,
I am in the same dilemma now. Have driven my friend's R15 extensively but I have no experience on an RC200. I am from Chennai.
Anyone knows a dealer in Chennai where I can take a TD of RC? or if someone owns it in Chn, I would appreciate if I could take it for a short spin before making my decision.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I don't think they have test drive of RC200. AFAIK, they give test drive of a Duke 200 saying that both have same engine. You can test ride a RC390 though. Visit Adyar showroom or the Ashok Nagar showroom. Do give them a call before you go since they share the same bike for both the showrooms. This was the case few months ago, not sure what's the status there.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:27   #43
BHPian

After almost a year of starting this thread and spending many hours agonizing over options, switching bike classes and types and questioning the sanity of this decision at a stage when conventional wisdom dictates that your penny goes into apartments and mutual funds, the wait comes to an end with this

Yamaha R15 V2 vs KTM RC 200-wp_20151219_17_47_32_pro.jpg

The introduction of a single seat helped in making the decision. The missus after all can take a lot of credit in tipping me over to two wheels, can't now buy a bike with a seat which will necessitate rock climbing lessons now, can I?!

Hope to put up an ownership review soon. One quick question to existing R15 owners, is there merit in changing the oil at around the 200 kms mark (and of course again at the mandatory 1k/1 month schedule) to help the engine run in better? Also who do we think is the best Yamaha service outfit in Bangalore?
Old 24th December 2015, 21:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Hope to put up an ownership review soon. One quick question to existing R15 owners, is there merit in changing the oil at around the 200 kms mark (and of course again at the mandatory 1k/1 month schedule) to help the engine run in better? Also who do we think is the best Yamaha service outfit in Bangalore?
Congrats mate on the "bullet" proof little super bike I am sure you will have more fun than you could ever imagine.

I don't think there is any advantage in doing those drains at 200kms. Just follow the book and she will serve you perfect for ever ! Just make sure you don't use synthetic oil before 4/5 k kms.

I was happy with Orion's, opposite Forum mall, service and knew one the mechanics personally who took care of my bike for all of the 7 years. Been delivered without cleaning a few times but no incidents of scratches being added or things being broken after a service. Only thing is billing takes painfully long and you better check the bill carefully and get everything you want to get done or not get done (I used to do chain maintenance myself) in written on the service form.

Last edited by Sojogator : 24th December 2015 at 21:29.
Old 24th December 2015, 21:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
After almost a year of starting this thread and spending many hours agonizing over options, switching bike classes and types and questioning the sanity of this decision at a stage when conventional wisdom dictates that your penny goes into apartments and mutual funds, the wait comes to an end with this
Many congratulations, mate.

I remember reading many of your posts and understand it was a very patience testing wait for you. Glad to know you made a decent choice.

Will be looking forward to your ownership thread as I am among the minority who found the single seat V1 to be better than the V2, except when it came to looks.

Here's wishing you plenty of joyful and memorable miles!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks