Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Motorbikes: Why have the front number-plate?

isn’t it time someone looked into the archaic front number plate law for motorbikes in our country? what purpose do they serve? modern bikes, especially from international manufacturers don’t even have a provision for them and we have to either position them oddly or add unsafe metallic supports to comply with the rules.

given that we are now trying to catch up with the rest of the world in terms of launches of global models and relatively better highway & urban traffic management infrastructure, can we as an informed biking community not do something about it to convince the authorities?

here are some excepts from relevant laws in UK, USA & Australia. EU also has similar regulations but I couldn’t Google anything in regional languages.

United Kingdom (https://www.gov.uk/)
“Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.”

Australia (https://www.sa.gov.au)
“You are required to display a number plate on the rear of your motorcycle only. The number plate must be positioned so it is clearly visible at all angles.”

USA (http://www.oregon.gov)
“A single*license plate is issued to mopeds, motorcycles, trailers, campers, … …..
If only one license plate is issued, it must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.”
outofthebox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 12:46   #2
BHPian

re: Motorbikes: Why have the front number-plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
isn’t it time someone looked into the archaic front number plate law for motorbikes in our country? what purpose do they serve? modern bikes, especially from international manufacturers don’t even have a provision for them and we have to either position them oddly or add unsafe metallic supports to comply with the rules.

given that we are now trying to catch up with the rest of the world in terms of launches of global models and relatively better highway & urban traffic management infrastructure, can we as an informed biking community not do something about it to convince the authorities?

here are some excepts from relevant laws in UK, USA & Australia. EU also has similar regulations but I couldn’t Google anything in regional languages.

United Kingdom (https://www.gov.uk/)
“Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.”

Australia (https://www.sa.gov.au)
“You are required to display a number plate on the rear of your motorcycle only. The number plate must be positioned so it is clearly visible at all angles.”

USA (http://www.oregon.gov)
“A single*license plate is issued to mopeds, motorcycles, trailers, campers, … …..
If only one license plate is issued, it must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.”
This would be so great but I doubt anyone gives a damn about it here.

We don't have proper laws for providing license. Cannot see these change. They might, instead, make it necessary to have a humongous number plate or something that makes further non-sense, like the removal of tinted films from car windows to stop crimes !

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2015 at 11:27. Reason: Strictly no inappropriate language on this forum.
Sojogator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 13:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There are countries or parts of the world where cars dont need a fron license plate either. E.g. Kansas in the USA.

But I think a valid point. Im not sure what purpose these front license plates serve on motorbikes, especially since most of the world seems to be able to do without them. But how do you get the legislation amended. In all honesty, there are more important things in India that would/should require legislation (amendments)

Apperently, my bullet is fitted with an illegal front license plate, too small, or so I was told by cop who pulled me over about half a year ago.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 13:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are looking for any sensible amendment to Motor Vehicles Law, OCTROI, Road Tax, VAT/Sales Tax, Entry Tax, Pollution Tax, etc.., not happening brother. This is India.

Every year, the rules are getting only crazier. Sun Film ban, Fake IND Plates ban etc.. directed by the highest court in the Country as if these things changed the life of a billion people.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Apperently, my bullet is fitted with an illegal front license plate, too small, or so I was told by cop who pulled me over about half a year ago.
Jeroen

Why apparently, when you can just do a quick Google search and rectify it if needed?

http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/conn...+Registration/

Q13. How should I exhibit the Registration No.?

All letters of the Registration mark/ Number shall be in English and the figures shall be in Arabic numerals and the letters & figures shall be painted in reflecting colours and be shown :

In case of transport vehicles other than those under the rent a cab scheme 1989 in black on white ground.

Vehicles - For Motor Cycle or Scooters
Height - 35
Thickness - 7
Space - 5
(All dimensions in mm).

Cheers
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 14:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
If you are looking for any sensible amendment to Motor Vehicles Law, OCTROI, Road Tax, VAT/Sales Tax, Entry Tax, Pollution Tax, etc.., not happening brother. This is India.

Every year, the rules are getting only crazier. Sun Film ban, Fake IND Plates ban etc.. directed by the highest court in the Country as if these things changed the life of a billion people.
Agree, also there are double standards prevailing.

Few of my observations...:

: Helmet rules are so absurd here in Mumbai, that its compulsory only for the rider to wear it and not the pillion. Although its allowed if you are a cop or a traffic cop, the rule doesn't apply to you. Beat Marshalls, Patrolling cops, Traffic Cops etc, without helmets, the list is endless and I am sure every Mumbaikar would have definitely seen these.

: Crossing the JJ bridge (starting from Masjid to CST) is not allowed to bikers since there are a lot of deaths reported by bikers. Although you will be allowed if you are a cop or a traffic cop, its a given that you wont be killed even if you ride without a helmet, but if you aren't into cop services then you are at risk of dying as you will be surely driving rash.

: Driving in wrong lanes is the right of a traffic cop / police vans.

: If you own a Yamaha RX, you surely are a criminal and you will be stopped at every check-post. Although if you are a cop then the rule of 15 years passing and green tax doesn't apply to you.

: If you are a traffic police towing van then the rule of PUC doesn't apply to you. Also note that if any private vehicle is damaged via traffic cop's towing vehicles then the claims wont be paid under vehicle insurance.

: And here comes the most hilarious and ridiculous of them all.... THE RTO Office DID NOT ACCEPT MY DRIVING LICENSE AS A PROOF OF ADDRESS / AGE / OR IDENTITY when I had gone to Tardeo RTO to transfer a purchased vehicle on my name.
The Great is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 14:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
This would be so great but I doubt anyone gives a damn about it here.
!
hah! I almost fell off my chair reading this.
The law is meant only for those goody good people who follow it.

The Government implements IND plates and then starts fining people who use IND plates

The working class people get fined for not having "proper number plates" or having ind plates.

Dark tints are banned only for normal people. Goonda's and powerful people still continue using dark tints.

Cabbies, Autos and trucks get away with defective plates or sometimes no plates at all.

It only matters when the guy checking wants to make some extra side money.

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2015 at 11:28. Reason: Typos
Captain Slow is online now   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th April 2015, 14:28   #8
BHPian

all valid points. looks like my post has hit some raw nerves too. I suppose the various RTO organisations have a decades old backlog list to address. with the new road safety bill around the corner, I guess we need to start making the right noises to get all these grievances fixed too.

I would start with a stricter & more consistent rider & driver training & licensing regime, at least in the metros initially. that itself requires significant investments but it was required as of yesterday. we have a scary high accident & fatality rate in the country and it's getting worse by the day. any effective platforms to start the ball rolling? change.org?
Old 3rd June 2017, 16:30   #9
BHPian

Re: Motorbikes: Why have the front number-plate?

Reviving this old thread as am not sure where to post my query.

Is it still mandatory to have a front number plate for two wheelers ?

The reason I ask, I am planning to buy a Suzuki Access and I don't find a front number plate holder. I hate put stickers on it. So can I just trot around with the rear plate ?
Old 3rd June 2017, 17:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Is it still mandatory to have a front number plate for two wheelers ?

I hate put stickers on it. So can I just trot around with the rear plate ?
Yes, it's still mandatory as per law. The showroom will most probably provide you with a front number plate mount. Going around with just the rear number plate makes you easy prey for the cops as well as CCTV cameras (if your city has those).
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Going around with just front .... CCTV cameras (if your city has those).
I didn't get this bit. You would be seen by police or something else..?
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Many cities like Bombay, Bangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, etc have CCTV based traffic violation detection systems. So instead of constables standing to catch violators, the camera captures the offence and sends fine chalans to the registered addresses. I was referring to that.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi Sheel,

I think he is talking about those CCTV cameras installed near cross roads and all by the state's traffic department. If you are seen driving/riding around floating traffic rules, they send you a challan to the registered owner of the vehicle along with a picture of you breaking the law. We have seen cases here where challans were issued for not wearing a seatbelt or a helmet.

If I'm not wrong, you are supposed to go to the court and pay the fine.

I hope this make sense.

Cheers,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 11:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Unless some murder or rape stirs once again the nation/international & if it happens due to front number plate then there're chances that they get rid off front number plates!! Until then...we got to "enjoy" for all the tax we're crying...sorry paying!!
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 12:50   #15
BHPian

In a developing nation as ours, the presence of cameras for catching riders who jump signals is just starting up. Comparing our traffic sense or speed to those in Arizona or anywhere else really cannot make sense.
See Cochin- and no one dares jump signals at even 2AM- damn good I say.

Likewise in many areas in Mumbai- very good to that as well. Lesser scope for corruption and more traffic sense too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks