Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 14:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Pulsar RS200

I saw a lone RS200 last week in my town. Everything is OK except the outrageous rear tail lamp or whatever those things are for.

I think if any tail lamp needs to be smoked out, it will be this bikes for sure. At least a dull black sticker job to hide some of its cheesiness will be welcome.

PS - Was someone trying to replicate this look?!

My Pulsar RS200-apachertrrearimage.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 5th May 2015 at 14:54.
Old 5th May 2015, 17:57   #17

Re: Riding Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
At that speeds the tacho was at 3000rpm on 6th gear and it felt like riding any other 125-150cc vehicle.

Once past Hosur it was all sunshine and puppies and the roads were completely dry, according to the RS200 Owners Manual the recommended speed on 6th gear was 48kmph which would be achieved at around 3800rpm it ain't a perfect world hence I myself made a barrier at 4000rpm and decided never to exceed unless its extremely unavoidable. RS200 did 54-56kmph at 4000rpm on the 6th cog effortlessly, but any slight incline requires either more throttle or a lesser cog. Gearing is short and one should be precise in selecting the right cog, it struggles at 3k rpm in 6th gear in a straight stretch- meaning one just cant drive around in the same gear from 20-60kmph.
Congrats RYP . Your ride looks smashing - Wish you miles of happiness.

Just one sincere suggestion - You seem to be thinking too much about RPMs . One thing that you should never do with a new engine is "lugging" which means going on top gear at low RPM or forcing it to go when the engine is about to knock. This is more harmful than going on a bit higher RPM than recommended.
Run-in is a time when the engine needs to bed in properly so "Quick throttle" is as vicious as "Lugging". The best thing is to go through all the gears steadily with gear shifts at right RPMs and decelerate the same way.

And its not only the pistons but also the brakes, the tires and the chain/sprockets that need a run-in so the initial 100km is very crucial for its longevity. Many people even change their engine oil after this and you will be surprised to see the metal filings in it.

Just my 2 cents - Sorry if it looks like a lecture
johninflamez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 17:06   #18
RYP
BHPian

Re: Riding Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
In my opinion, the 200NS was the turning point of Pulsar. Before that, it was a not so refined bike(rather pretty crude) built for macho men. It packed some good power too.

Since the 200NS, things have changed a fair bit. The Pulsar has grown up properly, has a massive appeal to it for a wide range of customers, refinement has increased, and the bike now has an international feel.
KTM is the best thing that has happened to Bajaj. It doesn't has the R&D prowess to pull off bikes like NS & RS twins, yes 220 is a good but still crude compared to the competition. Let alone a free high revving motor they even couldn't have understood chassis engineering. KTM's technical capability made the turning point for Bajaj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I saw a lone RS200 last week in my town. Everything is OK except the outrageous rear tail lamp or whatever those things are for.

I think if any tail lamp needs to be smoked out, it will be this bikes for sure. At least a dull black sticker job to hide some of its cheesiness will be welcome.

PS - Was someone trying to replicate this look?!
Yes its quite cheesy though it looks good when seen as a single component. Certainly not the tail lamp RS200 deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninflamez View Post
Congrats RYP . Your ride looks smashing - Wish you miles of happiness.

Just one sincere suggestion - You seem to be thinking too much about RPMs . One thing that you should never do with a new engine is "lugging" which means going on top gear at low RPM or forcing it to go when the engine is about to knock. This is more harmful than going on a bit higher RPM than recommended.
Run-in is a time when the engine needs to bed in properly so "Quick throttle" is as vicious as "Lugging". The best thing is to go through all the gears steadily with gear shifts at right RPMs and decelerate the same way.

And its not only the pistons but also the brakes, the tires and the chain/sprockets that need a run-in so the initial 100km is very crucial for its longevity. Many people even change their engine oil after this and you will be surprised to see the metal filings in it.

Just my 2 cents - Sorry if it looks like a lecture
Many of those rpm numbers mentioned are for the reference to show how short-geared the RS200 really is. Its a good lecture to keep in mind though

Last edited by RYP : 6th May 2015 at 17:16.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:35   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on your new possession. Ride carefully and do run in the engine properly as per the user manual, trust me it makes a hell lot of difference. I had an NS and it wasn't run in properly for reasons beyond my control and it just killed the fun in the bike

What brand of tyres is your RS shod with? NS had the pathetic Eurogrips which were the first thing I replaced on my NS within the first 400kms.
Old 7th May 2015, 22:21   #20
BHPian

Congrats RYP!!! RS-200 is a radically different attempt by Bajaj. And by far, RS is the best product from Bajaj. Enjoy the bike mate.

Can you post the pics of illuminated LED tail lamps. Also, it must be difficult to ensure that other bikers behind don't end up rear-ending into it.

Also, what is the on-road price of the bike in Bangalore.
Old 8th May 2015, 13:48   #21
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
What brand of tyres is your RS shod with? NS had the pathetic Eurogrips which were the first thing I replaced on my NS within the first 400kms.
Luckily all RS200's come with MRF Zappers, which offers brilliant grip even on wet tarmac. Most of the current batches of NS now come with the Zappers, but still not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

Can you post the pics of illuminated LED tail lamps. Also, it must be difficult to ensure that other bikers behind don't end up rear-ending into it.

Also, what is the on-road price of the bike in Bangalore.
OTR Bangalore for Non-abs is 1,39,851 INR

My Pulsar RS200-bajajpulsar200rstaillightteaser.jpg.jpg

*Picture sourced from the web
RYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 23:35   #22
BHPian

Got my RS delivered this Sunday 10th May. Delivery was smooth and hassle-free. Since this is my first bike, getting used to it. I am 5'5" and finding the bike about an inch or two taller especially due to wide seat. The rear-view mirrors are little protruding, got them hit couple of times but all well. Feeling more comfortable after using it after two days in local city traffic. Will post detailed experience after clocking more miles.
Attached Thumbnails
My Pulsar RS200-11267649_10205886750439332_536805163_n.jpg  

My Pulsar RS200-11124472_10205886750559335_1433225227_n.jpg  

My Pulsar RS200-11267704_10205886750599336_1732870430_n.jpg  

My Pulsar RS200-11245397_10205886750519334_959080174_n.jpg  

superbhikari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 11:53   #23
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Got my RS delivered this Sunday 10th May. Delivery was smooth and hassle-free.
Congrats on the RS200 that too an ABS!

Shed some light on the experience when both the brakes are jammed and only the front wheel not getting locked and the rear locked.

Would be very helpful for prospective buyers. Its kind of a bizarre question and the only reason i didn't opt for the ABS variant.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the RS200 that too an ABS!

Shed some light on the experience when both the brakes are jammed and only the front wheel not getting locked and the rear locked.

Would be very helpful for prospective buyers. Its kind of a bizarre question and the only reason i didn't opt for the ABS variant.
Thanks. I too initially booked non-ABS model but long delivery period made me change it to ABS one.
Since the bike is still in Running-in period and me too getting comfortable with it for a while, haven't tested ABS extensively. But tried hard-braking couple of times on an empty stretch from 60 kmph speed, the front-wheel did not skid but rear one did slightly both the times.
Since I am a novice, it may also be due to unequal application of front and rear brakes but anyhow in practicality you cannot always press both the brakes with equal power. So IMO, rear tyre do skid a little as against mentioned in many reviews that it do not.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

First of all congrats to RYP and superbhikari on acquiring the Pulsar RS200. I believe it uses the same engine from the Pulsar 200 NS, has Bajaj done any retuning or modifications to the motor?

The looks of this new motorcycle is smashing and very cool. The attention to detail by Bajaj is commendable especially offering the EFi and the option to add an ABS. Among the Indian manufacturers after TVS it is Bajaj who is offering ABS as an option. It is great to see the rise and rise of Pulsar from the heydays when it used to come with a round headlamp, beefy fuel tank and 180cc engine. Bajaj sure has come a long way and transformed the Pulsar while giving options within the Pulsar range itself.

Congrats once again, I am looking forward to you guys' ownership reports. Ride Safe and remember ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) .
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 21:07   #26
RYP
BHPian

First Service

Done with the first service, and as i speculated Bajaj ASS guys kind of screwed up.

Visited Amba Bajaj for the service and told them the gear shift, low beam needed a minor work through and i was told these would be taken care of.

Got the call at around 4pm informing that bike is ready and i reached there around 5.30pm only to be told by the service advisory that the left most button in the console is not working and they cannot reset the service reminder, effectively meaning i cannot see my trip meters and now i'm stuck at odo screen. Told him it was working fine the morning and he expressed few words which could turn the blame on me, took out my mobile and showed him the cloud copy of the very photo i posted during my last trip here in t-bhp which boldly read Trip 1 : 452.1km.

Lost for words, he quickly recited "Our engineer will be here the next week and please bring the bike to let him check". After taking that SA's name and Phone no. left the place.

The First service cost break up:

Bajaj DTSi 10000_SAE20W50_210L = Rs.468/-
CF Oil = Rs.150.13/-
Oil Filter = Rs.74/-
Consumables = Rs.101.12/-
Total = Rs.793/-

CF oil is some sort of additive added to the engine oil and i'm not sure about its effectiveness. Warned them never add things like this without my knowledge. Gear shift is a bit smoother now and the lower beam i've yet to test in.

PS- The left button started working after two days, so it might well be a water clogging issue- not expected in a 1.5L motorcycle. But it never occurred during my first water wash on my trip to Salem. Have to wait and see how this pans out.

Last edited by RYP : 17th May 2015 at 21:31.
RYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 01:13   #27
BHPian

Re: First Service

Congratlations, RYP! Would love to bump into you in Bangalore someday.

Piece of advice though. Amba Bajaj, and for that matter, all service centres in Bangalore are rather bad. The only good one is Auto Service in Banashankari. I'd recommend you service from here and here only!!

Quote:
Done with the first service, and as i speculated Bajaj ASS guys kind of screwed up.

Visited Amba Bajaj for the service and told them the gear shift, low beam needed a minor work through and i was told these would be taken care of.

Got the call at around 4pm informing that bike is ready and i reached there around 5.30pm only to be told by the service advisory that the left most button in the console is not working and they cannot reset the service reminder, effectively meaning i cannot see my trip meters and now i'm stuck at odo screen. Told him it was working fine the morning and he expressed few words which could turn the blame on me, took out my mobile and showed him the cloud copy of the very photo i posted during my last trip here in t-bhp which boldly read Trip 1 : 452.1km.

Lost for words, he quickly recited "Our engineer will be here the next week and please bring the bike to let him check". After taking that SA's name and Phone no. left the place.

The First service cost break up:

Bajaj DTSi 10000_SAE20W50_210L = Rs.468/-
CF Oil = Rs.150.13/-
Oil Filter = Rs.74/-
Consumables = Rs.101.12/-
Total = Rs.793/-

CF oil is some sort of additive added to the engine oil and i'm not sure about its effectiveness. Warned them never add things like this without my knowledge. Gear shift is a bit smoother now and the lower beam i've yet to test in.

PS- The left button started working after two days, so it might well be a water clogging issue- not expected in a 1.5L motorcycle. But it never occurred during my first water wash on my trip to Salem. Have to wait and see how this pans out.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 11:32   #28
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Congratlations, RYP! Would love to bump into you in Bangalore someday.

Piece of advice though. Amba Bajaj, and for that matter, all service centres in Bangalore are rather bad. The only good one is Auto Service in Banashankari. I'd recommend you service from here and here only!!
Yes i can see many good recommendations for Auto Service in t-bhp or in any other blogs. Will surely visit them the next time.

Is this the place you are referring to > Google Maps

Last edited by RYP : 27th May 2015 at 11:33.
Old 27th May 2015, 17:09   #29
BHPian

Yes. I live near Hebbal and my NS visits auto service only. Book early, and get there in the morning if you want the best. PM me when you're going. I'll try to pass on the number of the SA (if i have it), and maybe, even join you.

Best.

Quote:
Yes i can see many good recommendations for Auto Service in t-bhp or in any other blogs. Will surely visit them the next time.

Is this the place you are referring to > Google Maps
Old 29th May 2015, 18:28   #30
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Yes. I live near Hebbal and my NS visits auto service only. Book early, and get there in the morning if you want the best. PM me when you're going. I'll try to pass on the number of the SA (if i have it), and maybe, even join you.

Best.
Thats a great gesture

Surely i'll PM you before going in for the next service!

Most Viewed