Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 23:01   #31
BHPian

Re: 1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration

Deja vu hit me when I read this thread! Nice work OP.

I'm in Poona and recently got my RX 135 sorted out. The Old block is with me and needs to be resleeved. Can't get my hands on the original block so had to make do with the thai RXK one. works fine, now that it's run in.

I'm only plagued by constant drip of oil from near the drain bolt. This being a second hand RX, poor baby has already suffered from poor maintenance and neglect

Anyone, is there any way I can get a new crankcase? I guess the previous owner had to weld the old one due to break/threading wear. My Mechanic Javed says welding it again might weaken it more, so I'm a bit skeptical about going down the welding route. Please help.
Old 21st January 2016, 13:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Deja vu hit me when I read this thread! Nice work OP.

I'm in Poona and recently got my RX 135 sorted out. The Old block is with me and needs to be resleeved. Can't get my hands on the original block so had to make do with the thai RXK one. works fine, now that it's run in.

I'm only plagued by constant drip of oil from near the drain bolt. This being a second hand RX, poor baby has already suffered from poor maintenance and neglect

Anyone, is there any way I can get a new crankcase? I guess the previous owner had to weld the old one due to break/threading wear. My Mechanic Javed says welding it again might weaken it more, so I'm a bit skeptical about going down the welding route. Please help.

You can get a new center case for 3k, however punching numbers would be a headache if you buy the whole unit since they come as 2 pieces, the best solution would be to buy a used but good set, they are available on facebook for 700-1k, you can just take the unit on the right and use the left side from your existing case, that way you don't have to get the numbers punched.

Pramod
Old 21st January 2016, 13:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
You can get a new center case for 3k, however punching numbers would be a headache if you buy the whole unit since they come as 2 pieces, the best solution would be to buy a used but good set, they are available on facebook for 700-1k, you can just take the unit on the right and use the left side from your existing case, that way you don't have to get the numbers punched.

Pramod
Ingenious solution sir, thank you. Can you guide me on where on Facebook I can get this please? Any specific group or page? Again thank you for your help with this I really appreciate it.
Old 28th January 2016, 18:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Ingenious solution sir, thank you. Can you guide me on where on Facebook I can get this please? Any specific group or page? Again thank you for your help with this I really appreciate it.
You may want to check this http://www.olx.in/item/rx100-clutch-...tml#bd1eacae76
Old 28th January 2016, 23:57   #35
BHPian

^^thanks mate. This one turned out to be for an rx100. I need one for a 135 4speed.
Old 29th January 2016, 11:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^thanks mate. This one turned out to be for an rx100. I need one for a 135 4speed.
"Crankcase Set" is common part for all RX series sold in India.

The price quoted in the ad is on the higher side. If you pay a visit to your local scrap dealer, you should be able to pick up just the right side case for much lesser. If you are unable to get a good case, aluminium welding is an option.

Last edited by Viju : 29th January 2016 at 11:57.
Old 29th January 2016, 12:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
"Crankcase Set" is common part for all RX series sold in India.

The price quoted in the ad is on the higher side. If you pay a visit to your local scrap dealer, you should be able to pick up just the right side case for much lesser. If you are unable to get a good case, aluminium welding is an option.
I agree with Viju even the 5 speed cases will directly fit on your bike.

Quote:
Instead of buying second hand, why don't you place an order with your nearest Yamaha Factory shop.

In my personal experience they take the order and place it at Faridabad factory and after a few days get it for you. Although this takes time but its worth it.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 13:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I agree with Viju even the 5 speed cases will directly fit on your bike.

Instead of buying second hand, why don't you place an order with your nearest Yamaha Factory shop.

In my personal experience they take the order and place it at Faridabad factory and after a few days get it for you. Although this takes time but its worth it.
I didn't know they still did that! I'll contact them as soon as I'm back in town and share an update. Thanks to all of you for helping out.
Old 29th January 2016, 14:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Interesting, I need to try to source Piston, Rings and Engine Bore for my RX135 from the showroon. Its needs engine rework and I want go for new bore as the old was ported to increase the power to 16 BHP.

Regards
Old 29th January 2016, 15:27   #40
BHPian

Hmm, now I'm thinking of the same thing.. Wow ported to 16 bhp..that is a good jump in power...anyone know what power to weight ratio that would be comparable to?

Happy this thread is back to life.

Mods - can we include 135 in the title to attract our friends with RX 135s please? Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 05:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't know they still did that! I'll contact them as soon as I'm back in town and share an update.
Actually, Yamaha India discontinued the supply of engine cases sometime last year. They don't have any stock left at their warehouse either. This was confirmed by someone at the warehouse. I wanted to buy one last year, and finally had to buy from a stockist who had one engine case set remaining with him.

Anyway, no harm in trying your luck. Do let us know what happens.
Old 31st January 2016, 05:48   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mods - can we include 135 in the title to attract our friends with RX 135s please? Thanks
I have my separate threads for RX135 & RXG restoration.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...storation.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...amaha-rxg.html
Old 31st January 2016, 17:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Thanks Mr. Boss. Looks like a treasure trove of all things 135. Thank you for sharing. At the moment the 390 is consuming my attention. It will be a while before I get back to the RX to upgrade it..
Kameshwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 06:14   #44
BHPian

Me.boss, thank you for the wonderful pictures of the restore, surely brought back good old memories from my college days.
Can you let me know the mechanic details and the approximate cost of restore? I have my rx that needs some restoration as well. It's not in running condition and will need some major overhaul
ikoneer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:24   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Can you let me know the mechanic details and the approximate cost of restore? I have my rx that needs some restoration as well. It's not in running condition and will need some major overhaul
Mechanic contact details:
Mr.Elango
Sri Sivasakthi Automobiles, Urapakkam

Cost depends on the current condition of your bike and the quality of output that you expect. To get a rough estimate check out my other restoration threads (RX135 & RXG)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks