Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 00:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: KTM RC 390 Ownership Review

I agree with Motard_Blr.

Temporary using a battery with a higher Ah number won't cause any problems at all as long as the voltage is the same as the OEM battery.

The Ah number indicates the number of amps the battery can deliver for one hour.
It is not an indication of some sudden larger amount of power that may harm the motorcycle.

If for instance, a battery is rated at 7Ah, it can supply 7 amps for one hour, 14 amps for 1/2 hour or 28 amps for 15 minutes.

Even using a battery with a smaller Ah rating like a 5Ah won't damage the motorcycle but the battery will run down much faster if it is used to supply enough current to start the engine.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 19:47   #17
BHPian

Thanks Jim. That clarifies a lot on the Ah question.

As for the battery. I dropped it at a garage near my place on my way to work yesterday. Today evening when I went there to collect it, he confessed that he had only put the battery on charge in the afternoon. And the multimeter was showing 5.3. He asked to collect it tomorrow. Something didn't feel right. I collected the battery and than decided to take it to an authorised and exclusive Exide showroom.

Total cost- Nil for the garage. And 40 INR with a receipt at Exide showroom.

Last edited by mehuel : 19th June 2015 at 19:48.
Old 20th June 2015, 14:16   #18
BHPian

Finally sigh of relief. Got the battery back, multimeter reading was 13.4. Battery is back in the bay. All electrical seem ok for now. Bike started without any drama.

Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
KTM RC 390 Ownership Review-img_201506206450.jpg  

KTM RC 390 Ownership Review-img_2015062016381.jpg  

mehuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 14:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
Finally sigh of relief. Got the battery back, multimeter reading was 13.4. Battery is back in the bay. All electrical seem ok for now. Bike started without any drama.

Thanks everyone
Is it just me or is that a very scary position for OE placement of a battery?
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 14:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Is it just me or is that a very scary position for OE placement of a battery?
Doc, thats exactly what has been bugging me, but I didn't want to bring it up, while mostly trying to stay oblivious to the pertinent danger.

Even when I was putting the battery back i first connected the negative terminal and than as soon as I touched the positive wire to the terminal, it sparked like hell. I disconnected the negative one and than moved on the connect the positive one first. Not sure if this was the right way to begin with. When I moved on to connect the -ve, it did spark but nothing scary. An all this time I was thinking about the proximity to the tank. I mean battery is literally inside the tank.

I hope KTM/Bajaj has tested this aspect and used some insulation. I get a feeling that a lot of things can go wrong here.

Last edited by mehuel : 20th June 2015 at 14:41.
Old 20th June 2015, 14:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope KTM/Bajaj has tested this aspect and used some insulation. I get a feeling that a lot of things can go wrong here.
In that case I hope they also tested low-siding the bike on tarmac at high speed in a shower of sparks and the ignition still on.
Old 20th June 2015, 15:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
In that case I hope they also tested low-siding the bike on tarmac at high speed in a shower of sparks and the ignition still on.
That's scary stuff, Doc.

And I wondered why other manufacturers have not implemented this mass centralising, space saving and tank size reducing design philosophy .
Old 20th June 2015, 15:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's scary stuff, Doc.

And I wondered why other manufacturers have not implemented this mass centralising, space saving and tank size reducing design philosophy .
To be fair, Kinetic has done exactly the same, albeit in reverse on my son's Kinetic 4S, where the battery is directly behind and abutting the petrol tank.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 16:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
To be fair, Kinetic has done exactly the same, albeit in reverse on my son's Kinetic 4S, where the battery is directly behind and abutting the petrol tank.
That's good to know Doc. I guess the rest of the scooter family like activas and all must have the same outlay. Now I can slip deep into the abyss of my oblivion and forget about the proximity of battery to the tank. Anything deeper than that and I'll forget the battery even exists
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 10:42   #25
BHPian

I was going through the Manual on ktm website, its not a service manual but its a bit more elaborate than the owner manual handed over with the bike.
http://www.ktm.com/service/manuals/

One thing interesting to note was that all the versions be it Europe, Asia, Australia, the manual recommends 15w 50 but the one I have mentions 20w 50.

Now I am a fan to Motul 300v (15w50) since the day it has been available in India and have been using it in the R15 till date.
I was just wondering if anyone has used it on the RC or Duke for that matter, and if so, what is the feedback, if any?

One more question, has anyone gone the DIY way with servicing the bike?
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:02   #26
BHPian

There is only 1 ASC in Noida for the Dukes named Suman Bajaj (0120-4226530). It's in sector 2 right beside Sector 15 metro station. I have been getting my D200 serviced there for the last 2.5 years now and work is good.

If you go there just meet up with Rinkoo (the guy with the mustache) and Asif (the mechanic). Insist on Asif servicing the bike, you can also tell them that you were referred by me (Rohit) and they would be more than glad to help.
munchy_cool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
There is only 1 ASC in Noida for the Dukes named Suman Bajaj (0120-4226530). It's in sector 2 right beside Sector 15 metro station. I have been getting my D200 serviced there for the last 2.5 years now and work is good.

If you go there just meet up with Rinkoo (the guy with the mustache) and Asif (the mechanic). Insist on Asif servicing the bike, you can also tell them that you were referred by me (Rohit) and they would be more than glad to help.
Rohit, that name rings some bells, Was it you I had a discussion about the slipper clutch retro fitting on the RC at the CP showroom, the day i took delivery?

And thanks for the service station address, I was looking for that, and for your reference too
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Rohit, that name rings some bells, Was it you I had a discussion about the slipper clutch retro fitting on the RC at the CP showroom, the day i took delivery?
No dude, it wasn't me. I have never been to the CP showroom.
Old 25th June 2015, 19:23   #29
BHPian

Some updates.

I got the bike serviced yesterday. Bike had done a little over 1100 kms and even though I had decided to take it to noida for service this weekend but just thought of paying visit to the service center near Vaishali (Ghaziabad). Reached there around 4 pm and service advisor assured that it won't take more than 2 hrs.

I just got a good vibe there and decided to give it a try. No complains. Not much any ways. I asked them not to wash the bike( I have always been pernickety about washes and haven't had any of my bike's washed at service centers in over 8 years) I always wash the bike a day before taking it to service, they see the clean bike and no disputes.

But this was not the case yesterday as I was returning from work and well, record broken. The bike was pretty clean but they still insisted so it was agreed upon that no soap/shampoo will be used and washing guy would use mild pressure to just get dirt off. Though he didnot abide, resulting in some portions where the radiator fins have bent.

Note to self: engagement for weekend, try to straighten fins.

Other than that, no complains.

As for after service feedback about the bike! There is absolutely no change what so ever

I will switch to motul 15w 50 after 3000 kms with filter change and we'll take it from there. Till then I won't be pushing the bike much, maybe occasional short bursts to 9000 rpm. But that's it.

Service cost : 1320 INR for engine oil. 73.99 for oil filter.
Total : 1394 INR

Last edited by mehuel : 25th June 2015 at 19:26.
Old 16th July 2015, 05:21   #30
BHPian

Need urgent help. Potholes have taken their toll. Stuck in gurgaon with front alloy cracked and rear bent. Can someone please tell where is the service center located. Preferably a contact number aswell.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM RC 390 Ownership Review-20150716_043014.jpg  

KTM RC 390 Ownership Review-20150716_043031.jpg  

KTM RC 390 Ownership Review-20150716_043138.jpg  

mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks