Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 23:17   #31
BHPian
 
pathik810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Anand
Posts: 25
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
A) Would look at the float level.
But considering it is a homebrew, would look at two other things: Is the carb level? And in normal idling, is the butterfly position controlled by the idling screw, or by the throttle cable , which is shifting position when using the front brake lever.
Talking about the two things you have mentioned, can you please elaborate what "Is the carb level?" means? Couldn't figure it out exactly.
For the 2nd thing, the butterfly position is controlled by the idling screw and the throttle cable is entirely free and it is not shifting position rigidly while I use my front brake or even if I turn my handle bar left or right at extreme. However the problem which I am facing does not only happens when I pull the front brake and shake my bike but it also happens when I am just sitting and just bounce my self a bit while sitting, or say when I keep the rear wheel of the bike at a higher level on a step or something. Also, when I decelerate the bike just by using the rear brakes or both the brakes. In short it is happening when the front portion of the bike is leaned downwards.
pathik810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 11:14   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 542
Thanked: 873 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik810 View Post
Talking about the two things you have mentioned, can you please elaborate what "Is the carb level?" means? Couldn't figure it out exactly.
For the 2nd thing, the butterfly position is controlled by the idling screw and the throttle cable is entirely free and it is not shifting position rigidly while I use my front brake or even if I turn my handle bar left or right at extreme. However the problem which I am facing does not only happens when I pull the front brake and shake my bike but it also happens when I am just sitting and just bounce my self a bit while sitting, or say when I keep the rear wheel of the bike at a higher level on a step or something. Also, when I decelerate the bike just by using the rear brakes or both the brakes. In short it is happening when the front portion of the bike is leaned downwards.
Sutripta means that you need to check whether the carb is horizontal. If the carb is tilted, the jet may be only partially submerged in the float bowl. When the fuel sloshes around because of braking, tilting, acceleration, etc., the jet may no longer be submerged in fuel causing fuel starvation. Two things to do are to first ensure that the carb is mounted horizontally and then to check the float height.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 21:48   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,021
Thanked: 3,607 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

As Motard blr has explained.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:32   #34
BHPian
 
pathik810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Anand
Posts: 25
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Hello Everyone,

Kindly excuse since I have been away from this project. Basically I could not succeed in installing the BS33 carburettor because it proved to be over sized for my 350 CC AVL. Faced a lot of minor issues like uneven idle, jamming of un burnt fuel in the intake manifold, black smoke from exhaust and really low fuel efficiency, lower than I expected. I tried different combinations of the pilot and main jets as well but it did not work.

Finally I ended up fixing the BS 29 carburettor with stock jets. Dint had to change any thing after that. It is running perfectly till date with increased gear shifting range with low vibrations and increased acceleration. Also, it did not make any great impact on the milage as well.

And yes, with the increased shifting range, I have to take care for not revving it too high because as a side effect, oil seals start leaking.

Thank you!
pathik810 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 15:34   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 174
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Hi pathik810,
Thanks you for the info on carburettor.
I have an Machismo A350, which comes with an AVL engine. My carburettor stopped working and could not find an alternate. I did try MiKi carburettor, but ended up with incorrect fuel mixture.
Just to confirm, BS29 will be the only option? And is your engine similar to Machismo A350?
Venky
GrayBerry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 12:04   #36
BHPian
 
pathik810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Anand
Posts: 25
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Hi GrayBerry,
You are most welcome. Sorry for being soo late to reply. Not been active over here since long.

Hope that your problem is solved by now. If not, following is some information for you!

The BS26 is basically the stock carburettor, if you want your bike to be stock then you can fetch the same from market. If you are unable to find it in the market, and also want to upgrade, then BS29 is the only option. It will work smooth on your AVL.

And yes, TB350 AVL and Machismo 350AVL both are same.
pathik810 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 15:06   #37
BHPian
 
Crankpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

You could also try the VM28 (RD350) or one of it's licensed copy made by Mikarb in India.

The VM series of round-slide carburetors work well on a bullet and are slightly more responsive than the standard CV carburetor only issue being, you might have to re-jet it.

You can find bigger sized VM30s as well online. Also sudco.com makes some carburetors and jets. For jets, try http://www.jetsrus.com/

Most REs with carburetors came with very lean jets which made the engine run lean and hot. So you can start with up-jetting it till you find the sweet spot.

Pulsar carburetors will have to be re-jetted as well and might not work perfectly as a plug and play option.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 16:02   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwinprakas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kollam
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 2,694 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
You could also try the VM28 (RD350) or one of it's licensed copy made by Mikarb in India.
The CI 500 came with a VM28 optimized for 4 Strokes.

Cost me 1,350/-(Ex. Shipping) when bought from Delhi Motorcycles back in 2012.

Since an OEM spare they can be sourced from RE spares outlets provided they have it in stock.

Quote:
Pulsar carburetors will have to be re-jetted as well and might not work perfectly as a plug and play option.
Know a fellow enthusiast who rides a AVL 500 with a Pulsar 150 carburetor, leaves mud flying every time he starts rolling from a standstill.

He didn't have much info about the jetting though as it was done by his mechanic.
ashwinprakas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 17:17   #39
BHPian
 
katoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik810 View Post

Finally I ended up fixing the BS 29 carburettor with stock jets. Dint had to change any thing after that. It is running perfectly till date with increased gear shifting range with low vibrations and increased acceleration. Also, it did not make any great impact on the milage as well.

Thank you!
You can get the vacuum port slightly enlarged for a more peppy mid-range. I had gotten such a slide from Chinmay Dangre, Pune. But this has to be precise and better not done by FNG folks!
katoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 18:20   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwinprakas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Kollam
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 2,694 Times
Default Re: Enfield: Upgrade from BS26 to BS29 carburetor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
You can get the vacuum port slightly enlarged for a more peppy mid-range. I had gotten such a slide from Chinmay Dangre, Pune. But this has to be precise and better not done by FNG folks!
Just to add, if increasing port diameter or drilling secondary hole, make sure to re-tune idle circuit as with a modified slide quick throttle actions tend to significantly lean out the fueling causing the motorcycle to bog down and die or knock under load.

Chinmay is a wonderful person to get in touch with, back in the day when aftermarket jets were hard to source, I'd get it from him, pricing was steep at 650/- per drilled jet IIRC, but nonetheless ensured the motorcycle ran well.

Once while transitioning to the VM's from the CV I was absolutely clueless on installing the carburetor end of the cable in the slide, Chinmay was kind enough to come on Skype and show me how it was done, and this in spite of me not having purchased any of the said parts from him.

One of the better folks in the business without a doubt.
ashwinprakas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esteem engine (carburetor) needed asap nitroxx Shifting gears 1 12th April 2015 16:22
Need help for my old zen carburetor satish_tns Technical Stuff 4 26th August 2009 23:52
My Experience of using Carburetor Spacer finetuning Technical Stuff 13 15th September 2008 17:08
Help Carburetor....Bullet 500>>or<<RD 350 malvechaitanya Motorbikes 9 31st August 2008 14:50
Difference Between MPFI/Carburetor LPG Kit ? gameonrwind Modifications & Accessories 4 6th March 2008 14:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks