Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 12:16   #76
BHPian

Re: Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
This is now in showrooms, so any initial impressions by anyone?

The Ninja I booked is still 2 weeks away and this comes into picture. Both are neck to neck.
Which would be better between N300 and R3?
Any guesses on upkeep costs of this compared to N300?
Aniket6 - I haven't seen R3 in flesh, but by now, you must be knowing what to expect and not expect between R3 vs N300. In fact there is nothing much to choose between these two and finally it boils down to what one prefers. Comparing the rest of the things like top end power at redline, acceleration, etc., is only for the academic purpose. For me, one good thing I see about Ninja 300 is the fuel tank capacity (14 vs 17 L). For R3, the good thing is its ground clearance (125 mm vs 160 mm) and it is very important especially in Indian conditions. Rest is left to what you like.

If I remember correctly, one of the reviews was mentioning that there is one place where R3 lags behind Ninja 300 and that is the handling department. Probably this may not be so important for regular use unless some one goes to the tracks often. A test drive of both should confirm this.

Finally you won't go wrong with any of these two.

Last edited by shan_ned : 4th September 2015 at 12:19.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 12:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
The first lot of bikes in the South of India has arrived. Bangalore Wheels in Bangalore has placed the order of the Maximum R3s in India. He has the reputation of selling the maximum number of super bikes too. The bike is initially invoiced to the owner of the dealer making him the owner of the maximum number of R3s in India Each truck came in with 5 bikes, neatly placed. Being the first bike in South of India, the bike went through a 3 hour PDI with all gadgets possible being as simple as a steel scale to a detailed online diagnostic tool. One line impression. Fits in just perfect between the R15 and the R6.
Were you able to check the make and model of the tyres on the bike?
Old 4th September 2015, 12:22   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
The first lot of bikes in the South of India has arrived. Bangalore Wheels in Bangalore has placed the order of the Maximum R3s in India. He has the reputation of selling the maximum number of super bikes too. The bike is initially invoiced to the owner of the dealer making him the owner of the maximum number of R3s in India Each truck came in with 5 bikes, neatly placed. Being the first bike in South of India, the bike went through a 3 hour PDI with all gadgets possible being as simple as a steel scale to a detailed online diagnostic tool. One line impression. Fits in just perfect between the R15 and the R6.
Hey Abhishek,
Thanks for this info, both colours look nice on R3!
What was your impression of the bike? Any more details?
and any idea when the test rides will begin?
Old 4th September 2015, 12:38   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Were you able to check the make and model of the tyres on the bike?
MRF Zapper S if I remember it right. 140/70 R17 in rear. 110/70 in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Hey Abhishek,
Thanks for this info, both colours look nice on R3!
What was your impression of the bike? Any more details?
and any idea when the test rides will begin?
Perfect fit in between the R15 and the R6. Any question like size, pickup, sound etc is right in between R15 and R6. I liked the overall build quality. Engine was typical Yamaha. Smooth and gradual accelerations.

Test ride will not happen soon. Whatever will come to the dealers will be sold out.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:09   #80
BHPian

I popped into Bangalore Wheels on Saturday, to check out the R3. There was no crowd, as no one seemed to be aware of their presence. There were two bikes, signature blue and the Red and black combo.

Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs-img20150905wa0047.jpg

My observations:

Size wise, it's very similar to R3. Wheelbase, tire size are almost the same as R15. This can go two ways:

a) You retain the good handling and chuckable nature of the R15, but with more power.
b) People can confuse it with the R15, since dimensionally it's very similar, doesn't give the big bike feel.

Fit and finish was good overall, but quality of plastics, especially around the console, in-fill panels felt poorer than Ninja 300. Headlight design is much better than the R15 aesthetically. Performance wise, yet to be seen

Pillion seat is lower than R15, so it won't look as awkward. Ergonomics wise, very similar to a Ninja 300, will have to do a side by side comparo to go into details.

Saree guard is hideous, but will be removed in most cases I guess.
hifisharu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:05   #81
BHPian

Yamaha R3 - Ownership Review

A quick review for all prospective buyers. This is compiled by few riders together and has a bit of details which might give you a decent amount of insight into the bike.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:42   #82
BHPian

Re: Yamaha R3 Poor Sales Figures

The R3 is suffering poor sales, seems like a deja vu of the Inazuma story ?

Source
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:51   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

The Yamaha dealer I visited today, Vinayak Yamaha, has bikes in stock but was not willing to offer a test ride. The only way to do so was to make a booking for Rs 30,000 and if you cancel it they will refund Rs 25,000. Which means they pocket a cool 5K if you dont like it after test riding it

I gave them my contact details and told them to call me only if they are willing to change their policy on giving test rides. The sales guy said he will talk to his management and get back to me in a few days. I am not holding my breath on that one.

I read up quite a bit on the bike and overall it is a wonderful offering from Yamaha if you keep price out of consideration. As great as the bike might be, Yamaha dealers are delusional if they think they can charge 5000 rupees for test rides. People used to laugh at Hyosung dealers who used to ask for Rs 500 for test rides. I wonder what they will have to say about Yamaha!

No wonder the sales numbers are low.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 2nd December 2015 at 18:53.
Old 7th January 2016, 14:03   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The Yamaha dealer I visited today, Vinayak Yamaha, has bikes in stock but was not willing to offer a test ride. The only way to do so was to make a booking for Rs 30,000 and if you cancel it they will refund Rs 25,000. Which means they pocket a cool 5K if you dont like it after test riding it ....
Spoke to Bangalore on Wheels (Yamaha dealer in Rajajinagar) and the person on phone confirmed that the test ride can be arranged if I visit them on Saturday. Just try speaking to another dealer !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks